St. Paul Travelers

St. Paul Travelers Employee Reviews

It's a paycheck, not a rewarding career
Claim (Current Employee), NortheastJune 16, 2015
Pros: Compensation
Cons: Miserable place to be
Extremely limited chance of advancement. Some have been here for decades and still have no chance of being anything other than an "individual contributor". The company just moves existing managers around – more... instead of promoting anyone. Layoffs, layoffs, as more and more work is outsourced, either offshore or to other vendors/locations. Morale is in the toilet. Leadership doesn't care as long as the cogs keep turning - and that's all you will be - a cog in the machine. Only thing keeping me here is the money & benefits. Honestly, I hate going to work every day. – less
Awesome Company
Claim Manager (Former Employee), Diamond Bar, CAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Training, Experience Management
Cons: Huge Workload
Great benefits, extensive training, integrity, honest, and focused on building top talent. Offers bonuses, stock options, and competitive pay increases. A great pool of talented, very smart employees. Travelers is always looking for ways to do things better. A great place to retire.
Productive workplace
Medical Case Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, thorough orientation program, good location
Cons: No breaks, high stress level to produce high results, high case inventory
Flexible hours are available with Managerial approval.
High case inventory > 60 files
Weekly /monthly Manager case reviews
Professional standards are upheld
Expected excellent case management and UR management
Pleasant physical environment

Continuing education onsite
Diversity, Customer Service Driven
claims professional (Current Employee), houston texasJune 4, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, great co-workers, fun professional environment
Cons: workplace / life balance
Management has a phenomenal open door policy, Unit managers are always looking for was to encourage employment envelopment. Typical word day is the atmosphere of an inbound callcenter / customer service – more... department handling calls that range from reporting claims, inquiring on status of claims and general information pertaining to policy coverages . The job itself is fairly easy but can become overwhelming during high call volume. Job Work / Life Balance is very limited considering the requirements / commitments needed in order to be successful in claims customer service – less
I enjoy my job!
Claim Handler (Current Employee), Naperville, ILMay 21, 2015
I really enjoy my job. My only complaint is that they do not currently offer work from home opportunities, which is very unfortunate as many other insurance companies offer this.
Wonderful Job Experience
Account Manager Underwriter (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 14, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Short handed
Answer calls to assist with questions or take payments from insured.
Underwrite North Carolina Assigned Risk Workers Comp policies assigned to us by the North Carolina Rate Bureau.
Process changes, cancellations, – more... invoice all within state guide lines.
Working in this department has taught me about workers comp policies.
We had several teams in my department handling many different states. I am a team player and work very well with my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is being short handed.
I love the customer service and investigative work that I perform. – less
Good company
Claims Support Specialist (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAMay 6, 2015
This is a great job if you are ready to move up in a company. The people are great, management is great. Hardest part of the job.
Claim Adjuster
Claim Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 27, 2015
If you like a challenge, then this is the job for you. The workload is dependant on the weather. Pray for good weather. Other than that, you make your own schedule.
Would not recommend
Commercial Transportation Claim Specialist (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNApril 23, 2015
Enjoyable co-workers, poor management, excellent training and continuing education. This would not be a company I would invest a life long career at.
Organized, Not honest or open
Collector for RMS an IQOR Company (Former Employee), Tucson, AZApril 22, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: No benefts
A typical day at RMS was busy, I have learned no matter how hard you tried and how well you thought you were doing if you were not liked it sucked.
There are not any words to describe my manager, upper – more... management Ill rate as A, my co-workers were fantastic but had different levels of knowledge so the buddy system training they offered could use re-thinking of a better system when it came to training,The hardest part of the job was calculating the premium with an audit it always had to be precise to the penny.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the clients and the challenge. – less
There are worse places
Claim Professional (Current Employee), Richardson, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: compensation
Cons: unreasonable expectations, no work/life balance
The company pays well but there is no work/life balance. Lots of room for opportunity if you perform.

They aren't rigid about when you come and as long as you arent hourly. However, you are expected – more... to work until your job is done. Being that everyone has enough work for 2 there are a lot of early mornings, late nights and weekends. This additional time isn't to get caught up on everything but rather to stay above water.

If you make a mistake - depending on who is watching will decide your fate as to whther you'll be shunned for life or if it'll be forgotten tomorrow.

Overall - it's a good place to learn the business and it pays well but you can't stay (in claim) long term. – less
Very first job in health insurance industry and was very well trained along with others that had not experience in that field.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 8, 2015
Pros: Very good training program
Cons: The Grand Rapids Office Soon Closed Within 5 years after it opened.
Received extensive training on basics of payment of claims. Became familiar with ICD9 codes CPT4 codes, 1500 claim forms along with all other forms of referrals, certifications, coordination of benefits. etc:

Medical terminology was trained.
Don't work here unless you want to watch your job go to India.
Business Analyst Level (Former Employee), Hartford, CTApril 6, 2015
Don't work here unless you want to watch your job go to India. Ten managers to every employee. Other than that it is a fine company to work for.
great pay/benefits but little room for growth
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), new yorkApril 1, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits, peers
Cons: no room for growth/movement, empty promises
Travelers has an excellent benefits package including a handsome salary and time off package. This has allowed me to be flexible with my family time. The environment however, is very stressful and negative. – more... Everyday is a battle between doing the right thing and giving people what they want. There are often very angry customers that you have to deal with. Once in while there is someone that is grateful for the service you provide and that is rewarding, but that is few and far between. There is little room for growth and/or movement. Management is hard to find most of the time therefore they are little help. We rely on our peers to get our questions answered. – less
Great pay. Great benefits. Unbearable bureaucracy.
Underwriter (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2015
For the most part, the job is fun and enjoyable... as long as management does not intervene with your daily work flow.

The training has plenty of room for improvement.
Friendly, respectful and fun place to work
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great benefits and job culture
Overall, my experience at Travelers was good. Management and my co-workers were easy to get a long with and were always very helpful, no matter the situation. I learned a lot, both about my job and myself. – more... I gained a good understanding of how different business units work together and how a company as large as Travelers stays organized and functional. The hardest part of my job would have been learning all of the different in's and out's of insurance. That being said, Travelers had a great training program for all new hires, so once I completed the training I was fully prepared to do my job at a high level. The most enjoyable part of my job would have been working with people who truly cared about me and were easy to get a long with. Also, my managers really gave me the tools to advance professionally by giving my jobs and projects that allowed me to learn and be challenged. – less
Great Company
Sales- Personal Lines (Former Employee), Spokane, WAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great company
Travelers is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The management, wages, available work shifts and too many more benefits to speak of.
Challenging and interesting work with excellent colleagues
Medical Unit Manager (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: daycare, health club, cafeteria onsite, company choir, time off for volunteer work.
Cons: onsite parking is limited.
Collaboration and teamwork are necessary when working in claims and the culture at Travelers reflects that value. The work is challenging and the colleagial atmosphere enhances our ability to provide optimal claim outcomes.
Team Leader - Surety Collections
Supervisor-Collections (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 20, 2015
This company is no longer in business.

At the time I was with them I worked in Surety Collections in the accounting department, first as a Sr. Collections Analyst and then as a Team leader.

This was a very great company to work for.
Productive and fun workplace
AGENCY UNDERWRITER (Former Employee), Houston TexasFebruary 9, 2015
A great place to work at with plenty of opportunities open to grow within the company. Training was always well done and staff and management were easy to work with. There was always a positive atmosphere.

1 2 3 4 5

About St. Paul Travelers

Running a business is a risk The Travelers Companies will insure. While it does offer personal auto and homeowners insurance, the – Read more

St. Paul Travelers Salaries