St. Joseph Medical Center

St. Joseph Medical Center Employer Reviews

Peds Unit
Secretary (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARFebruary 27, 2015
It was face paced which i really like. Great staff to work with. The hardest park of the job was ready Doctors orders. I loved working with the peds.
Doctors Office
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2015
A very unorganized area at times from managers to HR questions. Most times it took longer than two weeks for responses. Also hard to find parking and always need to watch out for homeless.
Great Learning Environment
PCU RN (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great learning environment, great team work
Cons: catholic health initiatives lacks respect for employees. due to patient load, very hard to get breaks without working overtime.
Staff works very well in team environment. RN with 2-3 Patients. 1 aid every 8-9 patients. Very diverse patient population with specialty areas in TBI, Trauma/ Medicine, Cardiac (post open heart). This is a true PCU with advanced drips, high patient acuity. Room to advance into ICU 's if desired.
Nurse (RN), ICU charge nurse (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2015
The shift starts at 0630 am with working round report and detailed hand over report including crash cart check and Nacotic reconcilliation and count at the pyxis medication machine. As a charge nurse have to make sure all staff have reported to duty and our unit cell phone assign to each staff. Start with my ICU patient assessment and getting to know my patient and family, check their lab. results and any other diagnostic test done like echocardiogram or MRI to obtain the reult, if abnormal will inform the primary or the consultant immdiately. Assignment completed with immediate oral care and pericare, if patient on po diet and a diabetic, will check blood sugar and proceed to assissting patient to eat or patient is a feeder, them medicate patient with schedule meds. As a chage nurse have to go at 0915 for our interdiciplinary meeting for 30.minutes. Back to the unit, will check with ER for patient needing beds and coordinate and assign patients to bed and nurses. have to help draw blood or insert NGT to help out my co-oworker. The hardest part of my job is repidly recognizing and responding on timely manner to a patient crashing either cardiac or pulmonary before the patient on into cardiac arrest and co-ordinating with physicians. The most enjoyable part of my job is caring for my patient with good outcome and getting along as a team with my co-workers.
TRANSPORTATION
Patient Transporter (Current Employee), TOWSON, MARYLANDJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: nice hospital decent place to work
Cons: bad communication skill, overtime can be unavailable most of the time
PUSH PATIENTS AROUND ON STRETCHERS, WHEELCHAIRS, BED TO THERE TESTS, PROCEDURES, OPERATIONS AND DISCHARGING THEM FROM THE HOSPITAL, SOMETIMES WE WILL TAKE DEAD BODIES TO THE MORGUE ON THE MORGUE STRETCHER IN A BODY BAG....
nice culture
Facility Manager - Standard Parking (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
nice place to work i really enjoyed sharing with people from different culture and different place
Friendly environment
Director Assistant and lead medical assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2015
Have been able to grow professionally. Clinical and administrative duties daily.
Hard to believe that I have been here for almost 9 years.
Facilities Support Coordinator (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: health benefits decline
This job has worked for me because not one day is ever the same. I like it when all of our co-workers work together during an emergent issue.

It's time to move closer to my home state of Pennsylvania to be closer to my family.
Staff was dedicated and wanted to assist the ill.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Towson, MDJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: nice people; environment
Cons: lunch at desk; seldom had time to leave work area
Very stressful environment with heavy workload in the area where I worked. Co-workers pitched in when help was required.
Not so much of a great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee), Tacoma, WaDecember 10, 2014
I worked in the Environmental Services Department at St. Joseph, their was a lot going on at the time, but managment really didnt do a good job with the staff, and St. Joesph organization really didnt make environmental services feel apart of the team, with all the other departments in the hospital.
Registration
ED Patient Access Representative (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOOctober 30, 2014
I enjoyed my position here.I worked with some great people and they were very flexible.
Great place to work Part-time
Diagnostic Imaging Representative (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: team mentality
Cons: short staffed
The weekends are some of the most enjoyable times. My co-workers are much more easy going and less stressed. Yes we run on a skeleton crew, but everyone does their part and all task get completed quickly and efficiently.
Grat peers
CAT SCAN TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee), Paterson, NJSeptember 17, 2014
Great people to work with day in day out. There was no management to speak of though. That was a little concerning.
Great people
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: some days might get late lunch
I've currently worked at St. Joseph for the past four years. I started out as a CNA and then later became a CST. My co workers are honestly some of the best people I've ever had the privilege to work with. A typical day in the OR involves printing that days schedule, writing the board and then pulling for the cases. Myself and the other Techs then complete the cases for that day. Due to the self governing nature of my department I've learned a lot about time management and planning ahead. The nature of my job might be considered stressful by some, but having the right people surrounding you makes it all worth it .
Fun Place to work.
DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOAugust 26, 2014
Fun place to work but also a lot of learning. I enjoyed helping with the special events and helping the "Friend of St. Joseph's" board members. Had a great trainer.
Good hospital experience
Intern (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYAugust 25, 2014
Pros: scrubs
Learned a lot about how a hospital operates. This is a personal internship that I had and experiences will vary among other interns at this hospital.
Productive, fun and supportive work environment
Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2014
Pros: supportive work environment, make own schedules, smaller hospital
Cons: smaller hospital
12 hour shifts, 7a-7p, 3 days a week, 4-5 patient:nurse
-Start shift by receiving a taped report on our patients, bed side round with night/day nurse, and updates.
-Assess patients
-Pass daily meds
-Prep patients for procedures/tests
-Communicate with physicians and patients about plan of care
-Discharge patients, give discharge paperwork and make sure they understand there follow up responsibilities.
-Admit new patients, start IV, fluids, labs, procedures.
-Comfort dying patients and their families- explain expectations of dying process
-Contact hospice group for patient care.
-Contact referral physicians, PT, OT,CM
Great place to work, and there is always something to learn
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Stockton, CAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: pick up shifts from other workers, meeting people from other departments.
Cons: good benifits, vacation
Clock in ready to work, make sure up put a hair net on, and wash your hands. Make sure keep hands washed through course of the day. Work on tray-line, catering for different meetings, and I work in the café. In the café you work the grill, cashier, serving, and your always cleaning, sanitizing, sweeping, and moping. Management are easy to get along with, and co-workers are to. I don't think that there is a hard part to doing my jobs because you just do it and get it done. Catering, it can be a lot to do but, it is a challenge, and at the end of the day I know I done a good job.
Best co-workers - worked well as a team
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Reading, PAAugust 7, 2014
Pros: small hospital
Cons: to high pt/nurse ratio for er
5 to 7 pt at a time. Responsible for assessment of pt, starting IVs, doing blood draws, EKG's, cardiac monitoring as necessary. Giving medications and treatments as needed. Often would be in charge of 6 to 10 other RN's and CA's. Would also do triage and fastrack area. 12 hour shifts with 1 - 1/2 hour break. No other breaks. Great team of nurses, worked well together.
Challenging in many ways
RN/Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Reading, PAAugust 5, 2014
Pros: located in a nice rural area, flexible scheduling, 12 hour shifts
Cons: always short-staffed, higher pt-rn ratios, poor quality equipment
Due to staffing issues, CNA's are frequently not available to assist RN's in basic patient care. Higher pt-RN ratios make the job very stressful. This facility has it's share of bullies and genuinely nice staff. Night shift staff working 12 hours get no lunch, only two 15 minute breaks. RN's here are always on the low end of the area's pay scale. The hardest part of the job is the fact that management doesn't support nursing needs. As always, the best part of the job is the patients!

1 2 3 4 5

About St. Joseph Medical Center

For 125 years St. Joseph Medical Center has provided an ever-increasing range of services to residents in the Greater Houston – Read more

St. Joseph Medical Center Salaries