St. Paul’s Episcopal School is an independent co-educational K-8 school that was founded in the belief that the ideal academic environment combines strong curriculum and teaching, diversity of thought and culture, and service to others. A St. Paul’s education prepares students to succeed academically at the most competitive high schools and to thrive socially in an increasingly diverse world. St. Paul’s School is recognized as a national model in Service Learning. Caring, committed faculty members, in partnership with parents, serve as role models, mentors, and guides. St. Paul’s has an academically talented and ethnically diverse student body and seeks the same in its faculty.
St. Paul’s Episcopal School of Oakland, California, has an immediate opening for a dynamic, team-oriented individual to advance the work of this leading Bay Area independent school through the creation and use of a wide variety of communication tools.
The Communications Manager works to strengthen awareness and understanding of St. Paul’s School’s distinctive programs and community among school-wide constituencies and to a public audience. She/he oversees all aspects of the School’s strategic communications efforts—including website, print publications, advertisements, grant proposals and reports, speeches, letters from the Head of School, and social media.
- Maintain message guidelines consistent with the St. Paul’s School mission and vision
- Manage the content of school website
- Proactively seek out, report, and write news and features about life at the School that reflect the strength of the School program for the website and other publications, including brochures and the school magazine
- Take photographs and videos and post them to the website
- Write grant proposals and reports
- Collaborate with the Head of School on speeches and letters, and collaborate with the administrators and faculty as needed
- Proof all print and electronic communications to ensure accuracy and consistency with message
- Post to the School Facebook page and Twitter account
- Write and create a weekly electronic newsletter for the School community.
This is an exciting opportunity to help strategically position St. Paul’s School in the Bay Area and nationally. The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development.
The Communications Manager position requires the desire and ability to work in a range of roles, from advisory to tactical. Successful candidates will have a passion for hands-on creation of communication pieces that use a variety of media. Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- B.A. degree. Journalism background a plus.
- Minimum five years’ experience in communications and/or marketing; experience in communications/marketing for educational institutions preferred.
- Proven hands-on skills in writing, editing, web management, and on-line newsletters.
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow for effective relationships with faculty, administrators, colleagues, alumni, parents, and students.
- Advanced skill level: Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, website management, social media management.
- Ability to write fluently in a variety of formats, including magazine features, grant applications, press releases, letters, speeches, brochures, and websites. Candidates will be asked to supply writing samples.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to articulate the mission, vision, and priorities of St. Paul’s School in a compelling way.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and think strategically.
- Excellent judgment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; attention to detail; ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Must be independent, strategic, and a creative thinker who is a strong team player (no job is too small or too big) and is willing to take on additional responsibility as necessary.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary based on experience and excellent benefits. The position is available now.
Please email a resume, three writing samples, and letter of interest to the attention of:
Kathy Brown, Director of Development
St. Paul’s Episcopal School
116 Montecito Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
Please write your full name and “Communications Manager 2013” in the subject line. Please do not send a fax or a mail a paper copy.
We fully and actively support equal opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.