Stanford University Employee Reviews in United States

Learning while being productive
Administrative Associate, Department of Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 11, 2015
My day in he Division of Pediatrics, Neonatology consist of provided administrative support to physicians and faculty members in Neonatal Division,handled all administrative tasks including travel arrangements, processing maintenance orders, and preparing and maintaining conference rooms for office-wide meetings and events.
Created, edited, and proofread documents ensuring accuracy, which included articles, invoices and presentations.Managed all office correspondence including answering phones, creating and maintaining filing systems, managing emails and office memos, and performing database entry. Managed financial and inventory control for the office, including monitoring office and lab supplies, and processing purchase orders and staff reimbursements. Arranged and set up meetings in the Lucille Packard and Stanford Hospitals. Stanford is a teaching school and in the Division of Neonatology there where different physicians working on different projects. For example, one of my doctors I supported (Dr. Vinny Bhutani) was working on a study with Jaundice at the time I had a new baby so a lot of the findings related to my new situation. I really enjoyed working for the 16 doctors I supported. The hardest part of this position was the constant change in office management. This was difficult because the new management did not understand the work I was doing or that the physician ask of me and I had to always explain.
Pros
Learning experience and great benefits
Cons
Change in Management
Very Rewarding Experience
Operations and Logistic Manager (Former Employee) –  st. croix and AntiguaJuly 7, 2012
Stanford 20/20 LLC was a sporting company which once marketed the highest paid tournament in sporting history (20 million price money). The company was based on development of grass roots cricket (sports) in the entire carribbean. A total of 22 islands actively participated in tournaments in the region. The most rewarding part of this job was working closing with the Heads of Government and the famous sports celebrities of all sporting deciplines.
Pros
very flexible hours, exceptional compensation benefits
Cons
long hours and frequent travelling
Lab Assistant
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 9, 2015
• Measured and plotted morphological characteristics of three-spine stickleback to locations on chromosomes using QTL mapping
• Captured high resolution digital photographs of all fish
Msmc Fitness
MSMC FITNESS CENTER (Former Employee) –  los angeles caJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at the MSMC fitness center included, answering phones, cleaning gym equipment, interacting with members and maintaining a functional work environment. I loved my co-workers, we had frequent meetings that would become team building meetings. We had a lot of fun and at the same time got the job done. My managers were really nice and were willing to teach at any moment. Very understanding women which made it less intimidating when i first started. I learned a lot from this job, I was really shy and by the time I stopped working I was vibrant, Loud and personable. The hardest part of the job would be telling people that they were not able to enter the facilities with what they had on, oftentimes the student would get frustrated and we would have to stand firm with our policies. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around great people in a learning environment.
Pros
advancement possible
Cons
short shifts
very good traning place for young scientist
Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 16, 2015
It is a friendly workplace and a good start for medical researcher's career development. It will be great if there are more interaction among researchers, fellows and etc.
Pros
diverse enviroment and culture
Caring hard working MD's and staff, always striving to improve, good salary and benefits
Sr. Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  School of Medicine, Pediatric AnesthesiaJanuary 22, 2015
If I needed an operation, I would have it done at Stanford Hospital.
Good place to work.
Great salary and benefits, educational training courses for administrators are plentiful.
Flexible hours for administrators are encouraged by the university to ease traffic congestion in the city. You pick your own work shift hours.
I was allowed to work remotely for 2 years.
It was a stressful job, but very satisfying work. MD's expected the best out of every support staff person, and it made you rise to the occasion and perform your best on the job.
Pros
salary, benefits, flexible work hours, good environment to work
Cons
cannot think of any.
Productive and Diverse work environment
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy my work environment and the individuals I work with. I enjoy helping the staff and making sure the patient are in a clean environment and the staff are properly equipped with the tool and supplies that they need.
Met good friends that helped me join the military later on.
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 7, 2015
It was easy work not challenging, but at times sad because we would be surrounded by dying patients. Some of the work politics were bias, but it paid the bills.
Prison-like environment
Purchasing Card Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 5, 2013
A typical day at work was to answer questions, solve problems, and interact with outside contacts. I learned to administer the corporate credit card program. My management was incompetent. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was when they instituted a "call center" instead of allowing me to directly speak to clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
incompetent and poor management
Good work life balance
Tax Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CA 94304April 24, 2014
Great people
Typically 9-5 except during tax season.
At this level in career I am usually available via phone or email at all times.
Pros
stanford benefits, culture
Cons
slow growth path

Want to know more about Stanford University?

Ask a question
Good work enviroment
Player Guest Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 17, 2012
Stanford University is a excellent place for employment. The atmosphere alone is energetic and motivating. This employer motivates its employess to reach their potential and beyond by treating their staff with love and respect. The possiblities for advancement are endless once fully employed and even though im employed seasonal its a job I looking forward going to every chance I can.
Pros
the pay, benefits, campus perks, atmosphere
Cons
traffic
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto , CAOctober 6, 2015
Stanford University was my dream university and i feel privileged for being associated with Stanford .Learned new things and helped me to grow as a developer.
Great place to work where you can advance your career, they value education and self improvement
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 17, 2012
Amazing, you can take classes on campus that benefit your career so you can move up and get into a new/higher position.

All employees were good to work with, compatible. We had weekly meetings within our team to keep communication open and know what others were up to and expectations.
Pros
great benefits!
Meaningful Work, great environment
Student Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 13, 2014
The culture on campus is great. There's a push for constant excellence and innovation.
Pros
be well program, public transportation benefits, stipends for professional development
Cons
limited upward mobility
Worked part time for off campus private research center
Research Assistant, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Off CampusFebruary 14, 2013
Interesting work, involving human research, behavioral psychology, Management very pleasant and caring of workers and subjects. Co-workers pleasant and hard working.
Pros
interesting work, being part of ground breaking scientific discoveries in the intrest of mankind.
Cons
part time no benefits, studies end - job ends.
No day is ever the same
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 5, 2015
Working at Stanford was one of the most interesting and complex jobs I have ever had. You truly are fitting a square peg into a round hole some days as you try to satisfy what you team needs against the strict system that Stanford has in place for purchasing etc. It was very rewarding and I came to work ready whatever the day would throw at me.
Exciting, place to work and learn
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 19, 2014
Fun fast-paced work environment with so much to learn daily. I learned how to work properly in a dining hall kitchen for a university. I learned to prepare meals of many different cultures use spices and seasonings I had never used before. All of my co-workers were amazing, warm and friendly. I made some new friends there and it was an awesome experience. I think the hardest part of the job was having to throw away so much food without being able to give to those in need. The most enjoyable aspect of this job was getting to meet the students and establishing great relationships. Seeing the look on the students faces at the amazing food prepared for them to eat.
Pros
meeting new people, experiencing new foods
Cons
not enough hours
Unfocused and Unprincipled
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 13, 2015
I thought working at Stanford would be the pinnacle of a career in education. It was a horrible place to be and almost took my health and my passion for higher ed. Almost. Glad to be gone and will never look back.
Pros
the students are, for the most part, top notch and amazing to work with, i also enjoyed my local team and staff. it’s a beautiful campus.
Cons
plagued by racism, misogyny, homophobia, and a disregard for the anything except naked ambition.
Inspiring, super productive, and exciting workplace full of bright, interesting colleagues with a passion for their work and a good sense of humor.
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 23, 2015
The most exciting part about this place, is that you learn something new every day. You get to work with smart people from all over the world who each have their own experience and expertise, and don't mind sharing it! This was particularly important for me because I hold a PhD in Chemical Engineering and was starting a post-doctoral position in Materials Science, so I had to learn a lot. But it proved to be a very exciting challenge that made me realize that you can do anything as long as you are motivated and persistent.
Of course, in research there are always moments that are tough, when you have performed the same experiment already a hundred times or tried to determine an unknown in already a million different ways. But then, the next day, you keep on trying and you succeed, giving you the biggest satisfaction ever!
At Stanford, creativity in research is highly supported and students are giving the opportunity to independently explore their talents to full extent. This is what I am seeking in my professional career.
Good for tenured faculty, terrible for staff
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 27, 2013
Want to work for a great place that demands 110% but will never pay you enough? This is it. Environment is very political and others will try to take credit for your work.
Pros
flex hours (for exempt employees), good family benefits
Cons
high local cost of living, limited advancement, low market salaries, unreasonable liberalism

4.3