Stanford University

Stanford University Employer Reviews

Great workplace
Accountant (Current Employee), BiologyApril 1, 2014
I love this place, it actually cares about the employees and their future career growth. Keep asking feedback for job performance.
The Benchmark - Transformative - Enlightening
Stanford Management Company - Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Stanford, CAMarch 18, 2014
Pros: covered parking! amazing campus, stellar management, casual run ins with malcolm gladwell or mark zuckerberg, parking next to condolezza rice... etcetera.
Cons: rush hour traffic on el camino / foothill exp / sand hill rd... and watch out for all the freshmen!
Professional, engaging, purpose driven, challenging, rewarding, motivational, uplifting, energizing, creative, cerebral, amusing, and so many more adjectives filled each and every day of my work with Stanford. Working in that environment day in and day out is like no other, I learned so much, grew so much professionally and personally. I was challenged – more... to be the best version of myself I could be on a daily basis.
Do I miss my manager and my colleagues at Stanford? Certainly. Now my job is to pay it forward and keep learning, growing and improving. – less
Good work and research environment
Life Science Research Assistant-Contractor (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAMarch 15, 2014
It was a good working environment. People were nice and friendly.
A great place to work
Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Stanford, CAMarch 3, 2014
I enjoyed working here and learned a great deal while doing so.
Productive with a positive environment
SEP Special Event Patrol Officer (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: schedules are flexible
Cons: no benefits and only on-call, i need stability
Typical day at Stanford University Department of Public Safety: 7am-4pm day shift, morning briefing with all staff before sent out to our assignments, shift prep includes; dressed in uniform, equipment ready, role call, sign in, vehicle checks, and write daily reports.

Enjoyable part is the environment of my work place, being outdoors, and reporting – more... any suspicious acts on campus. Hardest part is the influx of assignments, sometimes its hard to keep up with different assignments, but I am a quick learner, I adapt quickly.

Co-workers are all very experienced, I always learn something new everyday with my staff. They are great supporters. I never have a problem asking questions. – less
Dedicated Professionals to diversity and multiculture environment
Paralegal (Former Employee), Office of the General CounselFebruary 21, 2014
I enjoyed working here and learned a great deal
Very team oriented and dedicated working professionals.
Meaningful Work, great environment
Student Services Officer (Current Employee), Stanford, CAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: be well program, public transportation benefits, stipends for professional development
Cons: limited upward mobility
The culture on campus is great. There's a push for constant excellence and innovation.
Highly motivated and committed to exploring innovative research topics
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Stanford, CaliforniaFebruary 4, 2014
A typical day as a research assistant at Stanford University heavily depends on the stage of a given research project. Performing literature reviews are crucial before designing any research project as reading relevant and recently published articles keep you informed recent developments in your field of research. Working as a research assistant includes – more... collaboration of study design and format. We hold weekly lab meetings where Ph.D. students and faculty present their research at various stages, as peers providing constructive suggestions for improvement. Study materials, such as surveys, are constructed using Qualtrics, and are easily distributed via email. Other studies require strong interpersonal skills as we must approach participants in real world settings (i.e. train stations) and asking for their participation in a confidential study. I am also responsible for running studies on campus, often in a computer lab, where I brief students on the study they are participating in, and guide them through the necessary steps for participation completion Data entry can consume entire days, ensuring the data is entered correctly, proofing reliability to ensure data confidence, and cleaning and transferring data to Excel and SPSS requires immense attention to detail. Along with collecting and entering data comes analyses via SPSS software where we observe statistical trends our data, providing tangible results to prove or disprove hypothesis. Overall as a research assistant at Stanford I must be well read on all topics that broach our area of study, dedicate many hours to insurance of data and study materials and always be prepared and receptive for last minute tasks and changes in ongoing research studies. – less
Busy, exciting and upbeat.
Administrative Associate/Research Management Group (Former Employee), Stanford, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: reputation of stanford
Cons: being off campus was a downside to working for the university.
Typical work day was very busy, as we where deadline driven.
desktop support
Desktop Support Engineer (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Cons: to many to list
poor administration for administrators and those who need approved access.
Productive Workplace
Client Support Specialist (Current Employee), Stanford, CAJanuary 29, 2014
I highly recommend Stanford University as an employer. It is an environment where people can contribute to society while improving themselves.
Great Place to work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Stanford, CAJanuary 26, 2014
Secure job with strong work/life balance. There are lots of jobs available at Stanford so you can always change departments if you're unhappy
productive
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Stanford, CAJanuary 18, 2014
productive
intelligent
expensive rent
stanford farm
I do not have too much to say here right now.
energetic, motivating, busy day
Department of Surgery, Research Associate (Current Employee), Hagey Research LaboratoryJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: campus culture
Cons: to some extent bureaucracy
stanford is a symbol of excellence, self motivation, innovation.
Great place
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Volunteered at Stanford University for a Stanford - CAL Berkeley football game selling food (concessions). Everything was great and it definitely gave me good work experience!
It was great working with such gifted scientists.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: free commuter passes.
Cons: hard to get around campus quickly as it is so big!
A typical day at Stanford University is going in to work and managing a professor's life in terms of scheduling their day, making travel arrangements, assisting in preparing grant, and also interacting with postdoctoral fellows from all over the world! I have learned that being patient is the great virtue one could possess as I have watched scientists – more... take years to complete one paper for journals such as Nature and Science. My coworkers all loved working in academia and most of the people that I worked with at Stanford have been around for years! The job required a high level of intelligence and being a quick-change artist as your planned tasks for the day could change quite suddenly. Stanford University is a wonderful place to work!!! – less
Wonderful benefits, but difficult for staff members to advance
Faculty Affairs (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: health benefits, gorgeous campus, caltrain pass, training/education reimbursement plans
Cons: some faculty are brilliant, some are brilliant and mercurial..and some just mercurial
As a staff member, it can be an exceptional treat to be around people who are at the top of their fields and who are making world-class discoveries. The flip side of the coin is that in an academic environment, faculty members rule the roost -- whether or not they have appropriate management skills. At times, I've seen skilled, well-educated staff members – more... put down or not allowed to advance forward in their careers due to mercurial decisions made by faculty. Some faculty run amazing workgroups, and some don't -- do your research during your interview process before you join a given department. Stanford has excellent benefits, including staff training reimbursement. Work-life balance is publicized a great deal, but in practice varies from department to department. – less
Energetic and rewarding workplace environment.
Logistics Program Manager (Former Employee), Stanford, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Enjoyed diverse programs and passion out into each program.
Great Environment to learn and perfect your craft
Contractor (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: stanford university campus has a great vibe from everyone there; students and faculty alike
This is a an environment of constant learning and growth. What can be a challenge to some is constant change and high expectations, while others thrive in this environment.
Great staff and sense of community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Stanford, CADecember 2, 2013
Pros: gorgeous campus, great staff
Cons: required work on weekends, lots of politics to navigate.
Large organization, somewhat unwieldy.
The Department of Public Safety is a serious department that oversees the safety of the campus community.
In the Records Department I reviewed officer cases and entered information into the department's database. Record-keeping is a fundamental part of the organization. All activities of this police department – more... are public records and copies of cases were provided to the public with redacted confidential information.
My co-workers were dedicated and hard-working.
The hardest part of the job was doing 12 things at once well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was participating in events on campus and being able to take classes. – less

About Stanford University

The Stanford Technology Ventures Program is dedicated to accelerating high-technology entrepreneurship education and creating – Read more

Stanford University Photos