St. Marys Medical Center

St. Marys Medical Center Employee Reviews

Busy environment
Year-Round Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJanuary 6, 2016
I volunteered at my local hospital for about two years. My responsibilities included:

Survey calling for the MRI department

Calling to check-in on patients after their visits

Calling to remind patients of their upcoming appointments

Organizing the call lists and filing them properly

Reporting to my supervisor
Pros
telephone skills and learning how to deal with several types of people
Cons
aiding angry patients
Organized well rounded RN
Charge RN (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAOctober 11, 2015
I am a well rounded experienced RN who is very organized and able to multi task. The most rewarding part of my job is caring for a patient who is frightened with their hospital stay and through education, emotional and hands on care I am able to provide a positive experience for those I care for.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COOctober 7, 2015
I ENJOY WORKING IN FAST PACE SETTINGS.I GOT TO USE A VARIETY OF MY SKILLS EVERY DAY. I ENJOY HELPING OTHERS AND IN A TYPICAL DAY YOU GET TO DO JUST THAT.
A quiet workplace
E.R. and Outpatient Coder (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 28, 2015
I would normally come in early in the morning. Start my computer get everything ready and begin my data entry. I would have a 90 min break in between my 8 hour shift then back to working on the computer.
I learned to be precise and fast in the workplace.

The management was a pleasure to have.

It was a quiet workplace but the co-workers where a pleasure to talk to.

The hardest part was making the deadlines for difficult paperwork

The most enjoyable part of the job is when all the paperwork is finished.
Employees are great - great benefits. Very slow on hiring people once people leave. This leaves us short staffed to complete follow up needed.
Customer Service Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PASeptember 27, 2015
As the department's supervisor, I begin most days by coming in to the office early to make sure everything is ready for our customer service agents to start their day. This includes any work challenges from the previous week or any company e-mail updates that impact our department. I also review our staff schedule to check for any changes. I respond to any messages in our customer service system, and walk the Manager through any concerns I have. The majority of my duties include assisting patients on the phone and help address any issues. I work with patients to find solutions to their billing concerns and provide education when it comes to their health insurance policy and how it works with services they are seeking from our hospital. This pattern is similar most days of the week; however, one day a week, I lead a staff training on a variety of topics, ranging from effective communication with patients to new healthcare protocols. I enjoy providing this communication weekly to my staff as it is a way to improve my leadership and presentation skills. I realize that it is hard work to be at the top of your game everyday, but is is also rewarding when you see people benefit from the information you provided to produce a positive outcome not only for the customer but for the employee as well.
Pros
Free Coffee - nice employees - team atmosphere amoung colleagues
Cons
Managers don't have time to mentor
Many opportunities to grow
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 13, 2015
I enjoyed my working experience here. I had the opportunity to often interact with entire family while giving care to the patient.
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits; Dedicated Co-workers
Cons
Mandatory Call time
Family oriented where you learn something new everyday
Unit Secretary/CNA (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 13, 2015
Starting out with sweet good-mornings from the team. We then go on to out morning Safety Meeting. This is to go over any safety concerns of the day before, or any new ideas we may have. Checking voice-mails and returning calls and answering phone calls last through-out the day. Some calls are tougher than others to handle. Then some call are enjoyable, when you can help out someone in need. And that is when you love you job the most!
Pros
Helping patients and families in need.
Cons
When you can't satisfy anyone.
I enjoyed working at St. Mary's.
RN (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 31, 2015
St. Mary's was a small group that worked well together. Diverse patient population that made for a variety of needs. It's been 18 year's since I worked at St. Mary's and I still have many fond memories.
Fun environment
Cardiovascular Technician (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 23, 2015
Great place, great people to work with. Busy environment day goes by really fast. staff made me feel like at home. Staff is willing to train and explain procedures.
Pros
very organized environment
Cons
cafeteria need more varied menu
Experience For Life
Critical Care Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 13, 2015
I enjoyed what I learned from working at this hospital. I learned about open heart surgeries and how to care for the patients afterwards, critical thinking skills and assessment of critically ills patients, and pediatrics. I would not however recommend friends to work for such as hospital due to the fact that they have a poor admin staff. When you ask for help theres no one there to help you. When you go to your director, they are not willing to listen nor help if there is a problem with a supervisor. I was yelled at several times in front of patients, other staff, and family members by a supervisor, and the director refused to do anything about it. So I would not recommend anyone to go to work here.
Pros
experience in higher level of care
Cons
poor staff and management

Want to know more about St. Marys Medical Center?

Ask a question
Great place to work with many friendly employees
operational assistant in social services (Current Employee) –  Hobart, INJune 16, 2015
I work as an operational assistant. I put together "packages" on various patients who need some help or rehab after discharge.
I fax the packages to various nursing homes which are dependent on each patient. I follow up with the nursing homes to make sure they received the package and log any response. I can make transportation reservations for patients through ambulances for a example. I answer the phones and help with getting needed answers.
Pros
Good fellow employees, interesting work
Cons
I would rather work at a position where I had more interaction with patients and families
Patient Care Coordinator, Administration (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 15, 2015
I have worked at St. Mary's for 35 years. It is a good place to work. Excellent benefits, family oriented, faith based hospital.
Rewarding experience
Lead Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 13, 2015
My internship with St. Mary Medical Center was one of the best experiences. I learned so much by working directly with director of the department I was in. The most enjoyable part of my internship were the professional relationships I built while I was there.
I have been here too long I guess
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMay 18, 2015
The problem with SMMC is that management keeps changing and we really dont have a family there at work anymore. We used to. I love most things about working here but always feel like i am walking on eggshells. At any minute someone is waiting to fire you. So that they may hire someone whom they would paylots less. Its all about numbers. its sad!
A very interesting diverse place to work. Always on the go.
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 13, 2015
St. Marys Medical Center is a great experience especially all the trauma calls. Management and co-workers are wonderful to work with. Management always wanted to hear our input on making things better. I am proud to be part of the St Marys Medical Center Team.
Pros
Free movie tickets for working some overtime. Special catered dinner for 5+ years of service.
Cons
There are no cons. Im happy with that!
Great staff and experiences
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  LnaghorneMay 9, 2015
This was a great hospital to work at. The staff and management were extremely pleasant and easy to work with. I got some great experience working in a hospital setting here.
Pros
Competent and friendly staff
Poor pay
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portage, IndianaApril 21, 2015
Poor pay for anyone other than a RN. Very strict on the point system, will get docked even if 30 seconds late! Management doesn't understand that you have a life at home as well and things happen. The company spends money on non-irrelevant things, when they should be paying their employees better. Everyone feels disposable. There are some good perks, but with the poor pay, it doesn't balance out.
Pros
Employee health fair
Cons
Not good PTO accumulation, pay
Great agency to build a solid skills base
MSW Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 14, 2015
This is an acute hospital that serves the vast population in the city of Long Beach and surrounding areas. A typical day for a social worker begins in the participation of interdisciplinary meetings to identify possible patients that would need a consult. Additionally, referrals are made to social workers.
Fun and Fast Pace Great opportunities
Commercial Biller I / Correspondence Clerk (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMarch 26, 2015
This is the Place where I was given the most grace and all my experience was obtained here. I am extremely grateful for all that was watered in me. I grew here the most and everyone was friendly.
Productive fast paced work environment
C.T. Tech Aide (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 25, 2015
I really enjoy working for St. Mary's in the radiology department. It is very fast paced and the day goes quick. Co-workers are great and make it easy to work through a shift.

4.2