Stafford County Public Schools

Stafford County Public Schools Employer Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Teacher (Former Employee), Stafford,VAJuly 29, 2014
Pros: professional development opportunities; supportive building administrators and peers
Cons: teacher pay scale
This was my first teaching position. I really enjoyed working for SCPS. My peers and supervisors were very supportive.
It is a great place to work with a great staff at all levels.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Stafford, VAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: paid summer vacations
Cons: frustration with the pace of long term student progress
A typical day at work would include accompanying certain students to class to directly assist them with their assignments. The assignments are usually intellectual and physical (physical education). In many instances, social and learning strategies are implemented. It has been the most rewarding job I've ever had.
Some days its hard to keep a postive attiude with all the negative things and low pay
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Stafford, VAJuly 6, 2014
Pros: the other drivers and the kids
Cons: school board, some parents and the supervisers
Low pay for the risk you are taking,poor management,and equipment that brakes down alot
Ability to Positively Impact Students
Assistant Principal (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJune 8, 2014
My current workplace is an excellent place to work. I work closely with my administrative team. We have a truly collaborative relationship - that supports open dialogue. Each member of the team has strengths that are capitalized on resulting in school-wide success.
The most difficult part of my work is knowing that a child's ability to find success – more... is hampered by circumstances beyond their control. The most enjoyable is exercising my expertise in program development (example - creating a writing program to address weakness in writing scores on state standards); working alongside professionals who, like me, feel excited about the work we do and our impact on the future. – less
A day with Middle School Children
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Stafford, VAMay 17, 2014
A substitute teacher is required to perform the following:
- Manage multiple personalities
- Dispense discipline and rewards as required
- Follow and adjust lesson plans as required
- Maintain and adjust tasks as assigned
- Perform basic office tasks as assigned

The hardest part of the job is maintaining the teacher/student relationship and not becoming – more... the "friend" or "disciplinarian".

The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the students mature and learn. – less
great place to work and wonderful people.
Building Engineer (Former Employee), Stafford, VAApril 23, 2014
Pros: health insurance and vacation time
Cons: really short breaks or no breaks or lunch .
I maintain a verity of equipment from kitchen equipment, walk in coolers,walk in freezers, steamers. Building control, pneumatic controls,vav's, zone controls systems, repair replace faulty controls and maintain all HVACr equipment .
Easy job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Stafford, VAMarch 4, 2014
When I worked as a substitute I created my own hours and days. Perfect for a mom.
Learning about the USDA School Breakfast and Lunch Program
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Stafford, VAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: learning experience
Cons: pay
This is a very hard job, with very little pay. I learned how to batch cook, but there was no room for advancement.
Convenient with Children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Stafford, Va.August 14, 2013
Pros: no child care required
Cons: no benefits, not enough hours
This job was part time and I enjoyed the flexibility of being able to bring my children to work with me, I left because there was no room for advancement and I wanted to go back to school.
Teacher - Case Manager
Teacher (Former Employee), Stafford, VAJuly 8, 2013
Responsibilities closely parallel to those listed at Prince William County Public Schools.
Great place to work, loved my boss and coworkers
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Stafford, VAMay 24, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, off in summers, holidays, snow days
Cons: low salary, no room for advancement, not challanging
Great place to work. Fantastic supervisor and coworkers. Not a lot of room for growth. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with students/teachers on a daily basis and helping them with issues that came up. There was some office drama that I always tried to steer clear of. I liked that I could work independently and was trusted to get the – more... job done and do it correctly without a lot of micro management. My thoughts and ideas were valued and appreciated – less
Fulfilling Work
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VAMarch 26, 2013
Contract hours for a regular school day are 8:30 - 4:00, but most days the hours are usually 7:00 - 5:30. This does not include work that needs to be completed at home on a nightly basis. Most days are challenging, yet rewarding when you are working with 25 fourth grade students. The support from the administration was great and the openness that could – more... be achieved with both the principal and assistant principal was refreshing. For the most part co-workers are supportive and great to work with. The amount of trust and teamwork needed continues to grow, especially as the pressure of test scores and requirements increase. The hardest part of the job was teaching every year without receiving a step increase or raise even though the amount of responsibilities and curriculum continued to increase. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with young people and hopefully getting them to realize their full potential while seeing why hard work, integrity and treating people with respect will matter throughout the rest of their lives. – less
Good job close to home.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Stafford, VAFebruary 14, 2013
The best feature of working for a school district as a substitute teacher is having afternoons and summers available to fulfill family duties. Good work experience and provides current references.
I loved Stafford County
bus Attendant (Former Employee), Stafford, VirginiaFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: everyone and everything
Cons: having to leave stafford
I loved Stafford county I didn't want to leave but was getting a divorce and had to.
A very busy place to work
Third grade Teacher (Current Employee), Stafford, VANovember 23, 2012
Pros: great staff, established school with many wonderful families
Cons: no support from administration, few paraprofessionals to help in the upper grade levels, new demands placed on teachers and no time
A typical day consists of teaching lessons to the VA SOLS, classroom management to include behavior modification, general paperwork and grading, and meeting with the teaching team to discuss continued planning. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a teacher and the wonderful people I have been working with. The hardest part is that there are too many – more... demands placed on teachers and not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Teaching is not just a 9 to 5 job. The most enjoyable part is helping students to learn and discover new things. – less
A good school division
Computer Technician/Trainer (Current Employee), Stafford, VAAugust 1, 2012
Great schools and opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students.
Adminitrative Assistant II
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Stafford, VAJuly 10, 2012
Pros: great benefits for health, dental and vision
Cons: no promotion possiblilty in this position.
My job with Stafford County Public Schools is answering multiple line phone for not only my department but School Nutrition, Technology Repair as well as an outside contractor.
Check the School Dude work order system for work orders that may come in, assess them and distribute them to assigned personnell. I have had the opporturnity to implement the – more... School Dude program from beginning by entering data into the system. I have trained others in our school district to learn how to enter and assign work orders in different areas.
Also any duties that are assigned. – less
A very productive learning experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Stafford County, VAMarch 23, 2012
A typical day consisted of carrying out lesson plans and motivating
the students to accomplish their goals.
I learned how to achieve goals and be prepared to
deal with different attitudes and situations rapidly.
I enjoyed seeing students achieve their goals.
The hardest part of the job was keeping every student focused.
I learned how to work with other – more... teachers in trying to keep
the greater whole of the student body on track. – less
Productive workplace. Friendly coworkers.
Administative Assistant (Current Employee), Stafford, VAJanuary 30, 2012
Pros: good benefits and retirement plan
Cons: poor management at central office
Family oriented. Students are number one priority. Very supportive coworkers. Budget always an issue. Some state of the art technology.
Loved working with the students K-12
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), I worked all grades and schools K-12July 27, 2013
Pros: there was usually a planning time of at least 45 minutes in which you could take a breath.
Cons: you could work all day without a break
A typical day included arriving at the school before classes started, reviewing the teachers' plans for the day and ensuring that the students completed their assignments.
I learned that the greater the number of students in a class, the more difficult it is to control, that middle school is called middle school because the "tween" are actually trying – more... to decide whether they want to be babied or independent on any given day, that elementary school students will try you just as much as high school students will and that children can be our greatest teachers.
Co-workers generally consisted of other subs and the permanent teachers, which changed from school to school. However, my overall experience was positive and rewarding.
Trying to maintain control over little strangers for one day was definitely the most challenging part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to connect with and build a relationship with students to the degree that the next time they saw you, they remembered you, whether you were teaching them again or not. – less