Stanislaus County

Stanislaus County Employer Reviews

Enjoyed my time there
Stanislaus County (Former Employee), Modesto, CAMarch 31, 2014
My job entailed many different aspects of the office. I had some really great co-workers and mentors that I was able to learn a lot from.
Work with large case loads of families for state and local services
Family Service Specialist II (Former Employee), Modesto, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: stability
Cons: fast paced, continuing changes of state regulations
Process case loads up to 300 per month. Interview clients for potential state and federal benefits. Interpret rules and regulations as needed. Establish close working relationships with county liasons for other potential programs.
Government Employment, Lay-offs, and Bumping
Software Developer/Analyst II (Former Employee), Modesto, CAOctober 17, 2013
Pros: benefits, fair pay
Cons: see the review
Having been laid off twice from positions that were deleted was an eye-opener into the concept of 'Bumping'. This practice at schools and government positions was something I was not familiar with, nor something that I agree with. They basically give you someone else's position if you held that title at any time in your past employment history, even – more... if it was at another agency. Needless to say, the last time that my position was deleted the issue came up with the affected employee at my cubicle as I arrived to work. This person was informed that I would be taking their job before I was informed that mine was going away. Not a nice way to start the day. I chose not to bump figuring that I had skills, and would find other employment. My last day was two days after accepting an award for my last project in 2010. It is very hard to get employment in private sector with only government employment history. First, there is the stigma of being a past government employee. Second, there is the assumption that you have no other experience that would apply to the private sector. It has been an education, and like all education, it did not come cheap. – less
Busy office with a lot of opportunities to learn
Supervising Account/Admin Clerk II (Current Employee), Modesto, CAJune 24, 2013
Make sure the office is fully stocked and ready to open in the morning. Supervise and help out where needed. We had 12 managers, three co-workers, and 10 clerks under my supervision.

The hardest part of the job was supervising. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the clients.
The divisions and people I worked with were exceptional.
Accountant I, Treasurer-Tax Collector (Former Employee), Modesto, CAMay 2, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits and training
Cons: knowing that there was a need for the justice system.
The positions that I held, had job duties, tasks and deadlines clearly defined. Training and advancement were highly encouraged. Management was open and approachable. They encouraged assisting others and cross-training similar positions. There was camaraderie between the ranks. Each person performed their tasks with accuracy, dedication and with good – more... work ethics. The interactions I had between other departments flowed smoothly, which created great working relationships. The hardest part was leaving my co-workers for each promotion. I enjoyed interacting and learning from the clerks, attorneys, investigators, officers, financial managers and collectors. – less
If you never make mistakes, this library is for you.
Library Assistant (Former Employee), LibraryJanuary 19, 2013
Cons: perfect people only need apply.
Even with talk of learning through mistakes and giving chances to improve, this place of employment destroyed my spirit. I worked very hard to do a good job. Even if I did 99 out of 100 tasks very well, that 1 task I had trouble with was brought to the forefront. Don't apply. There is a difference between striving for excellence and demanding perfection.
WARNING-DO NOT APPLY!
Social Worker (Current Employee), Community Services AgencyJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: still thinking long and hard to come up with one...
Cons: everything one should expect to value in a career!
As a whole the social workers, clerical, janitorial, and tech support are some of the friendliest and hardest working people I have ever known. Unfortunately everyone in management from supervisors upward to HR and directors with few exceptions are the most dishonest, crooked individuals I have ever come across. There is a reason the last 23 social – more... workers hired lasted less than 6 months and why 16 of the most experienced SWs have left the agency within the past 3 years! This agency is going downhill faster than an avalanche and believe me you can't outrun it and you don't want to be crushed by it because the health benefits won't cover your expenses and you won't live long enough to reach retirement which amounts to little more than what you have currently hiding under your bed plus extra funds from recycling! STEER CLEAR! THIS IS YOUR LAST FAIR WARNING! I'm currently looking for a job elsewhere. – less
A positive learning experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Modesto, CADecember 3, 2012
My brief period volunteering for Stanislaus County provided me with the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the job environment after an extended leave to raise my family. The job allowed me to quickly resume and enhance my existing computer skills and encouraged me to return to school in order to further prepare for the job market. I appreciate my – more... time there and the confidence it inspired in me. – less
DO NOT apply for work with CSA IT
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Community Services AgencyNovember 30, 2012
Cons: micromanaged, harrassment
15 years ago working for Stanislaus County was seen as a great place to work with excellent retirement benefits. My first 8 years were great. I promoted and received training opportunities. My last 2 years were extrememly stressful and eventually caused me to seek employment elsewhere.

This specific department has individuals in management that provide – more... unfair reviews, target individuals and harass and belittle you. You will be overworked and underpaid.

CSA HR will not help you in your grievance. – less
interaction with elderly
Caregiver (Former Employee), Empire, CASeptember 14, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no health care
this job is for those who enjoy and have the patience to help others.
Great workplace
Administrative Clerk II (Former Employee), Modesto, CASeptember 13, 2012
I worked in 3 different areas of Stanislaus County. Each position allowed growth in my skills and remaining teachable allowed me to learn more.
Productive and not a fun workplace
Application Specialist III (Current Employee), Modesto, CAApril 23, 2012
Pros: 1 hour lunch, retirement plan
Cons: unfair performance reviews, micro managed, work furloughs with percent pay cuts.
A typical day at work as an Application Specialist is to assist end user with day to day documents from scanning to data entry processing. Keeping data structure integrity clean of any duplications associated with clear images.

Management is always is micro manage by department head. Where they do 10% less work and we do the other 90%. Manager writes – more... unfair performance reviews.

Working with co-workers are good to work with. I get along well with them.

The most enjoyable part of the job. I can't really say to be honest. – less
Great Place To Work
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee), Modesto, Ca.January 11, 2012
Pros: very supportive management, positive safety culture
Cons: reduction in benefits and workforce
I have been working with the County for three years and have enjoyed my time here. The senior management group at the health Services Agency where I work are absolutley amazing and very supportive of my pursuit of a Safe workplace.