St. Louis County Library Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Beware!!
employee (Current Employee) –  Saint LouisAugust 12, 2015
this is one of the most bizarrely organized organizations you'll come across! The pay is horrible! The benefits are good. This is THE definition of the most horribly run bureaucracies I've EVER had experience with!! Management is some of the worst I've seen! Positions open up through attrition and not always does the most qualified person get the job! Unless you like getting underpaid and being told to do one thing but then instructed to do another STAY FAR AWAY! I'm being serious!!!!
Pros
benefits, time off
Cons
management, pay, having people actually listen to you
Easy job with difficult work environment
Bookmobile Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 11, 2015
Every branch has it's own culture and for the most part, co-workers are more than amicable. At the Headquarters branch, however, there is an obvious clique-oriented atmosphere that makes relating with people from other departments needlessly difficult.

Job duties were very easy: The only difficult part being the massive amounts of down time one has, so it's important to know how to keep oneself busy. A typical work day would consist of unplugging the bookmobile unit, warm up truck for the average 8:15 departure time, drive to designated school, prepare unit for students, set up personal desk inside school, wait for students to come and then check in their books at fifteen minute intervals, repeat until scheduled time to leave, return to Headquarters branch and check truck for any anomalies. Shift ends at 4:30 pm.

Co-workers tended to engage in heavy gossip and often at another co-worker's expense and had only a mild sense of team work ethic and often required prompted to help out with work loads. Having a mastery of verbal judo a plus for dealing with certain co-workers.
Pros
Extrodinarily easy job, access to books/DVDs/CDs/video games, reasonable benfits, lots of downtime.
Cons
Passive-agressive work atmosphere, lots of downtime, job cultrue filled with gossip.
Productive, fun and exciting workplace
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 30, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was to see the children excited to come to the library, pick out their own books and to be registered at the library with their own library card.
Pros
Wide variety of materials at the library. For example, books, cd's, dvd's.
Cons
There were no con's to this job.
Good place to work for close customer interaction.
Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ladue, MOFebruary 27, 2012
if you love working with the public then this is a great job for you. You will see a wide range of different cultures and ethnic groups. And if you are an avid reader then this is the great place to work.
Pros
being surrounded by books
Cons
not being able to read books your entire shift
Quiet place to work and some very good fellow employees to work with.
Library Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 25, 2013
Helping the community while at the same time learning a lot about keeping things organized and in proper order. Management is okay and my co-workers are neat. I'm looking foward to a long and prosperous future with this organization.
Good First Job, fun enviornment
Clerk I & II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2015
I Love working for the library. It's fast paced and fun, with a host of wonderful people, staff and patrons alike. The hours are set which started out as a good thing, but leaves little room if you'd like to work overtime.
Pros
Amazing programs and of course all the books you can read
Cons
No room to work extra hours
Enjoyable work, Close relationship with the community, Promoter in reading and education
September 2014 as Library Clerk (Current Employee) –  Eureka, MOJanuary 11, 2015
As a Circulation Assistant, I was able to handle basic patron needs, such as checking items in and out, creating and renewing records, taking fines, signing up for classes and activities, and promoting outreach in-house and in the community. You interact with patrons on a very personal level in helping them find information about topics with a wide range of media. The hardest part of the job is keeping all the patrons' preferences and questions in order, but your coworkers are always their to help with the load. You're also allowed to take on more responsibilities, and possibly more hours if the need should arise.

As a Library Clerk, duties are limited. This mainly consists of shelving items, fixing displays and being on the lookout for items that have reached their limit of usage or are too damaged to keep. You're encouraged to have basic knowledge of the systems used for the public and library, but are limited in how much you can help the patrons.

Hours are set, with more opportunities for extra shifts if you're a part-time Circulation Assistant as opposed to a part-time Library Clerk.
A Educational area of kind people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 3, 2013
A wide range of programs for all age levels, a computer lab, and meeting room space are offered at the Weber Road Branch Library. Staff are always friendly and helpful in my experience. It was also helpful to have an explanation of how to use all of the resources i was required to use in the library. I'm proud to have this library in our community.
Pros
Enjoyable, Educational
Cons
No money earned from volunteering
Great place to work!
Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint LouisApril 2, 2015
Great place to work! Great Company! The staff and leadership team are good people! I love being surrounded by books!

Great location! Just a fun place to work.
Pros
Rate of pay
Great job
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MODecember 3, 2014
I assisted customers in the library any way I could, whether it was help with research, computer problems, or locating an item in the library. I also did some shelving and related clerk duties when needed. I stayed after and performed all the closing duties like clean up, counting money, and setting the alarm on a regular basis.

4.4