St. Louis Public Schools Employee Reviews

st louis public schools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  st louis citySeptember 19, 2017
st louis public schools is a very excellent place to work. my work day started at 8:00 and ended by 4:00.
i taught grades k-5 and special needs classes.
i always had the necessary materials and resources needed for my classes
Pros
relaxed, comfortable, professional
Cons
Never knew what was going on or the goal for learning.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 3, 2017
Teachers could run their own classroom and did get to teach. They had to manage their own discipline which resulted in phone calls home to parents. Administrators did not want to deal with these issues and it reflected back onto the teacher if you set a student to the office. In the magnet school I was in the students desired to learn and would do what you asked. I learned quite a bit about students and about teaching methods while there. The staff was friendly and helpful and wanted you to succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students succeed and feel good about themselves as they progressed.
Pros
Low teacher pay and low paying retirement system
Cons
Good, motivated students.
Able to give the students what they needed to have a safe and balanced day at School
Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 8, 2017
Check Students in that where tardy, Made sure they had some kind of breakfast. I learned that the Principal never stopped being a Principal, she always worked to better the environment for the children and their parents. I was able to give workshops of information for the parents so they could be on the same page with the teaching staff and their student/child. Allowed to family fieldtrips to expose families to outside activities. The hardest part of the job was when it ended. The most enjoyable part was everyday going to work,
Pros
Helo Parents understand their rights inside the school system, wlecomed and invited every Parent to be an active part of their students growth
Cons
The Parents that didn't want to participate for various reasons
Please read my review below
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 28, 2017
St. Louis Public Schools is on the mend! It is good place of employment but I'm struggling with the idea of teacher appreciation. Salaries are not competitive (too low) with other school districts in the St. Louis area. I think management and leadership are great!
Pros
Great Leadership
Cons
Salaries aren't competitive with other districts.
temporary
Temporary Lunch Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2017
I liked working at the school at the lunch attendant, nice hours but need full time work. As a temp I had to go from one school to the next if there was a need for me.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
unstable
crazy places
Continuing Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 23, 2017
It all depends on which principle you have and each one runs the school how they feel fit. There are the deep rooted problems of the city- crime, poverty, prejudice.
Pros
short hours
Cons
working in the city
Productive and fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  MissouriJune 13, 2017
I Love working at St. Louis public schools, because I come across children from all walks of life and they come together for one thing and that is to learn the core curriculum that I am teaching.
managing students
Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 1, 2017
Managing students and helping students stay in school from suspension. Also creating lesson plans and supervising students throughout the day as needed. Meeting with other leaders in the building to develop plans for students.
Pros
Being with the students.
Cons
Not enough time in the day
SLPS is a large urban school district serving a large population of at risk students.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2017
SLPS is always looking for researched based practices to improve student performance. Toward this end, they provided teachers with ample professional development, but very little implementation time. Over the years I've gained substantial knowledge about teaching strategies, data analysis, teaching with technology and differentiating instruction. The hardest part of the job is collectively trying to meet all the demands of your students, parents, colleagues, administrators, and district officials. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging students with new concepts, information, strategies and images of themselves.
Pros
Developing authentic relationships with students, families and colleagues.
Cons
Perpetual work.
residents loved it
Counselor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 9, 2017
The staff were very supportive of the clients. The company promoted a culture of family. There were a lot of opportunities for advancement. The salary was OK.
Pros
clients
Difficult and rewarding
Child Care Attendant/Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 8, 2017
It is extremely rewarding to be a part of a young persons life and know you have made a difference in their abilities. When they finally "get it", it is great to see the look on their face. It is difficult due to the minority of kids who are not well behaved. Though they are the minority, they take away the most time from the kids who are there for the right reasons and it becomes frustrating.
Love the Kids
Special Education ICA (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 4, 2017
Great place to work. Compensation does not appear to meet the standard in relationship to other schools. The students are fun to work with. For the most part they come to school open minded and ready to work.
Pros
Free Insurance
Cons
Support from administration
Great starting point for entry level para-professionals
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 2, 2017
Greatful for the opportunity, my experience with St. Louis Public Schools has been rewarding yet disappointing. There is an enormous lack of trust and communication amongst administrators and direct supports. I was able to learn several new skills and become more knowledgeable aboout the education field. I will always be thankful for the opportunity to expand my skill set and for the knowledge I attained.
Pros
Great Benefits, Hour Lunches, Opportunity to learn new systems
Cons
No fair opportunities for advancement. No competitive wages, Lack of trust and communication amongst departments
Taught sescond grade in the city of St. Louis
Teacher-2nd Grade (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 1, 2017
I taught second grade in the St. Louis Public School District. I taught them the Missouri standards needed for their grade level. I taught small groups that included ela and math instruction.
Pros
pay
Cons
safety
Public School District
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 20, 2017
A typical work day includes: picking up your students, completing a "do now" activity and teaching the general education requirements to students with flare of your own touches.
Pros
working with students and families and building special bonds with co-workers
Cons
short planning periods and sometimes not getting the support you need with difficult behaviors
Making The Best of It
Custodial Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 2, 2017
One of the joys of working was being able to directly affect the lives of children that come to school to learn and develop skills for growth. Workload become more and more overbearing with new standards passed down from higher officals.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Lack of supoprt
it the job for you if you like working with kids
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOJanuary 26, 2017
Always will be a opening. They are always hiring. If you find a principal that like you, there is job security if they stick around long enough.......
St. Louis Public Schools is focused on making sure it has highly qualified staff. It has a high number of staff that have aquired advanced degrees.
Principal (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 26, 2017
St. Louis Public Schools is a wonderful place to work on behalf of children. The interaction with the students on a day to day basis is a priceless experience. I found joy in seeing students that did not have confidence in their learning ability gain the much needed confidence for a bright future. The hardest part of the job is weeding out the societal and cultural jackets placed on the students. Too often they did not see themselves living long prosperous lives. It is this reality that makes me roll up my sleeves and fight harder! We were able to create a culture where we believed we can achieve and assisted each other as we worked toward our goals. The students taught me how to love on a deeper level.
I had a great tim there.
Chiropractic Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 5, 2017
Next Week . I am going to start Jan 9 , 2017 . I learned management from a college in China, and I use the knowledge in my day life and working. . for example, When I brought Consumer working in Restore, The first time, I asked manager how many works should we do , which duty did we have, then I divided different part letting the Consumer to do, I assisted them by each Consumer ability and interested in at the same time I have been encouraging them keep going on. Off cause I must love them and vary care about them understand them very well , include them
habits and family and personality and so on.......
Pros
Good School.
Cons
It's a good opportunity to learn how to work with students as well as adults the events that occur in the schools.
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2016
I think working for St. Louis Public schools is a great job has really great benefits and pay it's a great place to get experience working in security working for St. Louis Public schools is also a good job if you're looking for permanent employment and job security
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not very flexible hours