St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Employee Reviews

payroll (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIOctober 24, 2017
Stressful, deadlines. Management busy all of the time. Being able to do your job when you have time to actually do your job and not everyone else's job.
Health Information Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 27, 2017
Great environment but only long - term if into nursing or human resource. Have excellent benefits and pay, great individuals to work and a lot of employees retire from here.
I love working in a community environment like St. Joseph Mercy
Liaison between patient and hospital personnel (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIAugust 24, 2017
St Joseph was a very up beat place to work. I had learned that people really do make the world go around. You need to have a lot of patience in this field.
Pros
The food is great.
Cons
People need to have more patients with one another
Long shifts
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJuly 30, 2017
A typical day at work for me was rewarding in terms of meeting a diversity of patients/clients who shared there life stories, in addition to working with a diverse population of various cultures. Concerning
Management, there were some excellent and some not so great, however-in any establishment or place of business people are fallible it's expected, you just have to make the best of any situation. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient when one would transition. The most enjoyable part was making a patient happy and content during their rough times and meeting new people or their family members.
Pros
opportunity to learn new skills and meeting challenges
Cons
work long hours
Fast paced department.
RN ENDOSCOPY (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 2, 2017
Hardest part of the day was leaving because there would always be one more case added on. Patient needs it so its got to be done but could make your day go from a 9 hour to a 14 or 15 hour quickly. Management was okay...could be worse i guess.
Loved the people I worked with. Just like family.
Friendly staff, solid hospital.
Nurse Extern II (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMarch 19, 2017
Management: Very receptive to scheduling needs.Staff retention was an issue on the unit I worked on making understaffing a chronic issue that went unaddressed for long stretches at a time.

Workplace Culture: A very collegial atmosphere.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Staffing
Generally friendly environment
Lead PA (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMarch 15, 2017
Interactions with nursing and medical staff is very positive. Excellent location for new graduates to learn various aspects of inpatient medicine. Electronic medical record can be cumbersome to document H&P's and daily notes, but is excellent for order entry.
Pros
Generous benefit package
Cons
Frequently under staffed, not always compensated for additional work responsibilities
great place to work
anonymous (Former Employee) –  anonymousAugust 18, 2016
St. Joe's is a great place to work. I loved the environment and the different opportunities for growth was given. Wonderful people to work with
Perfect for Internship
Inpatient Behavioral Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 28, 2016
As a student MSW intern, I was able to learn the necessary skills needed to work with patients in behavioral health. Staff was very helpful and provided a great learning experience!
Great hospital to work for
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 29, 2016
This hospital is a great place to work. The nursing staff is wonderful. Nurses and doctors work well together. If you are seeking a typical hospital nursing position working 3 days a week, then SJMO is a wonderful place to work.
just ok
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIDecember 16, 2015
not a place for advancement opportunities based on abilities. backstabbing is rampant. employee satisfaction is low and the company doesn't really seem to care.
does not value nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  ocologyDecember 3, 2015
co workers are wonderful. pca's are union therefore, most don't work which makes it nearly impossible for nursing to please every patient.
Its a busy place to work for
Staff Nurse, Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 4, 2015
I worked in the ED, it is busy once arrive to the end. Management is ok but unwilling to hire more staff. Extremely short handed all the time and which is the hardest part of the job. I enjoyed my co-workers. We always work well together and help each other to get things done.
Pros
self scheduling
Cons
overworked
caring hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 14, 2015
I have learned a lot at St. Joseph through the years, working in Adult ICU, Surgery and Cardiac Cath Lab. ICU taught me how to take care of medical and surgical patients, surgery I learned to prepare the rooms and patients for surgery and Cardiac cath lab has combined my knowledge of ICU and surgery.
Pros
Rewarding to see patients have a better quality of life
Cons
long hours, on call weekends and nights
Great Nurses
Unit clerk for a locked mother/baby unit (Former Employee) –  5 westJuly 3, 2015
Very professional and caring work environment. Not as much flexibility in the schedule as I would have liked but the manager tried to accommodate whenever possible.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 12, 2015
Did a lot that many actual paid employees do. I have to say it was a good experience, just wish I was able to do more. If there are people who want to go into the clinical aspect of the medical field, volunteering is a good start. It gives insight on what it takes, a good way to get out there and network with doctors and nurses. Especially nurses if you get a chance to work with them, they can become future references.
Pros
work with others, get insight of the pre operation area
Cons
wish there were more to do, like shadow a minor operation
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Care Technician Extern (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 4, 2015
A typical morning at work was come in and watch over the patients and make sure they was health and safe. I made beds, order breakfast and lunch in the morning time. I made sure the patients was up and walking around sitting in there chairs also assist with combing there hair. My responsible was to make sure the patient was well taking care of.
Pros
Family Setting
Cons
Short breaks
Get along well with my nurses
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 30, 2015
A Typical day is very busy, love my patients meet very interesting people, from all walks of life, learn somehting from everybody I come in contect with. management is fair.
Pros
Love taking care of people.
Cons
Not enough employees to really serve the patients.
Supportive professional environment
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 30, 2014
SJMO is a supportive professional environment that is dedicated to providing high quality patient care. Committed to fulfilling mission and vision.
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake Orion, MISeptember 21, 2014
taking care of patients, stocking rooms

versed more in my pharmacology

management team is amazing

coworkers are wonderful

sometimes if you have a patient that requires a lot of time you feel like youre not pulling your weight of the patient load

metting the patients and knowing they will be better through you conducting your job
Pros
self esteem
Cons
hours can be scarce sometimes