St. Luke's Episcopal Health System Employee Reviews

Hospital
Patient Escort (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2017
Blessed to be working there as my starting job. Never forget where you start. Even after so many years visiting that place makes me feel welcomes. Great working staff. I worked with the best crew in the World
Cool place to work
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2017
I enjoyed working as a therapist on night shift. The people were fun. Every night was like a party. I only worked a few PRN shifts a week, but I did enjoy my time there. The staff was great. The work was easy!
Wonderful work environment and obvious care about employees
Senior Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 21, 2016
The work day began with intentional greetings from department management and quick group summary of the project's progress/direction. Great way to start the day!

I learned a great deal about positive reinforcement and redirection watching management. There was constant contact, communication and clear goals.

My co-workers were pleasant, informed, felt comfortable admitting that further explanation was needed, Management would react with informal reteaching and schedule training if needed. It really created an environment of transparency and encouragement! Other co-workers were encouraged to share and cross train.

The hardest part of the job was the massive undertaking of the project. There was constant input from department heads. It was a challenge to take huge amounts of data and manipulate them quickly. It pushed me to take a lead in streamlining processes. The initiative was well rewarded.
Pros
Extremely responsive IT team, excellent healthy food and beverage offerings for employees, Encouraging environment with training opportunities
Very busy, professional operating room.
Head Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2016
Work started around 6:30am, as I remember. Expectations were to "pull" supplies for your cases of the day. This could range from 1 to 8 or more.
My education was wonderful from the information shared by surgeons. I generally enjoyed most of the surgeons and worked very hard to perform well at my job.
I would often be required to stay past the end of shift especially if I wanted to have lunch. Sometimes this was fine.
An exciting and informative place to work.
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Texas Medical Center Houston, TXAugust 1, 2016
St. Lukes Episcopal Hosptial Transfusion Services was an intense and exciting place to work. Learned to work in all areas of the blood bank. Patient information and services were implemented by using the LIS system computer data system. Also reviewed all blood banking skills and passed competency tests in all areas. The commute, however, was a major difficulty in that it turned an eight hour work day into a 12 hour day.
Pros
Exciting and intense place to work with lots of informative continuing education
Cons
Commute
I will never quit working here!!!
Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2016
Strictly business here. No foolishness from staff and managers here. Money is great. Schedule is stable. I have been around the blocks and it seem that this place has the greenest grass. Sometime you wonder ,"Is there life out there?" I have learned the answer to this question : No. The good life is here at St. Luke's Hospital. People are not as nice anymore. I feel safe working here. I can put out an honest day work and I won't receive any harassment from my boss and co-workers.
Great Place to work. No Drama here....
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  6720 Bertner Ave. Houston Tx 77030May 5, 2016
I will never quit working here. Management crew is the best in Houston Texas! You have to be physically fit to work here b/c there's lots of deliveries to be made. It is an hospital for adults meaning there will be lots of IV fluids to be delivered in the pyxsis. The legs, feet, and back muscle must be at there best! Don't think you can take your sweet time. Fast Moving place. There will be days without lunch. That is just how the ball rolls. Best part is that you can put out an honest day work and you will not get harass from anyone....Pharmacy management team and pharmacy staff are all great to work with. Strictly all about business here. No B.S.
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Physical Rehabilitation)
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2016
¨ Participates in allocating personnel to daily schedules to maintain appropriate staffing for any given shift and Implemented effective delegations, prioritization and time management as Clinical Resource Nurse(CRN), Charge Nurse, during the night shifts.
great work culture
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse ( (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMay 3, 2016
Assists the unit with information analysis, reviewing and redesigning data forms and any part of the jobs that requires nursing information systems management. ¨critical lifesaving measures while working along with the covering team, medical consult and nursing leadership to determine the best clinical pathway to follow in their care.
People are family orient.
CERTIFIED REGISTERED CENTRAL STERILE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2016
Very nice place too work. I wish I would have stayed at St.Lukes. Always open for promoted within first. A place where you can go. Have several educating incentives for employees to advance
Pros
Payroll decution for lunches
Cons
have to pay too park
St. Lukes is a knowledge based facility...Quality and patient care first
Sr. Admitting Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2016
No typical Day

Management on point and by the book

worked well with others

System issues was the hardest part of my job

working with all patients
A Place Where Lives Are Changed
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2016
They have a very lovely volunteering program where I was given the opportunity to learn about many different facets of the medical related field.

I had gone into the program wanting to be a doctor in a hospital. While I was there, I had the opportunity to realize that being a doctor was not the right profession for me. I found that I don't actually like general hospital environments and that, while I did and still do want to help save lives, I don't actually like dealing with the patients.

So, in this way my experience with the volunteering program at St. Luke's closed the door on my inclination to be a doctor. However, where one door is shut, another is opened, and, through a seminar given by Hospital for it volunteers, it introduced me to the world of Biomedical Engineering, where I am much much happier.

So thank you St. Luke's! You've changed my life for the better.
productive and nice place I worked
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2016
very supportive co worker to work with. A typical day was very busy mostly with taking care of patients and documenting. The most important lesion is to treat each person as you will like to be treated, with love and care all the time. working together as a team always help a lot.

The management were not too supportive with our daily routine , maybe because themselves they had a lot in their plates.

The hardest part of my job was to see someone pass on due to illness that was preventable, and telling the family that they loved ones has gone.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to discharge patient knowing they know how to take care of themselves. Educating patient how to take care of themselves.
Pros
coworker helping each other and being supportive.
Cons
not being helped with management personel
Amazing Learning Experience
Patient Care Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2015
St Lukes has become an amazing, unforgettable part of my life, CHI took away a lot of things that created a more corporate feel with obvious feelings of distrust for their employees.
Pros
For now still great staff
Cons
Chi
performance
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2015
I come in greet my co-workers, we do rounds on the patients and get report. Pass meal trays out when they arrive. I assist patients with there daily needs and change there linens when they take a shower.
I learned how to put a catheter in a patient, and use they machine that tells you how much urine was in there bladder to make sure they urine wasn't backing up inside the patient. .Management was great. My co- workers were great. we always pull together as a team.
The hardest part about the job was watching the patient deter ate.
The enjoyable part was making a difference in the patients day.
Pros
we got bonus for doing a great job
Cons
Working 12 hour shifts
productive,fun,and teaching environment
unit secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston Tx. 77030September 4, 2015
Every day I learned something new. Whether it was from a patient, physician, or even a co-worker. The hardest part of my job was having one of our patients pass away. The why i say that is because our patients was like one of our own family members. The most enjoyable moment was when our patients was told that they was now in "REMISSION". And you see them walking around, doing things that they have not been able to do in months.
I am a case manager in the Emergency Room at CHI St. Luke's Medical Center where there's never a dull moment. Fast paced but an Excellent continued
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston Medical CenterAugust 23, 2015
but an Excellent continued learning opportunity. The job keeps me busy with not only adequate documentation requirements and status accuracy but with continued community resource referrals. I love the hype, I love the quieter days and I love my co-workers. The company was recently bought out by Catholic Health Initiatives and is going thru some administrative and staff changes. However, I believe in our leaders and trust them to turn the current situation around.
Pros
Great coworkers and benefits
Cons
I have to work every third weekend, evenings, and I would rather have a job where I come early and leave at a reasonable hour..
Patient Care Assistant II
Patient Care Assistant II (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Houston, XJuly 18, 2015
Enjoy working for this company. Management was very professional and provided an open door policy to its employees. Gained a lot of knowledge working in the Cardiovascular Recovery Room. Very rewarding Job.
St. Luke's
RN Credential Epic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston,TXJuly 13, 2015
Working for St. Luke's was a energetic job with multiple challenges. I enjoyed working with the transplant physician's to teach them to document on their patients using the electronic medical record, Epic. It was challenging to work around their schedules and to focus my teaching plans to their specific needs.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Sometimes required long hours
MEDICARE ACCOUNT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  MAINJuly 6, 2015
Great place to work, could not ask for a better place to work, great environment, learned a lot. I came in as a medicare secretary and worked my up to a medicare representative with the help of my fellow employees. We worked together as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3