St. Mary's Hospital Employee Reviews

Saint Mary's Grand Rapids, MI
Patient Access: Pre-Service Registration (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 4, 2016
Saint Mary's Mercy Health does not have enough opportunities for new college graduates. Management is constantly looking for experienced workers but never open up opportunities for individuals just entering the healthcare field. I believe there should be a healthy balance of newcomers and experienced workers. If you don't give new people the opportunity to enter the field, you could be missing out on some talented people who can ultimately further the success of the organization. Healthcare college students study for years learning, researching and establishing skills, we are not as inexperienced as some may think. But overall, the organization has a good culture and feel. The staff throughout the organization are sweet and caring people. It's a good organization to work for if you're a very experienced worker because you will get an appropriate salary.
Pros
good environment
Cons
low pay
A fun and productive workplace with good benefits
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 26, 2016
I am a certified nurse assistant, and I work as a unit clerk part time. A typical day could be we are very busy, the ER is full of patients, the phone lines are ringing, call lights ringing as well providing ADL'S for the patients. I love taking care of patients and their families. I have been in this field over thirty years. I have learned a lot as a clerk, from putting doctor orders in the system to faxing prescriptions to pharmacy. I get along with my co-workers we have some that aren't the friendliest but I keep a smile on my face, do my job and answer any questions they may have for me. I think there are good days and bad days in most jobs we have to know how to deal with it. Most enjoyable part of the job is good smooth day and everything going good and the boss comes in and order lunch for all the staff. Appreciating the hard work we do. And most of all getting a raise!!
Pros
Boss provide lunch for all the staff
Cons
May not get a break !!
Good for experience
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYSeptember 22, 2016
St. marys is great for some growth and experience, but not for a life time career. There is lack of recognition and compensation for those that work hard and strive to do the right thing. It has become a place where if you know the right people you move up and if you don't you will not get far. Staff can be under valued, benefits are not the greatest, short staffed is always a problem.
Great place to work and develop skills.
BSN, RN (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 22, 2016
Good culture and support from fellow nurses. Great place to begin a nursing career or to learn new skills. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the patient load. Management tries very hard to provide encouragement and to support staff. Medical benefits could be improved. Pay is fair.
Pros
Good work place culture.
Cons
Need more mentors.
Fast-paced tasks and actions, communicating with nurses/coworkers
Mary Brigh Food Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MN 55902August 10, 2016
St. Marys Hospital, food service requires clear communication and collaboration with nurses when dealing with approximately 300 patient food trays each day. Skills such as high attention to patient's diets and requirements are vital to the healing process and recovery. Administrative duties such as recording dietary requests, preparing various meals and tracking what floors and rooms trays are sent. I learned to manage new employees by training and demonstrating skills such as solving new problems that may arise and putting team work into action. My co-workers all work hard to accomplish our small and bigger goals. We have become a solid team, with positive attitudes, and are motivated, knowing we are serving others. The most difficult road blocks include the company change. Mayo Clinic food service will switch with Morrison soon. This means many employees will lose their benefits. Working at a hospital is exciting because of the excellent customer service that you can show to patients. It is rewarding to see condensed hard work pay off at the end of the work day.
Pros
Excellent pay, positive employees, fulfilling service for the patients
Cons
Job outsourcing
Great customer service to patients
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 4, 2016
Great care to all patients and family, need to appreciate and support employees more. Very clean environment. Does not acknowledge or praise for outstanding work and efforts
Pros
NO SUPPORT FOR EMPLOYEES IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITHIN DEPARTMENTS
Cons
CHAIN OF COMMAND HANDLES PROBLEMS POORLY
Have to be self motivated in order to move up the ladder
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDOctober 31, 2016
I have been a part of MedStar for 8 years and have gained a lot of experience and knowledge. Almost everyone I worked with were very teamwork oriented and friendly. The hardest part of the job is advancing with the correct amount of training in new positions, you will have to learn a lot on your own.
Pros
Benefits are great, flexible time off
Cons
no real training in new positions, have to be self motivated to move up
Opportunity to move within the company is great.
Operating Room Terminal Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 12, 2016
My nights normally go by fast I tend to keep myself busy with other work related things if my work is finished, better understanding of some medical words and use of different medical equipment, management very considerate, I get along with my co-workers, I would say the shift is the only hard part, But overall its an easy job that has really advanced my working skills.
Pros
access personal snacks for employees and ability to use our id card to pay if cash is unavailable.
Cons
parking
St. Mary's Hospital.
Assistant Director for Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Orange, NJNovember 16, 2016
Work hard for little pay.
I learned that no matter how hard you work you not be compensated fairly.
My coworkers were all scammers.

The hardest part of the job was clocking in.

The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving to get a better job.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad pay
Hospital that does wonders for children
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYFebruary 28, 2016
St. Mary's Hospital for Children has been around since the late 1800's. They have been doing all they can to help children who struggle with physical disabilities. Working at their home care office is very rewarding, but there is obvious disorganization that management does not have a grasp on. There is very little room for growth, and compensation is minimal. My co-workers are great, and I love helping the children. I am content with St. Mary's, but only as a short-term employer.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Short breaks
St. Mary's Hospital was such a great place to work!
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Centralia, ILNovember 21, 2016
I found this to be an excellent environment to provide nursing care. Management was fair and the nursing staff were highly skilled healthcare providers. The work environment was pleasant, and staff was open and friendly.
Pros
Self-staffing was a nice perk. Low stress working environment.
One of the best position experiences ever from a great staff
Radiology Registration/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOJuly 11, 2016
My position was radiology registration and scheduler. I handled multiple phone calls and request for files and appointments and whatever was asked of me. Its a busy place but great staff to work with. The staff was more than willing to teach me a lot about radiology and how things worked, like ultrasounds, nuclear medicine, etc.
Pros
Great staff and management
its a hospital
Chief Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  LaFollette, TNJune 2, 2016
i had the previlege of working there for 7 years. in that time i was promoted 3 times and my salary was raised by more than 50% from the time i was hired.
Nice place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant/Telemetry Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 12, 2016
Loved working at the hospital. The nursing staff is wonderful, Medical benefits are above and beyond any you can find at other places. Most managers are able to help with hours and time off needed.
All around great place.
Supervisor of Cardiology (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 25, 2016
I've been there 13 yrs and have seen employee appretiation every year. Lots of oportunity for promotions. Excellent health care from the staff.
Pros
Company lunch bbq. Holiday party, gift cards
Cons
Sometimes short staffed adds work to your days
Patient care associate
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 21, 2016
Being a patient care associate for st Mary's was a wonderful experience, everyone's very friendly and happy to come to work. Team environment and very helpful towards eachother
Pros
Compensation/balance
Cons
12 hours shifts only
Good Place to work
Mental Health Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYNovember 30, 2016
Very good place to work. They go out of their way to make your work day enjoyable with plenty of room for advancement. The staff there is wonderful.
Great exposure to high energy working environment.
Nutrient Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Passaic, NJApril 7, 2016
The preparation of patient meals are started with organizing patient proper meal plans according to their diets. Then the team would prepare each individual meals and deploy them to the patients. Teamwork is a must and ability to adapt to an environment was necessary in order for me to maintain the speed and quality of patient care. As a supervisor, I learned to be able to use each individual's strength to maximize the work output for the department. Knowing you were the person bringing the meals, it was a pleasure seeing the happy and satisfied patients in the hospital.
Pros
Great benefits and flexible schedule
Cons
Stressful at times but overcome with proper organized system
Productive and fun.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 7, 2016
Somedays were busier than others at work.Tight relationships with coworkers was really the best part of working here.The hardest part of the job was when we could use an extra set of hands when we were unexpectedly busy. The doctors were really great to stay at the hospital when their patient's hearttones weren't looking promising. I loved this hospital because it is small and everyone in the hospital knows each other.
Pros
Taking care of mom's and their babies and educating them on the care of their newborn.
Cons
Sometimes breaks didn't come til late in the shift.
Great Experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYSeptember 8, 2016
Plenty of opportunities for advancement, great incentives for participation, extremely supportive staff, flexibility in hours/shifts, ample vacation time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.