Stanford University Employee Reviews

Great work-life balance place.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 21, 2017
Excellent place to work. I ran the department postdoc program. I spent a lot of time int he office, but having a gym nearby and taking gym classes at a reduced rate was great!
Pros
Reduced gym class rates, 2 weeks off every winter
Cons
Almost none
What I Learned
Faculty Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 20, 2017
The people were great to work with and the campus is well kept with beautiful weather. A lot of things to do and they offer great commuter options/packages.
Pros
Free Caltrain
Gladiators Don't Make Friends
Research Administrator 1 (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 19, 2017
Stanford is like a gladiator school. Culture is not conducive to seeing people succeed. Compete with co-workers. Hard to get work done with that fear.
Pros
Stanford Sweeteners, Access to Sporting Events, Access to Free Gym, Intellectual
Cons
Conducive to Favortism and Competition, 12-Month Trial Period, Political, Lack of Training and Guidance, Employees/Departments are Dispensable
A vivid collaborative environment full of challenge and innovation
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 16, 2017
Very collaborative and stimulating scientific environment, with basic science and engineering intermingled. Working hard and constantly being challenged is the theme in the lab. Really learned and matured a lot during these 3+ years.
Stanford University is an amazing place to work
Event Coordinator, Donor Relations (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 12, 2017
Coordinate events. Manage budgets. Attending planning meetings. Transportation and physical fitness incentives. The campus is beautiful. Supportive work environment.
Pros
Transportation
Cons
Great environment to work and always opportunities opened!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 6, 2017
Stanford University has great benefits for employees. When I was employed there, I had an option to have my kids get a free education at any 4-year accredited school. They have a matching 401k, competitive health care plans, and competitive salaries. Since it's at a University, you have the opportunity to take classes or attend one of their seminars. The people I worked with worked as a team and there was always a number of people who I can talk to about any concerns I had. A great nurturing and team-spirited environment!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hours not as flexible
HIgh standards for Stanford
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 1, 2017
Great food, the Chef made beautiful great tasting food. High end cliental , long days but very rewarding.Had the opportunity to work along side very talented Chefs and create great looking product.
Pros
Awsome expirence working with talented Chefs
Cons
Long days, and at times 7 days a week.
Great summer job
Kids Summer Baseball Camp Coach (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 1, 2017
I worked at the baseball summer camps when I was younger and always had a great time. Stanford creates a great culture to teach young kids about the game of baseball, while helping teach these kids some core life values.
Fun place to work with, and good benefits for the whole family
Financial Analyst and Research Accountant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 27, 2017
They provide very good benefits for their employees. Wellness education, and classes to advance the knowledge at work. Further more, they fund for undergrad and graduation degrees if needed.
Fun workplace with many motivates employees
Intern Athletic Department (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 23, 2017
I loved working at the University of Stanford. Met a lot of great people who showed me what a true work culture should look like. My boss was very hands on towards the beginning but shy'd away as soon as I got into the rhythm of things and learned everything in which I would need to do on a daily basis.
Pros
Great culture
Fast pace environment with a great staff
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 21, 2017
Every person stayed on there tasks and helped each other succeed through out the night. Being mindful of others and there needs when it comes to food service. The hardest thing was keeping up with the late hours in a fast pace environment.
Fun work environment.
Administrative Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 17, 2017
I really enjoyed working on campus because you were able to be involved with alot of the new futuristic ideas that were evolving in the silicon valley.
took down our kids photos
Interim Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 16, 2017
It was like working in a dungeon, the coworkers, MDs and PHds were awesome, and so was the cutting edge medicine. It was rewarding contributing to revolutionary techniques that saved peoples' lives
Pros
the vets
Cons
the management
Fun place to work at. Intelligent people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 7, 2017
My typical day working was doing administrative tasks. Assisted in managing spreadsheets, creating property control inventory records, filing, and much more. Management was ok. The most enjoyable part of the job was the cafeteria. Also, working with a bunch of Physicists. These people were absolutely Brilliant. My boss was an 80 something-year-old Nobel Prize Winner Physicist. He was very friendly.
Pros
Great people. Highly intelligent people to work with. Great company.
Cons
No comment.
Excellent work enviroment
Laboratory Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 2, 2017
Enjoy working with students and Co workers. and Good Benefits, always there are many opportunities for advancement, very nice people both Co workers and Students,
A great place to study and conduct research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 28, 2017
Stanford is a great place to work as a postdoc.
Although the cost of living is kinda insane in Bay area, Stanford provide better salaries than other universities.
Stanford also provides great resources and platform for postdocs to conduct top-tier research and encourages collaborations.
Pros
Great resource and lots of talents
Cons
Cost of living is too high
Graduate School of Business
Media IT (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Working at Stanford is more like adjusting to the culture. Everyone is very smart and kind to interact with. It really depends on what your job entails? Best part of working if you're full time is the free access to public transportation. Since this is a progressive campus, they don't support people commuting to work via car.
Pros
Free transportation on campus
Overall Great Organization
Faculty Administrator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 19, 2017
There are so many interesting departments and programs to work for at Stanford; each of which, have very different cultures. Stanford offers fantastic benefits including, medical, dental, wellness incentives, free public transportation and tuition reimbursements. Stanford does have a reputation for low salaries and difficulty with promotions and advancement. Also, it can be very difficult to find good managers that care about your development and want to see you grow. Administrative roles tend to be a very invisible job. Stanford on your resume, it is very easy to always have a career with Stanford.
Pros
Great benefits and lots of interesting things to do on campus (Lectures, art, events)
Cons
Low pay and lack of advancement
Very professional and well run
Lead biometric health screener (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Working for the University of Medicine at Stanford has been such a great experience because of the professional employees, advanced technology, and friendly atmosphere. A typical day at work is very busy and exciting because everyone is happy to be there because they enjoy what they do. I learned time management and how to communicate more efficiently with patients. The management that I have been involved with is very professional, organized, and they respond promptly. My co-workers are great because we all work hard together and help each other out when needed. The hardest part of my job is when I have to inform people of information that is hard for them to hear. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing people satisfied with their care and educating people about their health.
Great job stability, paycheck and benefits. Not so great for growth in career.
Administrative Associate III (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Overall, Stanford is a great place to work as far as stability and a steady paycheck, not to mention the wonderful benefits the University offers to staff. From experience in two positions at Stanford, growth and advancement was not offered to me in two different departments. Speaking with others throughout campus, it appears that this is somewhat accepted as the 'culture' for certain positions at Stanford.

My co-workers were all in all a great group of people. Most of them are close friends now.
Pros
Great benefits, fantastic work/life balance, steady paycheck
Cons
no room for advacement, growth is hard to come by

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stanford University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3