Founded in 1865, St. Vincent Charity Hospital is Cleveland's oldest private hospital, located in the heart of Cleveland's revitalized downtown. It is a not-for-profit hospital known for many "firsts" including the first successful open heart surgery, the first free outpatient clinic, the first school of nursing, and the first hospital-based treatment program for alcoholics. St Vincent Charity Hospital is a 480-bed acute care facility dedicated to its mission of providing quality, Catholic health care. The institution offers a broad range of services for inpatients and outpatients, and is noted for its cardiac surgery and plans for a Level II Trauma Center. It is owned by a partnership between the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and University Hospitals Health System.
It's sister facility, Saint Luke's Medical Center, just 15 minutes away, offers 24-hour, seven-day a week emergency services, an out patient health center, physician offices, laboratory and radiology. It's Solon Medical Campus, located in Cleveland's eastern suburbs, offers full-service emergency care, radiology and laboratory services and specialty physician offices.
The Hospital has served the Greater Cleveland community for 135 years and is undergoing a major renovation including a new state-of-the-art auditorium, which will enable surgeries to be viewed live via remote video-cameras in 2001. St. Vincent Charity Hospital was recently recognized for outstanding care and safety by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, earning 91 of 100 points - an achievement that is well above the national average – less