St. Joseph Medical Center

St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

I really enjoyed my co-workers
RN Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 5, 2016
I like working at St.Josephs (Family Birth Center) and I feel like our managers do the best they can but their hands get tied by upper management. Like many places, we sometimes struggle with safe nurse to patient ratios and getting all our breaks. The majority of the days we get 3/4 to half of our breaks on day shift. The reason we don't get our breaks is because they cut our staff too short or we don't have enough nurses. The pay is good. The benefits are the worst I have ever seen compared to other hospitals I've worked. Parking is free but horrible! The equipment is failing, old, or broken. The wall are chipped. The waiting room has stained chairs. Our staff room is cramped. It's embarrassing how run down this hospital is. There are not enough work stations.
Pros
Co-workers and managers
Cons
Parking, in safe patient/nurse ratios/horrible benefits
Fast paced, high stress environment with excellent opportunities for advanced clinical experience
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 5, 2016
12 hour shifts with at least 6-8 patient coverage in addition to trauma room coverage. I have learned extensive clinical experience from dealing with major trauma clientele to caring for the acute care patient in addition to critical care patients. The hardest part of the job is dealing with family members in traumatic situations and also having to compartmentalize all of what I have to experience on a day to day basis.
Pros
Patients praise in saving their life and helping them through their ER experience
Cons
Experiencing the constant drama of death, dying, and sadness surrounding the ED
Judas company
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2016
This company is below standards for what I am used to in working as a nurse. They have poor management who do not support the staff. There is no feeling of being appreciated. There is no room for growth. Benefits are terrible. This company is so unstable right now and I have heard has been for years. They do not support you. I know for fact. Not professional at all.
Pros
Cheap parking, close to home
Cons
Nonsupportive management, poor benefits, no support from colleagues
I learned much about new technologies,and management treated their employees respectfully
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 22, 2016
I enjoyed working here for several reasons, Management was fair and all of the company benefits were one off the best, for the most part my co-workers were team players and easy to work with, the company was very good about giving performance evaluations which helped communications
Pros
Great company benefits and worker respect from management
Cons
Raises were very infrequent, and often required to work double shifts
St Joseph's Medical Center was a gratifying place to work and I especially apprieciated their parking garage.
Clerical Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2017
A typical day at work included getting report from the tech that was leaving and the RN that was coming on. I would learn a lot about the patients I would be working with that evening and what they would be needing. Generally the night included taking vitals, admitting new patients, and generally handling concerns that the patients and the RN's needed me to handle as they arose. I had the privilege of working for a hospital that valued teamwork and recognized an individuals abilities whether they were a manager or a CNA. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was working with the sickest of patients and their families. Actually I can't call it enjoyable but fulfilling would be a more appropriate term.
Great hospital with large rehab department.
Staff Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 6, 2017
My time was divided between the subacute unit, the orthhopedic floor and the rest of the acute care hospital. I enjoyed exposure to lots of different diagnoses and patients. There was good cooperation between the therapists and the management was understanding and interested in providing top notch care to the patients.
Fun working with my co-workers
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 11, 2016
I worked the front office in this position, and I also worked in the lab area. This was a difficult place to work because of management. I believe that the managers in the department that I worked in were rude and out of touch with reality.
The hardest part of the job was working with the management, but the job itself wasn't hard at all. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the different aspects of our lives that we could discuss while working on registration of samples.
was once a good/great place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
One reviewer indicated that the hospital was bought out of bankruptcy. I do not believe this is accurate. Their parent company was indeed bankrupt, but I believe the doctors took over and they were doing quite well financially. The insurance was incredible, PTO was very competitive, and there was a family atmosphere. Unfortunately, IASIS bought the hospital and promptly made it a bad to horrible place to work--they combined sick/vacation leave to PTO and reduced the combined PTO to less than the original vacation leave; insurance changed for the worse; and at one point they took away the guaranteed 401K match that was $1:$1 for the first 5% then later made it $0.25:$1. A company that cares about its employees would never do this.
benefits
Very valuable learning experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 28, 2017
Very diverse work group. Different cultures enhanced the experience. Team work needs to be aggressively addressed, for the patient/family as well as the staffs' sake. Overall, I am glad to have had the experience at this institution.
growth in Day Surgery Hospital setting
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2015
Relocation to Houston provided close proximity to SJMC. Area of job relocaton to Day Surgery was desired. Benefits and salary below previous job in NJ. Found Management average compared to past management experience as well as job cultrue. Planning relocation back to NYC/NJ area due to husband's job and seeking job in Day Surgery/Outpatient location.
Enjoyed new experiences in hospital setting as compared to strictly free standing facility and growth at this present job in Houston and working with other colleagues.
Pros
Close proximity
Cons
salary/benefits
Ventilator management, blood gas assessments, attended all high Risk delivers
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Collaborated with Neonatologist, attended all high risk delivers, intubated neonates when necessary, placed patients on acute ventilator systems.
Pros
Learned all aspects of respiratory care and its application.
poor place to work
imaging (Former Employee) –  downtownSeptember 29, 2015
This company was bought out of bankruptcy. CFO only cares about their bottom line and making profits. They have removed almost all managerial employees over the past year, leaving one or two incompetent overworked mangers to do handle the jobs of those laid off. They run understaffed and leave those employee who are working in an unsafe environment at risk of jeopardizing their licenses. In turn patient care is poor and patient treatment and safety is not a priority. Also they require too much from employees. Do not pay benefits to part time workers putting in over full time hours, including large amounts of on-call. May be good option for a desperate employee, not a place you'd want to stay very long.
Pros
expeirence
Cons
bad moral
very slow
Concierge/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2017
When I first started working for this company they had just hired a new CEO. They were making a lot of adjustments that many employees did not like. However, I was happy and did not have any complaints.
Bad place to work at
Nurse (Former Employee) –  TelemetryAugust 4, 2012
unsafe assignments. inadequate training. management does not address concerns. favoritism. very heavy politics. some directors are very weak. lazy coworkers. no time for breaks. ER staff are mostly new grads and trained inadequately. bad work ethics. suboptimal infection prevention practices. errors are likely to occur. pharmacy makes errors. will not recommend to family and friends. salary is not really competitive unless you work weekends. don't let this hospital fool you, whatever the cons are, it's not worth it. staff have been in the ER for job stress. new nurses preceptoring newer nurses. new employees precepting each other???!!!!!
Pros
job security because they will always need staff
Cons
staff turnover, workload, no teamwork, management useless, bad staff morale and work ethics
changelling
Linen Attendant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 29, 2015
Sorry, but do not want to discuss this one. over worked, over work load.

only like working weekends.

hardest part was the outside third party company.
Pros
good benefits/salary
Cons
hard time inadvancement
Great Place to Work
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 25, 2017
A great place to work in a fast paced environment, with flexible schedules, where you receive lots of hands on training, where the patients come first.
Not a friendly envirement
Unit Secretary- Admissions (Current Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 8, 2013
If you are a hardworker and want to advance in this company. This will not happen. Management will use your skills to advance themself and make them look good, but put you down and give you more and more work untill you are the only one running the show. There was several horriable comments coming from managment that was repeated to other co-workers and they continued to be harrisment. I went to HR about the issues and nothing was done not even a simple apology. I was denyed vaction time several time even told that management was not comfortable not having me working. I had extra rules and restrains on me because i was too efficent. I was also told by management "sometimes it is better to be stupid" when I was asked about my advancement. I even took work home and had no compensation for it.

The good part about this job is that you are helping the inner city people and doing the mission of SJMC even tho you are not reconized for it.
Pros
Helping public
Cons
short lunches
Great place to work, and there is always something to learn
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 16, 2014
Clock in ready to work, make sure up put a hair net on, and wash your hands. Make sure keep hands washed through course of the day. Work on tray-line, catering for different meetings, and I work in the café. In the café you work the grill, cashier, serving, and your always cleaning, sanitizing, sweeping, and moping. Management are easy to get along with, and co-workers are to. I don't think that there is a hard part to doing my jobs because you just do it and get it done. Catering, it can be a lot to do but, it is a challenge, and at the end of the day I know I done a good job.
Pros
Pick up shifts from other workers, meeting people from other departments.
Cons
Good benifits, vacation
St. Joseph Hospital
Clinical Nurse and Admissions (Former Employee) –  1401 St. Joseph ParkwyJuly 22, 2016
I held quite a few jobs at St. Joe. St. Joe became a second home for me. Twenty-nine years of employment went by relatively fast. I met so many wonderful co-workers, nurses, doctors, and techs while at St. Joe. I learned how to be a great med surg nurse, critical care nurse, admissions nurse, and transitional care nurse.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Working every other week-end for 12 years while at St. Joe
Great way to work with a skilled staff
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2016
My typical day at work was pretty routinely. I learned multiple things and different ways to take care of someone in need of care on any level. My coworkers were the best, everyone pulled their weight which caused for a smooth shift each day.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Joseph Medical Center Reviews by Location