St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Employee Reviews in United States

Great hospital to work for
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 29, 2016
This hospital is a great place to work. The nursing staff is wonderful. Nurses and doctors work well together. If you are seeking a typical hospital nursing position working 3 days a week, then SJMO is a wonderful place to work.
just ok
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIDecember 16, 2015
not a place for advancement opportunities based on abilities. backstabbing is rampant. employee satisfaction is low and the company doesn't really seem to care.
does not value nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  ocologyDecember 3, 2015
co workers are wonderful. pca's are union therefore, most don't work which makes it nearly impossible for nursing to please every patient.
Its a busy place to work for
Staff Nurse, Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 4, 2015
I worked in the ED, it is busy once arrive to the end. Management is ok but unwilling to hire more staff. Extremely short handed all the time and which is the hardest part of the job. I enjoyed my co-workers. We always work well together and help each other to get things done.
Pros
self scheduling
Cons
overworked
caring hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 14, 2015
I have learned a lot at St. Joseph through the years, working in Adult ICU, Surgery and Cardiac Cath Lab. ICU taught me how to take care of medical and surgical patients, surgery I learned to prepare the rooms and patients for surgery and Cardiac cath lab has combined my knowledge of ICU and surgery.
Pros
Rewarding to see patients have a better quality of life
Cons
long hours, on call weekends and nights
Great Nurses
Unit clerk for a locked mother/baby unit (Former Employee) –  5 westJuly 3, 2015
Very professional and caring work environment. Not as much flexibility in the schedule as I would have liked but the manager tried to accommodate whenever possible.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 12, 2015
Did a lot that many actual paid employees do. I have to say it was a good experience, just wish I was able to do more. If there are people who want to go into the clinical aspect of the medical field, volunteering is a good start. It gives insight on what it takes, a good way to get out there and network with doctors and nurses. Especially nurses if you get a chance to work with them, they can become future references.
Pros
work with others, get insight of the pre operation area
Cons
wish there were more to do, like shadow a minor operation
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Care Technician Extern (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 4, 2015
A typical morning at work was come in and watch over the patients and make sure they was health and safe. I made beds, order breakfast and lunch in the morning time. I made sure the patients was up and walking around sitting in there chairs also assist with combing there hair. My responsible was to make sure the patient was well taking care of.
Pros
Family Setting
Cons
Short breaks
Get along well with my nurses
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 30, 2015
A Typical day is very busy, love my patients meet very interesting people, from all walks of life, learn somehting from everybody I come in contect with. management is fair.
Pros
love taking care of people.
Cons
not enough employees to really serve the patients.
Supportive professional environment
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 30, 2014
SJMO is a supportive professional environment that is dedicated to providing high quality patient care. Committed to fulfilling mission and vision.
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake Orion, MISeptember 21, 2014
taking care of patients, stocking rooms

versed more in my pharmacology

management team is amazing

coworkers are wonderful

sometimes if you have a patient that requires a lot of time you feel like youre not pulling your weight of the patient load

metting the patients and knowing they will be better through you conducting your job
Pros
self esteem
Cons
hours can be scarce sometimes
New tower is not staffed, going through many changes, too much at one time,
NURSE (Former Employee) –  nursingJuly 9, 2014
RN many years, constantly working short staffed, upper management gets fired at the drop of a hat, even if they have been there 20+ years.

ICU,CCU, OR and the new South Patient Tower are the top priorities with administration and it is VERY obvious. If you work in a department that is not a top "money maker" you get abused, overlooked, ignored.

HUMAN RESOURCES is not helpful in resolving conflict. They always support corporate, not the "little guy"
Pros
co workers are very supportive -we have to be or we wouldn't survive on day to day basis
Cons
short staffed all the time.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 28, 2014
Great working enviornemnt with room to grow as an employee. Left only to further my career. Enjoyed my job and taking care of patients. Great team work.
Job
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 28, 2014
My job at St, joseph Urgent Care is a very good learning environment, I have been there for 2yrs and I am always learning new things, My co-workers and I all work well together and try to help each other out when needed
Enjoyable, busy workplace
Trauma (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJuly 21, 2013
Typical day is very busy, going non-stop. Great office "family", everyone supports one another.
Nice place to start. Opportunity to fine tune skills learned in school.
Staff Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIFebruary 22, 2013
Very busy from the time you walk in the door. The employees are great. The management need to develope their people skills. I loved working in the OR and being a part of cutting edge cases.
Pros
excellent benefits and easy to get time off
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
awesome place to work
Nursing Assistant, PST, Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIDecember 11, 2012
I worked there for 12 years, it was a great place to work, the atmosphere was awesome and you had room and opportunities to advance and learn.
Good place to work. Always be looking beyond for advancement.
Manager, Inpatient Pharmacy Services (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 27, 2012
After many years of excellent service (30+), I'm put out to pastuer like many before me. Overall, good place to start a career. Not many finish there. Co-workers are fantastic throughout the organization. Learned much on the way up over the years. Most difficult part of the job is dealing with trivial behavioral issues of staff that seem to predominate the minds of upper management. Most enjoyable part of the job is being fair and being recognized for it, with staff that report to you.
Pros
large enough hospital to offer growth.
Cons
constantly changing upper management groups over the years. one is bound to not like you.
Run on the Feudal system.
clerical (Former Employee) –  pontiac, michiganSeptember 24, 2012
Upper management is so busy patting themselves on the back for what a great job they are doing they have no clue as to how abused the people working in the lower ranks are. If you have ever seen the old silent film "Metropolis" you will have an inkling of what is like to work here.
Pros
good benefits. good pay.
Cons
feudal system.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Reviews by Location