St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

St. Jude
Registered Nurse Solid Tumor Inpatient Unit (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 10, 2016
St. Jude is a wonderful place to take your children for cancer treatment. It's a wonderful place to work as well, however it can also be a dark place to work. We have miracles but we also deal with death and bad news on a daily basis and eventually it can take it's toll.
My manager is amazing and I work with some of the toughest people I know. They handle stress well.
The hardest part of my job is saying goodbye to a child I've gotten close to as they take their final breath.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing kids come back cancer free to visit us.
Pros
Great facility, state of the art equipment, good management
Cons
Death, burn out
Happy Camper
Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2016
Great place to work. Management and co-workers are great! Not a hard job and the joy of meeting new people. The growth and benefits make you want to come to work.
Pros
Stress free work environment
Cons
Kids dying for different illness.
A world class intitution
Sr. Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 23, 2016
I had a great time working at SJCRH. It is truly miraculous, the work they do for ill children. I worked in a collaborative and dynamic department where I participated in many projects over 7 years.
Rated Top 100 Place to work
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2015
My typical night at work is a pretty busy one at the beginning but it slows down in about the 3rd hour into the shift. I have learned a tremendous amount of information about St. Jude and their values. They value the care of the patients and families. I work with patients that have catastrophic diseases and the hardest part of my job is getting attached to the patients especially the ones that you know will loose their battle. But on the other hand, the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people from different countries, races, religion and creed along with interacting with the patients especially if I can make them smile on one of those not so good days.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
occasional rushed breaks
Volunteer with my young child
Thon coordinator (Current Employee) –  Katy, TxMarch 31, 2015
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, participate & support the Trike-a-thon
April 2011 – Present
Teach children riding-toy safety lessons while helping save the lives of children battling cancer and other catastrophic diseases. As a Trike-A-Thon coordinator, you can utilize your passion for educating kids. As a participant, your child can learn valuable safety skills while earning prizes based on the donations they raise.
A great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at St.Jude Children's Research Hospital. I only decided to leave, because it has been a long term dream of mine to become a Police Officer.
Pros
The Company alone
Very Rewarding
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 15, 2016
My overall experience at St. Jude Children's Hospital was very rewarding. I met awesome employees at this company and most importantly I built a rapport with the families and patients of St. Jude.
Poor management
Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 2, 2014
Unfortunately in the research side of St Jude there is very little concern for a work/life balance. The management has been there for a long time and even if they do something that should get a normal person fired they have something equivalent to tenure and they only get disciplined for their actions. I only worked on the research side of St Jude, I know it is a wwonderful place for kids and they really do wonderful research theere. My biggest complaint is with my boss in particular. I am sure there are other departments that were not as stressful as mine was due to the management.
Pros
kay kafe
Cons
poor management
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 30, 2015
Awesome place to work. Excellent benefits and working condition. Patients and family treated wonderful and treated with compassion and respect
Great institution and cause
Fish Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2015
Excellent institution to work for and donate towards. World class hospital and care for children and their families. Great place to work.
Pros
World class institution, work with a helpful purpose
Cons
Job security, constant replacements
Great
Lead Patient Account/Medical Billing & Collection (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 3, 2015
It is a Great experience working here at St Jude. Everyone here exemplifies great leadership skills. It's is all about the kids here at St Jude. I would recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Patient Care
Cons
None that I can think of
prepare to work 100 hrs/week for little to no money or thanks
EVENT MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  united statesJune 1, 2013
it's for a great cause but management is severely lacking in experience. you will work 80hrs/week at least most of the time and supposed "comp" days will really be days used for you to work from home. expect a constant barrage of emails expected to be answered even on your "days off". do not expect fair compensation for this position either. growth is contained to head office in memphis so if you are in a regional office don't expect to be promoted. managers don't keep same schedule as employees and often work only a typical 9-5 so any complaints you have are met with "this is the job" attitude. you will be exhausted all of the time and underpaid, i would advise searching other non profits. asking for a raise will get you a guilt trip!
Great place to work but mismatch between perception and reality in some areas
Employee (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2013
A + for marketing itself as a world renowned cancer center for children that is compassionate and caring.

C - For actually carrying out its patient focused mission. With an exception of a few physicians, most leave too much patient care and contact to supporting nursing staff.

A for research although at the expense of delivering better quality patient care.

A - F for Senior Management. Most very engaged, supportive, and informed. But a few who are disconnected, uninformed, and lack ability to manage their areas. Result - unable to adequately evaluate those who report to them, indecisive, and manage by consensus.

A for culture and compensation. Overall, very employee friendly and supportive, perhaps too much so. HR continually strives to make it a better place to work, although too many employees complain no matter how well they have it.
Pros
great place to work with a few exceptions
Cons
exceptions
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 19, 2015
St. Jude is a great place to work. A typical day at work consists of preparing outgoing mail, scanning and verifying surveys from participants in studies, and completing Food Frequency Questionnaire appointments in a clinic on St. Jude campus. My manager is a great manager. He is laid back, easy going, and very respectful and considerate of his employees. The hardest part of my job is the increase in the work load that has happened in the past few months. Some days consist of just trying to keep afloat with everything. The most enjoyable part of my job is loving what I do and who I do it for.
Pros
recognition for a job well done, room for advancement, birthday celebrations
Cons
no assigned parking, work load can be excessive at times
very sad place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 31, 2015
It takes a person who can deal with the death of children. and it was simply to hard for me emotionaly. It was hard to see the children and their family deal with such hard times and most of the time not get to get better. I woked on the BMT unit step down icu
Dark Secrets
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Memphis TnDecember 30, 2014
The racism and nepotism that exists at St Jude is unbelievable . If you are white and not related to someone it is very hard to get a job in the support staff positions ( Par Linen Tech) or other support depts.. I was laid off from St Jude through no fault of my own. How HR and the dept. director handled the situation was disgraceful . You would think being a former employee with a good work record it would be easy to get re-hired ? NOT SO !!! if a dept. was all white with all white mangers there would be discriminations lawsuits filed . Why does HR allow reverse discrimination to take place ? If you are white you will not get hired at certain departments at St Jude.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
the discrimination & nepotism
Great Place to work
Pro Bono Project Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 8, 2015
Great place to work for a worthy cause. Who can say no to bbeing part of a team that helps children with cancer. Open atmosphere to new ideas and ways to enhance marketing initiatives.
Great Enviroment
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2015
Working at St Jude has been great. Other than the wonderful mission of help families with their sick children, St Jude has been a great place to expand in knowledge and expertise. Even though I do not work in the field in which I received my degree, working at St Jude has helped me learn from different management styles.
Pros
great benefits
Over all a nice place to work and has good benefits
Lab Informatics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 1, 2015
This is one of the good place to work. I enjoyed working there for good cause, working for sick kids. Good benefits. Co-oworkers can be non supportive some times.
best place to work ever
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 24, 2012
I learned alot about different cultures and met lots of people from other countries, the staff was awesome. I started on oncology floor and eventually i was approached by a staff member from the bone marrow transplant floor suggesting I should transfer to gain more knowledge and experience. It was the best decision I ever made in my career.
Pros
great benefits, great experience

4.3