St. Mary's Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

The best place for new nursing staff to be employed.
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Centralia, ILOctober 22, 2015
I loved being employed for St.Mary's. It's so much to do, as well as so many new techniques to learn. The environment is amazing, and they even assist with furthering an employees education....
Pros
There's an opportunity to gain as much overtime as needed.
Cons
None.
Inter resting place to work
Advanced Rehabilitation Center (ARC) - RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 19, 2015
Exposed to geriatrics and rehab patients .The most enjoyable part of the job helping patients to get well enough to be able to go home and take care of themselves.Hardest part was working short staff.
Pros
Seeing the patients get better and be able to go home
Cons
Working short staff.
Extreme jobplace bullying allowed
Full time Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 7, 2012
Stated values and work ethic, look and read well, but not truely achieved An excellent work ethic starts at the top. Unfortunately, for patients, and staff alike, this lack of practice from the DON, trickles down to certain nurse and clinical managers and prevents solutions to very unsafe and unethical problems. Favoritism appears to blind higher ups from reality. Those in charge who do see and present solutions, are bullied into submission. I observed this practice on every unit in which I worked and floated onto. Politics? Indeed.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
nurse-patient ratios not based on acuity, frequent scheduled short staffing, mandatory call, required floating onto other units, without proper training, limited support staff
There was poor management
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 15, 2015
St. Mary's is an okay place to work. Management was a big issue. Management was very poor, it was all over the place. Ideal to get treated but not to work.
A Typical Day at Work
Intensive Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMarch 4, 2015
I accepted a position as an ICU nurse directly out of nursing school. The environment was fast-paced and exciting. The benefits of starting out as an ICU nurse included honing all of the knowledge and skills that I had just learned in nursing school. Everyday was a different experience. The nurses were fast, efficient, and knowledgable. Even the most seasoned nurses were learning everyday. I learned not only how to be a competent nurse, but that nursing includes psychology, personality, understanding, and empathy. Being an ICU nurse has provided the skills, knowledge, competency, and confidence to work in any nursing position. For that, I am grateful,
Pros
many experiences, flexible work weeks, knowledgable staff.
Cons
short-staffed, limited education, travel distance.
Maple Leaf Day care
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYNovember 17, 2015
This place was one of my most cherished work homes. They are so welcoming and understanding. The work environment is wonderful and ran in such a smooth way.
St. Mary's hospital a excellent place to work!
Registered Nurse Birth Suites (Former Employee) –  700 S PARK STREET MADISON. IN THE BIRTH SUITESJanuary 28, 2014
I work in the birth suites at st mary's hospital.I very much enjoy helping women in labor and delivering their babies. I do admissions monitoring of mother and baby, start iv's, maintain picc lines, computer charting. Surgical recoveries. Giving medication when need, antiboiotics, pain medicine, oxytocin to help induce labor. Magnesium sulfate for preclamptic patients. Labatalol for hypertension.
St. Mary's is a wonderful place to work. I have very much enjoyed my years there. I want to retire in april when I have 30 years of service in. I want to find a nursing position closer to my home, I currently drive an hour an a half to work. I am ready for a change in my nursing career.
Pros
excellent benefits and salary
Cons
long drive for me.
The best job I ever had.
Coffee Shop Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsJune 25, 2015
I loved working at St. Mary's and I really got along well with the customers. The hours were great and I really enjoyed my co-workers. They became good friends. I enjoyed the work and how they were open to new ideas it was great!
Pros
Great customers
Cons
No room for real advancement.
Busy Day taking care of critcial patients
Patient Care Tech II/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 30, 2014
Taking care of our patients not only included the personal bathing, meds, and individual care but as a secretary I called consults for the MDs as well as answer phones. put in orders for the doctors as well. certified to watch heart monitors and measure arrhythmias. I also faxed information to other hospitals or where ever needed so. I was responsible for our tracking board, phones, computer work , and hear monitors as well as answering call lights. Helping the RNS with patient care was very important as well.
Pros
relationships with patients and their familes. and learning somthing new everyday
Cons
no raises for anyone in the hospital
Great Experience
Occupational Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 31, 2015
Client centered, team oriented and play just as hard as they work. Great learning environment. Great opportunity for anyone considering mental health in a hospital as an occupational therapist.
wonderful company
Unit secretary (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 13, 2014
I worked here for 9 plus years, this is a company that believes in advancement.I started as a Cna and after only being ther for 2 months was asked to train as a unit secretary, also trained as a unit assist , and then trained as a telemetry watcher,this is an excellent company to work for if you want to enhance your skills.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work/life balance
Lead Security Guard/Head Boiler Operator (Current Employee) –  Streator, ILSeptember 23, 2015
Typical day at Saint Mary's in streator illinois is never typical. I go from being able to do paperwork to having to be in the ED department dealing with rowdy patients or helping with moving patients. In between doing that I also keep the boiler system running and do all chemical tests on it and keep documkents and records.
Fastpace atmosphere.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTNovember 9, 2015
Great workplace with a lot of support in every aspect. Direct interaction with patients. Able to connect with patients and gain patient trust.
Director/Manager unavailable
Emergency Room RN (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXMay 8, 2012
I worked for Christus St Mary in Port Arthur, Texas since December 4, 1995. I was terminated without hesitation due to family and health issues. I was not treated with dignity and respect by the ER
Director/manager or Chief Nursing Officer whom I've known my total career or 16 years. My co-workers are like family and we helped each other through the good and bad times, just ask them about my work ethics. I worked 12 hour shifts form 7pm to 7am, it was always busy, most of the time hectic at the beginning of the shift. No support from Management as far as adequate staffing or needs of
equipment and supplies. When concerns or issues were voiced they were "sweeped under the rug" therefore we were left to one another to make things work as safely as possible for our patients and I PRAYED alot mostly to myself. Me and my co-workers got the job done together with teamwork and support from each other.
Pros
my family of co-workers, team work & great friends
Cons
no breaks, lack of leadership, no crisis intervention
A Company who's mantra is matched by their work ethic
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  56 Franklin Street Waterbury CTSeptember 29, 2015
Exceptional Care for Every Patient Everyday. Not just rhetoric at St. Mary's but an objective for all. For the size of the company it is a joy to see that it is still a family and community based business that is dedicated equally to the community and to its employees.
Serious hospital for serious health care providers
RN (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 26, 2013
My nursing career began at this hospital. The staff were supportive and compassionate to a new graduate RN. I learned to be efficient with assessments and with the administration of medications. The RN to patient ratio was typically 6:1. Management provided frequent competency and educational classes. The hardest part of the job was realizing you had not received an adequate report from the previous shift and responding in a professional manner. The most enjoyable was providing care and education that supported the patient in a knowledgeable and healthy recovery.
Pros
state of the art facility
Love this facility
In-Patient Coder (Former Employee) –  Passaic, NJJune 2, 2015
If not for personal reasons that caused me to relocate out of state I would still be with this hospital.
Loyal to employees, always wanted everyone to advance and learn as much as they could,
Comfortable work environment, very professional management on all levels.
Not too bad
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJuly 30, 2015
The hospital itself is a decent place to work. The management and environment varies depending on the department you work in.
Teaching Hospital with an excellent patient-centured focus.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 4, 2015
St. Mary's Hospital is an inspiring medical facility to be a part of. Among other things, St Mary's has taught me the importance of team work, time management skills, how to be the patient's advocate, and how to exercise critical thinking skills under large amounts of pressure.
A productive work place with alot of opportunities
FINANCIAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 9, 2015
Work with clients and insurance companies with billing and co-pay questions, answere multi-telephone system, filing, printing faxing, and mailing of bills.
Pros
ONE HOUR BRAKES AND CAFETERIAS
Cons
NONE

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.