St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews

Great place to work but mismatch between perception and reality in some areas
Employee (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2013
A + for marketing itself as a world renowned cancer center for children that is compassionate and caring.

C - For actually carrying out its patient focused mission. With an exception of a few physicians, most leave too much patient care and contact to supporting nursing staff.

A for research although at the expense of delivering better quality patient care.

A - F for Senior Management. Most very engaged, supportive, and informed. But a few who are disconnected, uninformed, and lack ability to manage their areas. Result - unable to adequately evaluate those who report to them, indecisive, and manage by consensus.

A for culture and compensation. Overall, very employee friendly and supportive, perhaps too much so. HR continually strives to make it a better place to work, although too many employees complain no matter how well they have it.
Pros
great place to work with a few exceptions
Cons
exceptions
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 19, 2015
St. Jude is a great place to work. A typical day at work consists of preparing outgoing mail, scanning and verifying surveys from participants in studies, and completing Food Frequency Questionnaire appointments in a clinic on St. Jude campus. My manager is a great manager. He is laid back, easy going, and very respectful and considerate of his employees. The hardest part of my job is the increase in the work load that has happened in the past few months. Some days consist of just trying to keep afloat with everything. The most enjoyable part of my job is loving what I do and who I do it for.
Pros
recognition for a job well done, room for advancement, birthday celebrations
Cons
no assigned parking, work load can be excessive at times
Rated Top 100 Place to work
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2015
My typical night at work is a pretty busy one at the beginning but it slows down in about the 3rd hour into the shift. I have learned a tremendous amount of information about St. Jude and their values. They value the care of the patients and families. I work with patients that have catastrophic diseases and the hardest part of my job is getting attached to the patients especially the ones that you know will loose their battle. But on the other hand, the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people from different countries, races, religion and creed along with interacting with the patients especially if I can make them smile on one of those not so good days.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
occasional rushed breaks
Dark Secrets
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Memphis TnDecember 30, 2014
The racism and nepotism that exists at St Jude is unbelievable . If you are white and not related to someone it is very hard to get a job in the support staff positions ( Par Linen Tech) or other support depts.. I was laid off from St Jude through no fault of my own. How HR and the dept. director handled the situation was disgraceful . You would think being a former employee with a good work record it would be easy to get re-hired ? NOT SO !!! if a dept. was all white with all white mangers there would be discriminations lawsuits filed . Why does HR allow reverse discrimination to take place ? If you are white you will not get hired at certain departments at St Jude.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
the discrimination & nepotism
Great team work and fundraising for the children of St. Jude
Office Manager/Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJuly 10, 2012
Loved working there. It was the fundraising arm of St. Jude located in Norcross, GA. Got to arrange fundraisers and participate in them. Helped with setting vendors getting free food for volunteers. Enjoyed working there. The hardest part was seeing the children and their history. Some were so happy even though they were sick.
Being able to be part of an organization that took care of employees also. Benefits were wonderful and no questions were ever unanswered.
Pros
helpful staff and easy to get along with
Cons
found no cons, wish i could go back there but no openings.
Work with customers needing service. People worked with were great to be around and we had holiday luncheons together, picnics every year.
Office Manager/Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMarch 28, 2012
Helped raise funds for research for the main hospital in Memphis. This was a rewarding position as funds covered 92% of research. Administrative fees were not used from donations. The people have so much love and care so much for the children. It was a very rewarding position and wish I could have stayed but my husband's job moved us to SC and I had to go with him obviously.
Pros
great benefits in health insurance 100%
Cons
none to report
A great place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 5, 2012
St. Jude is a unique postdoctoral experience. It is a well kept place that is funded well by ALSAC. With this comes state-of-the-art equipment that is well maintained, allowing for the highest potential of productivity. As a postdoc, we understand that it is a transient position; however, there are so many postdocs that the community is strong. If you do not know how to perform an assay all you have to do is shoot an e-mail out and within the day you will have found an expert that can guide you and help troubleshoot your experiments.
Pros
benefits, available equipment, postdoc community
Cons
transient position
Working at St Jude is an enjoyable experience, especially when you enjoy what you do.
Sr. Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 17, 2013
My overall experience working for St Jude was very satisfying. The office politics is what makes or breaks a promising career. Seems like being polite, minding your business, doing your job and always willing to help in anyway possible for the greater good, punctual, and never causing problems would be enough; unfortunately it is not. I do not know why but the employees that actually do there jobs are the one's targeted and are punished.
Greatest place to work
RN in ACU-Eye and ENT Clinics (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 30, 2012
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is everything a parent could want for their child diagnosed with cancer. It is also the most positive place I have ever worked. Management is supportive. Everyone is knowledgeable and loves their job. The hardest part is when one of our patients loses the battle to cancer but the best part are the patients and being able to show the parents that every child makes a difference.
Pros
benefits, salary, staff, clinical ladder
Cons
location
Great place to work!
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Everyone that I come into contact with on a daily basis is thrilled to be at work. That sort of attitude is contagious and makes it inevitable to love your job there. My co-workers have come from all over the world and motivate me to do the best I can.The hardest part of my job is going home at the end of the day. Everyone is so driven and excited to be there, making the people the best part of working there.
Pros
talks/speakers all over campus, great benefits, gym, community
Cons
not enough parking
Amazing Work Environment
Immunology Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 24, 2013
Even if you don't interact with patients as part of your job, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is designed so that patients and employees mix in the cafeteria in the heart of the building. It gives each worker more motivation to do the best they can at their job to contribute to the health and well-being of the patients at St. Jude.
Pros
health benefits, free on-campus gym access, banking center and post office located within the hospital
Mission Driven Organization
Grant and Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 7, 2012
A typical workday includes reviewing and enhancing our electronic systems for grant application submission, processing of awards and record keeping. Additionally, my day includes supervision of staff and report creation. Management and co-workers exist as a team with acknowledged boundaries. The hardest part of my job is also the part I enjoy the most and that's identifying the source of a system malfunction and resolving the issue.
Pros
perks, rewards
Cons
Institution is good, however department leadership is extremely poor at the lower level management.
Management (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 9, 2012
Too much work load for the pay. They do pay lower than similar jobs and place way too much work load on their employees. Management needs great improvement.
Coworkers seem always stressed. Negative environment.
Hardest part of the job is not being able to trust the department management.
Best part of the job is the benefits. However salary is not comparable to similar positions.

Managers are not uplifting to one another.
benefits
Cons
negative leadership

Comment – December 10, 2012

Any reasons, why only you face a negative environment and think that pay is low.I think you still have not forgotten that it is a NPO. Just queries. take it in a positive way. I m working on my research. Thank you

Volunteer with my young child
Thon coordinator (Current Employee) –  Katy, TxMarch 31, 2015
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, participate & support the Trike-a-thon
April 2011 – Present
Teach children riding-toy safety lessons while helping save the lives of children battling cancer and other catastrophic diseases. As a Trike-A-Thon coordinator, you can utilize your passion for educating kids. As a participant, your child can learn valuable safety skills while earning prizes based on the donations they raise.
Fast paced, publish or perish
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2014
The place has grown and changed a lot since I left. The building I worked in no longer exists. I was proud of the cutting edge work I did while there, but not the conditions under which it was done.The people were great, the conditions, not so much.
Pros
got to meet a lot of great people & do great work.
Cons
place was too dependent on grant funding at the time.
Beware!!!
Information Systems (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 17, 2013
While St. Jude is providing valuable services in the way of attempting to cure cancer in children, this is definitely NOT a Christian organization. The employees are not to be trusted in any way. They will stab you in the back the first chance they get. Also, every move you make is watched and scrutinized to no end. I would recommend avoiding employment with St. Jude at all costs!
Temporary job with a lot of office work
Research Associate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 3, 2013
This was a temporary position I filled to help pick up some of the slack from a research associate going on maternity leave. I worked on a couple of case studies with patients and associates of past patients. Primarily this included meeting to gather consent and data. Other than meeting with study members, I also helped build and maintain databases.
Pros
good experience
Cons
temporary and a long commute
St Jude
Patient Scheduling - Clinical Informatics RN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 25, 2013
The hardest part of the job is seeing the suffering of the children and parents. A typical day is a 10 hour shift of making sure protocols are followed and patient's time on campus is minimized. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the kids we have cured when they come back for follow ups.
Pros
scrub allotments
Cons
very short breaks, inadequate staffing
The bioinformatics group is not a good place to work
biology scientist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 5, 2013
The hospital overall is great, but working in the bioinformatics group is tough. I'm a biology scientist at St Jude and have regular interaction with the bioinformatics group.

If you don't want to work 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, don't go to the bioinformatics group at St Jude. Also, the job security is not good. Since the new manager took over the bioinformatics group in the summer 2012, 2 people got fired already.

Comment – August 18, 2013

2 more people got fired since the above comment was posted. Totally 4 people got fired within one year. This is why they keep on recruiting.

loved the company. hated the department
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2014
For the time that I first started, I really enjoyed working w/my supervisor. SD was an awesome and caring person. Since she was demoted as my super, management became prejudice and non concern. They only allowed advancement to certain workers. I'll never work in CBT again.
Pros
helping the children
Cons
poor management

4.4