St. Vincent Catholic Charities Employee Reviews

Great place that really cares about the clients they serve
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 1, 2017
I really enjoyed working in the Children's Home. Staff and the clients we served were great and you could really see the difference you made working with the kids. Staff and management were very supportive and management was very open to hearing about employee concerns.
Productive, and great experiences.
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 23, 2017
if you're looking for experience in human services, this is a great job. I learned a lot about myself, but more than that it is a rewarding experience when working with the children. The pay not be the best but the experiences and learning you receive from working with the kids is priceless. You strengthen communication skills when working as a team. The Leadership in the children's home is always available for questions or concerns. Overall I would say just like with any company and job there are flaws and bad days, but the good by far outweighed the bad. There is no reward greater than helping a child through their difficult times.
Pros
Experience, helping others, fun coworkers
Cons
Can be stressful
Wouldn't recommend
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 22, 2017
Administration is completely disconnected from its staff....Missing the mark completely on its mission that ALL life has value... Most staff love what the Agency does but ends up quitting within 1 year due to mis management at the Admin Level. I have personally seen many excellent staff that the community needed in those positions quit because of upper management. A total change over is WELL over due .
Pros
Helps community
Cons
At the cost of over working, under paying and using employees for financial gains.
Terrible environment and unprofessional administrative staff
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  LansingMarch 17, 2017
Working for the agency was terrible. Almost all staff in the agency have quit. As you can see there are many job postings. That is not because if growth but because employees are not respected. Administration has little to no direct involvement and have no understanding of what it takes to run the programs. They make decisions without consulting staff who are knowledgeable? There is no accountability for their actions or lack there of.
Pros
Enjoyed working with clients
Cons
Administrative staff
Terrible place to work for
youth advocate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 4, 2017
I had the displeasure of working at St. Vincent. Pay is terrible. While I understand that hours can be difficult, one thing they don't tell you is that if a person doesn't show up on his shift, you are expected to fill in that spot. They don't give a sht about their employees. Their turnover is so high that they are looking for people 24/7. In fact, they lost several therapists. In addition, they are in huge trouble right now since one of their high administrator quit. In addition, there are power struggles within the supervisors, which youth advocates can clearly see them. Overall, do not work at this place if you value your time.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
no breaks, terrible pay, terrible management
Terrible manners, unkind, & not respectful of an individual's time/gas.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 6, 2016
Today I had an interview with this company. I arrived and waited in the lobby for almost 30 minutes before the human resources director came out and she said "they were doing somethings, a lot of things and could not interview me". She also, said they would call me -- "if they wanted to reschedule". I could not believe the carelessness of the human resources director. In opinion, they already hired someone for the position back on Friday (July 1, 2016). In which, she first suggested that date, but my mother had just got out of the hospital so I opted for today Wednesday, (July 6, 2016). I also believe she forgot I was coming, because the woman at the front desk could not find my name on the schedule for today. So, basically I would be very skeptical about working for this company as it seems they do not have any organization and unapologetic as a result of.

Hopefully, this will not happen to someone else and they will at least interview the candidate when they arrive. I have years of experience and credentials-- So, I think it would be best that I never apply for this company again.
Pros
unorganized
Cons
working in Lansing and serving the community, maybe the only con!
Productive work place
Housing Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 3, 2016
First two hours of the day were spent writing case notes and collecting notes for day. The rest of the day was spent visiting clients in their apartments conducting home visits and housing inspections.

Caseloads were 30 plus clients of disabled homeless individuals, now housed, and home visits would go over goal setting to overcome barriers to achieve permanent housing. Goals would include education, income, counseling, substance abuse treatment, medical treatment, and other goals that would assist in achieving permanent housing.

This was my first case management role and what I found hardest about this position was separating the clients personal needs from their wants and how that effected their goal planning. It took several months, but I eventually learned that while it is important to include clients needs in goal setting, it is also important to remain practical.

I learned how to separate my personal life from my work life and how to keep work at work and home at home.
Pros
Short breaks and half hour lunch
okay place to work
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 9, 2016
The pay does not match all the job duties that are required and the responsibilities that you have.

I have learned a lot about dealing with kids and their different treatment plans
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Pay
good environment
Accounting Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 25, 2015
This is a good company; it is very organization, pretty quiet so it fit for accounting job. The co-workers are friendly.
Pros
I learned experiences about accounting
Cons
I had no paid
Everything was great
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 1, 2015
Great org to work for; really do a lot for families and children in the local area. Very proud of the things that STVCC does and to have been part of the group.
Not a place I would recommend
Several (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 30, 2015
A place to learn. Not a place to stay. Being a non profit they drastically underpay staff, compared to other positions in the community. Employees are treated as if they are replaceable. Management is not approachable, a big disconnect with the lower staff.
Pros
great vacation and sick time
Cons
everything else
its good enviroment
Preventative Health Liaison (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 26, 2015
its good place to work and if you work at St. Vincent Catholic charities you will gone learn a lot of different peoples. the agency it self feels like home
Pros
non profit
Cons
health care, vacation and sick times
It's ok
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 26, 2014
Working with the kids was the easy part. It was always a management issue. Some of the supervisors were horrible as well. If they didn't like you then you better believe that you would not last their long. They didn't care about you having a family because of people didn't show up to work or if they were short staff you might as well plan to get held over. One of the worst things ever because even i you decided not to take the hold over ten you would get written up. The only reason I would say the job was exciting was because of some of the people I worked with. Others were just plain nasty and rude.
Pros
Felixible, good co workers
Cons
high turn over rate, poor management, no opportunity for advancement
a place to learn about yourself and how to help children
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  lansing miOctober 14, 2014
A typical day at work is waking up the teenage girls and giving out their medication and getting them prepared for school. Once they are in school staff supervises them in the classroom.If there are any scheduled appointments we escort them there. When they are done ith school they eat snack and continue with scheduled programming such as therapy, yoga, book club, and group activities which help with team building. I have learned patience and how to care for those who are emotionally stressed. i have also learned that children deal with more than they should and they do not have a positive outlet or coping skills that will help them heal. Management could use a lot of work. they need to listen to their workers more about the treatment that should be provided to the children because we work with them 24/7. Also management should appreciate their workers more and acknowledge their hard work and efforts because it is a difficult job. My co workers are very supportive and we work as a team to provide the children with proper treatment. One of the hardest parts of my job is working with children that are beyond our treatment and need more than we can provide at our agency. Another hard part of my job is not having the chance to advance to a higher position, and not being appreciated for the work that i/we do. The hardest part of my job is seeing the many children that come into our care because no one loved them the way that they should have been loved, and they feel that no one will ever care for them because they are broken. the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that we  more... help someone in some small way, that they learned something and is using it in their future journey.  less
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
healthcare, management, high turn over rate with staff
It's a ok place to work.
Driver/Facility Worker/Furniture delivery-Pick-Up (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 26, 2012
I worked there part time while I was going to school. Management is ok. But over all I enjoyed my time there.