Stanford University Employee Reviews

productive and exciting work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 15, 2017
The workplace culture was great, everyone was friendly with each other and the relationships in the office were good. It was a research-based job and the work was fun and exciting. You got to interact with lots of people coming in and out and the work was beneficial for all.
Pros
relationship building, learning new skills, fun times
Cons
strenuous physial work
Good palce to work
Medical Assistant/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 15, 2017
Its a very balanced place to work in with a lot learning and career growth opportunities. It has a great work culture and a good set of employees. Management is good and appreciates your work
Great Place to work
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 15, 2017
Very fast paced environment. Everyone very knowledge-able and willing to take time to make sure they answer your questions regarding the work. Very patient while you come up to speed of the daily duties.
It ok
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 11, 2017
great people to work with and enjoy the students connections. at the same time felt the upper management dint care about the little people or the backbone of the work place(dish room/janitorial/servers)
Nice environment to work in
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 31, 2017
Stanford is a good environment to work in. The benefits are good, and the workplace is friendly. The only downsides are the commute and the high cost of living nearby.
Productive and multicultural workplace
Life Science Research Professional II (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 25, 2017
Since its academia I did not find a balance of work life in research. But working at Stanford is a great experience. If there is a good work life balance its a best place to work.
Great Experience
Executive (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 25, 2017
Very stimulating and rewarding environment. Extremely fast paced, but there were great rewards that came with it. Stanford is an amazing place, you are surrounded by extremely smart and ambitious people that make you feel excited about being part of the workplace.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 24, 2017
I enjoy my job and everyone I work with! I have learned a lot in the time I have been here. Everyone is friendly and has a good work life balance. However, the cost of living is very expensive.
Pros
People are nice
Great!
Co-President - InSITE Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 22, 2017
Would definitely recommend. Great culture, great people and great opportunities here in this area. The hardest part is definitely being around all these amazing people but it is great.
Great culture and environment
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 21, 2017
Smart people, interesting work, and great work-life balance. The future is being developed here. Love the college atmosphere. Tons of opportunity to learn and have fun.
Pros
access to resources: Library, athletic facilities, speakers, concerts, learning.
Cons
pay is lower than industry in the Bay Area
Extremely productive workplace with some fun activites
Visiting Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 20, 2017
The workplace culture is very competitive yet there are lots of opportunities for social interaction with colleagues. The environment is extremely inspiring and rewarding.
Productive and innovative workplace
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 9, 2017
It is a productive and innovation place to work. You will meet a lot of smart and energetic people to talk and discuss. Also, there are many events and activities happening almost every day.
Finance Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 8, 2017
- Employee first attitude
- Great place to learn different skills
- Many intelligent coworkers that usually have a good personality
- Great benefits, especially 401k and vacation
Great Management, Hit-or-Miss Leadership
Academic Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 3, 2017
I had three of the best managers I've ever worked with at Stanford. Not the very best, but among the best.

In my unit, there was a culture of continuous improvement: let's do what we did before--but better.

When I was there, however, leadership consistently made the wrong bet (put money or effort into something that ultimately didn't work) or simply couldn't make a decision.
Pros
great colleagues, lovely campus
Cons
expensive area to live in, or a long commute
Casual and temp employees don't feel the love
Biometric Health Screener (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 2, 2017
Although I was required to have a bachelor's degree and some form of experience for the job, it was pretty loose. The role I had was to directly serve the over entitled benefitted employees and in doing so they earned a cash payment of $300+. My hours varied by the season and were paid an hourly rate of $20. After parking and taxes it's about $13/hr. It was stressed to all of us working in this program that the employee treatment was to be exceptional and comment cards bore the evidence. The program was not officially funded so the workers on the hourly side had no assurance of employment. However employees on another side were fully Stanford benefitted. I saw classic class politics at play and decided all in all it wasn't working for me.
Pros
Good for resume
Cons
Hourly workers not earning enough
UAV Piloting
UAV Pilot (PT) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 30, 2017
Piloting unmanned aircraft for Stanford students to achieve their thesis in GPS and UAV technology. Recommending solutions to everyday problems that requires radio control modeling experience.
Pros
Being apart of the success of 4 students which achieved their PHD's
Cons
None.
Great place to work and lean on new research techniques and technology. Highly competitive and fast pace environment.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 27, 2017
Great place to work and lean on new research techniques and technology. Highly competitive, fast pace environment and easy to collaborate with highly experienced scientists.
this is a review summary
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  StanfordSeptember 18, 2017
the place to work was a place to work this is interesting particularly in light if the semantic contact at symantex. I like goretex and gorp and gorillas and gangrene killed a character in a hemmingway story i believe. Was it snows of kilimanjaro?
Excellent place for collaboration and experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 16, 2017
I was a research associate helping a PhD student with her research. I worked with her and 5 or 6 other research associates. We performed literature reviews, designed experiments, wrote those experiments into Qualtrics, coded data, and processed the results.
Good job, horrid commute
Community Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 15, 2017
Working at Stanford was a prospect I relished, however once in the job I quickly learned the commute (1.5 - 2.0 hours each way on average) was too much for me to handle.

I highly recommend Stanford as an employer, however I also recommend thinking it over very closely if you do not live within 10 miles or so from the job site as both driving and taking transit can be a MAJOR undertaking.
Pros
Work atmosphere, coworkers, benefits and pay.
Cons
Challenging commute.