St. Joseph Medical Center

St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

Stressful short staffed / No incenatives/Holidays very few are given
patient access (Former Employee) –  houston texasMay 7, 2015
Employed here many years. When Iasis purchased St Joseph the facility went down.Patient Access director hired mostly all outside friends or aquaintances from previous jobs she managed. Which was very unfair to employees who have been with St Joseph for 12-16 years. Most of staff are currently on FMLA family leave of absence with patient access department.Unfortunately leaving only one or two employees to do the work. Very heavy work load .Downsized and short staffed. Very important information know if you are terminated and you have abundance if PTO time remaining St Joseph donot pay PTO if they terminate you. You are forced zo have services rendered at St Joseph in order for insurance to pay at higher rate.That isn't fair because you should be allowed to go to other facilities if your choice.Vacation changed for patient access once Iasis bought St Joseph. We have to work christmas eve new years eve and day after thanksgiving.So keep mind holidays are not a given.Seriously have very high turnover rate. Most of the deligent long time workers were either laid off or let go. So when you earn your pto use it or you may just lose it.Especially since they are notorious for cutting back by laying off or terminating staff. Learning experience for me being dependable earning accruing Pto only to be denied reimbursement for it upon termination.
Pros
employee lunch discount
Cons
short lunch very few holidays off
Nurse (RN), ICU charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2015
The shift starts at 0630 am with working round report and detailed hand over report including crash cart check and Nacotic reconcilliation and count at the pyxis medication machine. As a charge nurse have to make sure all staff have reported to duty and our unit cell phone assign to each staff. Start with my ICU patient assessment and getting to know my patient and family, check their lab. results and any other diagnostic test done like echocardiogram or MRI to obtain the reult, if abnormal will inform the primary or the consultant immdiately. Assignment completed with immediate oral care and pericare, if patient on po diet and a diabetic, will check blood sugar and proceed to assissting patient to eat or patient is a feeder, them medicate patient with schedule meds. As a chage nurse have to go at 0915 for our interdiciplinary meeting for 30.minutes. Back to the unit, will check with ER for patient needing beds and coordinate and assign patients to bed and nurses. have to help draw blood or insert NGT to help out my co-oworker. The hardest part of my job is repidly recognizing and responding on timely manner to a patient crashing either cardiac or pulmonary before the patient on into cardiac arrest and co-ordinating with physicians. The most enjoyable part of my job is caring for my patient with good outcome and getting along as a team with my co-workers.
Good place to work, good atmosphere
Great customer service (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 20, 2013
We would start the day by working at the tray line for breakfast, it would go on for an hour and a half. After that we would go wash the dishes and work on late trays that would come in. We would send the late breakfast trays to the rooms. We would then get ready for the lunch tray line. I learned the different diets for different patients according to their diet restrictions. I learned to work on all the stations on the tray line, from cold folds to hot foods to taking the food carts up to the floors. I was eager to learn as much as i could and they were eager to teach me. I am a team player so i got along well with my co workers. I was there to help them and they were there to help me. The hardest part of the job was learning all the positions in the kitchen, but i was up for the challenge. I learned all the tray line positions, helped in preparation also making salads and desserts. I would also work in the cafeteria whenever they were short. I learned how to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner at the grill, and would stock up the cafeteria in my free time. I also learned all the positions in the cafeteria. The most enjoyable part of my job was to know that i was helping at least in a small part the patients that were at the hospital. Seeing them be happy when they would get their food.
What free meals?
Cog in the wheel (Former Employee) –  ED; Behavioral Health BldgSeptember 25, 2012
I enjoyed most of the staff in behavioral health and working with the patients however if a problem ever appeared management did not address it. The patient spaces were filthy. Very obvious odor entering the unit. The rest of the hospital avoided behavioral health and appeared to dislike working with the patients, especially the emergency department.. People looking for a free meal and a bed were admitted when they did not really meet the criteria for admission. The assessment process for admission is really flawed. When one of the floors of the building was renovated we were overstaffed due to the floor closure and were forced to use our PTOs until they were gone. Exempt employees were then forced to take unpaid time off. I was not sorry to be laid off with the other 300+ people when the hospital was sold and I would not return. Little effort was made to ensure continuity of care and avoid treatment failure and readmission by the same patients.
Pros
salary wasn't bad. the doctors were busy but listened to the staff. made some good friends.
Cons
problem staff allowed to remain due to seniority, mid-management overwhelmed and unable to function; bullies allowed to cow the other patients.
Customer Service excellance
PCA (Patient Care Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIDecember 14, 2012
A typical day at work at St. Joseph's Mercy of Macomb consisted of 6:00 recieving patient care reports from midnight PCA's (Patient Care Assistants) and RN (Registered Nurse) on current history of patients. Loging into computer system to attrive lab draws for each current patient, making sure STAT draws have been done for post op patients. Continue with bedding changes and patient care such as, am blood draws, vitals assureing all patients were comfortable and accountable for. I learned all of my experiences through this time of being a (PCA), I had a wounderful manager and great co-workers on my unit. I enjoyed being transfered when needed to Cardiac Care floors, ER, and my faviorte was the ICU (Intensive Care Units) where the care for our patients was more critical and one on one. I loved my job at the hospital and wish to futher my sucess through one of my local hospitals in the Metro Detroit Area.
Pros
knowing that the patients that were in your care were well taken care of.
Cons
codes, death of a patient
Not a friendly envirement
Unit Secretary- Admissions (Current Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 8, 2013
If you are a hardworker and want to advance in this company. This will not happen. Management will use your skills to advance themself and make them look good, but put you down and give you more and more work untill you are the only one running the show. There was several horriable comments coming from managment that was repeated to other co-workers and they continued to be harrisment. I went to HR about the issues and nothing was done not even a simple apology. I was denyed vaction time several time even told that management was not comfortable not having me working. I had extra rules and restrains on me because i was too efficent. I was also told by management "sometimes it is better to be stupid" when I was asked about my advancement. I even took work home and had no compensation for it.

The good part about this job is that you are helping the inner city people and doing the mission of SJMC even tho you are not reconized for it.
Pros
helping public
Cons
short lunches
nice place to work
Staff Nurse, Admission Nurse, Adult Psych (Current Employee) –  houston, txDecember 18, 2013
at st.joseph medical center psych intake department i assess patient coming in to get help with their psychological needs to assess if they meet criteria for admission. if the patient meets criteria and they are admitted with insurance i call the insurance company to do a initial precert giving all the clinical information that the patient provided. i work at night so therefore i am the one in charge of the intake unit and oversee all activities that are involved. if any issues occur that i cannot handle i call the house supervisor to help or my director of nursing. i enjoy working with my co-workers and we work together to ensure that our work is done timely and that the patients are treated fairly and with respect. the hardest part of the job is making sure that when the patients are agitated that no one gets hurt, especially the patient. the most enjoyable part of the job is making sure the patients get the help they need.
Pros
unity
Cons
safety
Productive, growth and fun place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Towsn, MarylandAugust 2, 2013
Overall, St. Joseph Medical Center is a wonderful place to work. The people there are very special with a strong Christian faith. Management was good, easy to talk to and very open about keeping staff up to date with changes in the facility. The hardest part of my job was not being able to help a customer to receive the services that was needed do to personal restraints or insurance. The most enjoyable was able to express myself and always being able to part of the solution, and finding resources to make things happen. To be able to share experiences, teach and/or educate someone. Being at St. Joseph for over 36 year total I have made many friends over the years, and being in position to help make a difference in someone life. Do to my position being eliminated I had to leave. Will miss everyone there.
The hardest part of the job
Emergency Department Patient Care Area Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 12, 2015
Although it was difficult volunteering in the ER room, there was a lot to learn. Making rounds while ensuring all of the rooms were fully stocked was difficult. It was interesting learning about types of diseases just by observing the symptoms. For example, yellowing of a patient's skin indicated problems with liver. It was interesting to know to know as soon as code blue was called the entire team of nurses, doctors and ED tech gathered up together to help saves of many patients. Code blue indicated cardiac arrest. There were a lot of sepsis alerts. Even though a lot of precautions were needed, the doctors wore their gown, masks and gloves to observe the patients. It was such a tremendous experience to have.
Pros
Every day different type of salads
Professional Experience
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 27, 2014
*Reviews and analyzes claims loss and expense reserves established by insurance carriers.

*Acts as liaison between the insurance carriers and insurance broker to maintain loss expense reserves that are relective of the company's exposure.

*Acts as liaison between corporate and field offices to facilitate the gathering of information that will facilitate proper response to claim losses and legal documents.

*Wrote appeal letters to different insurance companies for payment.

*Managed the denial database for Access Registration Department. Run prepared and reviewed reports and documents for Director. Monitored and follow-up on outstanding accounts in a timely manner or as required.

*Monitored and resolved complex claim payment problems.
BAD PLACE TO WORK AT
Nurse (Former Employee) –  TelemetryAugust 4, 2012
unsafe assignments. inadequate training. management does not address concerns. favoritism. very heavy politics. some directors are very weak. lazy coworkers. no time for breaks. ER staff are mostly new grads and trained inadequately. bad work ethics. suboptimal infection prevention practices. errors are likely to occur. pharmacy makes errors. will not recommend to family and friends. salary is not really competitive unless you work weekends. don't let this hospital fool you, whatever the cons are, it's not worth it. staff have been in the ER for job stress. new nurses preceptoring newer nurses. new employees precepting each other???!!!!!
Pros
job security because they will always need staff
Cons
staff turnover, workload, no teamwork, management useless, bad staff morale and work ethics
Laboratory with very high tech machinery
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 29, 2015
I believe St. Joseph Medical Center has one of the biggest laboratories in the state. This lab had very high tech machines including a automated line that ran specimens automatically. Very friendly co-workers and staff. The managers were very nice and had a open door policy, they always encouraged my growth and learning. The hardest part of the job would be the smell that comes from Microbiology. The most enjoyable was being able to work in every aspect of the lab. I was one of the very few lab techs that were able to work in every single part of the lab except Blood Bank.
Pros
Huge lab with lots of new machines
Cons
The lab was located in the basement of the hospital almost secluded from the rest of the hospital
was once a good/great place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
One reviewer indicated that the hospital was bought out of bankruptcy. I do not believe this is accurate. Their parent company was indeed bankrupt, but I believe the doctors took over and they were doing quite well financially. The insurance was incredible, PTO was very competitive, and there was a family atmosphere. Unfortunately, IASIS bought the hospital and promptly made it a bad to horrible place to work--they combined sick/vacation leave to PTO and reduced the combined PTO to less than the original vacation leave; insurance changed for the worse; and at one point they took away the guaranteed 401K match that was $1:$1 for the first 5% then later made it $0.25:$1. A company that cares about its employees would never do this.
benefits
Rehab/Detox of Adult Patient
STAFF NURSE ON BEHAVIORAL HEALTH UNIT (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 30, 2015
Nurse/patient ratio of 8 patients; learned computer charting, and managing meds and treatments of many different patients and psychiatric diagnoses. Those detoxing; those having trachs and gastrostomy feedings, along with the behavioral issues, etc. My co-workers were organized and helpful to work with; the hardest part of the job was to learn the correct/most helpful response to a psychotic patient. The most enjoyable part was to see a patient become so much better, and back to their former personality, i.e. in the case of electroshock having a very beneficial effect.
Pros
Those patients getting better, and families getting them back
Cons
Patients who would not get better, and families being in despair
Productive, fun and supportive work environment
Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2014
12 hour shifts, 7a-7p, 3 days a week, 4-5 patient:nurse
-Start shift by receiving a taped report on our patients, bed side round with night/day nurse, and updates.
-Assess patients
-Pass daily meds
-Prep patients for procedures/tests
-Communicate with physicians and patients about plan of care
-Discharge patients, give discharge paperwork and make sure they understand there follow up responsibilities.
-Admit new patients, start IV, fluids, labs, procedures.
-Comfort dying patients and their families- explain expectations of dying process
-Contact hospice group for patient care.
-Contact referral physicians, PT, OT,CM
Pros
supportive work environment, make own schedules, smaller hospital
Cons
smaller hospital
poor place to work
imaging (Former Employee) –  downtownSeptember 29, 2015
This company was bought out of bankruptcy. CFO only cares about their bottom line and making profits. They have removed almost all managerial employees over the past year, leaving one or two incompetent overworked mangers to do handle the jobs of those laid off. They run understaffed and leave those employee who are working in an unsafe environment at risk of jeopardizing their licenses. In turn patient care is poor and patient treatment and safety is not a priority. Also they require too much from employees. Do not pay benefits to part time workers putting in over full time hours, including large amounts of on-call. May be good option for a desperate employee, not a place you'd want to stay very long.
Pros
expeirence
Cons
bad moral
Great place to work, and there is always something to learn
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 16, 2014
Clock in ready to work, make sure up put a hair net on, and wash your hands. Make sure keep hands washed through course of the day. Work on tray-line, catering for different meetings, and I work in the café. In the café you work the grill, cashier, serving, and your always cleaning, sanitizing, sweeping, and moping. Management are easy to get along with, and co-workers are to. I don't think that there is a hard part to doing my jobs because you just do it and get it done. Catering, it can be a lot to do but, it is a challenge, and at the end of the day I know I done a good job.
Pros
pick up shifts from other workers, meeting people from other departments.
Cons
good benifits, vacation
Very bad place to work for and especially in the NICU.
RN (Former Employee) –  NICUApril 11, 2012
If you have the misfortune of selecting this NICU for a travel assignment, run the other way and don't look back. Staff nurses in the NICU don't treat travel nuirses very well. The nurses tend to look down at travel nurses especially the new insecure staff nurses. This NICU does not readily welcome travel nurses and is a waste of time and effort.

No, the parking is not free! Forget about trying to eat lunch in their hospital cafeteria. There's only one cafeteria and it takes about the entire lunch 30 minutes to go there and come back and never allows time to eat your lunch before returning to the unit.
Pros
nothing "pro" to write.
Cons
treated badly by staff and management.

Comment – August 4, 2012

bad place to work overall ...

Closed one office and opened two from the beginning. Had to travel thirty minutes one way.
Office Coordinator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 29, 2015
Learned a lot about how to run an entire office from having nothing to getting it up and running. Learned hoe to order supplies, both medical and office supplies. Performed Medical Assistant duties, Receptionist duties and mail handeling duties.
Co-workers were great to work with. Hardest part of the job was the drive to and from work. Most enjoyable aspect was the indepence of running an medical office with little supervision.
Pros
Free lunches from the medication representatives and allowed to leave for doctors' appointments.
Cons
Long commute, small pay increases.
Great people
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2014
I've currently worked at St. Joseph for the past four years. I started out as a CNA and then later became a CST. My co workers are honestly some of the best people I've ever had the privilege to work with. A typical day in the OR involves printing that days schedule, writing the board and then pulling for the cases. Myself and the other Techs then complete the cases for that day. Due to the self governing nature of my department I've learned a lot about time management and planning ahead. The nature of my job might be considered stressful by some, but having the right people surrounding you makes it all worth it .
Pros
great people
Cons
some days might get late lunch