St. Joseph Orphanage Employee Reviews

Not staffed appropriately, financial crisis and management is hard to communicate with
Teaching Education/Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 9, 2014
Pros: free lunch and breakfast
Cons: poor communication between direct care and management, understaffed, outdated therapeutic techniques, poor training quality
A typical day at work involved being in a classroom and observing behaviors and social interactions and to intervene if the clients become disruptive or a danger to the classroom. My position is to help provide a therapeutic school environment for the at risk youth who struggle to succeed in a normal school setting.
Working with the kids and building relationships is a wonderful part of the job but at this facility our resources are limited and some would say the inner workings of the program are in need of an update. Also the shortage of staff definitely takes it toll on the direct care staff. This leads to poor work conditions and ultimately leads to our high turnover rates. When management is questioned about these concerns there aren't many answers given.
Also had I not had previous experience working with at risk youth the training this facility provides does not adequately prepare me for the situations I may face in the classroom on a daily basis.
Extreme defiant behaviors
Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good employee community, nice environment
Cons: no breaks, extreme behaviors, physical behaviors, no effective dicipline for students, poor management
Managing extreme behaviors with multiple interventions everyday. The hardest part of the job is the emotional toll it takes out on you while dealing with the extreme behaviors.
Great entry-level work environment
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OhioJuly 13, 2013
Pros: professional development
Cons: n/a
Entry-level as I recently graduated with BA in psychology and exploring my career interest
I enjoy working at SJO
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 20, 2013
Management at the Altercrest Campus has been supportive and open to suggestions, and have been open and supportive related to building on my skillset. My co-workers are enjoyable and supportive as well.
Very positive culture.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, Ohio AltercrestJuly 16, 2012
A typical day for us could be incredibly boring or exciting. You're always stretching your interpersonal skills, but the job continues to build your character everyday. I probably work for an extremely unique team with wonderful management.