St. Petersburg College

St. Petersburg College Employee Reviews

Duties
Student Success Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 4, 2017
The job was mostly advising at first, then more demands were placed on advisors. We had a small team so it the job description changed constantly. I enjoyed working with the students and staff but the changes every other month was challenging.
Pros
benefits, pay, co-workers
Cons
constant changes in duties, management
Fantastic place of employment
Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 17, 2016
I would recommend SPC to anyone in the Tampa Bay area in Florida. It offers great benefits and a wonderful work environment.
Great first time job.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seminole, FLJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day at St. Petersburg College- Student Support Center was a great day. We were always helping students regarding academics, tutoring, personal, and many other things. I was always in charge of the data entry type work at the office. I normally finished pretty quickly. This was my first job ever and I learned a lot of valuable skills and made great friends. My manager was a very nice lady that I still talk to and I am friends with ever since I started working for her. My co-workers were very nice and understanding for the fact that I couldn't hear that well. The hardest part of this job was having to leave, because of financial aid. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people every day.
Pros
Valuable skills, connections, knowledge, and much more
Cons
Great place to work as a student, often has fun events.
Learning Resource Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 24, 2017
SPC work-student program cares mostly about your schooling, work is almost second.
Willing to work around your schedule
gives out movie tickets and gives free food at least 2x a month
Pros
Nice schedules
Cons
Limits you to 15 hours a week
Excellent exposure to education in this field
Lab Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 25, 2016
Overall this position was one of my favorites. I was able to learn new skills and use my current skills safely.
All of my superiors were approachable and helpful.
There was an independence in the position that allowed you to schedule tasks according to your available time.
I was trusted to provide the necessary assistance to all of the labs I worked with/for.
I was also trusted to assist labs outside the Biology Department, such as Chemistry or Physics.
It allowed me to work with my brain and my hands and provided me with all of the safety training I might need for this job.
Pros
Approachable and friendly co-workers.
Cons
No future - I only had this position as long as I was taking classes.
Great Environment
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 12, 2017
St. Petersburg College was very kind and appreciative of me. The job was hard at times, but nothing that was too hard to handle.
Blah
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLAugust 9, 2016
It seems that with every opportunity to advance the hiring requirements are different. One time Seniority is all that matters & the next job will be something different.
Want an I.T. job, better know somebody
Computers (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FlSeptember 9, 2015
If you have family on the board of trusties or executive level, it is a great place to work. If you take a low level or part time I.T. position to get your foot in the door, don't plan on having advancement opportunities. Part timers ( OPS ) will be stuck in that position for years. Full time positions in IT seem to go be given as favors rather then to qualified employees with proven productivity. For students, counselors need to learn more about the evolving environment of higher education. Counselors seem to have a decent grasp of requirements for students just out of high school. However, veterans, returning students and A.S. degree holders trying to advance their education will have a load of problems. They just can't comprehend the fact that people need additional education to remain competitive.
Pros
Many great peolple focused on educational excellence.
Cons
If you want a good job, you may need family at executive level.
Good work, temporary employment
Coachs' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 30, 2013
I enjoyed working for the school however it was a temporary job and the compensation was not very competetive. Typically I would enter data on the team statistics, compile and review opponents statistics, and perform maintenance on equipment and gymnasium. Also during games I was responsible for preparing the gym and keeping live stats for each team during the game.
Pros
Free dinners and road trips throughout Florida
Cons
Temp work and low hours
great benefits
Student Support Advisor (Former Employee) –  st. petersburgFebruary 2, 2015
does not consider previous work experience, education, etc for pay.

great benefits/time off

work life balance +

intrinsically satisfying based off of working with students, hard to grow professionally.
Acedemic Enviroment
Grant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 17, 2012
Procedures must be followed to the letter and it takes some time to change them if needed. Staff is knowledge and helpful. Benefits are great. Management is supportive.
Pros
positive atmoshere
Cons
takes a while to change procedures
Nice place to work in or out of school.
Student Assistant (Admin) (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 21, 2016
SPC is a good place to work. Some of the staff are not the best to work with, but if you can focus on what you're therefore, and do what you have to do. You will get alone find.
Pros
Free lunches at times and able to see events on campus
Cons
They are talkers
Na
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 13, 2014
It was an excellent part time job for a high school student that turned into something more as time went on. The benefits were very good but the pay could have been better. It was good while it lasted.
RN Instructor, Online (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 30, 2015
I am an adjunct instructor who works from home. I teach a variety of nursing classes online to students that are working towards their BSN. My team leaders have been great and are willing to answer questions as needed and to guide staff through changes that have been made.

The hardest part of my job is to get all of the students to communicate with me in the online environment. We do not see each other face to face and so there is a disconnect sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people in the online environment and watching them learn new things.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Not a full-time online position
Great starting place!
Student Support (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 29, 2014
St. Petersburg College in general is a great institution. There are various opportunities for professional development and the opportunity to impact students is immense. The college culture of St. Petersburg College has matured a great deal as well.

Significant improvement is still needed regarding their internal hiring and promotion practices. The system of favoritism is still prevalent at this institution and diversity is lacking. Also, the opportunity for advancement is limited.
Pros
18 credit hours of free tution, and professional development
Cons
Lack of diversity, limited opportunities for advancement
Great learning environment
Career Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 5, 2013
I loved working at SPC and helping the students. The management was awesome to work with as well as my co workers. It was a very busy office setting but I love fast paced jobs and learned a lot about efficiently running an office, setting up appointments and travel itineraries, resumes and cover letters and problem solving.
Pros
working in an academic environment
Cons
we sometimes had long hours
This was an interesting experience.
Physics, Mathematics, and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 7, 2016
I worked here for a brief time, but I had mainly good experiences. Students truly want to learn, which makes your work a lot easier. Coworkers were fun to work with, friendly, and helpful.
Pros
Easy. Fun. Works with your academic schedule.
Cons
Low pay rate.
Productive and amazing place to work with friendly departmental staff.
Adjunct Lecturer, Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 12, 2012
St. Petersburg College, Clearwater campus, Mathematics department, is an excellent place to work. A typical work day is one of fun and excitement. The management is accommodating and supportive in meeting instructor's needs. Co-workers are outstanding, very friendly, and always willing to share valuable techniques for teaching improvement. The hardest part of the job is trying to help students understand the importance of class attendance to their performance. The most enjoyable part is seeing increasing number of students succeeding semester after semester.
Pros
free food in staff room
Cons
holidays
Great place to work with a diverse population
Library Services Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 28, 2016
Enjoyed working with the college students, and the public patrons. Everyday was different with a nice variety. Co-workers were enjoyable.
Great Environment & Nice People
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJanuary 31, 2013
As a Student Assistant at the "Student Life & Leadership" I have always been kept busy with the creation and distribution of flyers for various campus events, the set-up and take-down of various campus events, the management of the Gym and Flag football Team, and the giving of information to students in need of some assistance. The Campus is beautiful and Serene. I enjoy the environment very much. Any other staff that i have ever come into contact with has been very helpful and kind. Seriously a great place to work
Pros
serene places on campus, nice people, sometimes free food from events
Cons
as a student i am restricted to 15 hours per week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Petersburg College. Our community is ready to answer.