St. Petersburg College

St. Petersburg College Employee Reviews

Great first time job.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seminole, FLJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day at St. Petersburg College- Student Support Center was a great day. We were always helping students regarding academics, tutoring, personal, and many other things. I was always in charge of the data entry type work at the office. I normally finished pretty quickly. This was my first job ever and I learned a lot of valuable skills and made great friends. My manager was a very nice lady that I still talk to and I am friends with ever since I started working for her. My co-workers were very nice and understanding for the fact that I couldn't hear that well. The hardest part of this job was having to leave, because of financial aid. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people every day.
Pros
Valuable skills, connections, knowledge, and much more
Duties
Student Success Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 4, 2017
The job was mostly advising at first, then more demands were placed on advisors. We had a small team so it the job description changed constantly. I enjoyed working with the students and staff but the changes every other month was challenging.
Pros
benefits, pay, co-workers
Cons
constant changes in duties, management
Great place to work as a student, often has fun events.
Learning Resource Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 24, 2017
SPC work-student program cares mostly about your schooling, work is almost second.
Willing to work around your schedule
gives out movie tickets and gives free food at least 2x a month
Pros
Nice schedules
Cons
Limits you to 15 hours a week
Excellent exposure to education in this field
Lab Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 25, 2016
Overall this position was one of my favorites. I was able to learn new skills and use my current skills safely.
All of my superiors were approachable and helpful.
There was an independence in the position that allowed you to schedule tasks according to your available time.
I was trusted to provide the necessary assistance to all of the labs I worked with/for.
I was also trusted to assist labs outside the Biology Department, such as Chemistry or Physics.
It allowed me to work with my brain and my hands and provided me with all of the safety training I might need for this job.
Pros
Approachable and friendly co-workers.
Cons
No future - I only had this position as long as I was taking classes.
Fantastic place of employment
Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 17, 2016
I would recommend SPC to anyone in the Tampa Bay area in Florida. It offers great benefits and a wonderful work environment.
Great Environment
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 12, 2017
St. Petersburg College was very kind and appreciative of me. The job was hard at times, but nothing that was too hard to handle.
Blah
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLAugust 9, 2016
It seems that with every opportunity to advance the hiring requirements are different. One time Seniority is all that matters & the next job will be something different.
Nice place to work in or out of school.
Student Assistant (Admin) (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 21, 2016
SPC is a good place to work. Some of the staff are not the best to work with, but if you can focus on what you're therefore, and do what you have to do. You will get alone find.
Pros
Free lunches at times and able to see events on campus
Cons
They are talkers
RN Instructor, Online (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 30, 2015
I am an adjunct instructor who works from home. I teach a variety of nursing classes online to students that are working towards their BSN. My team leaders have been great and are willing to answer questions as needed and to guide staff through changes that have been made.

The hardest part of my job is to get all of the students to communicate with me in the online environment. We do not see each other face to face and so there is a disconnect sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people in the online environment and watching them learn new things.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Not a full-time online position
This was an interesting experience.
Physics, Mathematics, and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 7, 2016
I worked here for a brief time, but I had mainly good experiences. Students truly want to learn, which makes your work a lot easier. Coworkers were fun to work with, friendly, and helpful.
Pros
Easy. Fun. Works with your academic schedule.
Cons
Low pay rate.
Great place to work with a diverse population
Library Services Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 28, 2016
Enjoyed working with the college students, and the public patrons. Everyday was different with a nice variety. Co-workers were enjoyable.
Want an I.T. job, better know somebody
Computers (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FlSeptember 9, 2015
If you have family on the board of trusties or executive level, it is a great place to work. If you take a low level or part time I.T. position to get your foot in the door, don't plan on having advancement opportunities. Part timers ( OPS ) will be stuck in that position for years. Full time positions in IT seem to go be given as favors rather then to qualified employees with proven productivity. For students, counselors need to learn more about the evolving environment of higher education. Counselors seem to have a decent grasp of requirements for students just out of high school. However, veterans, returning students and A.S. degree holders trying to advance their education will have a load of problems. They just can't comprehend the fact that people need additional education to remain competitive.
Pros
Many great peolple focused on educational excellence.
Cons
If you want a good job, you may need family at executive level.
Great work environment!
STUDENT ASSISTANT IN DISABILITY RESOURCES (Current Employee) –  clearwater, flMay 2, 2015
The co-workers great and they help you with whatever you need. The job is a lot of office work and you will learn a lot about computer software's. You will be involved with students and they work around your school schedule. They understand that school always comes first! The only con is that they only allow student assistants to work 15 hours a week, and a lot of students need more than that.
Productive and amazing place to work with friendly departmental staff.
Adjunct Lecturer, Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 12, 2012
St. Petersburg College, Clearwater campus, Mathematics department, is an excellent place to work. A typical work day is one of fun and excitement. The management is accommodating and supportive in meeting instructor's needs. Co-workers are outstanding, very friendly, and always willing to share valuable techniques for teaching improvement. The hardest part of the job is trying to help students understand the importance of class attendance to their performance. The most enjoyable part is seeing increasing number of students succeeding semester after semester.
Pros
free food in staff room
Cons
holidays
Great Environment & Nice People
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJanuary 31, 2013
As a Student Assistant at the "Student Life & Leadership" I have always been kept busy with the creation and distribution of flyers for various campus events, the set-up and take-down of various campus events, the management of the Gym and Flag football Team, and the giving of information to students in need of some assistance. The Campus is beautiful and Serene. I enjoy the environment very much. Any other staff that i have ever come into contact with has been very helpful and kind. Seriously a great place to work
Pros
serene places on campus, nice people, sometimes free food from events
Cons
as a student i am restricted to 15 hours per week
Productive and receptive work environment.
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 3, 2013
I worked here as a sort of summer internship with a few of my schoolmates. We worked together to develop a few small-scale proof of concepts for applying technologies that we had worked with in the past to new situations. I would say that the hardest part would be a new kind of work experience and having almost complete creative control in the project. Everyone we worked with was really nice and helpful even when they were busy. I learned how a larger production environment operates and how to develop solutions in one.
Good work, temporary employment
Coachs' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 30, 2013
I enjoyed working for the school however it was a temporary job and the compensation was not very competetive. Typically I would enter data on the team statistics, compile and review opponents statistics, and perform maintenance on equipment and gymnasium. Also during games I was responsible for preparing the gym and keeping live stats for each team during the game.
Pros
Free dinners and road trips throughout Florida
Cons
Temp work and low hours
Print Shop Management is HORRIBLE
Print Slave (Former Employee) –  The Print PrisonOctober 8, 2014
This has to be the worst hostile work environment I've been subjected to in a long time. The staff treats everyone like dirt and expect tasks to be completed in an unreasonable amount of time with equipment that is horribly outdated. If you want to be ridden like a pony and belittled by people who have nothing going for them I highly recommend this very bad job.
Pros
Cons
The Entire Work Experience
St. Petersburg College
Adjunct Professor for Sciences (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 15, 2012
Professional College working environment. All staff are available and competent at their tasks.

My teaching skills continue to grow.

Working evening shifts has confirmed my managerial skills in many situations.

Co-workers are part of a team.

There is no hard part of the job.

Extending my knowledge of sciences to students that can be hindered by equations and math.
Pros
retirement plan
Cons
no health care options
N/a
Algebra Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLAugust 1, 2012
A typical day at work involved doing adult students' algebra homework for them while that grunted occasional assents at me and texted people. I learned that I am capable of explaining many topics of basic algebra to people but that I don't like it. Management was aloof but effective. My co-workers were decent people. The hardest part of the job was being on. The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving a small sum of money to perform it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Petersburg College. Our community is ready to answer.