St. Petersburg College

St. Petersburg College Employee Reviews

Enjoyable but occasionally challenging workplace
College level Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 14, 2013
Being a college level tutor was a great experience for me as I was able to not only interact with a large percentage of the student body, but I was able to learn the flexibility and adaptation required when relating with people of different age groups, needs and backgrounds.

It was a humbling experience and I grew to enjoy helping people become better at whatever subject matter gave them difficulty. My coworkers were fellow students like me and I grew close to several of them. We still remain good friends today.

The hardest part about the job was learning how to juggle my own classes and assignments and still effectively maintain a good grade whilst working as a tutor. Furthermore, it would get emotionally frustrating when some students would refuse to grasp the content and then became very rude and aggressive. These times called for heightened patience on my part as I had to be empathetic and respectful at all times.

Overall the experience made me more aware of the differences in humanity (attitudes, perception and passion to succeed) and I was able to appreciate the fact that I was helping others help themselves.
Pros
good friendships, flexible work hours, close proximity to my classes
Cons
short breaks, rude students, condescending treatment from 'adult' students, low pay
Easy going staff with fluxuating amounts of work
Clerical Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 5, 2012
There are many departments in Saint Petersburg College Clearwater Campus. I worked in the Fine Arts department. At that time The program director took care of the Fine Arts department and the Social Science department. As a clerical assistant I would have to run errands back and forth from both buildings. Being a student, that meant walking to the buildings. I wore many hats in this job position, Being a file clerk, a mail clerk, an errand runner, Petty cash handling, assisting professors with tasks in the fine arts department including price quotes from vendors, and a receptionist if the Main administrative staff member was busy or told you to do so at that time. They host Juried Art shows and other art shows for the students that attend that department. You will be asked to help set up the shows, call students who have projects entered, help eat the food during the show ( my favorite part!) and help clean up after the show has ended. The staff are very friendly and are very helpful. You can confide in them if you ever need to ask questions or just talk.
Pros
warm hearted staff members, helping with art shows is a blast, clean bathrooms, ice cold a/c, big fridge, free water
Cons
low hours, minimum wage, no health benifts, no advancement.
Want an I.T. job, better know somebody
Computers (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FlSeptember 9, 2015
If you have family on the board of trusties or executive level, it is a great place to work. If you take a low level or part time I.T. position to get your foot in the door, don't plan on having advancement opportunities. Part timers ( OPS ) will be stuck in that position for years. Full time positions in IT seem to go be given as favors rather then to qualified employees with proven productivity. For students, counselors need to learn more about the evolving environment of higher education. Counselors seem to have a decent grasp of requirements for students just out of high school. However, veterans, returning students and A.S. degree holders trying to advance their education will have a load of problems. They just can't comprehend the fact that people need additional education to remain competitive.
Pros
Many great peolple focused on educational excellence.
Cons
If you want a good job, you may need family at executive level.
Productive and amazing place to work with friendly departmental staff.
Adjunct Lecturer, Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 12, 2012
St. Petersburg College, Clearwater campus, Mathematics department, is an excellent place to work. A typical work day is one of fun and excitement. The management is accommodating and supportive in meeting instructor's needs. Co-workers are outstanding, very friendly, and always willing to share valuable techniques for teaching improvement. The hardest part of the job is trying to help students understand the importance of class attendance to their performance. The most enjoyable part is seeing increasing number of students succeeding semester after semester.
Pros
free food in staff room
Cons
holidays
Great Environment & Nice People
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJanuary 31, 2013
As a Student Assistant at the "Student Life & Leadership" I have always been kept busy with the creation and distribution of flyers for various campus events, the set-up and take-down of various campus events, the management of the Gym and Flag football Team, and the giving of information to students in need of some assistance. The Campus is beautiful and Serene. I enjoy the environment very much. Any other staff that i have ever come into contact with has been very helpful and kind. Seriously a great place to work
Pros
serene places on campus, nice people, sometimes free food from events
Cons
as a student i am restricted to 15 hours per week
RN Instructor, Online (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 30, 2015
I am an adjunct instructor who works from home. I teach a variety of nursing classes online to students that are working towards their BSN. My team leaders have been great and are willing to answer questions as needed and to guide staff through changes that have been made.

The hardest part of my job is to get all of the students to communicate with me in the online environment. We do not see each other face to face and so there is a disconnect sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people in the online environment and watching them learn new things.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Not a full-time online position
Great starting place!
Student Support (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 29, 2014
St. Petersburg College in general is a great institution. There are various opportunities for professional development and the opportunity to impact students is immense. The college culture of St. Petersburg College has matured a great deal as well.

Significant improvement is still needed regarding their internal hiring and promotion practices. The system of favoritism is still prevalent at this institution and diversity is lacking. Also, the opportunity for advancement is limited.
Pros
18 credit hours of free tution, and professional development
Cons
lack of diversity, limited opportunities for advancement
Productive and receptive work environment.
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 3, 2013
I worked here as a sort of summer internship with a few of my schoolmates. We worked together to develop a few small-scale proof of concepts for applying technologies that we had worked with in the past to new situations. I would say that the hardest part would be a new kind of work experience and having almost complete creative control in the project. Everyone we worked with was really nice and helpful even when they were busy. I learned how a larger production environment operates and how to develop solutions in one.
Good work, temporary employment
Coachs' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 30, 2013
I enjoyed working for the school however it was a temporary job and the compensation was not very competetive. Typically I would enter data on the team statistics, compile and review opponents statistics, and perform maintenance on equipment and gymnasium. Also during games I was responsible for preparing the gym and keeping live stats for each team during the game.
Pros
free dinners and road trips throughout florida
Cons
temp work and low hours
St. Petersburg College
Adjunct Professor for Sciences (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 15, 2012
Professional College working environment. All staff are available and competent at their tasks.

My teaching skills continue to grow.

Working evening shifts has confirmed my managerial skills in many situations.

Co-workers are part of a team.

There is no hard part of the job.

Extending my knowledge of sciences to students that can be hindered by equations and math.
Pros
retirement plan
Cons
no health care options
Great work environment!
STUDENT ASSISTANT IN DISABILITY RESOURCES (Current Employee) –  clearwater, flMay 2, 2015
The co-workers great and they help you with whatever you need. The job is a lot of office work and you will learn a lot about computer software's. You will be involved with students and they work around your school schedule. They understand that school always comes first! The only con is that they only allow student assistants to work 15 hours a week, and a lot of students need more than that.
N/A
Algebra Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLAugust 1, 2012
A typical day at work involved doing adult students' algebra homework for them while that grunted occasional assents at me and texted people. I learned that I am capable of explaining many topics of basic algebra to people but that I don't like it. Management was aloof but effective. My co-workers were decent people. The hardest part of the job was being on. The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving a small sum of money to perform it.
Great learning environment
Career Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 5, 2013
I loved working at SPC and helping the students. The management was awesome to work with as well as my co workers. It was a very busy office setting but I love fast paced jobs and learned a lot about efficiently running an office, setting up appointments and travel itineraries, resumes and cover letters and problem solving.
Pros
working in an academic environment
Cons
we sometimes had long hours
Print Shop Management is HORRIBLE
Print Slave (Former Employee) –  The Print PrisonOctober 8, 2014
This has to be the worst hostile work environment I've been subjected to in a long time. The staff treats everyone like dirt and expect tasks to be completed in an unreasonable amount of time with equipment that is horribly outdated. If you want to be ridden like a pony and belittled by people who have nothing going for them I highly recommend this very bad job.
Cons
the entire work experience
Working with students of all ages was rewarding.
Interim Student Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLNovember 10, 2014
Teaching a non-credit course on a college level was a challenge. The students were aged 18-80 and were on many different educational and social levels.

The requirement to pass a State test with 70% or better created an environment that stressful to some students.
Pros
working with students.
Cons
no room for advancement.
I WAS ABLE TO LEARN HOW TO MULTI TASK. THE TEACHERS I HAD WERE GREAT!!
Clerical and general duties (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 13, 2012
I WAS HIRED PART TIME DUE TO CLASSES I WAS TAKING IN THE BUSINESS OFFICE OF THE TECH BUILDING. MAY TIME WAS TAKEN UP WITH RUNNING ERRANDS AND RUNNING THE COMPUTER ROOM. IF A STUDENT HAD DIFFICULTY, I WAS THERE TO HELP THEM. THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB WAS WHEN I GRADUATED.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
parking was difficult.
The job is a biologist dream come true.
Lab Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLApril 2, 2014
Wonderful place to work at St. Petersburg College. The supervisors and colleagues are willing to help, mentor and train in every way possible. It's very easy to become knowledgeable quickly in many fields with great support and ambitious character.
Pros
supervisor, professors and the gift of expierience.
Great Company!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 2, 2013
My experience working for SPC was great. Although it was only a student position I worked closely to the permanent staff members. Everyone mixed well and enjoyed working. If it was not for the student position I would be continuing to working there right now.
Pros
everything
Cons
maybe alot of work to handle
Nursing School
Past Member of SPC Student Government (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 26, 2012
Great school. Teachers really care about the success of the students. The teachers will even tutor for free to help the students really grasp material. The program is extremely difficult, however, you feel prepared when you leave to be a nurse.
Pros
low cost school, great program.
This was an interesting experience.
Physics, Mathematics, and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 7, 2016
I worked here for a brief time, but I had mainly good experiences. Students truly want to learn, which makes your work a lot easier. Coworkers were fun to work with, friendly, and helpful.
Pros
Easy. Fun. Works with your academic schedule.
Cons
Low pay rate.

4.2