St. Joseph Medical Center

St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

Fast paced, high stress environment with excellent opportunities for advanced clinical experience
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 5, 2016
12 hour shifts with at least 6-8 patient coverage in addition to trauma room coverage. I have learned extensive clinical experience from dealing with major trauma clientele to caring for the acute care patient in addition to critical care patients. The hardest part of the job is dealing with family members in traumatic situations and also having to compartmentalize all of what I have to experience on a day to day basis.
Pros
Patients praise in saving their life and helping them through their ER experience
Cons
Experiencing the constant drama of death, dying, and sadness surrounding the ED
I learned much about new technologies,and management treated their employees respectfully
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 22, 2016
I enjoyed working here for several reasons, Management was fair and all of the company benefits were one off the best, for the most part my co-workers were team players and easy to work with, the company was very good about giving performance evaluations which helped communications
Pros
Great company benefits and worker respect from management
Cons
Raises were very infrequent, and often required to work double shifts
Judas company
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2016
This company is below standards for what I am used to in working as a nurse. They have poor management who do not support the staff. There is no feeling of being appreciated. There is no room for growth. Benefits are terrible. This company is so unstable right now and I have heard has been for years. They do not support you. I know for fact. Not professional at all.
Pros
Cheap parking, close to home
Cons
Nonsupportive management, poor benefits, no support from colleagues
Fun working with my co-workers
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 11, 2016
I worked the front office in this position, and I also worked in the lab area. This was a difficult place to work because of management. I believe that the managers in the department that I worked in were rude and out of touch with reality.
The hardest part of the job was working with the management, but the job itself wasn't hard at all. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the different aspects of our lives that we could discuss while working on registration of samples.
was once a good/great place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
One reviewer indicated that the hospital was bought out of bankruptcy. I do not believe this is accurate. Their parent company was indeed bankrupt, but I believe the doctors took over and they were doing quite well financially. The insurance was incredible, PTO was very competitive, and there was a family atmosphere. Unfortunately, IASIS bought the hospital and promptly made it a bad to horrible place to work--they combined sick/vacation leave to PTO and reduced the combined PTO to less than the original vacation leave; insurance changed for the worse; and at one point they took away the guaranteed 401K match that was $1:$1 for the first 5% then later made it $0.25:$1. A company that cares about its employees would never do this.
benefits
growth in Day Surgery Hospital setting
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2015
Relocation to Houston provided close proximity to SJMC. Area of job relocaton to Day Surgery was desired. Benefits and salary below previous job in NJ. Found Management average compared to past management experience as well as job cultrue. Planning relocation back to NYC/NJ area due to husband's job and seeking job in Day Surgery/Outpatient location.
Enjoyed new experiences in hospital setting as compared to strictly free standing facility and growth at this present job in Houston and working with other colleagues.
Pros
Close proximity
Cons
salary/benefits
St. Joseph Hospital
Clinical Nurse and Admissions (Former Employee) –  1401 St. Joseph ParkwyJuly 22, 2016
I held quite a few jobs at St. Joe. St. Joe became a second home for me. Twenty-nine years of employment went by relatively fast. I met so many wonderful co-workers, nurses, doctors, and techs while at St. Joe. I learned how to be a great med surg nurse, critical care nurse, admissions nurse, and transitional care nurse.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Working every other week-end for 12 years while at St. Joe
Great way to work with a skilled staff
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2016
My typical day at work was pretty routinely. I learned multiple things and different ways to take care of someone in need of care on any level. My coworkers were the best, everyone pulled their weight which caused for a smooth shift each day.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Short breaks
Bad place to work at
Nurse (Former Employee) –  TelemetryAugust 4, 2012
unsafe assignments. inadequate training. management does not address concerns. favoritism. very heavy politics. some directors are very weak. lazy coworkers. no time for breaks. ER staff are mostly new grads and trained inadequately. bad work ethics. suboptimal infection prevention practices. errors are likely to occur. pharmacy makes errors. will not recommend to family and friends. salary is not really competitive unless you work weekends. don't let this hospital fool you, whatever the cons are, it's not worth it. staff have been in the ER for job stress. new nurses preceptoring newer nurses. new employees precepting each other???!!!!!
Pros
job security because they will always need staff
Cons
staff turnover, workload, no teamwork, management useless, bad staff morale and work ethics
changelling
Linen Attendant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 29, 2015
Sorry, but do not want to discuss this one. over worked, over work load.

only like working weekends.

hardest part was the outside third party company.
Pros
good benefits/salary
Cons
hard time inadvancement

Want to know more about St. Joseph Medical Center?

Ask a question
Not a friendly envirement
Unit Secretary- Admissions (Current Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 8, 2013
If you are a hardworker and want to advance in this company. This will not happen. Management will use your skills to advance themself and make them look good, but put you down and give you more and more work untill you are the only one running the show. There was several horriable comments coming from managment that was repeated to other co-workers and they continued to be harrisment. I went to HR about the issues and nothing was done not even a simple apology. I was denyed vaction time several time even told that management was not comfortable not having me working. I had extra rules and restrains on me because i was too efficent. I was also told by management "sometimes it is better to be stupid" when I was asked about my advancement. I even took work home and had no compensation for it.

The good part about this job is that you are helping the inner city people and doing the mission of SJMC even tho you are not reconized for it.
Pros
Helping public
Cons
short lunches
poor place to work
imaging (Former Employee) –  downtownSeptember 29, 2015
This company was bought out of bankruptcy. CFO only cares about their bottom line and making profits. They have removed almost all managerial employees over the past year, leaving one or two incompetent overworked mangers to do handle the jobs of those laid off. They run understaffed and leave those employee who are working in an unsafe environment at risk of jeopardizing their licenses. In turn patient care is poor and patient treatment and safety is not a priority. Also they require too much from employees. Do not pay benefits to part time workers putting in over full time hours, including large amounts of on-call. May be good option for a desperate employee, not a place you'd want to stay very long.
Pros
expeirence
Cons
bad moral
Great staff to work with
Internship Health Information Management (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2015
I enjoyed doing my internship in the Medical Records Department. The manager was very helpful when I had questions about the Health Information Management career field. I also enjoyed learning about the different aspects of this career field.
Pros
Healthcare benifits
Wonderful experience
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2016
I worked for the company for about two years. The experience was wonderful. I met alot of interesting people. And I enjoyed my job as well
Great place to work, and there is always something to learn
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 16, 2014
Clock in ready to work, make sure up put a hair net on, and wash your hands. Make sure keep hands washed through course of the day. Work on tray-line, catering for different meetings, and I work in the café. In the café you work the grill, cashier, serving, and your always cleaning, sanitizing, sweeping, and moping. Management are easy to get along with, and co-workers are to. I don't think that there is a hard part to doing my jobs because you just do it and get it done. Catering, it can be a lot to do but, it is a challenge, and at the end of the day I know I done a good job.
Pros
Pick up shifts from other workers, meeting people from other departments.
Cons
Good benifits, vacation
Productive and fun
Inpatient Physical Therapy Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 24, 2016
Fun and good learning place.
Therapist and nurses are great to work with and always willing to help and teach.
Everyone works well together and support each other.
The hardest part of the job
Emergency Department Patient Care Area Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 12, 2015
Although it was difficult volunteering in the ER room, there was a lot to learn. Making rounds while ensuring all of the rooms were fully stocked was difficult. It was interesting learning about types of diseases just by observing the symptoms. For example, yellowing of a patient's skin indicated problems with liver. It was interesting to know to know as soon as code blue was called the entire team of nurses, doctors and ED tech gathered up together to help saves of many patients. Code blue indicated cardiac arrest. There were a lot of sepsis alerts. Even though a lot of precautions were needed, the doctors wore their gown, masks and gloves to observe the patients. It was such a tremendous experience to have.
Pros
Every day different type of salads
Competitive
Health Information Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 21, 2013
Records management, customer service, learned more about what goes into completing a medical record. I enjoyed working with my co-workers, they are a good group, very honest. The hardest part of the job was working under pressure and getting mixed messages from management because they often left you in the dark, and there are many rumors that float around, with very little clarification.
Pros
Very diverse, happy atmosphere, professional
Cons
Not much room for advancement without the proper education
same as above
cna and unit secretary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2015
same as i already submitted a review for this hospital and all of the issues that are also involved with it. management is a joke, no one likes to work there and it shows
very very busy place
RT (Former Employee) –  Polson, MTMarch 3, 2016
Staff is great all over the center with great care given to patients
Really enjoyed the staff miss working with them. just did not like the long winters, just to cold up there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.