St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

I really enjoyed my co-workers
RN Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 5, 2016
I like working at St.Josephs (Family Birth Center) and I feel like our managers do the best they can but their hands get tied by upper management. Like many places, we sometimes struggle with safe nurse to patient ratios and getting all our breaks. The majority of the days we get 3/4 to half of our breaks on day shift. The reason we don't get our breaks is because they cut our staff too short or we don't have enough nurses. The pay is good. The benefits are the worst I have ever seen compared to other hospitals I've worked. Parking is free but horrible! The equipment is failing, old, or broken. The wall are chipped. The waiting room has stained chairs. Our staff room is cramped. It's embarrassing how run down this hospital is. There are not enough work stations.
Pros
Co-workers and managers
Cons
Parking, in safe patient/nurse ratios/horrible benefits
Fun working with my co-workers
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 11, 2016
I worked the front office in this position, and I also worked in the lab area. This was a difficult place to work because of management. I believe that the managers in the department that I worked in were rude and out of touch with reality.
The hardest part of the job was working with the management, but the job itself wasn't hard at all. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the different aspects of our lives that we could discuss while working on registration of samples.
Fast paced, high stress environment with excellent opportunities for advanced clinical experience
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 5, 2016
12 hour shifts with at least 6-8 patient coverage in addition to trauma room coverage. I have learned extensive clinical experience from dealing with major trauma clientele to caring for the acute care patient in addition to critical care patients. The hardest part of the job is dealing with family members in traumatic situations and also having to compartmentalize all of what I have to experience on a day to day basis.
Pros
Patients praise in saving their life and helping them through their ER experience
Cons
Experiencing the constant drama of death, dying, and sadness surrounding the ED
Judas company
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2016
This company is below standards for what I am used to in working as a nurse. They have poor management who do not support the staff. There is no feeling of being appreciated. There is no room for growth. Benefits are terrible. This company is so unstable right now and I have heard has been for years. They do not support you. I know for fact. Not professional at all.
Pros
Cheap parking, close to home
Cons
Nonsupportive management, poor benefits, no support from colleagues
Great way to work with a skilled staff
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2016
My typical day at work was pretty routinely. I learned multiple things and different ways to take care of someone in need of care on any level. My coworkers were the best, everyone pulled their weight which caused for a smooth shift each day.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Short breaks
St. Joseph Hospital
Clinical Nurse and Admissions (Former Employee) –  1401 St. Joseph ParkwyJuly 22, 2016
I held quite a few jobs at St. Joe. St. Joe became a second home for me. Twenty-nine years of employment went by relatively fast. I met so many wonderful co-workers, nurses, doctors, and techs while at St. Joe. I learned how to be a great med surg nurse, critical care nurse, admissions nurse, and transitional care nurse.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Working every other week-end for 12 years while at St. Joe
I learned much about new technologies,and management treated their employees respectfully
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 22, 2016
I enjoyed working here for several reasons, Management was fair and all of the company benefits were one off the best, for the most part my co-workers were team players and easy to work with, the company was very good about giving performance evaluations which helped communications
Pros
Great company benefits and worker respect from management
Cons
Raises were very infrequent, and often required to work double shifts
Wonderful experience
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2016
I worked for the company for about two years. The experience was wonderful. I met alot of interesting people. And I enjoyed my job as well
Productive and fun
Inpatient Physical Therapy Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 24, 2016
Fun and good learning place.
Therapist and nurses are great to work with and always willing to help and teach.
Everyone works well together and support each other.
very very busy place
RT (Former Employee) –  Polson, MTMarch 3, 2016
Staff is great all over the center with great care given to patients
Really enjoyed the staff miss working with them. just did not like the long winters, just to cold up there.
employment
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 17, 2016
typical day includes processing new patients, preparing charts, entering orders, printing patient summary for nurses

work as a team

pto rules unfair
Great Atmosphere.
Medical Staff Admin Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2016
Everyone works together to get the job done. Great work ethic from the employees. All voices are heard and rewarded for a job well done. I believe in St. Joseph.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Cafeteria closes at 2 pm everyday.
changelling
Linen Attendant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 29, 2015
Sorry, but do not want to discuss this one. over worked, over work load.

only like working weekends.

hardest part was the outside third party company.
Pros
good benefits/salary
Cons
hard time inadvancement
same as above
cna and unit secretary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2015
same as i already submitted a review for this hospital and all of the issues that are also involved with it. management is a joke, no one likes to work there and it shows
The hardest part of the job
Emergency Department Patient Care Area Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 12, 2015
Although it was difficult volunteering in the ER room, there was a lot to learn. Making rounds while ensuring all of the rooms were fully stocked was difficult. It was interesting learning about types of diseases just by observing the symptoms. For example, yellowing of a patient's skin indicated problems with liver. It was interesting to know to know as soon as code blue was called the entire team of nurses, doctors and ED tech gathered up together to help saves of many patients. Code blue indicated cardiac arrest. There were a lot of sepsis alerts. Even though a lot of precautions were needed, the doctors wore their gown, masks and gloves to observe the patients. It was such a tremendous experience to have.
Pros
Every day different type of salads
Productive and busy workplace.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 3, 2015
A easy paced work environment with a great supportive staff which includes, RN, SW, clerical and administration. One of the greatest Home Care Agency that is located in Yonkers, NY. Our staff cares about patient quality and safety.
growth in Day Surgery Hospital setting
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2015
Relocation to Houston provided close proximity to SJMC. Area of job relocaton to Day Surgery was desired. Benefits and salary below previous job in NJ. Found Management average compared to past management experience as well as job cultrue. Planning relocation back to NYC/NJ area due to husband's job and seeking job in Day Surgery/Outpatient location.
Enjoyed new experiences in hospital setting as compared to strictly free standing facility and growth at this present job in Houston and working with other colleagues.
Pros
Close proximity
Cons
salary/benefits
Best hospital to work at.
RN on Labor and Delivery Unit (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 31, 2015
Community hospital feel with excellent standards and staff. Cardiovascular unit is one of the best. OB unit is also top notch. excellent physicians and caring staff.
Great learning experience
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 24, 2015
I completed my gerontology clinical rotations here and the staff was very kind and helpful. I learned a lot during my rotation.
Punitive unsupportive management
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston TxOctober 23, 2015
Turnover at Heights location very high. No appreciation of staff. Nursing management harsh, speak in disrespectful way in front of others. No staff input. Attitude that staff can be replaced , retention not important.
Pros
Cons
Staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Joseph Medical Center Reviews by Location