St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

things you should know
Labor & Delivery Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2018
after the company was sold by the Sister of Charity the facility was turn over and sold three to four time. even at one time is run two years just by the doctors and employee.
Big hospital
Office Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 13, 2018
Thought I always wanted to work in a big city hospital. Not so much after working here. Patients do not get personalized care and management not supportive of staff.
Fast Paced
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 8, 2018
This was a very challenging job. You could not survive if you were not a quick learner. Everything was fast paced for you were dealing with the emergency department and peoples lives were at stake.
Pros
Really enjoyed this job
Cons
It was only temporary
fast paced and fun
Physician Reference Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2018
average day was busy
i learned much about all areas of the lab
management was great
workplace was like a family
hardest part was just keeping up
most enjoyable part was the challenge
Great Hospital but this was just a temp job for me
CT/X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2018
I worked in various modalities while I finished my internship. Hardest part of the job is that it was physically demanding and was EXTREMLEY fast paced.
Pros
Loved the Medical side of the position
Cons
Not great pay
needs improvement
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2017
this place needs to be shut down...the hospital is constently laying off staff....hopefully another hospital buys this place soon. needs a lot of work
Its work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2017
Its a job but it has very slow pay and at may time very understaffed and work load stays the same. Cost of living wage is sorely needed there many are underpaid for the amount of time they have worked there.
Pros
Its a job
a days work
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 12, 2017
come to work, get your printing jobs and started printing. By the end of every job, pass it on to bindery so they can finish the job. The job was a high demand sometimes as certain forms needed to be printed with a very quick turn around. Especially with envelopes.
Rn
Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse in Level III NICU (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 28, 2017
Typical hospital environment.It has many newly renovated rooms and units to help the community. I have had experience with the heart department and they do a fantastic job with patients.
Toxic and Chaotic Environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2017
St. Joseph's is the place to go if you want to contribute to insurance fraud, enjoy lowest pay, and get cursed at by someone or another on a daily basis :-)
My Opinion
Nurse Educator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 22, 2017
I loved working at St. Joseph in the education department. It was a very beneficial position. The culture was changing because ownership was changing but it was a great environment to work. I left because of educational advancement.
PACU RN (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 14, 2017
Great people to work with. Location was easy to get to from freeway. Easy and free parking. Good vacation and competitive pay. The position was union and you were required to join.
Pros
co workers
Cons
long days
The staff in our department and other departments are very supportive of each other
Patient Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 12, 2017
The most enjoyable part is our team in our department and working with the patients. It is a very fast paced, busy office. The focus is on the patients and making sure that they are seen on time and feel comfortable coming for their PT,OT,Speech or Lymphedema appointments. I take care of the front office for 10 therapists.It is a 2 person front office job.
Pros
people and environment
Cons
time clock
St Joseph
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 8, 2017
Hired into a staff position. Was not told that said position was floated to every med/surg floor in hospital 90% of the time. If I wanted a float position, I would have applied for one, and demanded higher pay. Floated to floors without any training and no orientation to those floors. Ratio of patients to staff decent. Much dissatisfaction with union and wages among long term nurses.
Pros
close parking
Cons
missed breaks, no coverage for breaks, little help from charges
Used to be wonderful to work for
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDNovember 6, 2017
SJRMC had been an outstanding hospital to work for and I loved it! Until Corporate America came on board. All of the love and compassion has become minimized for a new administration that has no connection with our local community. New directors on board with no experience. Deaf ears to complaints and treatment. Employees do not feel secure or appreciated. Unforeseen layoffs (63) only to be met with needing 26 new employees.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Dishonesty
Very structured workplace
Registered nurse-operating room and recovery room (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2017
The staff and surgeons were friendly and eager to teach. My biggest complaint, we had to pay for parking, but this is a downtown facility. I moved on because I was tired of the commute, traffic and parking.
Comfortable work environment
Patient Advocate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002October 25, 2017
Typically everyone is assigned daily patients and tasks to complete individually. Job duties themselves are fine. Management at St. Joseph location could be improved.
Pros
Gift card incentives, free lunches, overtime
Cons
management staff
Nope
Financial Counselor-Admissions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2017
Not worth the chaos great benefits but horrible hr practices. Allow harrassment issues to go with consequence. No follow through on investigations or complaints.
Pharmacy management company is a good company but hospital is terrible!
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2017
Cardinal Health (manages Pharmacy) is a good company to work for and they provide many employee assistance programs, However, the hospital itself is a mess.There have been many ownership changes in the past 10 years and the nursing staff overall is about the worst I have seen! Iasis/Steward needs to learn that running a hospital where 60% of your nursing staff is an agency or float pool RN is a recipe for disaster. That is one of the main reasons why this hospital is under CMS review and quite possibly out of business if things are not done in the correct manner. We will find out very early next year
okay
union
can retired from there
management okay
scheduling is okay
have to work some holidays
catholic hospital