St. Mary's Hospital Employee Reviews

fun but tiring
Cook (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 8, 2017
loved working there...my first real job. had some great times there worked with some of the nicest people. miss it. only problem was they fire for made up stuff
Variety of job options and fun enviroment
Nutrition Services aide (Current Employee) –  200 Jefferson Ave SE, Grand Rapids MIJanuary 6, 2017
I look forward to going into work at St. Mary's Hospital. Every day I go into work coworkers and managers are welcoming and are concerned about your day. I enjoy my shift because of the variety of jobs I do. I begin my shift with transferring carts around the hospital. I enjoy walking to different floors within the hospital because it's motivating to get my degree as a SLP. After delivering the carts, I work in the kitchen. I prep food, clean the environment, properly place food on patient's trays, and help other employees. Lastly, I work in the call center. I enjoy working in the call room because I personal interact with the patients.
Working in nutrition service it have taught me how to work with a variety of personalities. Communication is extremely important and can affect relationships within the workforce. I learned how to work quickly, but properly get the work done. My job expects me not only to work quickly, but also be sharp minded. If I make a mistake, it is harmful for not only the staff within the cafeteria, but also the patients on the floor.
Working in the call center is not only the most enjoyable part of my job, but it can also be the most difficult. Everyday there is a new diet and a restriction for a patient. Everyday work day, I have to educate myself on new information, so I can properly explain to the patients.
Pros
benfits, wage, oppurtunities
Cons
hours
Great Place to work
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 2, 2017
St. Mary's is a great place to work the Coworkers are nice and very respectful an the pay is good. Very happy to work with a great company.
Cons
productive workplace with many opportunities to gain knowledge.
Critical Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MI 48601December 30, 2016
very inviting work atmosphere with very knowledgeable staff. tons of opportunity to grow and learn in many different fields of the medical industry.
challenging but well worth it
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 20, 2016
I enjoyed my job. I enjoyed educating and assisting/ informing new employees of health plans, payroll, and other info needed.

I worked with over various departments and various nationalities. Sometimes a bit challenging but all well worth it.
Environmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVDecember 19, 2016
St. Mary's is a great place to work in housekeeping for those who prefer a fast paced work environment. I learned a lot working here and enjoyed it very much.
Nice place to work
Patient Care Technician Preceptor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction that I have every day with my patients and their families. Making a scary visit to the hospital enjoyable is what makes me feel like I have done my best. I enjoy training and developing both new and current employees and ensuring that their onboarding experience is great.
The hardest and most challenging part of my job is the overnight hours and the impact it has on my family life. I am a very hard worker and very dependable and the hospital knows it can depend on me when help is needed.
I am hoping to find a job that I can incorporate both my Human Resources skills and my Patient Care skills and work for a company that encourages growth and pride in what you do.
Pros
Co Workers, Patient Interaction, Training and Developing others
Cons
Work hours (nights)
Job.
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Athens, GADecember 18, 2016
The hospital has an overall great message and standards.The CEO wants you to love your job and is willing to help you . He is very humble.
Pros
health care, dental, good experience for nursing students
Cons
short of help on weekends
Great staff
Emergency Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 16, 2016
I have been employee for over 10 years in the ER and I love it. I work the night shift and we work so well as a team and everyone pitches in. I feel we give great care here.
Not worth the safety concern
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTDecember 12, 2016
Served as an unarmed guard. The hospital has an open door policy and allows anyone in. We are unarmed and basically sitting ducks. On an almost daily basis was spit on, punched, kicked, exposed to blood or other bodily fluids. Did not feel comfortable working in this environment.
Great workplace and Great people.
HV/AC Maintenance Mechanic - Diagnosing (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 10, 2016
There really was no typical day at work.You never knew what you were going to run into when you got there. It could be a bursted pipe in the ceiling to routine maintenance on an ice machine.
Pros
Great Job Great people
Cons
Wasn't where I wanted to live.
Worked as interim Director for 6 months
Interim GM III Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 7, 2016
Good hospital to work at, I was only there for a short period of time so I did not have a chance to really gauge what was good or bad. I know that the leadership team worked collaboratively to come up with solutions to operational issues.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Hospital was in a transitional phase so things and leaders changing
Saint Mary's Grand Rapids, MI
Patient Access: Pre-Service Registration (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 4, 2016
Saint Mary's Mercy Health does not have enough opportunities for new college graduates. Management is constantly looking for experienced workers but never open up opportunities for individuals just entering the healthcare field. I believe there should be a healthy balance of newcomers and experienced workers. If you don't give new people the opportunity to enter the field, you could be missing out on some talented people who can ultimately further the success of the organization. Healthcare college students study for years learning, researching and establishing skills, we are not as inexperienced as some may think. But overall, the organization has a good culture and feel. The staff throughout the organization are sweet and caring people. It's a good organization to work for if you're a very experienced worker because you will get an appropriate salary.
Pros
good environment
Cons
low pay
Nice place to work. Co-workers were great!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Passaic, NJDecember 2, 2016
Mornings were much busier than evenings. Took a lot of phones calls from within the hospital and from outside. Made several pages overhead per day to doctors and other hospital staff. Was also responsible for releasing deceased patients to funeral directors upon their arrival. Made all hospital announcements and assisted with basic patient informations, such as if the patient has been discharged from hospital care.
Pros
small setting/office, away from the rest of the hospital departments.
Cons
a little scary at night because of the isolation from the rest of the hospital.
Good
Housekeeper/Laundry (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 1, 2016
I really enjoy my job, and the people I work with. I like how busy it keeps me, making the day go by faster. I love the connection I make with patients when I go in to clean, and the conversations we have. It really is more than just being a housekeeper, we care too!
Good Place to work
Mental Health Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYNovember 30, 2016
Very good place to work. They go out of their way to make your work day enjoyable with plenty of room for advancement. The staff there is wonderful.
Dietary aid
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PANovember 29, 2016
This job required you to deliver trays to patients all over the hospital. This is a great way to get your foot in the door and the pay is pretty good .
Pros
great job
Cons
very strict on hours
Volunteer
Transport Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 29, 2016
Transport of patients throughout the hospital and for discharge. Kept record of patient transport files, coordinated with other health professional, and provided proper oxygen tank maintenance.
St. Mary's Hospital was such a great place to work!
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Centralia, ILNovember 21, 2016
I found this to be an excellent environment to provide nursing care. Management was fair and the nursing staff were highly skilled healthcare providers. The work environment was pleasant, and staff was open and friendly.
Pros
Self-staffing was a nice perk. Low stress working environment.
St. Mary's Hospital.
Assistant Director for Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Orange, NJNovember 16, 2016
Work hard for little pay.
I learned that no matter how hard you work you not be compensated fairly.
My coworkers were all scammers.

The hardest part of the job was clocking in.

The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving to get a better job.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval