St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

Slow and steady
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 20, 2017
The business has changed management a couple times but they are trying to get it together. There isn't a lot of business from the community as they are the only hospital in the immediate downtown Houston area.
Overall okay place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2017
It is a good start for new grads to gain experience quickly. There are many opportunities for career advancement if you are willing to apply yourself.
Disorganized
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2017
I started as a new grad RN at this facility. The clinical staff were very disorganized and I did not feel safe practicing at this facility long term. I do appreciate it gave me an opportunity to start as a new nurse in a hospital system.
Overcrowded Hospital
Student Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 8, 2017
There was a new partnership in which the hospital started accepting a new insurance provider which sky-rocketed the number of number patients being seen. It was apparent staff are overworked but not a lot was being done to hire new people-- thus hostility brewed and there was not great communication between different HCPs
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2017
I have learned so much, just need a change of environment desperately. And I also need to be able to transfer better with working closer to home. I would like to be closer to home to help me maintain a better balance with my family.
Great place
Register Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 1, 2017
Great place to work and lots to learn. You have lots of different types of patients. Lots of critical and stressful situations. As well as stressful at times to work
It was a nice place to work
Nurse Technician/ Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 17, 2017
I worked 12 hour shifts and I did learn a lot from the nursing staff. Most days started off busy and were long. It was a lot of friendly staff. The most difficult part of the job was seeing families upset about some the their loved ones health conditions . The most enjoyable part for me was watching people recover and get back to good health
Pros
Staff
Cons
Working holidays
Great Place to be a PA
Surgical Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 28, 2017
I was hired as a first assist with little more responsibility than just being available to assist surgeons in a number of surgical specialties. I begged for more responsibility and opportunities to grow my skill set, knowledge and abilities. My director and others in administration were receptive to my desire to continue to grow in my role and provide ample opportunities for further education and latitude to expand my scope of practice throughout the hospital, working in interventional radiology, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, etc. the administration has been incredibly supportive from say one and aim to help me maintain a good work-life balance which is difficult in the surgical disciplines.

This is a great place to work, excellent administration and wonderful supportive and friendly colleagues.
Pros
Ample PTO, education reimbursement, excellent health benefits and competitive salaries
very out going love my job.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJune 27, 2017
this job was very much enjoying I love working with peoples
iwas a baker work on the trayline made nourishment.Also put away stock .wrapping silver as needed for the tray.made sandwiches for the doctor .Prepare the saladbar prep it work as a cashier.
Oncology floor
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 24, 2017
Very difficult to take care of 4-5 patients effectively when one or two are crashing and need a higher level of care and ICU or PCU refuse patients unless a code is called.
Rewarding work but terrible communication
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2017
Large amount of turn-over owing to difficulties with hospital certification. I've enjoyed working here but do not intend to be long-term. Rewarding work but terrible communication from management.
great place to work
Surgical Posting Technician (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 14, 2017
typical day at work involved meeting new people
management was great
the hardest part of the job was leaving
most enjoyable part of job was benefits
workplace culture was a plus
Pros
great work benefits, free parking
Cons
redesign of facility
Our huge and successful volunteer department does not fit the mold of typical hospitals.
Volunteer Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 7, 2017
Patient count is down so Prime is cutting jobs to make payroll.
I loved working with ALL the generous and talented volunteers.
We performed many patient transports and varied clerical jobs that helped the nurses stay with their patients and the staff get their jobs done. We were a unique department. I will miss not being there.
Pros
Volunteers
Good place to work employees are very kind
OR Nurse (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJune 1, 2017
St. Joseph Medical Center is a good place to work. It's an Archdiocese hospital run by nuns to help indigent patients. Employees in this hospital are very friendly and helpful. The hospital has a good benefit for all employees.
Good Work Teams
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2017
It's a pretty good place to work. It can be demanding and hours are long compared to a regular job. The staff is pretty awesome and knows how to work as a team.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Short Breaks and can be very demanding
efficient work place
Staff Nurse, Department of Post-Surgical (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2017
a nice place for work. staff there are so kind and nice to each other. med-surg floors are so busy during dayshifts. very great place for new graduates.
Pros
cheap parking in down town area
Amazing learning experience.
Externship Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2017
My supervisor and the entire rehabilitation department was friendly and helpful to me as a student extern. I very much enjoyed working with the team and gaining clinical knowledge.
Human Resource Intern
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 19, 2017
As a Human Resources Intern I assisted the Human Resources Director with a wide range of projects related to HR compliance, recruiting, onboarding/orientation, employee benefits, employee relations, and administrative functions.
Good hospital, management a bit screwy
Physical Therapist in Metropolitan (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 19, 2017
Overall a good place to work, but management needs some retooling. High volume of patients sets a frenetic pace, poor software makes documenting a chore
Pros
Good benefits, kind people
Cons
Poor PRN availability, high turnover
i truly enjoy my job and enjoy working here
Linen Supervisor / Manger (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 13, 2017
I get to meet and greet lots of people I have the chance to learn something new every day. Been working for st. joseph many years seen lots of people come and go. seen a lot of changes here and I am still standing.