Stanford University Employee Reviews in United States

Best place to work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 17, 2016
Data analysis, policy analysis, project management and work with smart people to make huge impact on public education.
productive and good work place
Linux Admin / Cloud Admin / DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 16, 2016
Good, Place to work productive and good work place Helps you grow and learn and survive Nice place costly place. thats all
Beware of Medical Center Development
Declined to state (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 24, 2013
If you are a Development Officer or want to work in Alumni Relations stay clear of Medical Center Development. Management is a nightmare, room for advancement is restricted to those that are friends with higher level managers and associate VP's and overall it is a poorly run group. It's reputation across campus as a bad place to work is well known. Stanford has good benefits but the overall salaries are much higher outside of academia. Note that raises are often non existent and at most no more than 3% max due to internal policies.
Management great! Friendly co-workers, great benefits
Media Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 7, 2013
Typical day at work can get a little repetitive, but you'll find that anywhere. The great thing about working here is that you're consistantly learning new things/software. Management has a really great balance of being your friend but knowing when to draw the line and be a great boss. Co-workers are GREAT, some of the best and smartest people. One of the most enjoyable things about working here is the campus. If you need to get away for a few minutes a walk around the beautiful campus can really put things into perspective.
Pros
campus, benefits, co-workers
Very Rewarding Experience
Operations and Logistic Manager (Former Employee) –  st. croix and AntiguaJuly 7, 2012
Stanford 20/20 LLC was a sporting company which once marketed the highest paid tournament in sporting history (20 million price money). The company was based on development of grass roots cricket (sports) in the entire carribbean. A total of 22 islands actively participated in tournaments in the region. The most rewarding part of this job was working closing with the Heads of Government and the famous sports celebrities of all sporting deciplines.
Pros
very flexible hours, exceptional compensation benefits
Cons
long hours and frequent travelling
Productive with a positive environment
SEP Special Event Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Typical day at Stanford University Department of Public Safety: 7am-4pm day shift, morning briefing with all staff before sent out to our assignments, shift prep includes; dressed in uniform, equipment ready, role call, sign in, vehicle checks, and write daily reports.

Enjoyable part is the environment of my work place, being outdoors, and reporting any suspicious acts on campus. Hardest part is the influx of assignments, sometimes its hard to keep up with different assignments, but I am a quick learner, I adapt quickly.

Co-workers are all very experienced, I always learn something new everyday with my staff. They are great supporters. I never have a problem asking questions.
Pros
schedules are flexible
Cons
no benefits and only on-call, i need stability
Learning while being productive
Administrative Associate, Department of Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 11, 2015
My day in he Division of Pediatrics, Neonatology consist of provided administrative support to physicians and faculty members in Neonatal Division,handled all administrative tasks including travel arrangements, processing maintenance orders, and preparing and maintaining conference rooms for office-wide meetings and events.
Created, edited, and proofread documents ensuring accuracy, which included articles, invoices and presentations.Managed all office correspondence including answering phones, creating and maintaining filing systems, managing emails and office memos, and performing database entry. Managed financial and inventory control for the office, including monitoring office and lab supplies, and processing purchase orders and staff reimbursements. Arranged and set up meetings in the Lucille Packard and Stanford Hospitals. Stanford is a teaching school and in the Division of Neonatology there where different physicians working on different projects. For example, one of my doctors I supported (Dr. Vinny Bhutani) was working on a study with Jaundice at the time I had a new baby so a lot of the findings related to my new situation. I really enjoyed working for the 16 doctors I supported. The hardest part of this position was the constant change in office management. This was difficult because the new management did not understand the work I was doing or that the physician ask of me and I had to always explain.
Pros
Learning experience and great benefits
Cons
Change in Management
Responsive management and public relations
Administrative Director (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 9, 2015
I worked in a contract position in this "temporary, half-time" position during the start-up phase of its funded development. I loved the personal and public relationships. A typical day was "whatever was needed."

My "co-workers" (because I believe in active teamwork) were other contractors and graduate and undergraduate student assistants. I determined needs for temporary personnel, trained, and managed as needs required.

The hardest part of the job was simply working much longer than "half-time" because of personal satisfaction with the work and because there was so much to do. There weren't enough hours in the day!

The most enjoyable part was delivering the message of the Lane Center, which was about the need of deeper study of the geographic, economic, and cultural development of the North American West. My role involved preparing and hosting seminars and public presentations about the Center, as well as advising students about the interdepartmental major in the field.
Pros
Learning new material and communicating with people
Cons
Funding. There was never enough to really soar as an organization within a bigger organization.
Assistant Registrar (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 12, 2014
Stanford University is an amazing place to work. The culture is very progressive and communication is highly encouraged no matter your position. The benefits are amazing and hard to beat, as they strongly encourage a work/life balance.
Pros
pto+vacation+sick time, on campus gym, matching 401k, job security/ advancement
Nice work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I love Stanford. I met a lot of talent people in campus, attended numbers of great seminars, took quite a few classes. And the work experience made me grow to an independent scientist.
Pros
Great resources, people, and weather
Cons
Not enough money
CLS position at the HLA Lab
CLS HLA tech (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 8, 2013
The people in the lab are hard workers, intelligent, and meticulous to details. They are great co-workers. The lab is often busy and requires you to work weekends and night shifts.

The director and manager like to micro manage and do not appreciate their employees. The management is horrible. There is a high turn over in the lab. At least, 2 or 3 workers quit or get fired every year.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
high turn over due to management
Fulfilling job - helping people in the healthcare field
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 3, 2012
I really enjoyed working at Stanford because of the atmosphere of fulfillment at work. Helping people out when they are at their most vulnerable, being ill, is a very fulfilling job. My co-workers all enjoyed working together as we all were working toward the same end goal of making sure the patients were taken care of to the best of our ability. I always felt that every patient was a VIP and worked as long as it took to make sure that everything was taken care of for quality of care.
Pros
good benefits - free commutes
Cons
hours were long and unstable at times
A Wonderful Place to Work with Room for Improvement
Director of Integrated Marketing Services (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 10, 2015
Stanford University is an amazing place to be and work. I ride my bike in most days and am reminded of all of the great work being done everyday. I see the academic and student life as well as the professional life at work as a combination of a collective drive to for excellence. My staff are wonderful and care for each other dearly and support each other daily.

The best part of my job is the daily interaction with my staff and the achievements and accomplishments they strive for and complete. The goals are aggressive and their drive is phenomenal.
Pros
The People. The Campus
Cons
The database is older
Prison-like environment
Purchasing Card Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 5, 2013
A typical day at work was to answer questions, solve problems, and interact with outside contacts. I learned to administer the corporate credit card program. My management was incompetent. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was when they instituted a "call center" instead of allowing me to directly speak to clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
incompetent and poor management
Good work enviroment
Player Guest Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 17, 2012
Stanford University is a excellent place for employment. The atmosphere alone is energetic and motivating. This employer motivates its employess to reach their potential and beyond by treating their staff with love and respect. The possiblities for advancement are endless once fully employed and even though im employed seasonal its a job I looking forward going to every chance I can.
Pros
the pay, benefits, campus perks, atmosphere
Cons
traffic
Overall a good place to work.
Telecommunications Attendant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 29, 2015
A typical day is you come in and answer phones. Aside from the "fine print" that's all you do. It pays well and the people in the office are great. They are very helpful.
Great
Student Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Awesome. it was truly great and i fully enjoyed my time. It was a great college job that left me plenty of time to commit to school work.
Great place to work where you can advance your career, they value education and self improvement
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 17, 2012
Amazing, you can take classes on campus that benefit your career so you can move up and get into a new/higher position.

All employees were good to work with, compatible. We had weekly meetings within our team to keep communication open and know what others were up to and expectations.
Pros
great benefits!
Wonderful environment
Primary Care Associate Program (PCAP) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 7, 2015
Great experience and learning environment. Productive and welcoming. Spent time as a student in the PCAP program, and a typical day consisted of technical skills, and lectures from outstanding speakers from all walks of life. Very encouraging and overall a great experience.
It is a good university, I like to do research there.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 16, 2015
It is a beautiful university, I like to do research there. I had a lot of profs who served as my mentors, always willing to help and share advice.

4.3