St. Josephs Hospital Employee Reviews

fun job
Food Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2017
the work load is very light, i enjoyed building relationships with the patients. customer service is very important for this job. great hours as well.
Unorganized
MEDICAL ASSISTANT 2 (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 21, 2017
When i worked here it was a mess because they were doing new things and they were all over the place, the employees where all great and nice, they all worked well together.
Fast paced but organized environment.
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work for me is very structured. The atmosphere is stable and the team members are hard working individuals who care about the safety and well-being of our patients and their family members. Management is very organized and professional. The hardest part of my job I would say is the stress that comes along with it. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with people who are dedicated to their profession and to the people that they serve. Working within a fantastic organization that promotes a healthy environment and provides ample support and training for its employees.
St. Josephs
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2016
Was a great place to work. They started me off at the beginning and I worked my way to the I.V. room. They helped me get my certification and license.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Assisting and caring for patients in a calm and quiet atmosphere.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJDecember 10, 2016
I was a volunteer at St. Josephs Hospital from June 2015 to October 2015. I worked twice a week and began working in the intensive care unit, where I walked around for four hours each shift and cared for the patients while assisting the nurses. I also served the patients food and water, and made sure they got what they needed. I learned that communication and compassion is very important in working in the medical field. The hardest part of being a volunteer was not being able to directly interact or deal with the patients, but the best part was being able to experience what the day of a nurse/PA/doctor is in a hospital. Overall, it was a very humbling and great experience.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No breaks
Great entry level position for experience
Security Supervisor/Training/Scheduling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2016
I love the experience at this job. However they ask/pressure/demand overtime like I have never seen before. In 2 years there has only been 2 officers stay, one including me. Most of the issue is with the contract company, Securitas. But if you want to get experience in many ways, this is the job you want to have.
Pros
Great versatile experience
Cons
Lots of word, no pay, no benefits
great company
Security Officer Full Time (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHMay 2, 2016
Its a great place to work, but since a have a few college degrees I'm looking to get into management. When doing a good job management does not say your doing a good job, but when you make a mistake or something happens management addresses it very badly. Its demotivating at times, but as long as mistakes are not made or security does not get blamed for certain things its a good job.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, growth
Volunteer
Mother/ Baby Assessment Center Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 16, 2016
Learned how to deal with patients and check in patients efficiently.Organize all the paperwork, patient files, and properly legally labeling important documents. Guide patients and their newborn babies to see the nurse.
Excellent
Staff Nurse, Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Buckhannon, WVMarch 16, 2016
Excellent Teamwork, Excellent Supervisors. Our day was effectively handled by the team and managers providing the best care to all patients.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
pay
terrible management, terrible diversity
Central Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 9, 2015
minorities for the most part will be stuck on overnight because they dont want is to be seen. terrible place hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Fast paced and immersive.
Room Service Attendant, Food Service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2015
This job was to transport food trays to different patient rooms in a 11 floor hospital facility. It was boring and mundane and my co workers were not fun people. Hardest part of the job was standing up for myself when co worker issues arose. The only part of the job I liked was seeing peoples smiles when I brought in the food trays for them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Co worker attitudes
Enjoy working as team with nurses and doctors
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 9, 2015
I very much appreciate the management at this company. I have learned a lot about myself and though it is a very good company the job is not for me, it is very emotional at times and difficult for me to lose patients pretty much on a weekly basis. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get to train new co workers. I am a very patient person and I love to teach and help people grow. My coworkers, I enjoy more are the nurses and doctors. Currently there are a lot of changes in the respiratory world and there are a lot of bad attitudes to change in the Resp. Department. Hardest part of my job is taking someone off life support.
Pros
helping people each day
Cons
you cant save them all
fun and productive job
food server (Former Employee) –  Tampa,FlMay 28, 2015
It was a nice job and my co-workers were very nice as well. the company is very good to their employees. the manager is very nice as well
Toxic work environment for employees
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 4, 2015
Management is no longer living the mission statement that was revised when the Franciscan Sisters were getting ready to retire. The facility is now concerned with cost reduction rather than patient care and patients and families are the ones to suffer the consequences. It is sad to have worked so many years for a place which no longer values the employees who work so hard to provide a caring atmosphere. Long term employees are being singled out in order to move them out and replace them with lesser paid employees.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, the sad decline of patient care.
Not too bad for a hospital
Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 22, 2015
An easy internship, that gives you the opportunity to help others and learn new skills. Everyone treated everyone with respect.
Pros
No heavy lifting
Cons
families who are dificult to deal with
great learning environment
PST (Current Employee) –  Tampa FlApril 15, 2015
I worked in the medical icu and learned a lot in regards to patient care. We took care of critically ill patients on the unit which was difficult at times because we as health care professionals become attached to our patients
Great place to learn valuable skills!
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 12, 2015
As long as you are willing to do the job to the best of your abilities you will love working here. Lots of great people within the pharmacy and even more great people throughout the entire hospital.
Pros
Cafetiria available to employees, great atmosphere
Cons
working weekends and holidays
Great staff
Pre-Op Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 7, 2015
I loved Baycare the minute I stepped in the door. Every encounter with people I've never met. I liked the atmosphere of team because there was always help without asking. The job was not tedious, but they do hustle to make sure there aren't delays.
Pros
breaks, celebrate birthdays, rewards for Certification, tight staff help each other.
Large Workload,
Phlebotomy Tech (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 4, 2015
A typical day starts at 4 am. I recieve a stack of papers with the names and tests ordered for 30+ patients in the hospital. Between 4am and 7am I will need to wake up each of them up, draw and label their blood samples, and collect there samples in our computer system. I will then "pick up" any other pending draw orders until my time is up at 1230. On days/shifts that I may also pick up would consist of me spending my time in the Hospital Lab receiving samples in the computer, ordering tests,canceling tests, talking on the phone with doctors,nurses,patients,and others. Also researching tests and preparing samples that need to be sent out to other labs.
Pros
fun co workers, hour long breaks
Cons
large work load, hard hours
Challenging, fast paced environment
Preceptorship in PACU (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 22, 2014
Typically upon starting my shift, I would check the boards for scheduled surgeries for the day. Then I would make sure that I knew my assigned area and that the area was clean and stocked. It was very important to ensure that all the equipment was working as well, and that all connections and accessories were available.

The day would generally get off to a rapid start. Patients would return from surgeries and procedures, and I would monitor for complications. Our goal was to return the patients to a stable state, usually determined when vital signs returned to normal limits and the patient's LOC was returned to its pre-procedure level. After the patient was stable, I would prepare the patient for transfer to the receiving floor. This required paperwork, calling and talking to the receiving RN, and ensuring that any monitoring equipment was hooked up and operating. Depending on the patient's level, I would either delegate a NAP or go with the patient myself, during a transfer.

I learned about the value of moving quickly and efficiently in a high stress environment. Also, I had to prioritize appropriately. Communicating with personnel was also an important skill to acquire. I needed to know who to contact, and what for, and when to contact them. I had to quickly learn how to navigate and enter documentation on the PACU's computer terminals. Recognition of deteriorating patient condition, and knowing how to address it, was another important part of the learning process.

The nurses on the PACU floor were amazing. There was quite a bit of teamwork and everyone
  more... worked together well. Everyone was extremely knowledgeable and capable of handling patient care.

For me, the most difficult part of the job was becoming acclimated to my surroundings, and figuring out things were on the floor.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference. It was nice to be there when people were waking up after a procedure and to help them when they were at their most vulnerable.
Pros
Fast paced environment, rewarding patient experiences, challenging environment and scenarios, continually changing environment
Cons
having to keep patients in the PACU, when there were no beds available on the receiving unit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Josephs Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2