Stanislaus County Employee Reviews

Great place to start
FAMILY SERVICES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Turlock OutstationSeptember 8, 2016
If you are pursuing a career as a social worker - Stanislaus County is the perfect place to immerse yourself in the social work culture and profession. You will make forever work comrades and learn a great deal about policies and procedures.
Pros
supportive work environment
Cons
advancing can be a bit tricky
A lot of people
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 21, 2016
Processing lots of paperwork. Learned how to help customers that were in need of public assistance. Management was a little tough. Co-workers were the best. The long sitting and all the paperwork was the hardest part of job. Most enjoyable part was all the potlucks.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Scenic Drive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scenic DriveMay 3, 2016
Overall I believe the county is a great place to work for with good benefits and opportunities for advancement. I think while working for Stanislaus County it is important to build relationships with people within and outside your department. The building is quite old which takes getting used to. On the positive side having your own bathroom is very convenient.
Rewarding and fun environment with children.
Daycare Provider (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAMay 22, 2016
Organized planning took a role in my everyday life caring for multiple children. I would prepare healthy meals and snacks throughout the day and create a fun hands on learning environment for the children. I learned the importance of patience and how to give each child the 1 on 1 attention that they need so that they are successful. I enjoyed seeing the children excel and creating lasting bonds with them.
Pros
work from home
Cons
Not a very good place to work
Administrative Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 6, 2016
I worked for the budget department manager. She was not very friendly. I left a job of 5 years to go to the county. I was told it was full time, good pay, job stability. I was only there for 2 months and was laid off due to lack of work.
Loved working for this county.
Deputy Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 3, 2016
I loved working for this county. I learned a lot about what it takes to be a Probation Officer. Being a a peace officer is very important to the community you work in and your perspective on the people in the cities we live in can change for our own safety.
No comment
Family Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 30, 2016
I prefer not to rate previous employers because everyone has a different experience in an agency and I would not like to be bias.
The divisions and people I worked with were exceptional.
Accountant I, Treasurer-Tax Collector (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 2, 2013
The positions that I held, had job duties, tasks and deadlines clearly defined. Training and advancement were highly encouraged. Management was open and approachable. They encouraged assisting others and cross-training similar positions. There was camaraderie between the ranks. Each person performed their tasks with accuracy, dedication and with good work ethics. The interactions I had between other departments flowed smoothly, which created great working relationships. The hardest part was leaving my co-workers for each promotion. I enjoyed interacting and learning from the clerks, attorneys, investigators, officers, financial managers and collectors.
Pros
Excellent benefits and training
Cons
Knowing that there was a need for the justice system.
Warning-do not apply!
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Community Services AgencyJanuary 8, 2013
As a whole the social workers, clerical, janitorial, and tech support are some of the friendliest and hardest working people I have ever known. Unfortunately everyone in management from supervisors upward to HR and directors with few exceptions are the most dishonest, crooked individuals I have ever come across. There is a reason the last 23 social workers hired lasted less than 6 months and why 16 of the most experienced SWs have left the agency within the past 3 years! This agency is going downhill faster than an avalanche and believe me you can't outrun it and you don't want to be crushed by it because the health benefits won't cover your expenses and you won't live long enough to reach retirement which amounts to little more than what you have currently hiding under your bed plus extra funds from recycling! STEER CLEAR! THIS IS YOUR LAST FAIR WARNING! I'm currently looking for a job elsewhere.
Pros
still thinking long and hard to come up with one...
Cons
everything one should expect to value in a career!
Not open minded
Clinical Service Technician II (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 1, 2016
A typical day working with the county of Stanislaus was stressful. Always felt like your walking on egg shells. Employees within the company were not professional.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Healthcare
DO NOT apply for work with CSA IT
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Community Services AgencyNovember 30, 2012
15 years ago working for Stanislaus County was seen as a great place to work with excellent retirement benefits. My first 8 years were great. I promoted and received training opportunities. My last 2 years were extrememly stressful and eventually caused me to seek employment elsewhere.

This specific department has individuals in management that provide unfair reviews, target individuals and harass and belittle you. You will be overworked and underpaid.

CSA HR will not help you in your grievance.
Cons
micromanaged, harrassment
Great Place To Work
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Modesto, Ca.January 11, 2012
I have been working with the County for three years and have enjoyed my time here. The senior management group at the health Services Agency where I work are absolutley amazing and very supportive of my pursuit of a Safe workplace.
Pros
very supportive management, positive safety culture
Cons
reduction in benefits and workforce
A positive learning experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 3, 2012
My brief period volunteering for Stanislaus County provided me with the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the job environment after an extended leave to raise my family. The job allowed me to quickly resume and enhance my existing computer skills and encouraged me to return to school in order to further prepare for the job market. I appreciate my time there and the confidence it inspired in me.
Professional group
Family Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 20, 2015
Training encouraged for all staff. Management supportive for changes for staff. Co workers very team players. The work environment supportive and great.
N/a
Special Project Coordinator - Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 26, 2015
My place of employment allows open communication between staff, participants and upper management. Thus, leading to a cohesive and learning environment for all.
Pros
No micro managing and room for growth if motivated.
Cons
At times work can be too repetitive.
Productive and not a fun workplace
Application Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 23, 2012
A typical day at work as an Application Specialist is to assist end user with day to day documents from scanning to data entry processing. Keeping data structure integrity clean of any duplications associated with clear images.

Management is always is micro manage by department head. Where they do 10% less work and we do the other 90%. Manager writes unfair performance reviews.

Working with co-workers are good to work with. I get along well with them.

The most enjoyable part of the job. I can't really say to be honest.
Pros
1 hour lunch, retirement plan
Cons
unfair performance reviews, micro managed, work furloughs with percent pay cuts.
RUN Don't Walk from this Agency
Former employee (Former Employee) –  modesto, caJuly 23, 2014
They promote their buddies, not those truly qualified. They do not care about the integrity of the programs, just how good management look. They keep less competent workers and "reward" the excelling workers with more work(their work?) Poor morale, Poor supervision. A Lot of lazy workers that are just collecting a pay check(those are ones that get promoted). They have become very strict with their sick leave policy and various other polices. Reminds me of a boot camp. They do not appreciate their workers. If you like slave work apply here.
Pros
treated like a slave
Cons
all of the above
Government Employment, Lay-offs, and Bumping
Software Developer/Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 17, 2013
Having been laid off twice from positions that were deleted was an eye-opener into the concept of 'Bumping'. This practice at schools and government positions was something I was not familiar with, nor something that I agree with. They basically give you someone else's position if you held that title at any time in your past employment history, even if it was at another agency. Needless to say, the last time that my position was deleted the issue came up with the affected employee at my cubicle as I arrived to work. This person was informed that I would be taking their job before I was informed that mine was going away. Not a nice way to start the day. I chose not to bump figuring that I had skills, and would find other employment. My last day was two days after accepting an award for my last project in 2010. It is very hard to get employment in private sector with only government employment history. First, there is the stigma of being a past government employee. Second, there is the assumption that you have no other experience that would apply to the private sector. It has been an education, and like all education, it did not come cheap.
Pros
Benefits, Fair Pay
Cons
See the Review
Work with large case loads of families for state and local services
Family Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Process case loads up to 300 per month. Interview clients for potential state and federal benefits. Interpret rules and regulations as needed. Establish close working relationships with county liasons for other potential programs.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Fast paced, continuing changes of state regulations
If you never make mistakes, this library is for you.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  LibraryJanuary 19, 2013
Even with talk of learning through mistakes and giving chances to improve, this place of employment destroyed my spirit. I worked very hard to do a good job. Even if I did 99 out of 100 tasks very well, that 1 task I had trouble with was brought to the forefront. Don't apply. There is a difference between striving for excellence and demanding perfection.
Cons
perfect people only need apply.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stanislaus County. Our community is ready to answer.

Stanislaus County Reviews by Location