St. Petersburg College Employee Review

View all St. Petersburg College reviews

Enjoyable but occasionally challenging workplace
College level Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 14, 2013
Being a college level tutor was a great experience for me as I was able to not only interact with a large percentage of the student body, but I was able to learn the flexibility and adaptation required when relating with people of different age groups, needs and backgrounds.

It was a humbling experience and I grew to enjoy helping people become better at whatever subject matter gave them difficulty. My coworkers were fellow students like me and I grew close to several of them. We still remain good friends today.

The hardest part about the job was learning how to juggle my own classes and assignments and still effectively maintain a good grade whilst working as a tutor. Furthermore, it would get emotionally frustrating when some students would refuse to grasp the content and then became very rude and aggressive. These times called for heightened patience on my part as I had to be empathetic and respectful at all times.

Overall the experience made me more aware of the differences in humanity (attitudes, perception and passion to succeed) and I was able to appreciate the fact that I was helping others help themselves.
Pros
Good friendships, Flexible work hours, Close proximity to my classes
Cons
Short breaks, Rude students, Condescending treatment from 'adult' students, low pay

Other St. Petersburg College Employee Reviews

Student Work Study
VETERAN SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 7, 2017
This was a student work study program, got paid minimum wage, tuned in time sheets after 40hrs. Didn't matter how many hours you worked a day, try to schedule working between classes and with other work studies.
Adising-Love the Students/Terrible Management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 2, 2017
SPC has great benefits and paid winter and spring breaks. Most of the staff at SPC is wonderful. In Advising, most of my colleagues are very team-oriented/caring individuals. However, SPC tends to hire supervisors lacking in leadership experience who tend to regularly throw their own employees under the bus. While working with SPC students and faculty is a joy, the workload is unmanageable and upper management has very unrealistic expectations of what advisors will be able to accomplish. Upper management regularly assigns non-advising duties to our already beyond full plates and still tend to "build the plane while flying it" when it comes to new programs or projects. Our duties and policies rapidly change.
Pros
Paid Winter & Spring Breaks-great colleagues/Love the students
Cons
Management, unrealistic work expectations, workload