Stanford University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 2, 2016
Flexible work schedule and positive environment. You have access to a lot of resources. Very productive and supportive atmosphere. I enjoyed my time here.
great place to work
Associate Administrator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 20, 2016
If I have the opportunity I would work there again. The people are great and the campus is filled with entertainment to attend to throughout the year
benefits
Cons
Job Stability and great co workers
Life Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 13, 2016
Very high paced and stressful workplace due to the nature of the job. But the team effort of great coworkers made it doable and less stressful.
Benefits
Cons
Very cramped working conditions
Good experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 20, 2016
- challenging yet rewarding
- great way to get research experience
- high standard encouraged high work ethic and produced good work that gave me invaluable skills
Pros
good on resume
Cons
big time commitment
Great company
Executive Chef - General Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 15, 2016
This is and was the best place to work for in my life.
What a great staff and place to be.

I learned so much from this job and sadly had to leave.
Best place to work for.
Pros
Great university
Cons
The best nothing as the best
Great place to learn and grow
Research Mentor (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 20, 2016
Very challenging problems are tackled in the graduate labs here. Excellent environment to expand your knowledge and really sharpen your mind with some of the best and the brightest.
Computing Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 12, 2015
Wonderful place to work and great benefits. Great programs to balance work and life, wellness. Highly recommend this place to work.
Interesting place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 4, 2016
I have a lot of great memories from this job. Everyday brought a new opportunity to learn and to teach what I learned to so many others. Days could be challenging but they were always very rewarding.
Fast pace, minimal rewards, deep management issues
Medical Simulation Technician (Former Employee) –  Immersive Learning Center, School of MedicineJuly 22, 2014
The ILC at Stanford's med school is known as one of the premier medical simulation programs in the country. They have a seemingly endless budget for equipment but suffer from severe staffing and management issues. Turnover is high, and for good reason.

This position affords the opportunity to work closely with brilliant and dedicated physicians, which can be very rewarding and sometimes fun. It does not afford much opportunity for advancement, recognition, or work-life balance. Four different people have held this particular position since the ILC opened in 2010, and only one of them is still working at Stanford.

Benefits are decent, although some can be difficult to navigate. Salary was very low in light of the amount of responsibility, specific skills required, and the extremely high cost of living in the area.
Pros
interesting work, intelligent colleagues, stanford name on your resume
Cons
micro-management, inflexible schedule, excessive meetings
Great location and facilities
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 10, 2013
The GSB facility is brand new, beautiful, functional and inspiring. It's a great place to work and have enjoyed my time here. Culture can be tough to adapt to (it's very high context) so that was a challenge, but once you have acclimated it becomes enjoyable being in such an institution where so much is going on and you can interact with different brilliant and interesting people everyday...including students, professors, and visitors (incl many CEOs).
Pros
beautiful campus and location, near caltrain, brand new facilities, intelligent and inspiring people, good work/life balance
Cons
low salary and promotional increases, culture can be tough to adapt to
Wonderful benefits, but difficult for staff members to advance
Faculty Affairs (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 8, 2014
As a staff member, it can be an exceptional treat to be around people who are at the top of their fields and who are making world-class discoveries. The flip side of the coin is that in an academic environment, faculty members rule the roost -- whether or not they have appropriate management skills. At times, I've seen skilled, well-educated staff members put down or not allowed to advance forward in their careers due to mercurial decisions made by faculty. Some faculty run amazing workgroups, and some don't -- do your research during your interview process before you join a given department. Stanford has excellent benefits, including staff training reimbursement. Work-life balance is publicized a great deal, but in practice varies from department to department.
Pros
health benefits, gorgeous campus, caltrain pass, training/education reimbursement plans
Cons
some faculty are brilliant, some are brilliant and mercurial..and some just mercurial
Great place to work.
Video Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 9, 2016
Great place to work. Every day was a new experience and provided endless opportunities to learn and grow. Culture of innovation and constant strive for excellence.
It is a wonderful job
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 7, 2016
this is a wonderful job grate hours and very fexible would recomend this job to everyone. I love working with people and this is a very hands on job
Pros
the pay and hours
My view
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 20, 2016
I usually start 1 hour early at 6am and check the queue for new work orders that have been submitted. I would review the new work request scope and assign the request to the designated Field engineers. If assigned to me, I send a email and or voice mail to schedule at job walk at the customers convenience. Meet with the cabling vendors dedicated to the Hospital and Campus accounts and review the days scheduled work as required to maintain some quality control of the days scheduled events. Walk the job of MAC move, adds, changes work and the smaller project workloads as scheduled with the preferred cabling contractor and customer. Answer customer call for new MAC job walks and meet the customer to review their scope of work as they requested through the bid process for an estimate.Thats my typical day.

I thought this would of been, and should be the best place to work and utilize my customer experience background knowledge and communication skills, but I learned that I was on an Island with no support...

What management? Seriously the worst experience in my work history career.

I did have great co-workers, and I thought I got along well with my peers.

Trying to have a work related conversation with my manager without him yelling and it stressing me out.

The customers and students and staff.
Being part of something bigger than your self, supporting the needs of the Stanford Hospital and Clinics, LPCH and the Stanford Campus.
Pros
great benefits and employee discounts, programs etc...
Cons
too busy to enjoy any fitness facilities and or other benefits for self improvement.
Best place to work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 17, 2016
Data analysis, policy analysis, project management and work with smart people to make huge impact on public education.
productive and good work place
Linux Admin / Cloud Admin / DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 16, 2016
Good, Place to work productive and good work place Helps you grow and learn and survive Nice place costly place. thats all
Excellent to learn and grow from Stanford.
Alternate Format Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 14, 2015
Awesome atmosphere and the management is excellent. They give us extra training and help us to get certify in Braille Transcriber
Cons
No full-time position with benefits
Working with high expectation
Systems/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 25, 2014
I was told that my manager doesn't give above a 3 out of 5 on job performance "because you work at Stanford, excellence is expected". Most days are like that, you do get to work on some good projects but most often mundane stuff.

The place is like a park, the buildings are beautiful but old so no AC and poor heating, this is only an issue a few days a year.

Raises are small blamed on the endowments slow growth.

I have stayed to long so I have been working on my skill set on my own.

Not to many places you get to work with Nobel Laureates if you are not a Laureate yourself expect to work hard and be beneath most of the faculty's consideration.
Pros
work with some of the smartest people on the planet.
Cons
you will probably be poor.
Great reputaion, reality isn't quite so good
EE at SLAC (Current Employee) –  SLAC division (Menlo Park mailing address)February 29, 2012
I work at SLAC, a DOE funded lab ran by STANFORD

Your success and happiness greatly depends on what department or division you work in. You can be treated as a valued contributor to the lab's success or you can be treated as a mere hired hand. Management is sort of bipolar: they stay out of the way (sometimes good, sometimes not so good) or they are constantly pestering you with conflicting requirements.

A great deal has changed in the last few years. We, thanks to the DOE and the present director's desire to please the purse string pullers, are becoming a totally safe, demoralized workplace. Site-wide layoffs in recent years as well as small "stealth" layoffs contribute to the adversely changing nature of SLAC.

Had I known that SLAC was going to go down this route, I would have left years ago. Oh well, I'm looking for new opportunities now.
Pros
generally good benefits, educational benefits for an employee's children
Cons
poor growth / promotion opportunity, employee educational benefits
Responsive management and public relations
Administrative Director (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 9, 2015
I worked in a contract position in this "temporary, half-time" position during the start-up phase of its funded development. I loved the personal and public relationships. A typical day was "whatever was needed."

My "co-workers" (because I believe in active teamwork) were other contractors and graduate and undergraduate student assistants. I determined needs for temporary personnel, trained, and managed as needs required.

The hardest part of the job was simply working much longer than "half-time" because of personal satisfaction with the work and because there was so much to do. There weren't enough hours in the day!

The most enjoyable part was delivering the message of the Lane Center, which was about the need of deeper study of the geographic, economic, and cultural development of the North American West. My role involved preparing and hosting seminars and public presentations about the Center, as well as advising students about the interdepartmental major in the field.
Pros
Learning new material and communicating with people
Cons
Funding. There was never enough to really soar as an organization within a bigger organization.

4.3