St. Joseph Hospital

St. Joseph Hospital Employer Reviews

Compassion combined with the best medicine
Acute Care medical surgical RN (Former Employee), Bellingham, WADecember 5, 2013
Pros: numerous free educational opportunities
Cons: very very sick patients in a community with decreasing mental health care options.
I enjoyed working at St. Joseph very much. The educational opportunities never ceased. The managers truly cared about employees and made every attempt to keep home and work-life balanced.
The administration at St. Joseph truly cared about the patients and the staff, making for a very supportive environment for nursing.
like a family
Pediatric floor nurse/ ed staff nurse (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 2, 2013
Pros: was not streeful to work their
worker and management knew each other we were like a family away from home
Excellent company and staff .
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee), Tampa, FLNovember 25, 2013
Pros: great learning environment an excellent staff!!
Cons: n/a
Very high paced environment.You learn something new every day teamwork and flexibility a must.Very supportive and knowledgeable management.Co-workers very supportive of each other and still very professional and productive.The hardest part is dealing with things you cannot change such as young people needlessly dying and children who cant protect themselves.But – more... the best part is knowing you can help others in many ways very rewarding! – less
Somewhat negative environment in the dietary department
Nutrition Care Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, KYNovember 23, 2013
For the most part I enjoyed my time spent working here. Some of the co-workers were really hard working, down to earth people. Negative attitudes seemed to crowd out the positive on a regular basis making this unfulfilling work.
Productive and great place to work at.
Patient Representative (Current Employee), Paterson, NJNovember 22, 2013
Pros: pay, benifits, facilities, training, safety. it is a wonderful place to work.
Cons: employee parking is not that great.
It feels great to know that at the end of the day you are leaving home knowing that you made a difference in someone’s life by helping them. And there's lots of professional staff who I enjoy working with they are more like family.
fast paced and great atmosphere
Student Nurse (Former Employee), Warren, OHNovember 21, 2013
excellent nursing staff and great student / teaching hospital
Great place to work, excellent team work.
Critical Care Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Orange, CANovember 20, 2013
Cons: none to my knowledege
Working in St. Joseph Hospital was a very rewarding experience.
Pre register patients
Admitting/Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee), West Bend, WINovember 20, 2013
I pre register patients, direct patients where to go, schedule appointments, sign in patients for their appointments
fun work place, good place to advancement
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Orange, CANovember 18, 2013
The most enjoyable place to work, it uplifting to help people in need, and care for. Typical day of work it's always busy, you learn a lot in nursing dept. You make lots of friends even co-workers give you a hand, when needed. And you learn new positions in the field and in the hospital.
A great place to work
Technical Specialist - Special Coagulation Lab (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 18, 2013
Pros: great place
Working at Saint Joseph's Hospital provided me the opportunity to work in a friendly and progressive environment. The work culture and team activities allowed me to apply my professional skills in contributing to the total organizational philosophy.
Published for this hospital
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2013
Learned a lot in the cardiology department and wrote a published paper on "broken-heart syndrome."
Great teaching evironment
Clinical Nurse (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 13, 2013
First hospital of my experience. Great people. Hospital no longer in business. But we were all a big family and still run into those around town, talk, laugh and reminisce about the "good ole days" and mourn those who continue to pass away.
Great facility
RRT RCP (Former Employee), Bellingham, WANovember 12, 2013
This was my first RRT job as a new grad. I got hands on experience in a progressive setting with all patient populations and many respiratory therapist driven protocols, which got me thinking on my feet at the start of my RRT career.
great place to work
Staff Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Nashua, NHNovember 11, 2013
top notch medical care, very patient focused. Treated staff with great respect
Surgical Technician
Surgical Technician (Former Employee), Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2013
Scrubbed for all surgical specialties. Extremely helpful staff. This healthcare system was affiliated with the college I received my Nursing degree from, played a key role in my future development.
Average Job with average pay
Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2013
Pros: good team work on nights
Cons: overwhelming at times, you're just a number to them.
I'm going to be as objective as possible here and give you a review of some of the processes of the microbiology lab. I was at St. Joseph's hospital and this has been my experience.. I worked third shift and part of second. A typical day you come in and help process samples and plate them or if you were working PCR or some other assignment that day – more... you would do that. At the end of the day, you would pull a pending log and make sure everything was accounted for - often times there was work left over for the incoming shift (higher volume lab). I feel like this job would best be served by a tech with experience in a high volume lab. If you are a new grad, interested in learning as much about microbiology as you can, you're probably better served elsewhere.

Training: They follow the rule: show one, do one, and then you're trained. They expect you to know what you're doing by the second time you are shown something. My check off list for things to be trained on included multiple sections of procedures not done in that lab anymore (1 - 2 pages full). Some procedures that we do do, I was never trained to do, so I found it frustrating when the lead tech would assignment me something I hadn't had a clue what to do.

Management: After the week I was hired, they pulled everyone in a lab meeting and told us they were merging the two microbiology labs - and that positions might be eliminated. During that meeting, a couple of techs got into a conversation with the director where I overheard him say, "Med techs are a dime a dozen." (which actually, people and companies like him are a "dime a dozen.") My immediate manager was more often aloof and really didn't know the processes of the laboratory. You can tell this by overhearing a conversation with the lead tech, where the lead tech would say something along the lines of, "why are you creating more work?"

Culture: Half the people I've talked to on the phone, have been incredibly rude - this might be just because it's Tampa, or it might be the hospital and it's stresses affecting the personal. I would have to call central receiving and once got, "whatever, I sent it, I don't have time for this." Another response I got was, "Are you new or something?" I've had numerous nurses call down asking for results and when I tried to explain to them what was happening, they wouldn't even let me speak...just straight talked right over me - why call for an explanation if you're not going to listen?

So the following experience pretty much sums up my time at St. Joesph's Hospital in downtown Tampa: At a orientation class, they gave us a project to walk and greet all the employees and visitors of the hospital and say hi to them. I walked out of the orientation smiled and greet the first employee with a hi - which was met with a scornful face and a less than stellar hi back...

So in conclusion, this has been my experience. This may or hopefully never be your experience if you choose to work for this company. I will repeat this, however, if you're a new grad in the medical technology field, you're probably better served working as a generalist in a small hospital setting and figuring out which department you like the most. If your heart is on microbiology, you're probably better served training somewhere else. If you're an experienced tech (8 years +), and/or have worked in a higher volume lab, this job may a piece of cake for you! – less
I lake my job.
Driver/Recreational aide (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYNovember 10, 2013
I work from 8:00am to 4:00pm. at 8 to 10:30 I have to pick-up the registrants then I do activity whit them from 10:30 to 11:30 from this time to 12:00 they do exicise at 12:00 to 1:00 is my luch at 1:00 another activity (bingo,horseshoe,dart ect.) to 2:00, and 2:00 to 4:00 drop the registants to home.
I no have problem whit my management, same whit – more... my co-workerd all job is hard and I enjoy all my job and I learmed responsabitity and many much. – less
Outstanding customer care and relations
CNA (Former Employee), Bangor, MENovember 8, 2013
An exceptional place to work. Customer satisfaction is key. On going employee support and educational opportunities.
Team work is a must!
LPN (Former Employee), Highland, ILNovember 6, 2013
Working for SJH was certainly a "happy staff" environment. Great team work and customer service was a must. Staff is treated very well in this hospital. Phenomenal patient care!
was able to work and help out patients
Medical Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Paterson, NJNovember 5, 2013
Pros: free lunch, friendly environment
Cons: when some areas were not tidy or as clean as it should be
It was interesting helping out in various departments. My favorite was the premature baby department. I was able to nurture each baby by changing their diaper, feed them, and bathe them.

About St. Joseph Hospital

Community Health Systems (CHS) isn't much of a city dweller. The hospital operator prefers small-town America, owning or leasing about – Read more

St. Joseph Hospital Photos