St. Joseph Medical Center

St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

Bad Management
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 20, 2015
Employess are excellent at what they do, whether a environmental service worker, café server or registered nurse. The environment is friendly. Management isn't the best. Switching companies made management harder on their employees while treating with poor respect.
Stressful short staffed / No incenatives/Holidays very few are given
patient access (Former Employee), houston texasMay 7, 2015
Pros: employee lunch discount
Cons: short lunch very few holidays off
Employed here many years. When Iasis purchased St Joseph the facility went down.Patient Access director hired mostly all outside friends or aquaintances from previous jobs she managed. Which was very unfair to employees who have been with St Joseph for 12-16 years. Most of staff are currently on FMLA family leave of absence with patient access department.Unfortunately leaving only one or two employees to do the work. Very heavy work load .Downsized and short staffed. Very important information know if you are terminated and you have abundance if PTO time remaining St Joseph donot pay PTO if they terminate you. You are forced zo have services rendered at St Joseph in order for insurance to pay at higher rate.That isn't fair because you should be allowed to go to other facilities if your choice.Vacation changed for patient access once Iasis bought St Joseph. We have to work christmas eve new years eve and day after thanksgiving.So keep mind holidays are not a given.Seriously have very high turnover rate. Most of the deligent long time workers were either laid off or let go. So when you earn your pto use it or you may just lose it.Especially since they are notorious for cutting back by laying off or terminating staff. Learning experience for me being dependable earning accruing Pto only to be denied reimbursement for it upon termination.
The job is good management is horrible
Clerical Technician (Current Employee), Towson, MDApril 12, 2015
Cons: no lunch breaks
Been there for almost 10 years and the management is getting horrible i never had a boss that does not say good morning to you when she comes in. She even told me once that I don'twant you on the unit today im let you work somewhere else that is nothing you tell an employee. There is no communication and staffing is horrible.
Great way to get your foot in the door with such a large company
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 10, 2015
I enjoyed working with patients and there families and watching them heal and feel alive again. Leadership was very lacking and weak which made it hard to find chances to learn more and grow with the practice
PSJMC
Financial Counselor/Registration Rep (Current Employee), Joliet, ILMarch 11, 2015
Pros: location
Cons: compensation
Same as previous rating for this company. The job was rewarding to a degree. There was minimal roo for growth. Education was not necessarily rewarding.
Peds Unit
Secretary (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARFebruary 27, 2015
It was face paced which i really like. Great staff to work with. The hardest park of the job was ready Doctors orders. I loved working with the peds.
Doctors Office
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2015
A very unorganized area at times from managers to HR questions. Most times it took longer than two weeks for responses. Also hard to find parking and always need to watch out for homeless.
Great Learning Environment
PCU RN (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great learning environment, great team work
Cons: catholic health initiatives lacks respect for employees. due to patient load, very hard to get breaks without working overtime.
Staff works very well in team environment. RN with 2-3 Patients. 1 aid every 8-9 patients. Very diverse patient population with specialty areas in TBI, Trauma/ Medicine, Cardiac (post open heart). This is a true PCU with advanced drips, high patient acuity. Room to advance into ICU 's if desired.
Nurse (RN), ICU charge nurse (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2015
The shift starts at 0630 am with working round report and detailed hand over report including crash cart check and Nacotic reconcilliation and count at the pyxis medication machine. As a charge nurse have to make sure all staff have reported to duty and our unit cell phone assign to each staff. Start with my ICU patient assessment and getting to know my patient and family, check their lab. results and any other diagnostic test done like echocardiogram or MRI to obtain the reult, if abnormal will inform the primary or the consultant immdiately. Assignment completed with immediate oral care and pericare, if patient on po diet and a diabetic, will check blood sugar and proceed to assissting patient to eat or patient is a feeder, them medicate patient with schedule meds. As a chage nurse have to go at 0915 for our interdiciplinary meeting for 30.minutes. Back to the unit, will check with ER for patient needing beds and coordinate and assign patients to bed and nurses. have to help draw blood or insert NGT to help out my co-oworker. The hardest part of my job is repidly recognizing and responding on timely manner to a patient crashing either cardiac or pulmonary before the patient on into cardiac arrest and co-ordinating with physicians. The most enjoyable part of my job is caring for my patient with good outcome and getting along as a team with my co-workers.
TRANSPORTATION
Patient Transporter (Current Employee), TOWSON, MARYLANDJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: nice hospital decent place to work
Cons: bad communication skill, overtime can be unavailable most of the time
PUSH PATIENTS AROUND ON STRETCHERS, WHEELCHAIRS, BED TO THERE TESTS, PROCEDURES, OPERATIONS AND DISCHARGING THEM FROM THE HOSPITAL, SOMETIMES WE WILL TAKE DEAD BODIES TO THE MORGUE ON THE MORGUE STRETCHER IN A BODY BAG....
nice culture
Facility Manager - Standard Parking (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
nice place to work i really enjoyed sharing with people from different culture and different place
Friendly environment
Director Assistant and lead medical assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2015
Have been able to grow professionally. Clinical and administrative duties daily.
Hard to believe that I have been here for almost 9 years.
Facilities Support Coordinator (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: health benefits decline
This job has worked for me because not one day is ever the same. I like it when all of our co-workers work together during an emergent issue.

It's time to move closer to my home state of Pennsylvania to be closer to my family.
Staff was dedicated and wanted to assist the ill.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Towson, MDJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: nice people; environment
Cons: lunch at desk; seldom had time to leave work area
Very stressful environment with heavy workload in the area where I worked. Co-workers pitched in when help was required.
Not so much of a great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee), Tacoma, WaDecember 10, 2014
I worked in the Environmental Services Department at St. Joseph, their was a lot going on at the time, but managment really didnt do a good job with the staff, and St. Joesph organization really didnt make environmental services feel apart of the team, with all the other departments in the hospital.
Registration
ED Patient Access Representative (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOOctober 30, 2014
I enjoyed my position here.I worked with some great people and they were very flexible.
Great place to work Part-time
Diagnostic Imaging Representative (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: team mentality
Cons: short staffed
The weekends are some of the most enjoyable times. My co-workers are much more easy going and less stressed. Yes we run on a skeleton crew, but everyone does their part and all task get completed quickly and efficiently.
Grat peers
CAT SCAN TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee), Paterson, NJSeptember 17, 2014
Great people to work with day in day out. There was no management to speak of though. That was a little concerning.
Great people
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: some days might get late lunch
I've currently worked at St. Joseph for the past four years. I started out as a CNA and then later became a CST. My co workers are honestly some of the best people I've ever had the privilege to work with. A typical day in the OR involves printing that days schedule, writing the board and then pulling for the cases. Myself and the other Techs then complete the cases for that day. Due to the self governing nature of my department I've learned a lot about time management and planning ahead. The nature of my job might be considered stressful by some, but having the right people surrounding you makes it all worth it .
Fun Place to work.
DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOAugust 26, 2014
Fun place to work but also a lot of learning. I enjoyed helping with the special events and helping the "Friend of St. Joseph's" board members. Had a great trainer.

1 2 3 4 5

About St. Joseph Medical Center

For 125 years St. Joseph Medical Center has provided an ever-increasing range of services to residents in the Greater Houston – Read more

St. Joseph Medical Center Salaries