ST. PAUL PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
The district did not have my back as an employee.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Various schools in the districtJanuary 4, 2018
Working in the St. Paul schools was stressful and depressing. The curriculum was poorly developed and not always appreciated by the students. The children were not being challenged.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
OK place to work,depending on site
Custodian/Engineer 2 (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 11, 2017
typical day at work is cleaning up after children and teachers.
Learned about maintenance and bldg operations
Management can be good or bad ,depending on which school you work at.
Workplace culture varies by school.
Constant interruptions while you work , Some Principals and teachers are extremely unreasonable with demands. Lately some schools are becoming hazardous to work at ,due to violent students,
I enjoyed the pay,the M-F hours and any day that students weren't around
Pros
pay, M-F job
Cons
Stressful job conditions, violent and unruly students.
A good enviroment.
facility service worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 20, 2017
The school that I worked at was very busy. The students had a lot of activities daily. The staff & students were friendly on a daily bases. We worked as a team, when the time was needed. Otherwise you had an area to do nightly.
Summary
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 18, 2017
The hardest part of the job was working with autistic children with no special training and in a classroom where the regular teacher was often absent. In a typical day, I would drive to the location where I was to load the bus with a specific child. Ride the bus to school. Help the children use the restroom and clean up before going down to breakfast. Supervise the children as they ate. Return to the classroom. Assistant the teacher in helping the children with reading, writing, math, and sensory perception. Escort the children to lunch, supervise them on the playground, and do more reading, math, etc. At the end of the day, I would ride the bus home with the assigned child.
Pros
Working with children.
Cons
No training in advance of starting work. Being required to ride the bus with a child.
Diverse and exciting work place
Technology Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 16, 2017
St. Paul Public Schools is a very diverse place. It is fun to go to work and experience the many different cultures. The staff are friendly and care about the students they work with.
Pros
Divesity, good benifit
Cons
challenging students
Close Knit Community
Special Needs Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 8, 2016
Great benefits, including but not limited to: pension plan and 403(B). There is an extreme amount of red tape involving everything you can imagine. There is not a lot of loyalty with regards to employees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no loyalty
School is In
Lead Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 30, 2016
When I started working for St.Paul Schools, I really enjoyed it. However, after my last year the students were out of control.
Enjoyed my job very much
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 21, 2016
I enjoyed my job and duties very much. However with poor management and no follow through it made things difficult, and that was by far the hardest part of the job. My coworkers were wonderful.
Pros
Flexible, good pay, good vacation and sick time accrual
Cons
Poor management, no follow through
A very collaborative organization
Parent Liaison/Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNApril 18, 2016
SPPS is an very enjoyable organization to work for with the goal of ensuring that each child has the best educational experience possible.
Pros
Free lunches, accessible administration
Cons
none known
Great job
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 18, 2016
Great job, learned how to work with students on their level. Great co-workers. Saying goodbye in the summer. A typical day at work would be working with students in different areas.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No summer work.
meh
Special Education Teacher DCD (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 16, 2015
Good principals get worked out because, teachers run the district and agenda of the school. Did I mention that teacher are basically looking out for themselves and not the students
Creative learning enviroment that produces successful results.
Education Liaison (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 6, 2015
Great environment with dedicated colleagues. Very supportive management that makes employees feel valued and part of each child's success.
Working in the St. Paul Public Schools
Elementary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 6, 2015
I worked for 33 years in St. Paul schools. It was an exceptional career for me. I enjoyed the children, the curriculum, the staff, the administration, the opportunies to "be myself", use my creativity, and give of myself.
My greatest joy was being blessed with the classes I had each year. We had our own struggles. We also survived those struggles. We had our successes and felt enriched by our experiences. I am a better person for being around children and caring adults.

My "other job" was mentoring beginning teachers. I loved that role. I also supervised arond 20 student teachers and enjoyed working with them.
Another job was training teachers in classroom organization. I did building, district, national training and thoroughly enjoyed my exposure to those activities. I thrive in creative environments.
Pros
Children
Cons
Meetings, report cards...
the joy of teaching ones who want and dont want to be taught
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 11, 2015
I will miss sitting down at a table with 5 or six kids teaching them how to network on projects and to multitask by helping 1 or 2 kids with geography, 2 or 3 with Mathematics, and 1 or 2 other student with class projects. never a dull day and Im defiantly smarter then a 6th grader (their is a lot of information that we as people learned in elementary but have lost after lack of daily practice)
Occupational Therapist - Full Time (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 9, 2014
SPPS is a great place to work and they offer great health care and other benefits that are very low cost and sometimes paid for for you.

Started my sixth year there this September.

Work in B-3 program....love doing the home visiting as job is pretty flexible and you make your own schedule.

Free CEU's offered through SPPS, training provided by district. Not specifically OT related but many are relevant to my job. We pay out of our own pocket for other OT related CEU's.
Cons
Re-licensing costs are not covered by SPPS
not a good place to work
Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 10, 2014
not the best company to work for. a lot of the staff were rude and did not care to much for the employees.
It's a great place to work.
Receptionist / Attendance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 20, 2014
A typical day at work included greeting children and parents, gathering attendance from teachers, data entry, calling parents and interaction with teachers and principal. The principal was often busy but very friendly. I learned the program Campus. Co-workers were great to work with very friendly. Hardest part of the job was the commute across town during a very difficult winter. I really enjoyed interacting with the people there.
Rewarding to teach inner-city children and youth
Educator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 23, 2014
Position requires a wide educational base of all subjects and a variety of creative learning strategies.
Fun place to work.
Teacher's Asst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 16, 2014
A typical day involved providing one on one help to special needs children in grades K-6.

The hardest part on this job is knowing how hard each student's personal life is and not being able to do anything about it.

The most enjoyable and satisfying part of the job was being able to bond with children and creating a safe environment for them to learn.
Pros
Great hours.
Cons
Emotionally draining.
great place to work
Teachers Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 4, 2013
enjoyed the job until I found something more of what i wanted.