Stanford University Employee Reviews

this is a review summary
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  StanfordSeptember 18, 2017
the place to work was a place to work this is interesting particularly in light if the semantic contact at symantex. I like goretex and gorp and gorillas and gangrene killed a character in a hemmingway story i believe. Was it snows of kilimanjaro?
Excellent place for collaboration and experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 16, 2017
I was a research associate helping a PhD student with her research. I worked with her and 5 or 6 other research associates. We performed literature reviews, designed experiments, wrote those experiments into Qualtrics, coded data, and processed the results.
Good job, horrid commute
Community Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 15, 2017
Working at Stanford was a prospect I relished, however once in the job I quickly learned the commute (1.5 - 2.0 hours each way on average) was too much for me to handle.

I highly recommend Stanford as an employer, however I also recommend thinking it over very closely if you do not live within 10 miles or so from the job site as both driving and taking transit can be a MAJOR undertaking.
Pros
Work atmosphere, coworkers, benefits and pay.
Cons
Challenging commute.
Community Manager for ResEd
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 14, 2017
I was a community manager for the house I lived at, a position only available for students. It was a great job that had its own set of stresses, but those mostly came from self-inflicted pressure to do a good job for the community I was part of.
Student Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 13, 2017
Good company to work for, great benefits and atmosphere. Parking is tough but overall it is a great place to be. Campus is very nice and so are the people.
Cons
parking can be tough
Productive and meaningful workplace
Title IX Hearing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 13, 2017
Stanford is dedicated to employees and students. I love the work I do here! Title IX is on the cusp at the moment. I like being part of creating the process and procedures for our students!
Pros
My manager
Cons
Job growth
Excellent place of employment
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 11, 2017
My work at Stanford University spanned over a 30 year period. My advancements in 5 positions throughout those years only got better each time I moved on. The culture, diversity, and student life was exhilarating and educational. Stanford U. offers *many* opportunities for a rich and fulfilling career. I can not say enough great things about this place of employment.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities, life-long career.
Cons
Parking.
Nice to work
Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 8, 2017
Nice place to work
Get more chance to learn new technology again depends on Manager you worked with
Work Professional
Played with more data and got change to work with business users
R&DE IT is not the place work
Sr. User Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 6, 2017
Stanford as a whole is a great place, however there are certain groups to stay away from R&DE is one of them. Hands down this was the worst working experience in my career, very unprofessional group of people in IT and very cut throat. Everything you do is scrutinized. Avoid this group at all costs.
Pros
Pay, Benetifts, Time Off, Huge discount on Dining halls
Cons
Unprofessional cut throat staff in IT
Stanford
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 5, 2017
Position too manual and administrative. Not very collaborative. My team is very siloed, and management does not know job duties. They expect more than what can be delivered
Pros
Great organization
Cons
Administrative
Great Place to work.
EXECUTIVE ADMINSTATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 4, 2017
Great environment that promotes learning and advancement with great benefits. Stanford can be a complex environment and there is a lot to learn. Candidate should be willing to invest time on learning resources.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lots to learn
Everyday we are making a positive difference in the world.
Workforce Attraction Talent Acquisition Lead (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CASeptember 2, 2017
Working at SLAC a National Department of Energy Lab operated by Stanford, is a learning experience everyday. It is a beautiful safe place to work, environmentally responsible. However, the Human Resources Development and Services management is clueless as to how negative they impact the organization. The HR organizations culture is demeaning and abusive.
Pros
Brilliant colleagues, excellent benefits and good salary
Cons
HR Management is clueless, no engagement with their own people.
Management was open and fair on a personal level as well as business level.
Medical Records Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 1, 2017
I believe a job is what you make of it. I worked very hard for the accomplishments made at this establishment and would be enthusiastic about returning.
Pros
Pot lucks and weekend outings.
Cons
Short breaks and no benefits.
Educative
Research Assistant in Statistics Lab (Former Employee) –  StanfordAugust 25, 2017
Being exposed to a lot of big data processing and machine learning modeling. Professors are very helpful and guided me a lot while I met bottlenecks. ..
Amazing place to work, awful cost of living
Lecturer, Program in Writing and Rhetoric (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 23, 2017
Stanford University is a fantastic place to work, but the cost of living in Silicon Valley has skyrocketed so much over the past 12 years that it's impossible to live here anymore on a lecturer salary if you reside here alone. So sad that I need to relocate.
Pros
Endless opportunity for professional growth
Cons
Cost of living is prohibitive
Work Life Balance opportunity to grow infinite
LEVEL III IT LEAD SUPPORT PERSON (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 20, 2017
Constant on the go with users!
Days went by like they didn't happen!
Learned management, better written skills, time management, personable relationships.
Culture was like everyone was family!
Learning to prioritize in the beginning!
The people, I loved them all!
Pros
Time off, Work life balance, guidance from supervisor
Supportive Dean of Students
Office Assistant for Educators (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 19, 2017
My experience as an Office Assistant at Stanford University was very positive. The professors and administration were supportive and mentored the staff in a friendly and professional way.
Pros
Professional, supportive envrionment
Cons
Not what I expected at all!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 15, 2017
I thought this was going to be a fairly traditional EA type position, but I was in for a big, rude surprise!
This is the most bureaucratic, procedure-driven, complicated admin job I've ever had. Every little thing takes 5 times as long to complete compared to any other job I've had. The bulk of the job involved tons of expenses to process in different departments, and it was very complicated. There was video training and some by another admin, but it just takes a long time to get the hang of it because of all of the regulations, funds, codes, processes, etc. It took too many steps to do simple things. The people were very nice but overworked, so not a lot of hands-on help. I've worked in many different types of industries, so I've got a lot of admin experience.
I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Very stressful for me, not at all suited to my abilities.
Pros
Nice people and outside grounds, good cafeterias
Cons
The duties!!
There is a sense of community at Stanford and i love that
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 15, 2017
Stanford represents a state if the art learning environment with many resources and both students and staff feel lucky to be part if such an innovative and ever evolving type of environment. The University is a research institution and a training camp at the same time. It's always busy and exciting on campus because there's is so much happening and at time because of all the various competing multiple priorities it can get hard to keep up. Stressful time could be proposal preparation and submission time as everyone is focused and under tight deadlines. Tension eases off after the submission of proposal and some of the fun activities on campus pus are the cultural festivals every year and the entertainment and the music for the rest of the day. There are lots of events and conferences that go on on campus and tons of visitors coming to admires the many landmarks and must see exhibits around campus, in all it's a fun environment to work.
Pros
There is always lots of food around
Cons
You must exercise self control as food seems to be everywhere
workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 14, 2017
Elite place with very smart people. Work is fun if you enjoy applying the scientific process and thinking about things methodically. Don't be afraid to ask questions.