St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Happy Camper
Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2016
Great place to work. Management and co-workers are great! Not a hard job and the joy of meeting new people. The growth and benefits make you want to come to work.
Pros
Stress free work environment
Cons
Kids dying for different illness.
St. Jude
Registered Nurse Solid Tumor Inpatient Unit (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 10, 2016
St. Jude is a wonderful place to take your children for cancer treatment. It's a wonderful place to work as well, however it can also be a dark place to work. We have miracles but we also deal with death and bad news on a daily basis and eventually it can take it's toll.
My manager is amazing and I work with some of the toughest people I know. They handle stress well.
The hardest part of my job is saying goodbye to a child I've gotten close to as they take their final breath.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing kids come back cancer free to visit us.
Pros
Great facility, state of the art equipment, good management
Cons
Death, burn out
Rated Top 100 Place to work
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2015
My typical night at work is a pretty busy one at the beginning but it slows down in about the 3rd hour into the shift. I have learned a tremendous amount of information about St. Jude and their values. They value the care of the patients and families. I work with patients that have catastrophic diseases and the hardest part of my job is getting attached to the patients especially the ones that you know will loose their battle. But on the other hand, the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people from different countries, races, religion and creed along with interacting with the patients especially if I can make them smile on one of those not so good days.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
occasional rushed breaks
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 30, 2015
Awesome place to work. Excellent benefits and working condition. Patients and family treated wonderful and treated with compassion and respect
Excellent people, management and a wonderfully humbling place to work
Medical Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 24, 2016
Exceptional learning environment.
Fun workplace with many opportunities to contribute to the organization as a whole.
Helpful friendly staff
Best part of the job is the people, their dedication and commitment.
Pros
The management, employees and Hospital as a whole
Cons
I was only a temp employee. St. Jude would be my ultimate place to work
Volunteer with my young child
Thon coordinator (Current Employee) –  Katy, TxMarch 31, 2015
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, participate & support the Trike-a-thon
April 2011 – Present
Teach children riding-toy safety lessons while helping save the lives of children battling cancer and other catastrophic diseases. As a Trike-A-Thon coordinator, you can utilize your passion for educating kids. As a participant, your child can learn valuable safety skills while earning prizes based on the donations they raise.
Dark Secrets
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Memphis TnDecember 30, 2014
The racism and nepotism that exists at St Jude is unbelievable . If you are white and not related to someone it is very hard to get a job in the support staff positions ( Par Linen Tech) or other support depts.. I was laid off from St Jude through no fault of my own. How HR and the dept. director handled the situation was disgraceful . You would think being a former employee with a good work record it would be easy to get re-hired ? NOT SO !!! if a dept. was all white with all white mangers there would be discriminations lawsuits filed . Why does HR allow reverse discrimination to take place ? If you are white you will not get hired at certain departments at St Jude.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
the discrimination & nepotism
St. Jude
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 10, 2016
Very busy and rewarding job. Not sure how good promotion from with in. Would love to crosstrain. I think this would assist with making it a GREAT place to work. Great workout area and cafeteria.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can get lost in the shuffle because so many people.
A wonderful place to work....
Patient Care Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 26, 2016
I love working at St. Jude because it makes me feel like a big and the families up here is very awesome. St. Jude gave me experinces that I never had and you're learning something new everyday. So, I give St. Jude 5 stars.
A world class intitution
Sr. Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 23, 2016
I had a great time working at SJCRH. It is truly miraculous, the work they do for ill children. I worked in a collaborative and dynamic department where I participated in many projects over 7 years.
Over all a nice place to work and has good benefits
Lab Informatics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 1, 2015
This is one of the good place to work. I enjoyed working there for good cause, working for sick kids. Good benefits. Co-oworkers can be non supportive some times.
prepare to work 100 hrs/week for little to no money or thanks
EVENT MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  united statesJune 1, 2013
it's for a great cause but management is severely lacking in experience. you will work 80hrs/week at least most of the time and supposed "comp" days will really be days used for you to work from home. expect a constant barrage of emails expected to be answered even on your "days off". do not expect fair compensation for this position either. growth is contained to head office in memphis so if you are in a regional office don't expect to be promoted. managers don't keep same schedule as employees and often work only a typical 9-5 so any complaints you have are met with "this is the job" attitude. you will be exhausted all of the time and underpaid, i would advise searching other non profits. asking for a raise will get you a guilt trip!
Great place to work!
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Everyone that I come into contact with on a daily basis is thrilled to be at work. That sort of attitude is contagious and makes it inevitable to love your job there. My co-workers have come from all over the world and motivate me to do the best I can.The hardest part of my job is going home at the end of the day. Everyone is so driven and excited to be there, making the people the best part of working there.
Pros
talks/speakers all over campus, great benefits, gym, community
Cons
not enough parking
Rewarding work
Regional Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 2, 2016
Rewarding work, growing company and genuine people. Work life balance is pretty off, but generally a good place to work.
Great place to work but mismatch between perception and reality in some areas
Employee (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2013
A + for marketing itself as a world renowned cancer center for children that is compassionate and caring.

C - For actually carrying out its patient focused mission. With an exception of a few physicians, most leave too much patient care and contact to supporting nursing staff.

A for research although at the expense of delivering better quality patient care.

A - F for Senior Management. Most very engaged, supportive, and informed. But a few who are disconnected, uninformed, and lack ability to manage their areas. Result - unable to adequately evaluate those who report to them, indecisive, and manage by consensus.

A for culture and compensation. Overall, very employee friendly and supportive, perhaps too much so. HR continually strives to make it a better place to work, although too many employees complain no matter how well they have it.
Pros
great place to work with a few exceptions
Cons
exceptions
Very Rewarding
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 15, 2016
My overall experience at St. Jude Children's Hospital was very rewarding. I met awesome employees at this company and most importantly I built a rapport with the families and patients of St. Jude.
A great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at St.Jude Children's Research Hospital. I only decided to leave, because it has been a long term dream of mine to become a Police Officer.
Pros
The Company alone
Cons
Great team work and fundraising for the children of St. Jude
Office Manager/Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJuly 10, 2012
Loved working there. It was the fundraising arm of St. Jude located in Norcross, GA. Got to arrange fundraisers and participate in them. Helped with setting vendors getting free food for volunteers. Enjoyed working there. The hardest part was seeing the children and their history. Some were so happy even though they were sick.
Being able to be part of an organization that took care of employees also. Benefits were wonderful and no questions were ever unanswered.
Pros
helpful staff and easy to get along with
Cons
found no cons, wish i could go back there but no openings.
Great place to work,
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 29, 2015
Great place to work with great benefits and compensation. Outstanding Mission Statement benefiting children with cancer.
Great Enviroment
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2015
Working at St Jude has been great. Other than the wonderful mission of help families with their sick children, St Jude has been a great place to expand in knowledge and expertise. Even though I do not work in the field in which I received my degree, working at St Jude has helped me learn from different management styles.
Pros
great benefits

4.3