St. Marys Medical Center

St. Marys Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

A quiet workplace
E.R. and Outpatient Coder (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 28, 2015
I would normally come in early in the morning. Start my computer get everything ready and begin my data entry. I would have a 90 min break in between my 8 hour shift then back to working on the computer.
I learned to be precise and fast in the workplace.

The management was a pleasure to have.

It was a quiet workplace but the co-workers where a pleasure to talk to.

The hardest part was making the deadlines for difficult paperwork

The most enjoyable part of the job is when all the paperwork is finished.
Experience For Life
Critical Care Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 13, 2015
I enjoyed what I learned from working at this hospital. I learned about open heart surgeries and how to care for the patients afterwards, critical thinking skills and assessment of critically ills patients, and pediatrics. I would not however recommend friends to work for such as hospital due to the fact that they have a poor admin staff. When you ask for help theres no one there to help you. When you go to your director, they are not willing to listen nor help if there is a problem with a supervisor. I was yelled at several times in front of patients, other staff, and family members by a supervisor, and the director refused to do anything about it. So I would not recommend anyone to go to work here.
Pros
experience in higher level of care
Cons
poor staff and management
Busy environment
Year-Round Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJanuary 6, 2016
I volunteered at my local hospital for about two years. My responsibilities included:

Survey calling for the MRI department

Calling to check-in on patients after their visits

Calling to remind patients of their upcoming appointments

Organizing the call lists and filing them properly

Reporting to my supervisor
Pros
telephone skills and learning how to deal with several types of people
Cons
aiding angry patients
Fast paced tight knit workplace, no downtime at all.
My RN (Former Employee) –  St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach CaliforniaMarch 12, 2015
This was a fun fast paced place to hone skills with organization, communication, and responding quickly to patient needs. I learned to be an effective communicator, juggling patient tests, treatments, medications and care plans. The hardest part of the job was the lack of time to really spend with the patients, all of our documentation was still paper. The most enjoyable part of my job was caring for all of the patients, no matter how sick they were. I also loved student nurses, and new grad training.
Pros
best benefits, good co-workers, great feedback when necessary. plenty of opportunity to teach.
Cons
no opportunity for advancement, one break in am (15 minutes) one 30 minute lunch. no afternoon break, sometimes assignments were staffed heavy.
Many opportunities to grow
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 13, 2015
I enjoyed my working experience here. I had the opportunity to often interact with entire family while giving care to the patient.
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits; Dedicated Co-workers
Cons
Mandatory Call time
Family oriented where you learn something new everyday
Unit Secretary/CNA (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 13, 2015
Starting out with sweet good-mornings from the team. We then go on to out morning Safety Meeting. This is to go over any safety concerns of the day before, or any new ideas we may have. Checking voice-mails and returning calls and answering phone calls last through-out the day. Some calls are tougher than others to handle. Then some call are enjoyable, when you can help out someone in need. And that is when you love you job the most!
Pros
Helping patients and families in need.
Cons
When you can't satisfy anyone.
Organized well rounded RN
Charge RN (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAOctober 11, 2015
I am a well rounded experienced RN who is very organized and able to multi task. The most rewarding part of my job is caring for a patient who is frightened with their hospital stay and through education, emotional and hands on care I am able to provide a positive experience for those I care for.
A very interesting diverse place to work. Always on the go.
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 13, 2015
St. Marys Medical Center is a great experience especially all the trauma calls. Management and co-workers are wonderful to work with. Management always wanted to hear our input on making things better. I am proud to be part of the St Marys Medical Center Team.
Pros
Free movie tickets for working some overtime. Special catered dinner for 5+ years of service.
Cons
There are no cons. Im happy with that!
Poor pay
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portage, IndianaApril 21, 2015
Poor pay for anyone other than a RN. Very strict on the point system, will get docked even if 30 seconds late! Management doesn't understand that you have a life at home as well and things happen. The company spends money on non-irrelevant things, when they should be paying their employees better. Everyone feels disposable. There are some good perks, but with the poor pay, it doesn't balance out.
Pros
Employee health fair
Cons
Not good PTO accumulation, pay
I have been here too long I guess
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMay 18, 2015
The problem with SMMC is that management keeps changing and we really dont have a family there at work anymore. We used to. I love most things about working here but always feel like i am walking on eggshells. At any minute someone is waiting to fire you. So that they may hire someone whom they would paylots less. Its all about numbers. its sad!
Patient Care Coordinator, Administration (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 15, 2015
I have worked at St. Mary's for 35 years. It is a good place to work. Excellent benefits, family oriented, faith based hospital.
Great place to work with many friendly employees
operational assistant in social services (Current Employee) –  Hobart, INJune 16, 2015
I work as an operational assistant. I put together "packages" on various patients who need some help or rehab after discharge.
I fax the packages to various nursing homes which are dependent on each patient. I follow up with the nursing homes to make sure they received the package and log any response. I can make transportation reservations for patients through ambulances for a example. I answer the phones and help with getting needed answers.
Pros
Good fellow employees, interesting work
Cons
I would rather work at a position where I had more interaction with patients and families
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COOctober 7, 2015
I enjoy working in fast pace settings.I got to use a variety of my skills every day. I enjoy helping others and in a typical day you get to do just that.
Fun environment
Cardiovascular Technician (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 23, 2015
Great place, great people to work with. Busy environment day goes by really fast. staff made me feel like at home. Staff is willing to train and explain procedures.
Pros
very organized environment
Cons
cafeteria need more varied menu
Employees are great - great benefits. Very slow on hiring people once people leave. This leaves us short staffed to complete follow up needed.
Customer Service Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PASeptember 27, 2015
As the department's supervisor, I begin most days by coming in to the office early to make sure everything is ready for our customer service agents to start their day. This includes any work challenges from the previous week or any company e-mail updates that impact our department. I also review our staff schedule to check for any changes. I respond to any messages in our customer service system, and walk the Manager through any concerns I have. The majority of my duties include assisting patients on the phone and help address any issues. I work with patients to find solutions to their billing concerns and provide education when it comes to their health insurance policy and how it works with services they are seeking from our hospital. This pattern is similar most days of the week; however, one day a week, I lead a staff training on a variety of topics, ranging from effective communication with patients to new healthcare protocols. I enjoy providing this communication weekly to my staff as it is a way to improve my leadership and presentation skills. I realize that it is hard work to be at the top of your game everyday, but is is also rewarding when you see people benefit from the information you provided to produce a positive outcome not only for the customer but for the employee as well.
Pros
Free Coffee - nice employees - team atmosphere amoung colleagues
Cons
Managers don't have time to mentor
Great staff and experiences
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  LnaghorneMay 9, 2015
This was a great hospital to work at. The staff and management were extremely pleasant and easy to work with. I got some great experience working in a hospital setting here.
Pros
Competent and friendly staff
Cons
I enjoyed working at St. Mary's.
RN (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 31, 2015
St. Mary's was a small group that worked well together. Diverse patient population that made for a variety of needs. It's been 18 year's since I worked at St. Mary's and I still have many fond memories.
Great teamwork and surgeons
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAFebruary 27, 2014
A hardworking and productive unit. Great group of people to work with and for. Management is great and listens to the needs of staff. The teamwork here is incredible. The call schedule is very manageable and by far the lightest I have experienced in my career.
Pros
people
Cons
sometimes the work schedule is hectic but as the director says "volume is our friend
Great work experience
HIM Assem/prep/scanner/filling rep (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAOctober 16, 2014
Very low short staffed department. Typical day at work check emails, print discharged patient logs, went to all departments in Hospital to pick up discharges to be prep, scanned,filed in the electronic medical system so that billing would follow. Assembling discharged patient records according to the current universal chart order list. I perform
record retrieval from floors ,warehouse, and off site storages for copy services, subpoenas for law
firms and all other ROI requester's so that the Patient Information Specialist can process records. I
perform reconciliation activities of charts received and/or processed, which includes checking out
charts and/or printing for various floors. Responsible for medical record prepping ,scanning, indexing
and filing. In which I scan into a electronic imaging system called Chart-maxx. I also use Meditech ,
excel and word. I also Assist with other general office duties as needed.
Pros
great work hours 6:00am-2:30pm, insurance benefits were a plus.
Cons
low staff
Patient Access Financial Services Rep
Patient Access/Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJuly 20, 2013
I loved working at St. Mary Medical Center. The people who I worked with were great, the management was amazing, and core values, benefits and pay were also great. I loved this job and didn't want to leave when I had to move after college.
Pros
close to home, great pay, great benefits
Cons
working in the er was intense, but still good

4.2