Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports to: Finance Director
Direct Reports: Staff Accountant
FLSA: Exempt Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Position directs the financial management and analysis, product cost development, and cost accounting / manufacturing related activities of International Labs. International Labs is a contract packaging plant that is joint venture where MWV has operational control. This position requires expertise in financial and cost accounting, financial modeling, reporting, decision analysis and budgeting. This position helps develops, maintain and oversee the internal control environment, including but not limited to accuracy of costing basis, profit and Loss statement accuracy, and validation of balance sheet. Incumbent will engage in the resolution of accounting issues as it pertains to complying with MWV, Joint Venture Partner accounting inquiries and plant accounting policies. Advises and counsels management team as necessary on current and anticipated operating and financial issues recommending corrective actions as necessary. Position supervises one Accounting/PR Coordinator who is responsible for Payroll, AP/AR and General ledger journals and reconciliations.
Position serves as liaison with Corporate IT departments for day-to-day IT needs as requested by site employees and managers via ServiceNow requests and internal IT equipment requests as necessary.
The position reports to the Finance Director with a strong relationship to the International Labs General Manager.
Key Outcomes & Accountabilities
- Decision support and analysis for plant.
- Advise and counsel management team as necessary on current and anticipated operating and financial issues recommending corrective actions as necessary.
- Serve as primary financial liaison to the Controller’s Office; provide all required and requested ad hoc management reporting as necessary.
- Compliance/implementation of ERP data systems. Conducts studies, submits recommendations and manages implementation for improving general accounting operations/ERP data systems on a continuous basis.
- Reporting of results; ensure accuracy and validity of reports. Explanation and analysis of results as well as forecasts, budgets, etc to both INL management and MWV management,
- Effective working relationship with management team providing analysis, documentation, explanation, and financial counsel as required.
- Work with MWV Internal Audit and partner external auditors to ensure audit controls are in conformance with Corporate and Division policies.
- Project management of projects and initiatives as they come up
Scope of Work
- Lead all financial analysis, reporting, and accounting efforts for international Labs
- Coordinates development of annual budgets and operating plans including machine rates and relevant standard product costing and manufacturing variances as well as plant overhead.
- Partner with warehouse manager to manage/control plant inventories Responsible for analysis of capital investments and cost reduction initiatives working with the appropriate internal and external business partners.
- Provide guidance and input to assist Accounting Clerk in general ledger, AR, AP, analysis, reporting and inventory management issues.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
Cost Accounting/Financial Analysis: Provide analysis of production line efficiencies, product costing and standards in order to assist in identifying areas for profit improvement. Provides support analysis & team participation for special projects.
Productivity and Process Improvement Programs – Initialize, assist, implement and help drive cost savings and production efficiency, including implementation timing, progress assessment and project forecast impacts. Support/analyze Six Sigma projects.
Forecasting & Annual Budgeting – Analyze manufacturing costs and expenditures on a monthly basis. Prepares financial analysis supporting manufacturing metrics (line run speeds, waste, and change over time, spending, headcount and fixed cost expenditures). Prepares annual budgets including machine rates and relevant standard product costing. Support, improve and drive efficiency in budgeting and daily reporting.
Transaction Processing / Data Integrity – Ensure and improve proper use of transactions from receiving to manufacturing through shipping. Drive process improvements and data integrity through standardized data integrity process controls & 100% compliance to corporate procedures. Direct interaction with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Receiving and Shipping on transaction/data performance issues.
- Month End Close/Reporting and Internal Controls– Prepares or reviews
journal entries and account reconciliations. Reports manufacturing variable and fixed cost of production results and prepares variance analysis. Ensures compliance with US GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley; performs ongoing reviews of internal controls. Manages preparation and submission of monthly/quarterly financial reports for Management team and Corporate Departments.
Capital Investment – Prepares economic evaluation of capital investments. Ensures proper capital/expense recording according to US GAAP and MWV policy/procedures.
- Management Responsibility for Accountant – Provides leadership, coaching and training on all issues relating to AR, AP, finance, manufacturing and inventory transaction processes, data integrity, MWV accounting Policies and US GAAP
- Systems – Coordinates maintenance and upkeep with MWV systems’ team. Coordinates installation of INL specific software with MWV technical team to assure compatibility and resources will be available to support. Conducts studies, submits recommendations and manages implementation for improving general accounting operations/ERP data systems on a continuous basis.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience in financial and cost accounting in a manufacturing environment.
- Attention to detail and analytical skill and presentation is critical as much of the work provided by this position is used in making business decisions
- 2+ Years supervisory experience
- Extensive financial analysis abilities, and the ability to manage change effectively and multi-task
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills including the ability to present and explain financial results in a credible, professional manner
- Effective working relationships with management team
- Leadership and motivational skills
- Expert Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience with ERP systems, implementation experience a plus
Working Conditions & General Work Requirements
- Exposure to manufacturing environment (noise, dust, etc.)
- Overtime during period/year end closings and project implementations
- Occasional travel