St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Employee Reviews

Eh? Maybe not the best place to work.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63115June 2, 2016
A typical work day for this department is a heavy workload. A lot of radio assignments, dealing with minor to violent offenses. Homicides, shootings, burglaries, and car break ins are at the top of the list.

I learned this department is not the place to retire anymore. It seems quite evident if/when I retire from this department, if I do 20 years, I will have to find another job. If I do 30 years, I will have to start looking at which casket I would like to be buried inside (figuratively speaking).

The management for the department is politically driven like police departments, in general. It is about who you know and not what you know. The hardest part of the job is not getting off on time or making plans to do something. We are short of manpower, officers are burnt out; and we are underpaid and overworked.

As far as co-workers, we are like a big family. For the most part, officers do get along and respect each other. We have this "We are in this together" mentality.

On a good notice, the department does give you job security and overtime is readily available. If you do not have a family or many obligations, then this department is right for you! Overtime, overtime, do you want to work overtime?? They are looking for applicants right now; Apply!
Pros
Job security, gain experience, recruits are paid through the academy, three weeks of vacations (starting off)
Cons
Retirement, benefits, and salaries are disappointing, heavy workload, a lot of forced overtime
Rewarding Career
Commander - Academy Director (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 15, 2016
The job of a Commander with the SLMPD is very rewarding and challenging. During my 21 year career I've learned how to manage subordinates, career, personal time and raising a family.

Developing plans and following those plans has help me succeed. Providing guidance and leadership to civilians, sergeants and officers is a typical day at work. Problem solving and motivation are a key part of my responsibilities and are probably the most difficult part of my job.
Pros
Every day is different
Cons
Never enogh time in a day
Great work environment
Communication Specialist II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 10, 2016
Great place to work, supervisors not that knowledgeable, co-workers help out one another, officers were great to work with. Hours are good, supervisors help with needing days off.
Pros
co-worker
Cons
supervisors
A productive and exciting agency to work for.
Detective - Homicide/Narcotics/DEA (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MissouriJuly 23, 2014
There is no typical day in a metropolitan police agency. The "rush" is always present. The learning experience is always present. The management is for the most part experienced. There is many career advancement opportunities that strengthen an officers morale and career.
The hardest part of the job is trying to arrest all the criminals. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the final conclusion of a court trial when the suspect goes to jail.
Pros
A superior and exciting job.
Cons
Some political pressure.
Great co-workers.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis City, MOSeptember 29, 2015
Great job security. There are vast areas of expertise, and positions available. You don't have to be restricted to uniform patrol your entire career, there are plenty of opportunities.
Pros
Unbeatable experience
Cons
Consistently in the top 5 most dangerous cities in the U.S..
Great place to start my career.
Telephone Report Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 26, 2012
During my time with the Police Department I earned my Bachelor's in Accounting and Associates in Business. I worked with multiple levels of management. I worked with Internal Affairs, the detectives of special units, and police officers by typing and transcribing police reports. I also assisted citizens with filing non-emergency police reports. The hardest part of my job was the inconsistency in policies and procedures. We had three shifts and all three shifts had different procedures with typing reports. I enjoyed the ability to pursue my education and continue to work full time.
Pros
tuition assistance, working with different departments
Cons
inconsistency with policies and procedures.
Productive and active workplace
Communications Specialist II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 8, 2015
A job with a many highs and lows, both in work flow and adrenaline rushes. Diverse colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Work here can be life or death, so knowledge of procedures is key and adapting to new procedures, hours, changes in shifts, police protocol is very important. Knowing you made some difference in someone's day is the best part, and helps justify the hard work and the negative counterparts.
A busy yet rewarding career that provides daily interaction with others.
Police Officer Academy Instructor Recruit Superv (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 11, 2012
As a St. Louis City Police Officer I am met with daily task which require me to have interaction with the community as well as my co-workers. I am currently the Supervisor for 29 Police Recruits, which requires ingenuity and creativity. Along with being a supervisor I instruct the Recruits in Juvenile Procedures, Domestic Violence, Human Behavior, and Ethics. I believe the hardest part of my job is not having enough time in the day to ensure that each Recruit has recieved the needed information for success. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to mold the Recruits into the best future police officers they are able to become. Also, I enjoy the camaraderie that is shared with my co-workers.
Pros
being a police officer gives me a since of pride.
Cons
not being able to aid in assisting every citizen with the issues in their lives.
I worked for good and bad supervisors
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 12, 2012
The Police Department is a job that is not for everyone. You have to be a priest, doctor, social worker, etc..

Each day can be different in that you never know what the assignment will be.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
long hours and rotating shifts
Not a fun workplace.
Police Officer P.O.S.T. Certified (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2015
High stress and supervisors are always stressing for employees to produce numbers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with closely on a day to day basis.
Constantly Evolving
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis CityDecember 10, 2013
Go to work, answer radio assignments, self initiated calls... Address Problem Areas within the district

Wonderful Co-workers (easy to get along with)

Hardest part of the job would be the hours being changed with less than 24 hours notice.

the best part would be the ability to address situations as you see fit.
Pros
Wonderful direct supervision
Cons
horrible hours
Fun Exicting
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 3, 2015
Being able to work with officers was fun and something new, working in a warehouse is not as bad as you think its very easy filing paper work was not bad either.
Fun place to work for.
Police Officer-Forensic Examiner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 25, 2014
Fun and exciting job as you get to make a difference in the lives of the citizens that are in the area, but the job is not for everyone.
Pros
Training
Cons
Work environment
tough but fun
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  city of st. louisSeptember 27, 2013
handle radio calls for service

patrol in one man or two man car assignments

must be able to work without someone telling you what to do
Good department
Deputy Marshal (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 16, 2014
It's been a struggling experience, nothing is ever the same. Be on your best behavior.