St. Petersburg College

St. Petersburg College Employee Reviews

Excellent job while in College
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  St. PetersburgJanuary 12, 2015
My job was to be the face of the college for students. So we were at every College-wide marketing, promotional or achievement type event and were there to meet and greet or just fill voids.

I gained many solid connections and more of an ability to be flexible.
Tutored while attending college
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FloridaNovember 13, 2014
I enjoy helping others learn and in return, it helped me out as well.
Pros
Increased knowledge of accounting
Cons
Took some study time away
Working with students of all ages was rewarding.
Interim Student Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLNovember 10, 2014
Teaching a non-credit course on a college level was a challenge. The students were aged 18-80 and were on many different educational and social levels.

The requirement to pass a State test with 70% or better created an environment that stressful to some students.
Pros
Working with students.
Cons
No room for advancement.
Education
Adjunct Faculty College of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 14, 2014
Teaching new nursing students the aspects of Mental Health Nursing.
Pros
Student interaction
Cons
Time constraints of adjunct position
Print Shop Management is HORRIBLE
Print Slave (Former Employee) –  The Print PrisonOctober 8, 2014
This has to be the worst hostile work environment I've been subjected to in a long time. The staff treats everyone like dirt and expect tasks to be completed in an unreasonable amount of time with equipment that is horribly outdated. If you want to be ridden like a pony and belittled by people who have nothing going for them I highly recommend this very bad job.
Pros
Cons
The Entire Work Experience
Fun place
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 31, 2014
A lot of the teachers and students are very friendly. My supervisor guides me every step of the way. The dos and donts of the place. I usually file, organize student's personal informations.
A stimulating environment to work in
Educator/ Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLJune 26, 2014
You have the opportunity to teach students in the lab on campus; hospital setting; and the Simulation Lab.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Career advancement difficult without M.S.N.
I tutor math and computer skills
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  st. petersburg, floridaMay 18, 2014
I tutor in elementary math up to college algebra
I have learned a lot on how to make people understand learning math and how it can be easier
the hardest part is always having to be professional and not let math tutoring turn into a social session
co-workers are other tutors so there is always intelligent conversations happening
Pros
working with doctors of multiple sciences
Cons
not a high paying job
Great place to work with friendly staff; room for advancement.
STUDENT ASSISTANT, PURCHASING (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 23, 2014
A typical work week as a student assistant is fairly simple. Most days were very enjoyable for me.
The job is a biologist dream come true.
Lab Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLApril 2, 2014
Wonderful place to work at St. Petersburg College. The supervisors and colleagues are willing to help, mentor and train in every way possible. It's very easy to become knowledgeable quickly in many fields with great support and ambitious character.
Pros
Supervisor, Professors and the gift of expierience.
Great starting place!
Student Support (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 29, 2014
St. Petersburg College in general is a great institution. There are various opportunities for professional development and the opportunity to impact students is immense. The college culture of St. Petersburg College has matured a great deal as well.

Significant improvement is still needed regarding their internal hiring and promotion practices. The system of favoritism is still prevalent at this institution and diversity is lacking. Also, the opportunity for advancement is limited.
Pros
18 credit hours of free tution, and professional development
Cons
Lack of diversity, limited opportunities for advancement
Great learning environment
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 22, 2014
This job allowed me to take charge of a major task and taught me a new skill. I loved interacting with the students and public visitors that came to the career center. In this job I also got to help people which always makes me feel like a valued member of the team.
evaluator
Lead/Manager College Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJanuary 22, 2014
Fast pace with students when enrollment was going on. Learned lots of new things all the time.
Pros
classes for free
Cons
pulled in lots of direction
Na
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 13, 2014
It was an excellent part time job for a high school student that turned into something more as time went on. The benefits were very good but the pay could have been better. It was good while it lasted.
Not a steady job
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 27, 2013
Adjunct positions are not guaranteed employment. job schedule is not flexible, but nice people work there .
Good work, temporary employment
Coachs' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 30, 2013
I enjoyed working for the school however it was a temporary job and the compensation was not very competetive. Typically I would enter data on the team statistics, compile and review opponents statistics, and perform maintenance on equipment and gymnasium. Also during games I was responsible for preparing the gym and keeping live stats for each team during the game.
Pros
Free dinners and road trips throughout Florida
Cons
Temp work and low hours
Enjoyable but occasionally challenging workplace
College level Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 14, 2013
Being a college level tutor was a great experience for me as I was able to not only interact with a large percentage of the student body, but I was able to learn the flexibility and adaptation required when relating with people of different age groups, needs and backgrounds.

It was a humbling experience and I grew to enjoy helping people become better at whatever subject matter gave them difficulty. My coworkers were fellow students like me and I grew close to several of them. We still remain good friends today.

The hardest part about the job was learning how to juggle my own classes and assignments and still effectively maintain a good grade whilst working as a tutor. Furthermore, it would get emotionally frustrating when some students would refuse to grasp the content and then became very rude and aggressive. These times called for heightened patience on my part as I had to be empathetic and respectful at all times.

Overall the experience made me more aware of the differences in humanity (attitudes, perception and passion to succeed) and I was able to appreciate the fact that I was helping others help themselves.
Pros
Good friendships, Flexible work hours, Close proximity to my classes
Cons
Short breaks, Rude students, Condescending treatment from 'adult' students, low pay
Great Company!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 2, 2013
My experience working for SPC was great. Although it was only a student position I worked closely to the permanent staff members. Everyone mixed well and enjoyed working. If it was not for the student position I would be continuing to working there right now.
Pros
Cons
Maybe alot of work to handle
Flexible Hours
Adjunct Instructo (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg FLMay 1, 2013
Good job, but hours are constantly cut. Students are great.
Cons
no healthcare, hours constantly are cut
Productive and receptive work environment.
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 3, 2013
I worked here as a sort of summer internship with a few of my schoolmates. We worked together to develop a few small-scale proof of concepts for applying technologies that we had worked with in the past to new situations. I would say that the hardest part would be a new kind of work experience and having almost complete creative control in the project. Everyone we worked with was really nice and helpful even when they were busy. I learned how a larger production environment operates and how to develop solutions in one.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Petersburg College. Our community is ready to answer.