Stanford University Employee Reviews in United States

Campus is beautiful.
Materials Science & Engineering Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 21, 2014
Stanford has a beautiful campus that is great for hiking and walking. Being among very bright students and faculty is also inspiring. Faculty and students come first. Staff are treated as second class citizens.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
staff are second class citizens.
Great place to work for
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 20, 2014
It is a great place to work for. They ask a lot out of their employees but they are also compensate appropriately. If you are a hard worker its a great company to work for.
Pros
amazing benefits
Cons
parking
This is UPS Stanfford, NOT Stanford University
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  13922 Stafford Rd, Stafford, TX 77477August 19, 2014
Working here was a good opportunity, wonderful if you was a college student needing to save for next years classes. Even though I started late and I couldn't finished school, the work with driver was a win win situation. Their was no forms of disrespect on my grounds of work, and I was able to get good with the neighbors and stores of that area (Westheimer Area). The job for me was to help the driver deliver whatever packages they needed.
Pros
even though its a lot of walking envoled there, its not complex and stressful
Cons
please be prepared to hear a coustmer "go off" if something is not right.
Not a bad place to work
Accountant International (Former Employee) –  Palo AltoAugust 18, 2014
I learned alot about different data entry systems. This was a fast paced environment which I enjoyed. Too bad there was only room for temp work and not permanent
Pros
they have a nice lunch truck that comes daily so no need to drive far for lunch
Cons
not permanent
Productive workplace where I get to use my creativity.
Clinical Trials Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 28, 2014
I enjoy using my skills across a variety of projects in a supportive environment.
Pros
benefits, flexibility, collaboration.
Great experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 23, 2014
As a research assistant, I really enjoyed working with a research lab at Stanford. I got to contribute to their ongoing projects and present a poster at a conference.
Fast pace, minimal rewards, deep management issues
Medical Simulation Technician (Former Employee) –  Immersive Learning Center, School of MedicineJuly 22, 2014
The ILC at Stanford's med school is known as one of the premier medical simulation programs in the country. They have a seemingly endless budget for equipment but suffer from severe staffing and management issues. Turnover is high, and for good reason.

This position affords the opportunity to work closely with brilliant and dedicated physicians, which can be very rewarding and sometimes fun. It does not afford much opportunity for advancement, recognition, or work-life balance. Four different people have held this particular position since the ILC opened in 2010, and only one of them is still working at Stanford.

Benefits are decent, although some can be difficult to navigate. Salary was very low in light of the amount of responsibility, specific skills required, and the extremely high cost of living in the area.
Pros
interesting work, intelligent colleagues, stanford name on your resume
Cons
micro-management, inflexible schedule, excessive meetings
Good freelance gig
Freelance writer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 13, 2014
I've enjoyed working with Stanford University. I have a good editor who works with me on my articles.
A good place to work.
Administrative Systems (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 2, 2014
I was a contractor and worked remote in Atlanta and was the senior
APEX developer on the team. i was required to work PST hours which was not an issue for me. Everyone was very professional and easy to work with. The initial contract was for 9 months but was asked to stay for another year. When the renewal expired I was told I could work for them full-time but would be required to move to Palo Alto, CA.
Pros
great place and group to work with.
Cons
contract expired... :(
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 29, 2014
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Pros
leadership
Cons
could be larger
Get to travel for work, I love to travel long distance.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 24, 2014
I mostly work with the communities. I always have the support I need.
A great learning experience
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 20, 2014
This was primarily a research position, but it also provided a great opportunity to interact with many great minds and highly personable individuals.
best place i ever worked
Computer Resource Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 13, 2014
i learned a lot and i love the people there. wish i could go back.
Secure, but with a price
Data and Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 6, 2014
Excellent work-life balance in a fairly secure environment; however, do not rely on advancing up the ranks without (at the minimum) a master's degree; preferably a PhD. This includes all administrative positions as well. The level of work does not necessarily require such experience, but Stanford wishes to hold all of its employees to a certain standard, no matter how unfair it may be.
Pros
excellent work-life balance in a fairly secure environment.
Cons
difficult to advance without an advanced degree, regardless of experience.
Quality Assurance
Manager, Licensing and Certification (Former Employee) –  CAJune 2, 2014
I worked as part of a team to ensure compliance with State and Federal regulations and JCAHO. Responsible for large portion of a Plan of Correction for a CMS survey in conjunction with General Services, Hospitality and Food Services and Clinical Nutrition. Then assisted with the re-survey, for which they passed.
Pros
excellent educational opportunities, autonomy, dynamic environment
Cons
poor to no onbarding, lack of teamwork, poor it support
Fun to work for.
STORAGE ARCHITECT (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 30, 2014
Depending on the department you are working for. It can be very fulfilling or it would be just another company.
School of Medicine not the best of environments
Executive Assistant/Asst to Chair (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 29, 2014
Stanford University is a great place. Try not to work for the School of medicine or clinics. Staff there is not treated as fairly or honestly as the rest of the university.
Pros
great benefits, including personal development reimbursement
Cons
school of medicine leadership
Best Position of my Career
Interim Patient Care Manager OSC (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 15, 2014
I loved this hospital, and only left to be closer to family in Florida.
Its School
Reinstated Student (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 9, 2014
Its Stanford University. What else is there to say. Some of the brightest minds in the world commingling on a 6 square mile campus.
The Health Care & University Environment Were Empowering
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stanford Uinversity, Palo Alto, Ca.May 2, 2014
The first day I stepped on to the grounds of Stanford University I felt extremely blessed and just knew I was poised to be more than I was prior to becoming an employee. The senior leadership promoted individual contributions, and invested in my growth from an Emotional Intelligence perspective, constantly grooming me to become a visionary and a leader. I also loved the attention to spirituality and meditation.

My immediate manager did not hold the same values as the senior leadership; under that leadership my confidence was constantly tested and my decisions were undermined. That person was the hardest part of working for Stanford. I truly feel that without that person's presence stifling my growth, I would have reached a higher level of visibility at the University based on my likability, creativity, and strong ability to build meaningful relationships.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Stanford Technical Leadership Program I successfully completed, and had begun applying all of what I had learned to personal time management, and in the coaching and developing of the union staff that reported to me. There was so much opportunity for growth until I was rarely bored.

It is because of Stanford University that I am thriving in this new post employment venture I embarked up in social networking and radio. I will be forever grateful for all I learned, and my time spent there.
Pros
relationships, investment in development, encouraged individuality, valued the theme of a balanced life, great pay
Cons
immediate management auditing, immediate management separating themselves from obligatory responsiblities to devlope managers

4.3