St. Vincent Family Center Employee Reviews

St, Vincent
Intake sorting files and filing back (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 15, 2017
Great review of problems and intake and outtake of problem patients.
The children do get a lot of counseling and interaction. Loved volunteering. Great experience!
Pros
great hours
Cons
Long paperwork sorting and filing.
You help a lot of kids but agency only cares about clients not employees
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohioNovember 2, 2017
If you are thinking about applying here, don’t do it! You will get paid better working retail! This is a very stressful job and the only way to advance in agency is by being friends with higher ups. Very political when it comes to advancement and very low pay for how much is expected of you.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Management, hours work life balance
Stressful work environment. lack of surpport from management.
Residential Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 14, 2017
The proper management is very important in establishing a supportive safe environment for both the clients and staff. The lack of proper training for the support staff makes for a hostile work environment
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No breaks, lack of support from management
Potential of Growth
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 10, 2017
St. Vincent Family Center was a great opportunity for personal and professional growth. I learned a lot about myself, and what it takes to become a great leader.
Fun atmosphere but little time for yourself.
CPST (Current Employee) –  All of Franklin CountyApril 18, 2017
I enjoy working for Svfc, but have a large caseload and by the time I get home for the day it is 7 (at the earliest) and I still have to make dinner, do laundry, etc. I feel like I don't have any time left for myself Monday-Friday.
Meaningful work
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2017
I feel valued in my position at the agency. I have worked her for a number of years and I feel passionate about the work that I do to help children who have suffered from trauma and are acting out their feelings negatively. I get the chance to make them feel valued and to teach them better choices and ways to express themselves. Staff are encouraged not to work more than 40 hours per week in order to maintain a healthy work/ life balance.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Hearing the impact of Trauma in Children
Unproductive work place
Adaptive Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2017
Too much work for no pay. No support from management. Extremely stressful environment. Think twice before applying. Not enough training to be productive on the job.
St Vincent provides many great resources to children and their families.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 22, 2016
I worked at St Vincent for over five years in an administrative support capacity. In that time I was able to connect with many of students, clients, and staff. Mostly everyone is there for the same reason. The person that heads the support staff, is unprofessional, inexperienced, and bullies those she supervises. Although, she herself cannot perform the duties of the staff she supervises. Many exit interviews have included all of the issues with this staff member and it has fallen on deaf ears. They provide great resources but the staff is ruining the place.
Pros
Great benefits, paid time off
Cons
Treatment of staff each other
Excellent and Supportive Place to Work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 18, 2016
Though I was shocked to learn about all the various programs and services that St. Vincent's provides to the community, this organization still feels like a family. People in every department work together and are committed to the mission to help make good kids better. I left a job that I loved to come here, and still have no regrets with my decision. I feel supported, I have a great team of coworkers, and the salary, benefits and perks are very generous here. We do work with struggling families and children with some tough behaviors, but we love what we do, and it's all worth it when you see the kids and families flourishing.
Pros
Supportive culture/ atmosphere, Generous salaries, perks and benefits, Enthusiastic and friendly coworkers
Cons
Emotional work with children and families
Stressful workplace
Adaptive Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 2, 2015
Shift Supervisors and some co-workers were friendly and helpful. The upper management were very rude and hard to work with. The work itself was not easy but, very fulfilling. I loved serving the community and helping the youth.
Opportunity to learn skills in the mental health field
Community Psychiatric Support Treatment Provider (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 19, 2015
Working at SVFC can be a challenge, but has a ton of opportunity for reward. Often, it takes a lot of time to see the benefit in the work that you do which can be disheartening. If an employee makes it through the learning curve challenges of the first few months, the reward of client success is extremely heart warming. The leadership is filled with compassionate people who are truly invested in the goal of making good kids better. Even with such a focus towards helping kids, every business still has a bottom line. The requirements that need to be met can be the biggest stressor for the job. Overall, the agency offers life experience that you cannot gain through education. It is hands on and applicable to many different levels and types of mental health and social work jobs.
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
unreliable cases
nice job to have if you have patience to work with behavioral kids
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 8, 2015
One of my most favorite jobs. I would love to work there again. I loved working with the kids. The job taught me a lot. I had the chance to connect with some of the young ladies that were going through the same issues I faced as a child
Pros
encourage education
Cons
facility does not work as a whole
Pediatric behavioral health
Behavior Specialist-Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 19, 2014
St. Vincent Family Centers provides high quality, specialized services for children with emotional and behavioral health needs. By helping children and families, St. Vincent Family Centers is strengthening our community one family at a time.
Every one within the company was friendly and great at supporting each other as team members.
St. Vincent Family Center
Community Psychiatric Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2013
do not apply here. Even if you are desperate. Do not apply here. They are terrible, wicked people and have no clue as to what they're doing
Cons
management
A day as an Adaptive Behavioral Specialist or teacher
Adaptive Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2013
If you except a job as an Adaptive Behavioral Specialist (ABS) here with what you should expect your day to look like. The pay is around 10 to 11 dollars an hour with a degree. You are not given a lunch break or any other breaks. The children are there year round so you will work even when school is out. This is also for charter room teachers who will work as an ABS during the summer. You get to eat a free breakfast and free lunch, but the food is not good. You are expected to be with the children from 8:45 to 3:30 each day and try to find time to complete all paperwork for each day. You will run 2 - 1 hour groups each day with your group and write notes for each child for each group. This is on top of other paperwork. You will be told that each classroom for school age is 1 teacher and 1 ABS per classroom except for the charter rooms it is up to 12 children. When school is closed you will still work, but you will be the only staff with your group. There is to be float staff to help out when clients are in crisis, but they are so short staffed it does not happen. You will get children from other groups when there is not enough staff to cover the classrooms. There has been a 75% turn over in staff since the summer alone. New staff are placed into rooms without complete training and this can be scary. You can not stop children from unsafe behaviors and the rooms are very crazy. You must find staff that is trained to come and help. The agency seems more active in getting money to build a new building. Appearances are everything when they are touring people through the agency.  more... As for benefits you will find that you get up to 120 hours of paid time off the first year if you start before July1 of each year. You will need this time due to the high stress of the job. If you are looking to get insurance Obamacare may be your best bet. The health insurance is very high with high deductibles. The supervisors are not approachable and at first you feel comfortable talking to them, but this changes quickly. Unless you work on gaining a master degree you will not advance in the agency. If you are looking for an easy job to get with loads of stress just to gain experience this is the place. You must love working with children that have very intense behaviors. If you like to be micromanaged this is a great place that says it is teamwork. (If you fit in, otherwise the team will not help). You will find that you are very micromanaged in each department.  less
Pros
Lots of paid time off
Cons
Micromanaged, Low pay, No breaks not even lunch, High priced health coverage

Comment – May 6, 2014

I wish I would have read this before I took a job with this agency.

A lawsuit waiting to happen!
Direct Care ABS Pre-School (Current Employee) –  Columbus OhioAugust 26, 2013
The management is cut throat! They are barely seen on the floor unless they are looking to spy on someone using one of the many observation rooms that they have and they Rarely offer to assist you when clients become escalated or unruly unless they just happen to be standing there and have no other choice (which is Very Rare).

Training is VERY limited. Don't be surprised if coming out of training your thrown directly into a problematic classroom with no further training right after you complete your very basic Crisis intervention class and CPR/First Aid coursework. Staffing is 2 staff per 11 clients. St Vincent claims that this is ODJFS compliant and this would be true if we were a day care facility! The client population is mental health though and you will typically have 3-4 Totally out of control clients in your classroom,so a staffing of 3 to 11 in those particular rooms is better suited for the conditions. Don't hold your breath though. The agency only cares about billing and the management mantra is doing less with Less!

Management instead of building you up as a direct care staff and creating trainings to improve your skills seek to destroy you. Their way of training you is to place you with a veteran staff (which is rare because of the high turnover) and that is how you learn to do the job.

The problem with this type of training model is that if your veteran staff is doing something wrong then you too will imitate what you've observed them doing whether it's correct protocol or not. YOU however will be the only person held accountable for that training
  more... though.

Management will document your short comings and as opposed to offering Real training solutions to help you improve yourself, they will instead put the burden of training back on you and document the incident and hold onto it in a personal file for months until they have enough infractions or accusations to pull you into a meeting with Human Resources and put some type of disciplinary or written warning in your personnel file. In the meantime you are CLUELESS that you've even committed any wrong.

A few of the clinicians are helpful but the lead clinician is devious and known for sabotaging direct care staff careers. She is quick to report any shortcomings that she may perceive of you but isn't so quick to self report when she makes a mistake of her own. All of the clinicians disrupt your classrooms by just arbitrarily dropping into your class to have a child scribble what is supposed to be their name on paperwork. They then leave the classroom and you have to regain control of 11 excitable kids. Most of our clients can't spell their name nor do they recognize it when they see it. These type of things can typically be done after group or at end of day!

The pay is really low. Most direct care staff with college degrees earn less than $25,000 per year unless they work overtime which you can only get on the residential side of the operation.

The Turnover is horrific ( 12 staff have either resigned or were terminated without Just cause in the last 3 months) Seven of those staff worked on the Pre-School side which is CONSTANTLY short staffed! If you like major bedlam, unsupportive management, low pay and unsanitary working conditions then SVFC is the place for you. I would beseech you to apply somewhere else if working with children is your passion. Hindsight is certainly 20/20.
Pros
Free lunch if you like eating tasteless food.Monday through Friday work schedules, Kid's with emotional issues that you easily get attached to. Dedicated direct care staff.
Cons
Constant shortage of staffing, High employee turnover, Management who are Punitive first and Training oriented second.
A rudderless ship with clueless captains.
Direct Care Staff ABS Pre-School (Current Employee) –  Columbus OhioAugust 24, 2013
The nurse and clinicians reviews are Bogus! St Vincent has hired 3 RN's within the last 6 months and ALL of them have resigned including the one who wrote such a glowing review in June 2012. The Clinicians are self serving and back stabbing. They stick up for themselves but seek to destroy anyone that they have a personality or philosophical treatment conflict with. They're quick to run and tattle tell to mgt about perceived wrongdoings of direct care staff but they aren't as quick to self report on themselves when they do or say inappropriate things. Direct care staffing is Always scarce and this has compounded by rapid defections ( over 12 staff resigning or being fired without cause within the last 2 months) Training for staff is limited to what you learn on the unit whether it's good or bad but management will hold YOU accountable with a straight face for training shortcomings that they observe ( or are told about because they rarely are seen during the day) and instead of trying to coach you up on your errors they will document the observation and save it in a file to spring on you in a disciplinary meeting months later without you ever knowing that you've done anything wrong! The board of directors and executive management know that things are Foul on the housing units but they don't have to deal with it so they don't care. They just go and hire somebody else for $11 bucks an hour when the money is available. Don't waste your time applying! If you want to work with kids. Go apply at Any other agency. Unless you like being underpaid and mistreated.
Pros
Free lunch if you like eating tasteless food, Monday thru Friday work schedules.
Cons
Extremely poor & self serving leadership, They would rather knit pick you about personality conflicts etc than coac
Great enviornment
RN - Nursing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2013
St. Vincent family center is a great place to work. I haven enjoyed every minute of my time here.
Strong Clinical Team
Therapeutic Clinician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 15, 2013
St. Vincent's has a strong clinical team that supports one another and provides leadership and guidance in order to support the children and families we serve daily.
Pros
clinical team
Cons
salary and benefits