St. Vincent Health Employee Reviews

There is no equality here
non clinical staff (Current Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 24, 2015
Pay for non-clinical staff is abysmal. No raises, no bonuses... at least not for hourly staff. With my pay, I qualify for public assistance, but the president of my hospital makes $550,000+ per year.

There are no pay scales, at least not that are accessible to employees. I just discovered that I am making 15% less an hour than a girl who has been here a year less than me, and we do the same job. If they find out you are comparing salaries, they will fire you. They don't want anyone to know what anyone else is making, that way we can't join forces and demand equality.

Management is untrustworthy and duplicitous. They are nepotic in the way they treat their employees, with friends of supervision receiving blatant special treatment and privileges.

It's nearly impossible to get a vacation, even if you have the hours banked, because they run such a low staffing level that they don't have coverage for you. Yet... management can take off whenever they feel like it. There is a big problem with employee turnover rates. As soon as people find something better (doesn't take a lot) they leave.

They will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat to keep a patient satisfied. The theme of working here is CYA. Document everything you do, because it WILL be used against you in the future, I guarantee it. Patients should be kept happy, but there also should be SOME level of loyalty to your employees, and there simply is not within this organization. They don't care how good of a job you do.

This isn't the worst job I've ever had but it's certainly not the best. I do believe it is the most unfair
  more... and unequal place I have ever worked.  less
Pros
great health insurance.
Cons
see my review
I've Learned So Much
Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 5, 2013
One of the things I enjoy most about St. Vincent Health is there is no such thing as a typical day. My job involves a great deal of variety and I enjoy that. As Facility Coordinator I am involved with many different types of situations including helping employees with various building issues, meeting new hires, and maintaining our Real Estate database. One day I might be planning an event and the next day I might be in a meeting concerning building security.

I have learned more at St. Vincent Health than in any other job I've had. I've learned about Property Management, Badging/Security, Leasing, Utilities, Building Maintenance and Occupancy and many other things. I am very lucky because I have amazing co-workers teaching me new things all the time. They have been more than supportive and extremely willing to share their knowledge with me.

I would say the hardest part of this job has been not having a clear definition of my role. In a sense, I created my own space here at St. Vincent Health, even helping to come up with my own title. I started taking on things for my Real Estate co-workers that they didn't have time to do because their workload was very heavy. I took the initiative to take on as much responsiblity as possible to ensure that the day to day operations ran smoothly and that my co-workers knew they could count on me for anything.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being hands on assisting with Property Management and being of service to all of the employees in our building. Knowing that people rely on me is a great feeling. People here at St. Vincent Health
  more... know they can depend on me for whatever they need anytime of day. That has been incredibly rewarding during my time here.  less
Pros
family-oriented, good pay
Cons
no benefits
Horrible place to work especially in Kokomo
Administration (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 27, 2015
I worked for the Kokomo location for several years in fear of losing my job. Everyone in administration knows how incompetent they are and stick together so they have jobs. I have witnessed every wrongful thing you can imagine including unlicensed health care workers working on patients, noone gets in trouble if you are a friend of someone in administration, but if you aren't they will find a way to get rid of you. Everything is completely outdated in all practices and operating procedures they do. There is no accountability for people and no rules are followed consistently. I think the other locations within St. Vincent Health are a lot better, just not Kokomo, Indiana one. There is no fair pay scales there. That place needs shut down or taken over with an entire new leadership and management team if it wants to stay in business.
Pros
Cons
Backstabbing, Doesn't think the laws apply to them, No confidentiality, Poor Management that no other facility would ever hire
Great place for me to grow, provide service, and interact with the top executives across the company.
Executive Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 12, 2015
WHAT I DO:
• Trusted thought partner and advisor to senior leadership
• Resolve conflict within any organization including external vendors and contractors
• Provide clear and accurate special results reporting
• Skilled at identifying profit improvement across all levels of an organization
• Special talent in simplifying complex issues for clear executable action steps and plans

HOW I ADD VALUE TO AN ORGANIZATION
• Delivering against objectives
• Identifying work environment strategies to increase productivity and employee engagement.
• Implementing practical solutions and measuring the business impact.
• Providing leaders with management information and analysis of trends and issues.
• Communicating complex programs and issues in a clear and concise manner with solutions.
• Contributing to project teams focused on organization-wide initiatives.
Pros
independent enviroment where i could work across the system to add value and solve problems.
Cons
no cons that i can think of. great place to work.
St Vincent Health
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 23, 2015
In a typical day I may speak with around 50 patients in regards to physicians billing. Calls range from submitting claims to insurance, telling patients why insurance didn't pay, process payments, send out bills and dispute charges. I learned alot about coding and how it can change the amount of a simple visit with your Dr. The hardest part was the brief training. It was very basic and management doesnt give reps the power to do some very simple tasks like issue refunds and etc. The most enjoyable part is being able to solve patients issues.
Pros
working for a reputable company
Cons
only a 30 minute lunch and 15 minute break consecutive, disorganization and short staffed
Where do I start.....
Pt. Rep. (Former Employee) –  Pendleton In.March 3, 2014
I worked hard and all I received was damnation. I really liked this job but it was the worst job and was heartbreaking for me. Still do not understand. Why would you hire someone and take them through all the training and then treat them with such disrespect. I do not recommend this place as a work place or hospital. Horrible. The CMA talked about the things the patient told her. Two of the workers clocked each other in and out. So many confidentiality info was abused. Not a place I would ever recomend....not with those type of workers. I will never understand the mentality of that office. So many illegal things went on there....I must of been a threat since I did not hang with them.
Pros
i really cannot think of any.
Cons
so many...
Fun, fast paced, awesome cowoerkers
CSR Patient Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 11, 2014
Take 80+ inbound calls from patient, insurance companies and physician offices to research and resolve issues. Initiate and complete 4+ medical record reviews.
Worked with awesome managers to resolve escalated issues. Coworkers worked as a team to provide exemplary patient service.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to keep the phone queue under 10 due to staff restrictions. The most enjoyable part of the job was that at the end of the day I know I helped at least one person have a better day.
Pros
patient, family oriented. great managers
Cons
not enough staff to keep up with calls
Loved the many responsibilities
Exec. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 3, 2014
Worked for 2 Directors, 5 Managers, 7 Supervisors and 102 Associates. Coordinated flights, meetings, luncheons and the lunch itself, scheduled multiple company Directors, and the proper control of sensitive personnel documents. Project Manager for the move of 102 associates to a new building. Conferred with Telecommunications, Moving Company, IT to ensure all PC's and phones were working properly to ensure no down time or loss of productivity. Many other duties.

I left for personal reasons.
Pros
favorite position
Cons
director divulged personal medical information (i almost died)
A typical day of a patient transport
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 23, 2015
A typical day at work as a transporter would start off by clocking in by thumbprint, then we would start our task once we got to our first patient, once we got the patient where they needed to go, if they didn't page us for another patient, we would call up to the desk to make sure there was not another patient to transport. With being a patient transport I improved my customer service, and I learned how to speak to patients. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I would go and speak to patients who did not have any family. I was able to be there for people who did not have anyone to be there.
Worst "Float" position ever!!
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 26, 2015
i recently worked as a float clinical assistant in a variety of offices. I have to say the pay was good for being a CMA but the management was terrible, short staffed, unorganized, be-littling, 2-faced for a supervisor..and I told her I decided to go back to school to better myself and my future. She pretty much said it was either my job or school!! I had high hopes working for SVMG..but ended up being used and abused. No respect!

Want to know more about St. Vincent Health?

Ask a question
Great organization to work for!
Community Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 16, 2014
Provided healthcare career presentations to grades K-12.

I've learned that more children and adults need to be informed of the many options in the healthcare field.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when I get to do fun science/biology experience with the younger kids. Their eyes, just light up!
Busy workplace,
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 16, 2015
Enjoy the job itself. It's a busy field, a mental job can be labor intensive depending on the task at hand. enjoy the co-workers we support and assist each other all the time. Be open to change.
Pros
gives alot of resource to other medical position
Cons
over worked and mentally exhausted
Nothing negative.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2014
Good co-workers. Competent supervisors for the most part. Improvements could be made with management saying hello to their employees occasionally. I had three supervisors and one manager. One supervisor showed initiation to be friendly to the office staff. Very good compensation.
Pros
good benefits, good co-workers.
Cons
management often seemed disinterested in employees.
Excellent opportunities
Manager, Durable Medical Equipment Supply Store (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INMay 5, 2012
At St. John's, need to get new blood in upper management. Overall good place to work. Good goals and expectations.
Pros
benefits, friendly nursing staff, excellent physicians
Cons
upper mgmt could use younger ideas/culture, old-fashioned rules/policies, ie. dress code
Great Opportunity
Admitting Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 12, 2014
Greets patients, guests, processes all outpatient and inpatient admissions, pre-admissions. Provide all physicians and nursing staff with clerical support. Maintain confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times. Adheres to organizational and department safety standards and guidelines. Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, visitors, and staff.
Medical Informatics Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 31, 2013
I really enjoyed working at St. Vincent the people were great. In my review it should have gotten perfect scores however, my computer would not let me rate it that way. I got along with everyone I worked with and for.
Great
C.N.A (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARDecember 23, 2013
My overall experience with this company was great. I got to meet many different people and I enjoyed the fact that I wasn't in your typical hospital setting. I traveled to the patients house and I got to visit many different places that I haven't heard of until becoming employed at VNA
Friendly, passionate employees
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2012
Overall, St. Vincent is a great organization at which to work. Employees seem cheerful and it is evident that they care very deeply about their work and the mission of the organization.
Pros
good work environment, sense of community
Cons
poor communication between departments
Interesting and exciting place to begin nursing clinical rotations.
Nursing Student Clinical Rotation (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 9, 2015
St. Vincent Health Network has been an excellent starting point for my nursing journey. I have learned a great deal during my clinical rotations at the facility.
Working as a consultant
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 27, 2014
I worked there as a consultant and even on my first day when no one knew me everyone said hello. The people there are all trying hard to see that the system is a success.