St. Mary's Hospital Employee Reviews

Fast paced
EVS Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVOctober 15, 2017
Typical day at work was stressful. I learned how to clean and sanitize discharge rooms. Management was not the best during the week, but the weekend was great! Hardest part of the job, was the job within itself.
Very family like connection
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 10, 2017
Awesome place to learn especially as a new nurse. They are willing to help with any situation and willing to take their time with teaching you the steps to be a wonderful RN
Awesome
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 10, 2017
Newly remodeled cafeteria with variety of selection to choose from. Great manager and staff. Every year they have a retreat for employees to attended.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Staffing
learned a lot
PATIENT BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 9, 2017
I liked working here, there was room for advancement, however, the pay was not good...but it was a nonprofit after all. I left because I could receive better pay somewhere else and I never did get increase due to my being bilingual.
Pros
comfortable environment
Cons
pay
stressful co-workers' act like children
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYOctober 9, 2017
Loved the place it's self but some of the people that work there and have no management duty's, act like they do and management allows them to do so... Too stressful to deal with especially when u feel like ur home life is ur work life...
Extremely busy and at times unsafe.
Travel RN (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 5, 2017
A typical day at work was usually stressful. The majority of the staff were pleasant and helpful. The unit was poorly staffed most shifts which I found to be unsafe for both the patients and the staff.
Pros
Nice patients
Cons
Unsafe
hectic days, low salary, no benefit for working harder, no personal raise EVER, NO GROWTH.
nurse (Former Employee) –  waterbury, ctOctober 5, 2017
Regularly dislike this job and want to gain from having a 40 hour work week that consistently shows growth! Too much time here makes you lose grip on reality, constantly seeking an escape. Vacation isn't enough.
Pros
Might not be hospital wide... but it might be.
Cons
most things
Very catty environment.
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Hobart, INOctober 4, 2017
Extremely difficult to communicate with management. They ignore issues and don't want to improve the department or satisfaction of current employees. HR ignores how much their employees are mistreated so it will continue forever.
High stress employment; direct patient care
CLINICAL REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 2, 2017
Worked in a variety of fields; direct patient care. 8-10 hour days. Teamwork required for optimal patient outcomes.Management was always present as a resource. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the direct patient care and interaction with families and providers. I learned time management and critical thinking skills
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 2, 2017
Work in any hospital setting is very high Pace but wouldn't trade it for the world. I just wish they cared about the employees as much as the employees care about the patient. I like a challenging job and I am still capable of being a very productive person who is able to get the job done
Very poor unit manager
RN (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 28, 2017
Staff is under compensated and under appreciated. Administration and management don't care about the employee's. They care about the bottom line......MONEY! I do not know how they continue to get Magnet recognized and because they do that recognition means absolutely nothing to me. The nurse don't have a voice and most are not satisfied with their jobs and St. Mar's does not retain employee's.
ICU preceptorship
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 28, 2017
I appreciated that this was a locked unit and staff were well-protected and supported in their ability to provide high quality patient care. Life or death work going on there.
Extremely fast paced/Trial by Fire
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 28, 2017
Great place for new RN's to learn "trial by fire" style. Understaffed often and good luck getting that break. I would highly recommend all fresh grads to start here and get your experience in.
Pros
Good insurance and great staff
Cons
Non existant breaks some days/stressful with heavy patient load
Ok
Traveling Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 24, 2017
Staff were not very embracing of me as I was a travel nurse. I was given some of the most challenging patients as I was short term. I was floated to other units last minute. Dark, narrow hallways.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Old hospital/unfriendly staff
General administrative (Current Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 21, 2017
I love my job and co workers. It is a fast pace environment. You have to be able to multitask and handle situations always keeping a smile on your face and not getting frustrated. This is why I love my job because this is the part that challenges me to be better at my job
Pros
co workers
Cons
low pay
It needs more team work
Radiologist Technologist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85745September 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help others, that's your biggest reward, regardless of your normal day at work. Team work would really be a plus.
Pros
Able to work in different work settings
Cons
overworked for lack of staff
Fast-paced, great staff
Certified Nursing Assistant/Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 21, 2017
A typical day at work consists of vitals, showers and patients daily activites. I have learned to manage my time better, as well as prioritize tasks. Management could use a lot of work. Most days I am the only CNA being asked about how many showers I've been able to complete. I've also trained, and waited for positions to open, being told that since I've been employed for almost 2 years, I am one who gets first choice of shifts, instead of new hires. And my manager hired a 2 new people, for 2 shifts, or positions, I aimed for. Although management is tough, I absolutely love my co-workers. Most are very helpful and ready to jump when needed. They are fun to work with, hard workers, and make bad days seem better. I would say the hardest part of the job, is being the low man on the food chain. I don't feel as though my voice is heard when talking to all staff about issues, or even just for a different position. I feel as though if you're not an RN, you are easily forgotten about. Which makes it difficult when day shift doesn't bring you enough income to live, and night shift would .. but they don't listen to you when a position becomes available, and they hire someone brand new for that position. The most enjoyable part of my job, is getting to work with patients so closely, and building those quick, yet healing relationships. I would also say my co-workers make my job more enjoyable as well.
Pros
discounts, friendly staff
Cons
short breaks, fast paced environment, management isn't great
done
Patient Finance Associate (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYSeptember 21, 2017
very poor training from the start and was not given the tools to learn the jab correctly. constantly having to ask for help and management almost never has the available time to assist you. If you make an error you get severely reprimanded. Processing insurance payments ,balance accts. proration verification, allowancing and adjustments. Insurance verifications
Good environment
Food and Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 20, 2017
Friendly and safe environment, simple and easy tasks on daily basis, workload usually fits in full eight hour schedule/shifts. Great people and workers around
Friendly office staff
Nurse Practitioner, Internal Medicine (Current Employee) –  Passaic, NJSeptember 19, 2017
My work is in primary care in the outpatient setting. My background is in ER medicine as an ER nurse. The outpatient setting is challenging and I have Learned allot but I have always wanted to go back to the ER setting. The hardest part of my job is making all the patients happy while providing high quality primary care.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
seeing 8 patients an hour