Stanford University Employee Reviews

fun, fun, fun
Food Service Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 11, 2015
I enjoyed working at Stanford so much I looked forward to going every day. I met so many people from all over the world and the experience was great. I established great friendships, many of which still exist today. Stanford was the most rewarding job I've had.
Pros
Free uniforms/lmeals, great benefits/pay, union job
Fast-paced, ever changing environment, where I thrive
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CaliforniaSeptember 10, 2014
It was an honor to manage and collaborate two neurosurgeons, one being the Chief of Staff. I gleaned lots of knowledge around the brain, spine and difficult people.
Pros
i wasn't mircromanaged. i ran the offices and i was trusted to communicate when it was necessary.
Cons
the administrative routine changed, which elimiated responsibility.
All day learning everyday
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 23, 2014
Schools are always tempting to learn new things. It is because you meet with new people all the time. They have lots of knowledge and you learn from them with working on projects. Stanford University is the place you can get knowledge from your friends and share your knowledge with them. It is the place win-win environment you can ever imagine in the world.
Smart employees
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 31, 2013
Working from 8am to 5pm for last 20 years was a rich experience. I worked with scientists, mechanical engineers and people from all over the world. The hardest part of the job was that the employees were so smart and their educational backgrounds were tops.
Best part of the job was working with the international community of employees.
Pros
keeping up with the latest computer technologies
Cons
educational
Top level University
Researcher in Material Science (Exchange Student) (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 29, 2015
I had flexible time schedule, so that I could combine research with sport and social activities.
I was surrounded by genial people and I could breathe the optimistic and open mind atmosphere of the Silicon Valley.
Pros
Outstanding campus, Perfect climate, very active and creative place
Cons
Expensive
great soul fulfillment when driving guest to and from hospital
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 30, 2015
I would not recommend this job to anyone who has a genuine personality. I feel disillusion and heart break towards this position.
Pros
Full benefits from the first day of hire along with Stanford perks
Cons
negative unwelcoming standards from coworkers
Assistant Registrar (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 12, 2014
Stanford University is an amazing place to work. The culture is very progressive and communication is highly encouraged no matter your position. The benefits are amazing and hard to beat, as they strongly encourage a work/life balance.
Pros
pto+vacation+sick time, on campus gym, matching 401k, job security/ advancement
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 29, 2014
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Pros
leadership
Cons
could be larger
Good place to work, with friendly culture
Temp Executive Assistant, Office of the VP of LBRE (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 14, 2015
This is the first temporary job I have taken in my whole 20+ years career. Can't say enough about how nice the management is and how impressed I am by the smart people that I have the privilege to work with at LBRE.
Valuable learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 27, 2013
Performed basic low-level research assistant work, like hunting for information online, calling people, and entering information in spreadsheets. Learned a lot about the redistricting cycle and how to use ArcMap. Fellow research assistants were a pleasure to work with.
Pros
free lunches, laid back atmosphere
Cons
often tedious and repetitive
Productive, friendly environment to work in
Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 22, 2013
Event Mangement: in our group we had a conference Manager and one other Event manager besides myelf. The events were given out by the conference manager and the Event Managers managed the events they were given. We work together as a team to work out any problems. We met once a week to discuss our Event Portfolio and our Event timelines.
Pros
staff friendly, great benefits and compensation, work environment was friendly
Not a bad place to work
Accountant International (Former Employee) –  Palo AltoAugust 18, 2014
I learned alot about different data entry systems. This was a fast paced environment which I enjoyed. Too bad there was only room for temp work and not permanent
Pros
they have a nice lunch truck that comes daily so no need to drive far for lunch
Cons
not permanent
Worked part time for off campus private research center
Research Assistant, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Off CampusFebruary 14, 2013
Interesting work, involving human research, behavioral psychology, Management very pleasant and caring of workers and subjects. Co-workers pleasant and hard working.
Pros
interesting work, being part of ground breaking scientific discoveries in the intrest of mankind.
Cons
part time no benefits, studies end - job ends.
Smart and innovative environment
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Main campusMarch 13, 2015
Great place to have a career in higher education administration. Management styles varies greatly across campus-some excellent and encourages growth while other divisions can be a bit challenging with oversized egos.
Pros
challenges one to think outside the box
Cons
parking
Challenging, supportive environment
PhD candidate (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 11, 2015
This is a great place to get a PhD. I am well supported with adequate funding and student services, including teaching/learning, career development and networking events.
Pros
always free food at events, sometimes open bar
Cons
high standards, pressure to go into academia/research
Once in a lifetime opportunity
Vice Provost of Graduate Education (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 3, 2014
Working at school is great because its close to home and often time you are working with your peers. And you also get exposed to higher ups such as professors and grad students with alot more experience than you have.
Professional and united workplace
Receptionist/ Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 6, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of constant interaction with fellow co-workers and outside customers. Although our department was exceptionally large management and co-workers made the environment comfortable and easy to maintain. Everything about this job I absolutely enjoyed.
Large campus, plenty of outdoor spaces to enjoy.
Lead Gardener/Gardener (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 5, 2012
Needed to learn how to get around campus quickly when I first started working, since the campus was so large. There was a sizable variety of work to be done do to the wide range of requirements set by the various departments, organizations, and individuals.
Productive fast paced workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 2, 2015
consistant filing of documents, data entry, front desk support, answering high volume calls and other general office front desk support were part of my daily routine while employed with Stanford University. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with different students
Great Environment to learn and perfect your craft
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 6, 2014
This is a an environment of constant learning and growth. What can be a challenge to some is constant change and high expectations, while others thrive in this environment.
Pros
stanford university campus has a great vibe from everyone there; students and faculty alike

4.3