St. Louis Public Schools Employee Reviews

It's a good opportunity to learn how to work with students as well as adults the events that occur in the schools.
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2016
I think working for St. Louis Public schools is a great job has really great benefits and pay it's a great place to get experience working in security working for St. Louis Public schools is also a good job if you're looking for permanent employment and job security
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not very flexible hours
need improvements in promotion and salaries
Secretary (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2016
Need to revamp promotion and salary upgrade programs for the clerical staff. Needed more scholarship and financial incentives for lower and middle level staff.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Committed to community enhancement through education
Family and Community Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 9, 2016
Flexible job and work schedule. I learned that grants process can be brutal. Management was supportive. Good coworkers who got along. Required more hours than prescribed. The best part was being able to work with young people and him them towards their dreams.
Pros
pay was good, flex schedule
Cons
Grant was not renewed
Great Benefits and supportive team
Special Education Case Manager/Mentor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2015
Co-workers were excellent and always willing to assist new employees. Very rewarding job. Outstanding professional development training. Excellent benefits.
Pros
Supportive employees
Cons
Family and Community Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 3, 2016
I enjoy working with the students and families of the SLPS district. its nice working with colleagues that share the same vision of making a better future through educating children.
The company is a productive and fun place to work.
General Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 6, 2016
St. Louis Public Schools is a productive and fun place to work.
The job requires highly energetic individuals. The paper work load is a little bit too much, but expected in a school setting. Workers seem to get along well. The work environment is diverse. The hardest part of the job for some may be classroom management. The most enjoyable part is when your students return years later thanking you for all you did and do.
Leading by example is non existent
Social Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2012
Although there was much to learn on a daily basis about the people being helped, managers and higher level administration did not seem to be wholly concerned with the well being of the students. It only seemed to focus on fiduciary benefits of the administration with no regard for the future of the organization and those who may potentially manage the organization. The hardest part of the job was knowing that upper management and the administration did not support its educators and turned a deaf ear when problems occurred. The most enjoyable part of this job was the children and listening to their stories and dreams and being a positive beacon of light in their lives at that moment.
Cons
too many to mention
It is priceless to be able to help and educate children.
INSTRUCTIONAL CARE AIDE/SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 30, 2016
The staff helps make the job easier. Being in an educational environment where you can teach as well as learn daily. Some days can be challenging as each child has different issues. However, by the end of the day, it's good to see some of those issues resolved.
Pros
The balance of work and family.
Cons
It's not a salaried position.
I was a seventh grade teacher
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MoApril 30, 2012
Teaching is one of those fields that is super rewarding but requires so much of you as a person. You really have to have a passion for it. The pay is decent, benefits are constantly decreasing, and the management can be ever changing. While I was teaching In my three years of teacher we went through two different superintendents. Each one bringing new rules, regulations, and standards. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually seeing the progress some of the children were making. The hardest part was working with or around the administration, parents, and ever changing standards.
Pros
teaching the youth
Cons
benefits, requirements, turnover rate, support, shortage of supplies
St Louis Public Schools
Educator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2014
I arrive at work no later than 7:45am to prepare for the day. The work day could consist of working with small groups to managing students for behavior modification. Mandatory meetings are held every Monday. I create lesson plan for small groups. The work day is full. Therefore, I have to be ready to change projects at a moments notice and be able to adjust. I love the variety of work that needs to be done.
Pros
I love working the the students and having a variety of things to do, meeting the parents and making new friends.
Cons
I work only 10.5 months of the year and don't have benefits.
Productive and fun work place
Instructional Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 22, 2015
A great company to work for , the best part to me is working with the kids and watching them learn and enjoy it . Great work environment , very professional .
Pros
benifits
Great Staff
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 13, 2013
Great working with the students. I get the oppoartunity to work with students who may be having some difficulties in different areas, i.e, reading, math, etc. Also get to work with them with phyical education and other areas.
Pros
get to get involved with different students in diffferent environments
Cons
salary
Job is rewarding yet challenging
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2013
I love working with children of all ages and mental capacities in a learning environment. I also love having control over my work assignments.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No benefits
Teaching in public school system.
Teacher/Special Education (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 28, 2015
A very challenging place to work. The challenge of teaching in an environment that doesn't support the employees made it tough.
Wonderful Job With Purpose
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 5, 2014
The ability to bring children examples of the possibilities before them was most rewarding. A typical day was spent identifying potential speakers, scheduling classroom presentations and coordinating special projects. Management was not effective in inspiring staff, and rarely offered any support or encouragement. This came from co-workers who were committed to providing students the best possible experiences. The hardest part of the job was the lack of trust in management. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the wonder and excitement of students who were introduced to people they may not have encountered otherwise,and who represented evidence that dreams, education and hard work pay off.
Pros
Engaging and inspiring students to reach their dreams
Cons
Poor leadership
Get ready to rumble!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 1, 2012
St. Louis Public Schools is a place that is like no other. It's nothing that you would expect in a school setting. Students are very disrespectful and will challenge you to the fullest capacity. The management in each building is not very consistent...sometimes you will get a great principal and most of the time you won't! However, the time off is very nice and necessary. Hardest part is the kids are rowdy and very hard to control. Best part of the job is vacation and sick time off! If you like a challlenge.....come on downnnnn!
Pros
long breaks
Cons
very stressful, inconsistent management
Enjoyed operating the machines
Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 15, 2015
Made sure my paper was in order for the jobs to be printed on. Check for job tickets and making the sure the writing on the ticket was correct before printing the job.
Pros
Customer service with the teachers and other employee's
Cons
Manager attitude
Example: ProVery busy. I learned that people are who they are. Management with the company is ok. Are goductive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Adult Education & Literacy Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2015
The company is ok to work for . Your qualifications does not matter it's all about who you know when it comes to promiotions.
Enjoyed working with students and staff.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 16, 2014
My last position was a Community Work Experience Teacher. We took special needs students to different job sites and taught them job skills. Most of the students were offered jobs when the training was over. I was responsible for writing IEP's and starting the re-evaluation procedure for their three year re-evaluations. The hardest part of this job was that I was out of the school building during the school day, however I was still responsible for having IEP's, reevaluations, lesson plans and anything else that was required of me turned in on time. My TA was very efficient and I could count on her to assist where she was needed. The most enjoyable part was taking the students to work and help them learn job skills.
Pros
Teaching special needs students workable job skills.
Cons
Some of theclassroom buildings did not have air conditions.
1st teaching job.
Home Economics Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 8, 2015
I didn't have much help in planning or guidance as the teacher that left destroyed all plans that she had used. A lot of negativity from teachers and students. I didn't have a very positive experience at this school.

St. Louis Public Schools Reviews by Location