Stanford University Employee Reviews

Highly motivated and committed to exploring innovative research topics
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CaliforniaFebruary 4, 2014
A typical day as a research assistant at Stanford University heavily depends on the stage of a given research project. Performing literature reviews are crucial before designing any research project as reading relevant and recently published articles keep you informed recent developments in your field of research. Working as a research assistant includes collaboration of study design and format. We hold weekly lab meetings where Ph.D. students and faculty present their research at various stages, as peers providing constructive suggestions for improvement. Study materials, such as surveys, are constructed using Qualtrics, and are easily distributed via email. Other studies require strong interpersonal skills as we must approach participants in real world settings (i.e. train stations) and asking for their participation in a confidential study. I am also responsible for running studies on campus, often in a computer lab, where I brief students on the study they are participating in, and guide them through the necessary steps for participation completion Data entry can consume entire days, ensuring the data is entered correctly, proofing reliability to ensure data confidence, and cleaning and transferring data to Excel and SPSS requires immense attention to detail. Along with collecting and entering data comes analyses via SPSS software where we observe statistical trends our data, providing tangible results to prove or disprove hypothesis. Overall as a research assistant at Stanford I must be well read on all topics that broach our area of study, dedicate many hours to insurance  more... of data and study materials and always be prepared and receptive for last minute tasks and changes in ongoing research studies.  less
The Health Care & University Environment Were Empowering
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stanford Uinversity, Palo Alto, Ca.May 2, 2014
The first day I stepped on to the grounds of Stanford University I felt extremely blessed and just knew I was poised to be more than I was prior to becoming an employee. The senior leadership promoted individual contributions, and invested in my growth from an Emotional Intelligence perspective, constantly grooming me to become a visionary and a leader. I also loved the attention to spirituality and meditation.

My immediate manager did not hold the same values as the senior leadership; under that leadership my confidence was constantly tested and my decisions were undermined. That person was the hardest part of working for Stanford. I truly feel that without that person's presence stifling my growth, I would have reached a higher level of visibility at the University based on my likability, creativity, and strong ability to build meaningful relationships.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Stanford Technical Leadership Program I successfully completed, and had begun applying all of what I had learned to personal time management, and in the coaching and developing of the union staff that reported to me. There was so much opportunity for growth until I was rarely bored.

It is because of Stanford University that I am thriving in this new post employment venture I embarked up in social networking and radio. I will be forever grateful for all I learned, and my time spent there.
Pros
relationships, investment in development, encouraged individuality, valued the theme of a balanced life, great pay
Cons
immediate management auditing, immediate management separating themselves from obligatory responsiblities to devlope managers
Learning while being productive
Administrative Associate, Department of Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 11, 2015
My day in he Division of Pediatrics, Neonatology consist of provided administrative support to physicians and faculty members in Neonatal Division,handled all administrative tasks including travel arrangements, processing maintenance orders, and preparing and maintaining conference rooms for office-wide meetings and events.
Created, edited, and proofread documents ensuring accuracy, which included articles, invoices and presentations.Managed all office correspondence including answering phones, creating and maintaining filing systems, managing emails and office memos, and performing database entry. Managed financial and inventory control for the office, including monitoring office and lab supplies, and processing purchase orders and staff reimbursements. Arranged and set up meetings in the Lucille Packard and Stanford Hospitals. Stanford is a teaching school and in the Division of Neonatology there where different physicians working on different projects. For example, one of my doctors I supported (Dr. Vinny Bhutani) was working on a study with Jaundice at the time I had a new baby so a lot of the findings related to my new situation. I really enjoyed working for the 16 doctors I supported. The hardest part of this position was the constant change in office management. This was difficult because the new management did not understand the work I was doing or that the physician ask of me and I had to always explain.
Pros
Learning experience and great benefits
Cons
Change in Management
A Day at CISAC/Stanford University
Administrative and Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 24, 2013
My day would begin following up on previous tasks that have not been completed. Overlook all emails, make sure I have answered questions and/or direct individuals to the proper assistance. Go over financial monitors for all sponsored awards/grants. Review and approve all reimbursements, travel card and pcard expenditures and transfer journals. Check on our suspense account to see if any individuals labor schedules were not set up correctly and complete a labor distribution for all. I have learned so much about sponsored awards and grants. How to follow policy and procedures to ensure Stanford and CISAC were in compliance will all policies and procedures dictated by federal government. I have also gained experience handling labor schedules and distributions for human resources. I enjoy working with all the principal investigators and research assistants. It is a highly compatible relationship for our end goals. Hardest part of the job was to keep everyone on board. As each individual has his or her own way of processing information. However, with organizational skills and communication it became less of a problem. My most enjoyable part of the job is helping people. I find great reward in answering people's questions and seeing the end results.
Pros
given the ability to keep pushing myself further and further
Cons
training was not adequate. however, i found ways to help myself out.
Responsive management and public relations
Administrative Director (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 9, 2015
I worked in a contract position in this "temporary, half-time" position during the start-up phase of its funded development. I loved the personal and public relationships. A typical day was "whatever was needed."

My "co-workers" (because I believe in active teamwork) were other contractors and graduate and undergraduate student assistants. I determined needs for temporary personnel, trained, and managed as needs required.

The hardest part of the job was simply working much longer than "half-time" because of personal satisfaction with the work and because there was so much to do. There weren't enough hours in the day!

The most enjoyable part was delivering the message of the Lane Center, which was about the need of deeper study of the geographic, economic, and cultural development of the North American West. My role involved preparing and hosting seminars and public presentations about the Center, as well as advising students about the interdepartmental major in the field.
Pros
Learning new material and communicating with people
Cons
Funding. There was never enough to really soar as an organization within a bigger organization.
Inspiring, super productive, and exciting workplace full of bright, interesting colleagues with a passion for their work and a good sense of humor.
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 23, 2015
The most exciting part about this place, is that you learn something new every day. You get to work with smart people from all over the world who each have their own experience and expertise, and don't mind sharing it! This was particularly important for me because I hold a PhD in Chemical Engineering and was starting a post-doctoral position in Materials Science, so I had to learn a lot. But it proved to be a very exciting challenge that made me realize that you can do anything as long as you are motivated and persistent.
Of course, in research there are always moments that are tough, when you have performed the same experiment already a hundred times or tried to determine an unknown in already a million different ways. But then, the next day, you keep on trying and you succeed, giving you the biggest satisfaction ever!
At Stanford, creativity in research is highly supported and students are giving the opportunity to independently explore their talents to full extent. This is what I am seeking in my professional career.
My role at Stanford University
Student Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 4, 2013
I really enjoy the challenge and learning that comes with working in a large academic institution. I have 15 years of experience independently managing offices, personnel/ process management, and multiple projects simultaneously in high volume and changing environments. I take great satisfaction in knowing that the people I support can rely on me to provide excellent service with a high level of discretion and independent judgment. I also have supervised and worked with HR teams and supported them with training, employee relations, and managing work flow so it is as efficient as possible. Lastly, I enjoy and have relavent experience with event management, developing department and devision standards, and implementing new policies and procedures to ensure that faculty, directorate, staff, and their personnel are being provided the highest quality service.
Pros
work-life balance, great people, challenging work environment
Cons
dept. inefficiencies, poor management, poor job cards, lack of hr presence at dept. levels
One of the best jobs ever.
iD Tech Camps Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 2, 2014
A typical day at iD Tech is the most hectic, fun and exhausting day that anyone could imagine. It's only a summer job but you work 40-50 hours a week. While I was here I learned a lot about teaching, working with kids, working with other instructors and time management. Throughout the week I had to teach eight students from the ages of 7-10 how to make a basic video game. By the end of the week they could take their finished product home on a flash drive to show their friends and family. After one week of this class, the student will have learned functions in very basic programming (i.e. if and then statements). Multimedia Fusion Developer 2 is the software I used to teach these students how to make their video games. At the end of the week, all the students from the camp would have a raffle to win some prizes and a chance to pie an instructor in the face with whip cream or dump a bucket of water on them.

This job was definitely the best experience I've had while working and I have made a lot of great friends and memories while working there.
Fast pace, minimal rewards, deep management issues
Medical Simulation Technician (Former Employee) –  Immersive Learning Center, School of MedicineJuly 22, 2014
The ILC at Stanford's med school is known as one of the premier medical simulation programs in the country. They have a seemingly endless budget for equipment but suffer from severe staffing and management issues. Turnover is high, and for good reason.

This position affords the opportunity to work closely with brilliant and dedicated physicians, which can be very rewarding and sometimes fun. It does not afford much opportunity for advancement, recognition, or work-life balance. Four different people have held this particular position since the ILC opened in 2010, and only one of them is still working at Stanford.

Benefits are decent, although some can be difficult to navigate. Salary was very low in light of the amount of responsibility, specific skills required, and the extremely high cost of living in the area.
Pros
interesting work, intelligent colleagues, stanford name on your resume
Cons
micro-management, inflexible schedule, excessive meetings
Great reputaion, reality isn't quite so good
EE at SLAC (Current Employee) –  SLAC division (Menlo Park mailing address)February 29, 2012
I work at SLAC, a DOE funded lab ran by STANFORD

Your success and happiness greatly depends on what department or division you work in. You can be treated as a valued contributor to the lab's success or you can be treated as a mere hired hand. Management is sort of bipolar: they stay out of the way (sometimes good, sometimes not so good) or they are constantly pestering you with conflicting requirements.

A great deal has changed in the last few years. We, thanks to the DOE and the present director's desire to please the purse string pullers, are becoming a totally safe, demoralized workplace. Site-wide layoffs in recent years as well as small "stealth" layoffs contribute to the adversely changing nature of SLAC.

Had I known that SLAC was going to go down this route, I would have left years ago. Oh well, I'm looking for new opportunities now.
Pros
generally good benefits, educational benefits for an employee's children
Cons
poor growth / promotion opportunity, employee educational benefits
Be Careful Where You Work at Stanford
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo AltoDecember 9, 2014
Stanford is a beautiful place to work and there are a lot of talented people to learn from. Many training opportunities and good benefits. Felt the work/life balance was good. However...

The culture of the department I worked in was very toxic. Very hierarchical and slow moving. The management team seemed to dislike and distrust each other and this poisoned the working relationships between many of the other staff members. Department was incredibly siloed, with little collaboration among program teams. The management team lacked vision and strategic planning skills - nor did this appear to be a priority.

From the many positive reviews on Stanford, this toxicity doesn't appear to be universal across the University, but do your homework on the department your interviewing with prior to taking a position.
Pros
beautiful place to work with talented people to learn from, many training opportunities, good benefits.
Cons
department politics, poor management, hierarchical.
Wonderful benefits, but difficult for staff members to advance
Faculty Affairs (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 8, 2014
As a staff member, it can be an exceptional treat to be around people who are at the top of their fields and who are making world-class discoveries. The flip side of the coin is that in an academic environment, faculty members rule the roost -- whether or not they have appropriate management skills. At times, I've seen skilled, well-educated staff members put down or not allowed to advance forward in their careers due to mercurial decisions made by faculty. Some faculty run amazing workgroups, and some don't -- do your research during your interview process before you join a given department. Stanford has excellent benefits, including staff training reimbursement. Work-life balance is publicized a great deal, but in practice varies from department to department.
Pros
health benefits, gorgeous campus, caltrain pass, training/education reimbursement plans
Cons
some faculty are brilliant, some are brilliant and mercurial..and some just mercurial
Msmc Fitness
MSMC FITNESS CENTER (Former Employee) –  los angeles caJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at the MSMC fitness center included, answering phones, cleaning gym equipment, interacting with members and maintaining a functional work environment. I loved my co-workers, we had frequent meetings that would become team building meetings. We had a lot of fun and at the same time got the job done. My managers were really nice and were willing to teach at any moment. Very understanding women which made it less intimidating when i first started. I learned a lot from this job, I was really shy and by the time I stopped working I was vibrant, Loud and personable. The hardest part of the job would be telling people that they were not able to enter the facilities with what they had on, oftentimes the student would get frustrated and we would have to stand firm with our policies. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around great people in a learning environment.
Pros
advancement possible
Cons
short shifts
It was great working with such gifted scientists.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 11, 2014
A typical day at Stanford University is going in to work and managing a professor's life in terms of scheduling their day, making travel arrangements, assisting in preparing grant, and also interacting with postdoctoral fellows from all over the world! I have learned that being patient is the great virtue one could possess as I have watched scientists take years to complete one paper for journals such as Nature and Science. My coworkers all loved working in academia and most of the people that I worked with at Stanford have been around for years! The job required a high level of intelligence and being a quick-change artist as your planned tasks for the day could change quite suddenly. Stanford University is a wonderful place to work!!!
Pros
free commuter passes.
Cons
hard to get around campus quickly as it is so big!
The Benchmark - Transformative - Enlightening
Stanford Management Company - Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 18, 2014
Professional, engaging, purpose driven, challenging, rewarding, motivational, uplifting, energizing, creative, cerebral, amusing, and so many more adjectives filled each and every day of my work with Stanford. Working in that environment day in and day out is like no other, I learned so much, grew so much professionally and personally. I was challenged to be the best version of myself I could be on a daily basis.
Do I miss my manager and my colleagues at Stanford? Certainly. Now my job is to pay it forward and keep learning, growing and improving.
Pros
covered parking! amazing campus, stellar management, casual run ins with malcolm gladwell or mark zuckerberg, parking next to condolezza rice... etcetera.
Cons
rush hour traffic on el camino / foothill exp / sand hill rd... and watch out for all the freshmen!
A very high energy atmosphere
Residential & Dining Enterprises, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 9, 2013
There are always new challeneges coming your way, working at the University is like no other typical construction projects that you are commonly used to as far in the construction industry.
At first you will hear a lot of "That is not how we do trhis here at Stanford"
This place has a lot of learning curves, protocals, people/contacts to learn, but once you have hurdeled that it is a realy nice place to work at.
Everyone is friendly and compassionate about their duties to where you will feel like you are all on the same page and reaching the same goals, also, everyone here are respectuful and professional which makes for a really enjoyable work place.
Pros
respectful work enviroment and professional
Cons
currently a temp worker, would like to be a "full time employee" fte
A university
Associate Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 1, 2013
• Actively consulted major gift fundraising staff on high net worth alumni by analyzing biographical and financial information among prospect donors, and advised senior staff on targeted cultivation and solicitation strategies.
• Analyzed market fundamentals and led capital markets research to consult the major and principal gift fundraising team on lucrative industries, recent IPOs, M&A activity and executive transitions to identify prospects with major gift capacity.
• Conducted a three-part training series aimed at educating the fundraising staff on how to use Blackbaud, a modeling and data analytics provider, and identified 2,500 new prospects.
• Supervised assigned staff including training researchers, promoting career development and hiring new staff.
Great staff and sense of community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 2, 2013
Large organization, somewhat unwieldy.
The Department of Public Safety is a serious department that oversees the safety of the campus community.
In the Records Department I reviewed officer cases and entered information into the department's database. Record-keeping is a fundamental part of the organization. All activities of this police department are public records and copies of cases were provided to the public with redacted confidential information.
My co-workers were dedicated and hard-working.
The hardest part of the job was doing 12 things at once well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was participating in events on campus and being able to take classes.
Pros
gorgeous campus, great staff
Cons
required work on weekends, lots of politics to navigate.
Productive with a positive environment
SEP Special Event Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Typical day at Stanford University Department of Public Safety: 7am-4pm day shift, morning briefing with all staff before sent out to our assignments, shift prep includes; dressed in uniform, equipment ready, role call, sign in, vehicle checks, and write daily reports.

Enjoyable part is the environment of my work place, being outdoors, and reporting any suspicious acts on campus. Hardest part is the influx of assignments, sometimes its hard to keep up with different assignments, but I am a quick learner, I adapt quickly.

Co-workers are all very experienced, I always learn something new everyday with my staff. They are great supporters. I never have a problem asking questions.
Pros
schedules are flexible
Cons
no benefits and only on-call, i need stability
Exciting, place to work and learn
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 19, 2014
Fun fast-paced work environment with so much to learn daily. I learned how to work properly in a dining hall kitchen for a university. I learned to prepare meals of many different cultures use spices and seasonings I had never used before. All of my co-workers were amazing, warm and friendly. I made some new friends there and it was an awesome experience. I think the hardest part of the job was having to throw away so much food without being able to give to those in need. The most enjoyable aspect of this job was getting to meet the students and establishing great relationships. Seeing the look on the students faces at the amazing food prepared for them to eat.
Pros
meeting new people, experiencing new foods
Cons
not enough hours

4.3