Stanford University Employee Reviews in United States

Dream Location
Financial Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CaNovember 15, 2014
Beautiful campus, excellent benefits, free public transportation. Variety of places to, on the job training for advancement, good place for a career path.
Law and Trial Program
Lead America Participant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 12, 2015
Was a law and trial program. Participated in mock drafts and networked with professors. Awarded to me because of my GPA and interest in law.
It can be a great place to work
Life Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 18, 2012
I would assume the experience varies greatly with each lab. My lab was full of young professionals who also got their work done. Work life balance is what you want it to be. Pay is on the lower side (as oppose to industry) but good benefits.
Pros
nice campus, good benefits
Cons
lower pay
The Benchmark - Transformative - Enlightening
Stanford Management Company - Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 18, 2014
Professional, engaging, purpose driven, challenging, rewarding, motivational, uplifting, energizing, creative, cerebral, amusing, and so many more adjectives filled each and every day of my work with Stanford. Working in that environment day in and day out is like no other, I learned so much, grew so much professionally and personally. I was challenged to be the best version of myself I could be on a daily basis.
Do I miss my manager and my colleagues at Stanford? Certainly. Now my job is to pay it forward and keep learning, growing and improving.
Pros
covered parking! amazing campus, stellar management, casual run ins with malcolm gladwell or mark zuckerberg, parking next to condolezza rice... etcetera.
Cons
rush hour traffic on el camino / foothill exp / sand hill rd... and watch out for all the freshmen!
Productive with a positive environment
SEP Special Event Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Typical day at Stanford University Department of Public Safety: 7am-4pm day shift, morning briefing with all staff before sent out to our assignments, shift prep includes; dressed in uniform, equipment ready, role call, sign in, vehicle checks, and write daily reports.

Enjoyable part is the environment of my work place, being outdoors, and reporting any suspicious acts on campus. Hardest part is the influx of assignments, sometimes its hard to keep up with different assignments, but I am a quick learner, I adapt quickly.

Co-workers are all very experienced, I always learn something new everyday with my staff. They are great supporters. I never have a problem asking questions.
Pros
schedules are flexible
Cons
no benefits and only on-call, i need stability
Great staff and sense of community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 2, 2013
Large organization, somewhat unwieldy.
The Department of Public Safety is a serious department that oversees the safety of the campus community.
In the Records Department I reviewed officer cases and entered information into the department's database. Record-keeping is a fundamental part of the organization. All activities of this police department are public records and copies of cases were provided to the public with redacted confidential information.
My co-workers were dedicated and hard-working.
The hardest part of the job was doing 12 things at once well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was participating in events on campus and being able to take classes.
Pros
gorgeous campus, great staff
Cons
required work on weekends, lots of politics to navigate.
High standard scientific institute
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 25, 2015
I am happy that I got the chance to join this research group at the University of Stanford, and I gained a lot of valuable experiences.
Typical TA experience
Course Assistant for Introductory Electronics (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 14, 2015
If your professor (and your students) are good, your experience will be good. The pay includes tuition and a significant stipend, but is hard to get (obviously, need to be a student)
Pros
easy hours, easy work, relatively high pay
Cons
hard to get, have to be a student
Challenging, supportive environment
PhD candidate (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 11, 2015
This is a great place to get a PhD. I am well supported with adequate funding and student services, including teaching/learning, career development and networking events.
Pros
always free food at events, sometimes open bar
Cons
high standards, pressure to go into academia/research
One of the best jobs ever.
iD Tech Camps Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 2, 2014
A typical day at iD Tech is the most hectic, fun and exhausting day that anyone could imagine. It's only a summer job but you work 40-50 hours a week. While I was here I learned a lot about teaching, working with kids, working with other instructors and time management. Throughout the week I had to teach eight students from the ages of 7-10 how to make a basic video game. By the end of the week they could take their finished product home on a flash drive to show their friends and family. After one week of this class, the student will have learned functions in very basic programming (i.e. if and then statements). Multimedia Fusion Developer 2 is the software I used to teach these students how to make their video games. At the end of the week, all the students from the camp would have a raffle to win some prizes and a chance to pie an instructor in the face with whip cream or dump a bucket of water on them.

This job was definitely the best experience I've had while working and I have made a lot of great friends and memories while working there.
what I learned
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 27, 2015
Scientific Research
Working in Research Groups
Managing PhD and MS students
Presenting research to sponsor companies
Secure, but with a price
Data and Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 6, 2014
Excellent work-life balance in a fairly secure environment; however, do not rely on advancing up the ranks without (at the minimum) a master's degree; preferably a PhD. This includes all administrative positions as well. The level of work does not necessarily require such experience, but Stanford wishes to hold all of its employees to a certain standard, no matter how unfair it may be.
Pros
excellent work-life balance in a fairly secure environment.
Cons
difficult to advance without an advanced degree, regardless of experience.
Stable employment, nice place to work, management does not seem to support advancement.
Financial and Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 7, 2014
Fulfilling job - helping people in the healthcare field
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 3, 2012
I really enjoyed working at Stanford because of the atmosphere of fulfillment at work. Helping people out when they are at their most vulnerable, being ill, is a very fulfilling job. My co-workers all enjoyed working together as we all were working toward the same end goal of making sure the patients were taken care of to the best of our ability. I always felt that every patient was a VIP and worked as long as it took to make sure that everything was taken care of for quality of care.
Pros
good benefits - free commutes
Cons
hours were long and unstable at times
Great place
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 15, 2013
Great place to work for work life balance, not current with salary trend in CA
Pros
working with great minds
Cons
compensation
Post Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 3, 2015
I was here only for a one year contract as a post doc. I learned new things and it was very productive for my career there are lot of facilities to do science comfortabley I short period of time.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 17, 2015
Nice place to work, very good learning environment , nice and smart people around you , learning all the time. good family work balance
I love Stanford!
eProtocol System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 1, 2013
I get the chance to interact with doctors and researchers on a daily basis. The benefits are good, and the job is very stable, however, in my particular position, I don't have any upward mobility.
Pros
great benefits and educational options
Productive, friendly environment to work in
Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 22, 2013
Event Mangement: in our group we had a conference Manager and one other Event manager besides myelf. The events were given out by the conference manager and the Event Managers managed the events they were given. We work together as a team to work out any problems. We met once a week to discuss our Event Portfolio and our Event timelines.
Pros
staff friendly, great benefits and compensation, work environment was friendly
Productive and Innovative Place to Work
Coordinator, Executive Education (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 15, 2015
Productive and Innovative Place to Work
Enjoy the culture and perks of Stanford U.

4.3