St. Joseph Medical Center

St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

was once a good/great place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
One reviewer indicated that the hospital was bought out of bankruptcy. I do not believe this is accurate. Their parent company was indeed bankrupt, but I believe the doctors took over and they were doing quite well financially. The insurance was incredible, PTO was very competitive, and there was a family atmosphere. Unfortunately, IASIS bought the hospital and promptly made it a bad to horrible place to work--they combined sick/vacation leave to PTO and reduced the combined PTO to less than the original vacation leave; insurance changed for the worse; and at one point they took away the guaranteed 401K match that was $1:$1 for the first 5% then later made it $0.25:$1. A company that cares about its employees would never do this.
benefits
growth in Day Surgery Hospital setting
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2015
Relocation to Houston provided close proximity to SJMC. Area of job relocaton to Day Surgery was desired. Benefits and salary below previous job in NJ. Found Management average compared to past management experience as well as job cultrue. Planning relocation back to NYC/NJ area due to husband's job and seeking job in Day Surgery/Outpatient location.
Enjoyed new experiences in hospital setting as compared to strictly free standing facility and growth at this present job in Houston and working with other colleagues.
Pros
Close proximity
Cons
salary/benefits
poor place to work
imaging (Former Employee) –  downtownSeptember 29, 2015
This company was bought out of bankruptcy. CFO only cares about their bottom line and making profits. They have removed almost all managerial employees over the past year, leaving one or two incompetent overworked mangers to do handle the jobs of those laid off. They run understaffed and leave those employee who are working in an unsafe environment at risk of jeopardizing their licenses. In turn patient care is poor and patient treatment and safety is not a priority. Also they require too much from employees. Do not pay benefits to part time workers putting in over full time hours, including large amounts of on-call. May be good option for a desperate employee, not a place you'd want to stay very long.
Pros
expeirence
Cons
bad moral
changelling
Linen Attendant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 29, 2015
Sorry, but do not want to discuss this one. over worked, over work load.

only like working weekends.

hardest part was the outside third party company.
Pros
good benefits/salary
Cons
hard time inadvancement
Great staff to work with
Internship Health Information Management (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2015
I enjoyed doing my internship in the Medical Records Department. The manager was very helpful when I had questions about the Health Information Management career field. I also enjoyed learning about the different aspects of this career field.
Pros
Healthcare benifits
good place to work
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2015
st.joseph medical center is an good place to work, employees there are good we work as a team to the job done, and we also communicate with each other. we have meetings or huddles. the benefits are also good. the place all together is a wonderful place to work at.
The hardest part of the job
Emergency Department Patient Care Area Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 12, 2015
Although it was difficult volunteering in the ER room, there was a lot to learn. Making rounds while ensuring all of the rooms were fully stocked was difficult. It was interesting learning about types of diseases just by observing the symptoms. For example, yellowing of a patient's skin indicated problems with liver. It was interesting to know to know as soon as code blue was called the entire team of nurses, doctors and ED tech gathered up together to help saves of many patients. Code blue indicated cardiac arrest. There were a lot of sepsis alerts. Even though a lot of precautions were needed, the doctors wore their gown, masks and gloves to observe the patients. It was such a tremendous experience to have.
Pros
Every day different type of salads
Productive and fun
Inpatient Physical Therapy Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 24, 2016
Fun and good learning place.
Therapist and nurses are great to work with and always willing to help and teach.
Everyone works well together and support each other.
Bad place to work at
Nurse (Former Employee) –  TelemetryAugust 4, 2012
unsafe assignments. inadequate training. management does not address concerns. favoritism. very heavy politics. some directors are very weak. lazy coworkers. no time for breaks. ER staff are mostly new grads and trained inadequately. bad work ethics. suboptimal infection prevention practices. errors are likely to occur. pharmacy makes errors. will not recommend to family and friends. salary is not really competitive unless you work weekends. don't let this hospital fool you, whatever the cons are, it's not worth it. staff have been in the ER for job stress. new nurses preceptoring newer nurses. new employees precepting each other???!!!!!
Pros
job security because they will always need staff
Cons
staff turnover, workload, no teamwork, management useless, bad staff morale and work ethics
Great place to work, and there is always something to learn
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 16, 2014
Clock in ready to work, make sure up put a hair net on, and wash your hands. Make sure keep hands washed through course of the day. Work on tray-line, catering for different meetings, and I work in the café. In the café you work the grill, cashier, serving, and your always cleaning, sanitizing, sweeping, and moping. Management are easy to get along with, and co-workers are to. I don't think that there is a hard part to doing my jobs because you just do it and get it done. Catering, it can be a lot to do but, it is a challenge, and at the end of the day I know I done a good job.
Pros
pick up shifts from other workers, meeting people from other departments.
Cons
good benifits, vacation

Want to know more about St. Joseph Medical Center?

Ask a question
Great Atmosphere.
Medical Staff Admin Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2016
Everyone works together to get the job done. Great work ethic from the employees. All voices are heard and rewarded for a job well done. I believe in St. Joseph.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Cafeteria closes at 2 pm everyday.
Wonderful experience
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2016
I worked for the company for about two years. The experience was wonderful. I met alot of interesting people. And I enjoyed my job as well
very very busy place
RT (Former Employee) –  Polson, MTMarch 3, 2016
Staff is great all over the center with great care given to patients
Really enjoyed the staff miss working with them. just did not like the long winters, just to cold up there.
Not a friendly envirement
Unit Secretary- Admissions (Current Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 8, 2013
If you are a hardworker and want to advance in this company. This will not happen. Management will use your skills to advance themself and make them look good, but put you down and give you more and more work untill you are the only one running the show. There was several horriable comments coming from managment that was repeated to other co-workers and they continued to be harrisment. I went to HR about the issues and nothing was done not even a simple apology. I was denyed vaction time several time even told that management was not comfortable not having me working. I had extra rules and restrains on me because i was too efficent. I was also told by management "sometimes it is better to be stupid" when I was asked about my advancement. I even took work home and had no compensation for it.

The good part about this job is that you are helping the inner city people and doing the mission of SJMC even tho you are not reconized for it.
Pros
helping public
Cons
short lunches
same as above
cna and unit secretary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2015
same as i already submitted a review for this hospital and all of the issues that are also involved with it. management is a joke, no one likes to work there and it shows
Rehab/Detox of Adult Patient
STAFF NURSE ON BEHAVIORAL HEALTH UNIT (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 30, 2015
Nurse/patient ratio of 8 patients; learned computer charting, and managing meds and treatments of many different patients and psychiatric diagnoses. Those detoxing; those having trachs and gastrostomy feedings, along with the behavioral issues, etc. My co-workers were organized and helpful to work with; the hardest part of the job was to learn the correct/most helpful response to a psychotic patient. The most enjoyable part was to see a patient become so much better, and back to their former personality, i.e. in the case of electroshock having a very beneficial effect.
Pros
Those patients getting better, and families getting them back
Cons
Patients who would not get better, and families being in despair
Laboratory with very high tech machinery
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 29, 2015
I believe St. Joseph Medical Center has one of the biggest laboratories in the state. This lab had very high tech machines including a automated line that ran specimens automatically. Very friendly co-workers and staff. The managers were very nice and had a open door policy, they always encouraged my growth and learning. The hardest part of the job would be the smell that comes from Microbiology. The most enjoyable was being able to work in every aspect of the lab. I was one of the very few lab techs that were able to work in every single part of the lab except Blood Bank.
Pros
Huge lab with lots of new machines
Cons
The lab was located in the basement of the hospital almost secluded from the rest of the hospital
employment
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 17, 2016
typical day includes processing new patients, preparing charts, entering orders, printing patient summary for nurses

work as a team

pto rules unfair
Psjmc
Financial Counselor/Registration Rep (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 11, 2015
Same as previous rating for this company. The job was rewarding to a degree. There was minimal roo for growth. Education was not necessarily rewarding.
Pros
location
Cons
compensation
Closed one office and opened two from the beginning. Had to travel thirty minutes one way.
Office Coordinator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 29, 2015
Learned a lot about how to run an entire office from having nothing to getting it up and running. Learned hoe to order supplies, both medical and office supplies. Performed Medical Assistant duties, Receptionist duties and mail handeling duties.
Co-workers were great to work with. Hardest part of the job was the drive to and from work. Most enjoyable aspect was the indepence of running an medical office with little supervision.
Pros
Free lunches from the medication representatives and allowed to leave for doctors' appointments.
Cons
Long commute, small pay increases.