Stanford University Employee Reviews

Fun work environment.
Administrative Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 17, 2017
I really enjoyed working on campus because you were able to be involved with alot of the new futuristic ideas that were evolving in the silicon valley.
took down our kids photos
Interim Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 16, 2017
It was like working in a dungeon, the coworkers, MDs and PHds were awesome, and so was the cutting edge medicine. It was rewarding contributing to revolutionary techniques that saved peoples' lives
Pros
the vets
Cons
the management
Fun place to work at. Intelligent people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 7, 2017
My typical day working was doing administrative tasks. Assisted in managing spreadsheets, creating property control inventory records, filing, and much more. Management was ok. The most enjoyable part of the job was the cafeteria. Also, working with a bunch of Physicists. These people were absolutely Brilliant. My boss was an 80 something-year-old Nobel Prize Winner Physicist. He was very friendly.
Pros
Great people. Highly intelligent people to work with. Great company.
Cons
No comment.
Excellent work enviroment
Laboratory Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 2, 2017
Enjoy working with students and Co workers. and Good Benefits, always there are many opportunities for advancement, very nice people both Co workers and Students,
A great place to study and conduct research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 28, 2017
Stanford is a great place to work as a postdoc.
Although the cost of living is kinda insane in Bay area, Stanford provide better salaries than other universities.
Stanford also provides great resources and platform for postdocs to conduct top-tier research and encourages collaborations.
Pros
Great resource and lots of talents
Cons
Cost of living is too high
Graduate School of Business
Media IT (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Working at Stanford is more like adjusting to the culture. Everyone is very smart and kind to interact with. It really depends on what your job entails? Best part of working if you're full time is the free access to public transportation. Since this is a progressive campus, they don't support people commuting to work via car.
Pros
Free transportation on campus
Overall Great Organization
Faculty Administrator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 19, 2017
There are so many interesting departments and programs to work for at Stanford; each of which, have very different cultures. Stanford offers fantastic benefits including, medical, dental, wellness incentives, free public transportation and tuition reimbursements. Stanford does have a reputation for low salaries and difficulty with promotions and advancement. Also, it can be very difficult to find good managers that care about your development and want to see you grow. Administrative roles tend to be a very invisible job. Stanford on your resume, it is very easy to always have a career with Stanford.
Pros
Great benefits and lots of interesting things to do on campus (Lectures, art, events)
Cons
Low pay and lack of advancement
Very professional and well run
Lead biometric health screener (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Working for the University of Medicine at Stanford has been such a great experience because of the professional employees, advanced technology, and friendly atmosphere. A typical day at work is very busy and exciting because everyone is happy to be there because they enjoy what they do. I learned time management and how to communicate more efficiently with patients. The management that I have been involved with is very professional, organized, and they respond promptly. My co-workers are great because we all work hard together and help each other out when needed. The hardest part of my job is when I have to inform people of information that is hard for them to hear. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing people satisfied with their care and educating people about their health.
Great job stability, paycheck and benefits. Not so great for growth in career.
Administrative Associate III (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Overall, Stanford is a great place to work as far as stability and a steady paycheck, not to mention the wonderful benefits the University offers to staff. From experience in two positions at Stanford, growth and advancement was not offered to me in two different departments. Speaking with others throughout campus, it appears that this is somewhat accepted as the 'culture' for certain positions at Stanford.

My co-workers were all in all a great group of people. Most of them are close friends now.
Pros
Great benefits, fantastic work/life balance, steady paycheck
Cons
no room for advacement, growth is hard to come by
Stanford Medical School
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 5, 2017
collegial, friendly, interesting technology, always able to work remotely when needed, minor issue: some "looting" of staff from one project for another, so planning is disrupted
Pros
collegial, friendly
Cons
some "looting" of staff from one project for another, so planning is disrupted
SLAC is research at its highest form.
Rigger Specialist (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJanuary 3, 2017
Working for SLAC was one of the best jobs I have ever had, they offer great benefits, a great work environment to learn and grow. The experience will last a life time and follow me everywhere.
Pros
It's research
Cons
It's research
It's a nice place to work if they remember to practice Ci Care.
Authorization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is when a patient walks out of the hospital or clinic feeling that we have done everything possible to answer all their questions and they leave feeling more knowledgeable
about their condition and feeling secure.
Cons
At times not able to take your full lunch
Gain experience but move on
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 19, 2016
I value my work experience at Stanford. I had good co-workers and some interesting projects. However the politics are brutal. People who have worked there for decades run the show and suppress new ideas and a faster pace. Opportunities for advancement are non-existent, even for someone like me who receives raises and bonuses every year. I think it's a good place to gain experience and then to move to a company that values and rewards employee contributions and innovations.
Pros
gaining experience
Cons
advancement and politics; lack of innovation
Courses taken usually well-run and informative
student (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 30, 2016
I enjoyed my coursework. Some courses better than others-depends on who teaches them. I will consider taking courses there again in the future. Especially if someone else pays for them.
A pleasant place to work
Accounts Representative/Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 15, 2016
Working for Stanford was a great experience; I learned a lot with the hospital billing systems that we used in patient's clinic and hospital visits; Our Team Leaders; co-workers and higher management were great; Trying to achieve what Stanford stands for is always hard but through hard work and dedication it was a great experience; At this great farm I witnessed that the holiday and Christmas seasons always brought us together as the most enjoyable part at our Stanford family
Pros
on site cafeteria; flexible schedule
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 10, 2016
Stanford is an amazing place. They provide good compensation, benefits, work life balance, growth, and you get to work with some amazing staff and faculty.

I would recommended Stanford to anyone. Cost of living though is quite high.
Good work environment, fostered a great community on campus
Summer Session Resident Assistant/Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 5, 2016
Was a resident assistant in the dorms during summer quarter. Had flexible hours, but demanding when on the clock. Co-workers and supervisors were great.
Pros
free Housing and Dining
Cons
Have to resolve many conflicts
Great work to place. Inspiring and smart people
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 4, 2016
I've worked here for a few years. It's truly is a a great place to work and learn. A small team setting makes it challenging for me since you have to start building things from the ground up. You'll get a lot of support and can follow the direction that you wish to pursue.
Pros
Support learning, challenging projects
lots of positive energy for the kids
Day care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAOctober 10, 2016
They provide many materials to make art projects possible for the children the environment is very controlled so things don't get out of hand, and the co workers are very nice
Surrounded by excelence but little room for advancement
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 7, 2016
Stanford can be a wonderful place to work depending on the work environment in your division. It is a large organization but there is little interaction with peers in other divisions and little room for career advancement. Working in an understaffed department leads to burnout.
Benefits
Cons
Limited career advancement, High turnover, burnout

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stanford University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3