St. Marys Medical Center Employee Reviews

Poor pay
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portage, IndianaApril 21, 2015
Poor pay for anyone other than a RN. Very strict on the point system, will get docked even if 30 seconds late! Management doesn't understand that you have a life at home as well and things happen. The company spends money on non-irrelevant things, when they should be paying their employees better. Everyone feels disposable. There are some good perks, but with the poor pay, it doesn't balance out.
Pros
Employee health fair
Cons
Not good PTO accumulation, pay
Great agency to build a solid skills base
MSW Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 14, 2015
This is an acute hospital that serves the vast population in the city of Long Beach and surrounding areas. A typical day for a social worker begins in the participation of interdisciplinary meetings to identify possible patients that would need a consult. Additionally, referrals are made to social workers.
Fun and Fast Pace Great opportunities
Commercial Biller I / Correspondence Clerk (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMarch 26, 2015
This is the Place where I was given the most grace and all my experience was obtained here. I am extremely grateful for all that was watered in me. I grew here the most and everyone was friendly.
Productive fast paced work environment
C.T. Tech Aide (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 25, 2015
I really enjoy working for St. Mary's in the radiology department. It is very fast paced and the day goes quick. Co-workers are great and make it easy to work through a shift.
Fast paced tight knit workplace, no downtime at all.
My RN (Former Employee) –  St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach CaliforniaMarch 12, 2015
This was a fun fast paced place to hone skills with organization, communication, and responding quickly to patient needs. I learned to be an effective communicator, juggling patient tests, treatments, medications and care plans. The hardest part of the job was the lack of time to really spend with the patients, all of our documentation was still paper. The most enjoyable part of my job was caring for all of the patients, no matter how sick they were. I also loved student nurses, and new grad training.
Pros
best benefits, good co-workers, great feedback when necessary. plenty of opportunity to teach.
Cons
no opportunity for advancement, one break in am (15 minutes) one 30 minute lunch. no afternoon break, sometimes assignments were staffed heavy.
Fair employer
Phlebotomist/Central Specimen Receiving Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 11, 2015
Can get very busy. Often understaffed. Got along great with co-workers and management. leaned a great deal about leadership and medical billing.
Caring Staff
Patient Access Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 24, 2015
Everyone including the sisters cares about the patients. Many employees have worked there for their entire career.
Very caring hospital
Managed Care Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAJanuary 9, 2015
This is where I really learned about caring for others. This is where I learned to care most about others. I learned a lot about the systems of the other hospitals that would call in for claims inquiries
Pros
caring people that were employed there
Cons
benefits werent' that great
Great Hands on Experience
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 4, 2015
Really enjoyed working with patients and giving them the care that they need. Hardest part of the job was keeping up the pace, making sure every patient was seen on time.
Pros
lunches
St Mary Medical Center
Information Assistant, Department of Public Safety (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CaDecember 9, 2014
I've enjoyed working at St. Mary Medical Center. I've learned medical procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with the patients.
Pros
flexible, pay compensation, transfer
Cons
n/a
Great Organization
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Hobart, INOctober 23, 2014
St. Mary is a great organization to be a part of. I have a learned a great about healthcare and found the staff and management to genuinely show care and compassion for both patients and staff.
For the sutdent
UNIT CLERK/MONITOR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAOctober 23, 2014
They had great oppotunity and support for students going through the nursing program
productive and fun work place
sterile processing tech (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAOctober 19, 2014
I am a hard worker, Im all about patient care and working as a team
Pros
great team work
Cons
i do not want to work the night shift anymore
Great work experience
HIM Assem/prep/scanner/filling rep (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAOctober 16, 2014
Very low short staffed department. Typical day at work check emails, print discharged patient logs, went to all departments in Hospital to pick up discharges to be prep, scanned,filed in the electronic medical system so that billing would follow. Assembling discharged patient records according to the current universal chart order list. I perform
record retrieval from floors ,warehouse, and off site storages for copy services, subpoenas for law
firms and all other ROI requester's so that the Patient Information Specialist can process records. I
perform reconciliation activities of charts received and/or processed, which includes checking out
charts and/or printing for various floors. Responsible for medical record prepping ,scanning, indexing
and filing. In which I scan into a electronic imaging system called Chart-maxx. I also use Meditech ,
excel and word. I also Assist with other general office duties as needed.
Pros
great work hours 6:00am-2:30pm, insurance benefits were a plus.
Cons
low staff
Great people to work with
Certified Nursing AssistantMed Surg Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 15, 2014
Great healthcare, benefits and pay. Coworkers were always willing to help in anyway to achieve the success for each patient.
Great workplace nice people
Histology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAOctober 13, 2014
First i would pick all the specimens up from OR. And than i would bring all the tissues back to the morgue and set up for the pathologist to gross the tissue. Maybe two or three frozen sections threw out the day. Cytology work at the same time. Pretty much non stop pleural fluid or FNA. Alot of POC and morgue work to deal with like helping put bodies into the fridge. Than at the end put all specimens in the hazmat shed and dump all the chemical waste in the 50 gallon drum. Bring all specimen cut too the tissue processor. And clock out.
Pros
early lunch
Cons
whenever dr. eats i eat
a normal day.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PASeptember 22, 2014
typical day is 12 hours of nonstop work. 20 patients per cna. I am in the room for everything from stitches to wound care. I find that this is the only way I will learn anything. I have no fear when it comes for learning something new. I work with amazing people whom I would call me family. The hardest part of the job is being everywhere at once. If it wasn't for the wonderful team we have nothing would get done properly. As caregivers our first priority is to safety and satisfaction but really it is to make everyone of them feel safe in a strange and new environment.
Excellent opportunity to experience diversity
Pre-admission testing patient services clerk (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PASeptember 8, 2014
Enjoyed working with many facets of patient care from greeting patients to working with OR employees.

Every day meeting new faces and making new friends.
OR INSTRUMENT TECH (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 21, 2014
This is a very good place to work.
Friendly and family oriented.
This is a trauma center and runs big cases like, open heart, neuro, and bariatrics.
Ccu
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAAugust 1, 2014
Caring for critically ill cardiac patients
I learnt about ventilators, intubations, tracheotomy care, central lines, and monitoring critically ill patients.
Did not meet upper management, unit management was ok.
Co workers worked as a great team.
Caring for terminally ill and critically ill patients and their family members.
When patients recovered and were able to be transferred out of the ICU.
Pros
free parking
Cons
heavy work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Marys Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.