Stafford County Public Schools Employee Reviews

not great pay, decent benefits
Driver Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stafford County, VADecember 27, 2016
The county is growing too fast. The school board and county are unable to keep up with pay for teachers ans school staff due to having to build and build.
Scps
Behavior Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAMarch 21, 2015
• Developed and coordinated behavior management programs to be implemented by special education teachers and teacher assistants within 6 elementary schools and 3 middle schools.
• Provided behavior support and crisis intervention, conducted psycho-educational groups, and taught social skills to students with emotional disabilities.
• Resource to administrators, special education teachers, and other professionals in developing and implementing Individualized Education Plans (IEP), Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA), Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP), and Student Support Team material.
• Facilitated and conducted Individualized Education Plan (IEP), Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA), and Student Support Team (SST) meetings.
Pros
Positive management, appreciation of staff
Cons
Lack of compensation, lack of diversity
Cooperative and Positive Work environment
English 8 teacher (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAJuly 24, 2016
Teachers were treated respectfully and encourage to teach using individual skills. Administration was supportive and generally quick to help/discuss any issues I might have had. Teamwork was encouraged and I felt valued as a team member, individual, and as an important member of the staff.
Pros
Class schedule
Cons
Working lunch
Adminitrative Assistant II
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAJuly 10, 2012
My job with Stafford County Public Schools is answering multiple line phone for not only my department but School Nutrition, Technology Repair as well as an outside contractor.
Check the School Dude work order system for work orders that may come in, assess them and distribute them to assigned personnell. I have had the opporturnity to implement the School Dude program from beginning by entering data into the system. I have trained others in our school district to learn how to enter and assign work orders in different areas.
Also any duties that are assigned.
Pros
great benefits for health, dental and vision
Cons
no promotion possiblilty in this position.
Great place to work, loved my boss and coworkers
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAMay 24, 2013
Great place to work. Fantastic supervisor and coworkers. Not a lot of room for growth. Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with students/teachers on a daily basis and helping them with issues that came up. There was some office drama that I always tried to steer clear of. I liked that I could work independently and was trusted to get the job done and do it correctly without a lot of micro management. My thoughts and ideas were valued and appreciated
Pros
flexible schedule, off in summers, holidays, snow days
Cons
low salary, no room for advancement, not challanging
Fulfilling Work
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 26, 2013
Contract hours for a regular school day are 8:30 - 4:00, but most days the hours are usually 7:00 - 5:30. This does not include work that needs to be completed at home on a nightly basis. Most days are challenging, yet rewarding when you are working with 25 fourth grade students. The support from the administration was great and the openness that could be achieved with both the principal and assistant principal was refreshing. For the most part co-workers are supportive and great to work with. The amount of trust and teamwork needed continues to grow, especially as the pressure of test scores and requirements increase. The hardest part of the job was teaching every year without receiving a step increase or raise even though the amount of responsibilities and curriculum continued to increase. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with young people and hopefully getting them to realize their full potential while seeing why hard work, integrity and treating people with respect will matter throughout the rest of their lives.
Awesome work environment but low wages.
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VA 22554May 2, 2016
Work days were good with students and staff. Administration and staff were very supportive. I learned a lot about team building and student support. The hardest part of the job was the lack of classroom management some teachers had.
Pros
Supportive administration
Cons
Low wages
Great job placement
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAMay 18, 2015
Although they offer a great deal of work opportunity, it takes too long to get paid. It takes about a month or more to get a paycheck. It also takes a long time to get into the system, but once you are in there, the opportunity to work is very great.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No stability or benefits
Fun place to work
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAMay 20, 2016
I loved working at the schools! It was a great place to work and a warm and welcoming environment. The administration was wonderful. I miss it, but the pay was very poor.
Convenient with Children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Va.August 14, 2013
This job was part time and I enjoyed the flexibility of being able to bring my children to work with me, I left because there was no room for advancement and I wanted to go back to school.
Pros
No child care required
Cons
no benefits, not enough hours
Productive workplace. Friendly coworkers.
Administative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAJanuary 30, 2012
Family oriented. Students are number one priority. Very supportive coworkers. Budget always an issue. Some state of the art technology.
Pros
good benefits and retirement plan
Cons
poor management at central office
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VANovember 9, 2015
I taught high school age students in "Technology Education." Some of the students were "at risk" population and some were not. I truly loved working with students but differed in my classroom policy with administration. I wanted every student to succeed and could not abide the necessity of having some portion of a class not succeed.
Pros
Students
Cons
Politics of Stafford Cty Public Schools
Professional, innovative, personnel builder, and fast pace
Developer/System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAAugust 24, 2014
Periodical team meetings to discuss system work flow and other projects. I grew confidence in software development. Management encourage education in software development. Co-workers were fun and innovative made the atmosphere enjoyable to come to work everyday. Creating software was the most enjoyable part of my career there.
Pros
The Organizations business ethics
A very busy place to work
Third grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VANovember 23, 2012
A typical day consists of teaching lessons to the VA SOLS, classroom management to include behavior modification, general paperwork and grading, and meeting with the teaching team to discuss continued planning. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a teacher and the wonderful people I have been working with. The hardest part is that there are too many demands placed on teachers and not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Teaching is not just a 9 to 5 job. The most enjoyable part is helping students to learn and discover new things.
Pros
great staff, established school with many wonderful families
Cons
no support from administration, few paraprofessionals to help in the upper grade levels, new demands placed on teachers and no time
Nice environment to work. Team work was emphasized here.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAJune 17, 2015
I worked with 2 other highly experienced teachers at my job sight in Stafford County Public Schools. We were supported and encouraged by our administration. I learned how to motivate students through allowing them to have and take ownership of their learning process. I wanted them to understand that I supported their learning style and uniqueness.

A typical day of work involved 3 classes and a planning period. Our team of teachers had separate rooms but connected which allowed for a steady flow of communication when necessary for planning and other related topics.
Ability to Positively Impact Students
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 8, 2014
My current workplace is an excellent place to work. I work closely with my administrative team. We have a truly collaborative relationship - that supports open dialogue. Each member of the team has strengths that are capitalized on resulting in school-wide success.
The most difficult part of my work is knowing that a child's ability to find success is hampered by circumstances beyond their control. The most enjoyable is exercising my expertise in program development (example - creating a writing program to address weakness in writing scores on state standards); working alongside professionals who, like me, feel excited about the work we do and our impact on the future.
Positive work environment, great staff/students/families, love making a positive difference in the lives of young children!
Substitute Teacher K-5 (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAJanuary 1, 2015
My time spent working in the public school system is wonderful. I love the challenge of reaching children that are on all levels of understanding and ability. I have learned to really pay attention to each individual and tap into the resources I learned in college, and my years of experience of working with children, to make each day a successful one. I have great respect for my co-workers and supervisors and appreciate how well we all work as a team. We all support each other and know it takes trust, commitment and a high energy level to be effective. The hardest part of my job is knowing that due to the high numbers in the classrooms, I am not always able to spend enough time on the lessons or give a lot of individual attention to the students who need it the most. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the light bulbs go off in the students heads when they grasp a topic or figure out something on their own. I also love engaging them in conversation about life and school experiences.
Pros
Shaping our future leaders, learning new things from co-workers, using my gifts to positively influence others, teaching young minds to work hard and believe in themselves.
Cons
Extremely low pay, high numbers in class sizes
A supportive and professinal company
Administrative Assistant-IV (Former Employee) –  Stafford COunty Public SchoolsAugust 27, 2015
Collaborating with each other to achieve the highest mark in excellence for the staff and community. As an administrative IV my role was to support the mission of human resources at Stafford County Public Schools.
Pros
Professional and supportive staff
Cons
NA
micromangemnt
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  TransportationOctober 15, 2015
just dont work here if you enjoy your sanity. Low Pay. On a plus side lots of time off and you can take your kids and grand kids with you.
insurance agent
Step Team Coach (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 8, 2015
Resolved product or service problems by clarifying the customer’s complaint; determined the cause of the problem; selected and explained the best solution to resolve customer concerns, expedited correction and/ or adjustment; followed up with customers to ensure resolution, retained customers on a normal basis, provided accurate information on company policies and services, used excellent communication skills to ensure customer satisfaction.
Pros
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stafford County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3