Stanford University Employee Reviews in United States

Great wellness and commuter perks for employees
Sr. Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Student AffairsApril 3, 2016
Stanford University provides excellent wellness and commuter benefits/programs for its staff. Free Caltrain and GO pass for all public transit bus options. Free shuttles to and from campus to caltrain station in Palo Alto. Free shuttles/buses to east bay for commuters.

Easy and convenience wellness screenings for all regular staff. financial incentives for those who participate in wellness programs.

Child Care subsidy grants in addition to dependent day care spending accounts available for all qualifying employees.
Professional, yet down to earth work environment!
Events Coordinator/Audio & Video Technician (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 12, 2015
I enjoy working for Stanford University and with my team! Everyone is professional, yet down to earth, and seems to have a good balance with their career and home life. My manager and team is awesome, and they take the time to educate one another. The culture is upbeat and positive. If you'd like to become a permanent employee, consider applying to Stanford University directly, rather than through Stanford Temps.
Pros
Clean campus, shuttle to transit, social gatherings on campus, creating a warm and friendly work environment
Cons
Prefers to hire through Stanford Temps, which makes it difficult to qualify for medical benefits.
Great Company
Web Administrator/ Journal Production Editor (Current Employee) –  655 knight way, Stanford, Ca, 94305January 23, 2016
I've enjoy working here but not always competitive pay with Silicone Valley. They have helped advance my career in many ways
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Benefits, Time off, Training
Cons
Pay
Big organization that needs to make some changes
Finance Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 9, 2015
Professional organization that offers good work life balance and decent benefits package. A lot of opportunities for professional development, how ever too many levels of management, and to many obstacles for growth within organization. Does not promote internal talent. The interview process is very extensive, long (can take 3 month to a year) and very ineffective in terms of employee retention.
Pros
some benefits
Cons
Beurocratic
Registrar
Registrar/Insurance Verifier (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 23, 2015
I LOVE working with the public and helping people. I really fit into this position and it has been a big benefit for me just for those reasons. However, when big corporations take over and do not take care of there employees it can be draining. Made many, many friends here and really enjoyed my job as a Registrar.
Pros
Helping others, friendly people, healthcare
Cons
Benefits, and pay
very nice place to work
Animal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 8, 2015
fun place to work with doctors,student and coworkers.the work place nice,people are always high educated which is nice to work with..
Pros
nice place, a lot of ot and hoiliday pay.good benifits..
Cons
very strict security and holiday work.
Nice location, tons of resources, a nice work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 20, 2015
Stanford is great, but given the type of work, the work/life balance can be skewed. Also, Given the prices in the bay area, the salary isn't that great.
Computing Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 12, 2015
Wonderful place to work and great benefits. Great programs to balance work and life, wellness. Highly recommend this place to work.
Medical Records, Document Imaging, very busy enviroment
ROI Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJune 20, 2016
receiving Faxes from doctors office and date stamping over 200 request a day. Sort the mail daily, deliver mail. receive doctor request via email would have to scan all document In a PDF format and send to Georgia. The job was a good learning experience. my co workers were nice we got alone well. The mail was a hardest part of the job because during holiday it would be a bundle and the mail had to be sorted and date stamped.
Pros
Their was never not a busy day.
Cons
so busy sometime you would forget to take a break.
Enjoyable place to work
Electrician/Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJuly 13, 2015
Receive and complete job orders in estimated time
Start day with work planning and control and implament into daily jobs.\Get approval from building managers to proceed with work.
Learned many new skills with electrical and installation. Various training courses.
Management was fair
Co-workers were always easy to get along with
Job didnt have any difficult avenues
Worked with good people and good enviroment
Pros
Great benefits and pay

Want to know more about Stanford University?

Ask a question
great soul fulfillment when driving guest to and from hospital
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 30, 2015
I would not recommend this job to anyone who has a genuine personality. I feel disillusion and heart break towards this position.
Pros
Full benefits from the first day of hire along with Stanford perks
Cons
negative unwelcoming standards from coworkers
Horrible place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  EngineeringJuly 7, 2016
I would not recommend Stanford to anyone I know and care about. This is a horrible place to work, with HR in Engineering being the very worst. Do you work in Engineering period. Some of the department managers are the worst people I have ever encountered. Stay as far away from Engineering, especially the Deans Office, as possible.
fun, fun, fun
Food Service Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 11, 2015
I enjoyed working at Stanford so much I looked forward to going every day. I met so many people from all over the world and the experience was great. I established great friendships, many of which still exist today. Stanford was the most rewarding job I've had.
Pros
Free uniforms/lmeals, great benefits/pay, union job
Brilliant General Maintenance (alongside Resident & Dining Enterprises)
temporary staff-housing custodian at Stanford (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 28, 2016
On a typical day with Brilliant General Maintenance, in my conditions, consists of myself & other temporary custodians being assigned under a Resident & Dining Enterprise custodian ( usually one whom we've worked under before ) who directs us & works with us within their own Stanford Resident & Dining system. For the most part, the responsibilities & tasks lay in the realm of setting beds, preparing rooms for guests, cleaning the dorm houses & showers, & ,overall, maintaining the well-being of the dorm house & satisfaction of the incoming & outgoing guests. As for the Resident & Dining Enterprise custodians with whom we work with, they are all extremely helpful, friendly, & aren't afraid to completely lead by example. These lone traits have certainly taught me so much about taking on responsibility in order for the whole "team" to prosper. Overall, I would say that my experience at Stanford has been absolutely amazing & influential on me thus far in my career. Through the people with whom I work under & alongside, I can honestly say that I've truly begun to grow strong leadership traits through their mentorship & guidance.
Pros
Helpful leaders, Friendly environment, Non-strenuous workload, highly-efficient work system
Cons
Spanish to English Language Barriers
Intellectually stimulating environment to work in. The campus itself is beautiful and accessible.
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 9, 2016
Stimulating and exciting educational environment. Great opportunities to contribute intellectually. An extremely gifted student population. This educational environment could benefit from increasing the diversity of the student population in some educational areas.The campus itself is a very attractive physical environment.
Pros
Attactive campus
Cons
Could increase emphasis on diversifying student population.
Intellectually stimulating academic research environment.
Director of Communications (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 17, 2016
Working in a world-class research and clinical care facility was one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. The faculty were great to work with.
Pros
Great research to write about.
Cons
Often 80-hour work week.
Nice place to work if you can navigate through the politics
Disablity Access Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 16, 2016
Nice place to work if you can navigate through the politics. Some micro management style assist, and not very easy for promotion.
Pros
tutition assitance program great for an employee
Cons
medical ebenfits if you retire prior to the age 65
Be Careful Where You Work at Stanford
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo AltoDecember 9, 2014
Stanford is a beautiful place to work and there are a lot of talented people to learn from. Many training opportunities and good benefits. Felt the work/life balance was good. However...

The culture of the department I worked in was very toxic. Very hierarchical and slow moving. The management team seemed to dislike and distrust each other and this poisoned the working relationships between many of the other staff members. Department was incredibly siloed, with little collaboration among program teams. The management team lacked vision and strategic planning skills - nor did this appear to be a priority.

From the many positive reviews on Stanford, this toxicity doesn't appear to be universal across the University, but do your homework on the department your interviewing with prior to taking a position.
Pros
beautiful place to work with talented people to learn from, many training opportunities, good benefits.
Cons
department politics, poor management, hierarchical.
People here are passionate and caring, the work ethics are valued.
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 19, 2016
While working here, I learned to appreciate the art and skill of Phlebotomy like never before. The environment is positive and energetic.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Over night shift
Very compassionate person
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
He treats everyone like they are important. He always acknowledges that you are in the room. Lots of ways to find out about what's going on in the City of San Jose.
Pros
Cons
Very hard to get on board

4.3