St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Employee Reviews

Able to help people in need.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 16, 2017
St. Louis is a diverse work place and was a great place to start as a policemen. I learned a lot as a police officer as everyday was a different day and nothing was the same.
Pros
Getting to catch bad guys and helping people in need.
Cons
Poor upper management, never praised, always on a grind.
Law enforcement support
Area Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 28, 2017
In a typical day it's normal to stay busy from start to end of shift. The hardest part of the job is working hard and not seeing the change you are making in the community.
relocation
Police Trainee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 18, 2017
I was a trainee, due to relocation I had to resign. The company over all was serious about training great policemen and women. They are a great company
Structured environment with room to advance
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  1200 Clark Ave St. Louis MOMay 17, 2017
I worked for SLMPD for nearly 30 years and during this time I found my position as a Telephone Report Specialist to be fulfilling and although hectic at times, I was able to work independently and with little or no supervision. I enjoyed communicating one on one with peeson(s) who would call to make police reports or conduct other legal business.
Pros
Job stability, great benefits, ability to work overtime
Cons
Worked weekends and holidays
Overall summary of work environment can be very stressful at times.
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2017
The hardest part of this job is working (7) full days weekly prior to having a day off, a typical day consist of clerical support and other office responsibilities, management is not consistent base on the duties and requirements of the department, workplace culture is diverse, the enjoyment part of my job is assisting the city citizens in matters pertaining to their communities and personal matters that require law enforcement information. I have gain a significant amount of knowledge in legal /unlawful circumstance of criminal justice that can be beneficial to myself , organizations and others. Working for the department offers many challenging moments that has provided me with the opportunity to witness the importance of our Law Enforcement daily responsibilities and roles that is needed to keep our communities safe.
Pros
Meeting new people and interacting with co-workers on a professional level.
Cons
Working a afternoon shift
Moral Crushing
Investigator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2017
The organization has the potential to be a "great" place to work. However, there is not a merit based system of promotion, nepotism, and cronyism are high, which all culminate in low moral.
Pros
Giving back to the community.
Cons
Working all holidays and swing shifts.
Review
Detective (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 28, 2017
On a typical day of work, I travel throughout the City of St. Louis and investigate stolen automobiles. While this job is very enjoyable, it has taken to much from my family life.
Pros
team environment
Cons
change schedule with days off
Very good work moral.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 2, 2016
A typical work day includes investigating and interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects. I have learned many investigative techniques and time management. Most co-workers are easy to get along with. The hardest part of this job is being away from family due to long work days and stretches of not days off. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to do what I enjoy which is investigating and talking with people.
Pros
Ability to meet a variety of people.
Cons
Rotating work schedule.
Rewarding Career
Commander - Academy Director (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 15, 2016
The job of a Commander with the SLMPD is very rewarding and challenging. During my 21 year career I've learned how to manage subordinates, career, personal time and raising a family.

Developing plans and following those plans has help me succeed. Providing guidance and leadership to civilians, sergeants and officers is a typical day at work. Problem solving and motivation are a key part of my responsibilities and are probably the most difficult part of my job.
Pros
Every day is different
Cons
Never enogh time in a day
Great work environment
Communication Specialist II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 10, 2016
Great place to work, supervisors not that knowledgeable, co-workers help out one another, officers were great to work with. Hours are good, supervisors help with needing days off.
Pros
co-worker
Cons
supervisors
Eh? Maybe not the best place to work.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63115June 2, 2016
A typical work day for this department is a heavy workload. A lot of radio assignments, dealing with minor to violent offenses. Homicides, shootings, burglaries, and car break ins are at the top of the list.

I learned this department is not the place to retire anymore. It seems quite evident if/when I retire from this department, if I do 20 years, I will have to find another job. If I do 30 years, I will have to start looking at which casket I would like to be buried inside (figuratively speaking).

The management for the department is politically driven like police departments, in general. It is about who you know and not what you know. The hardest part of the job is not getting off on time or making plans to do something. We are short of manpower, officers are burnt out; and we are underpaid and overworked.

As far as co-workers, we are like a big family. For the most part, officers do get along and respect each other. We have this "We are in this together" mentality.

On a good notice, the department does give you job security and overtime is readily available. If you do not have a family or many obligations, then this department is right for you! Overtime, overtime, do you want to work overtime?? They are looking for applicants right now; Apply!
Pros
Job security, gain experience, recruits are paid through the academy, three weeks of vacations (starting off)
Cons
Retirement, benefits, and salaries are disappointing, heavy workload, a lot of forced overtime
Great co-workers.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis City, MOSeptember 29, 2015
Great job security. There are vast areas of expertise, and positions available. You don't have to be restricted to uniform patrol your entire career, there are plenty of opportunities.
Pros
Unbeatable experience
Cons
Consistently in the top 5 most dangerous cities in the U.S..
Not a fun workplace.
Police Officer P.O.S.T. Certified (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2015
High stress and supervisors are always stressing for employees to produce numbers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with closely on a day to day basis.
Productive and active workplace
Communications Specialist II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 8, 2015
A job with a many highs and lows, both in work flow and adrenaline rushes. Diverse colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Work here can be life or death, so knowledge of procedures is key and adapting to new procedures, hours, changes in shifts, police protocol is very important. Knowing you made some difference in someone's day is the best part, and helps justify the hard work and the negative counterparts.
Fun Exicting
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 3, 2015
Being able to work with officers was fun and something new, working in a warehouse is not as bad as you think its very easy filing paper work was not bad either.
Good department
Deputy Marshal (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 16, 2014
It's been a struggling experience, nothing is ever the same. Be on your best behavior.
A productive and exciting agency to work for.
Detective - Homicide/Narcotics/DEA (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MissouriJuly 23, 2014
There is no typical day in a metropolitan police agency. The "rush" is always present. The learning experience is always present. The management is for the most part experienced. There is many career advancement opportunities that strengthen an officers morale and career.
The hardest part of the job is trying to arrest all the criminals. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the final conclusion of a court trial when the suspect goes to jail.
Pros
A superior and exciting job.
Cons
Some political pressure.
Fun place to work for.
Police Officer-Forensic Examiner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 25, 2014
Fun and exciting job as you get to make a difference in the lives of the citizens that are in the area, but the job is not for everyone.
Pros
Training
Cons
Work environment
Constantly Evolving
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis CityDecember 10, 2013
Go to work, answer radio assignments, self initiated calls... Address Problem Areas within the district

Wonderful Co-workers (easy to get along with)

Hardest part of the job would be the hours being changed with less than 24 hours notice.

the best part would be the ability to address situations as you see fit.
Pros
Wonderful direct supervision
Cons
horrible hours
tough but fun
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  city of st. louisSeptember 27, 2013
handle radio calls for service

patrol in one man or two man car assignments

must be able to work without someone telling you what to do