Stanley Black & Decker

Stanley Black & Decker Employee Reviews in United States

You can do better.
Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2016
To be considered for the Sales Coordinator role in the SMDP program at Stanley Black & Decker you need; a recent 4 year degree from a big school (think Alabama or Michigan) with a solid GPA, a high energy cheerleader type personality, and excellent communications skills. If you have those qualities there are dozens
of better companies that want you also.

The power tool business is highly cyclical. During the recession in
2008 this company laid off over half of its sales force and imposed a 10% salary reduction on the remaining employees. The following year brought 5 mandatory unpaid furlough days reducing your income further. Recessions are a fact of life. It would be wise to choose a company that was less exposed to a downturn.

The job itself is not hard, but there is a lack of direction from senior management. It seemed like the smartest managers were always finding jobs outside of the company sometimes leaving for a competitor. The work atmosphere (you will spend most of your time inside a big box home improvement store) is not professional.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Constant Firedrills
Recent Grad
Operations SLP (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 4, 2016
The culture depends which facility you work at. At some of the plants,the culture can be pretty negative. At others, the people are really nice. Typically get the response "that is not my job" and they are resistant to change. However, I have met some really great people. In corporate, be sure to start in the field or department you really want to work for. Even though it is a huge company and lots of opportunities, the transition between department is not very seamless and more often than not will not let you transfer.
Pros
401K matched up to 7%, employee discounts
Cons
Political, plants segregated from corporate. Need to work better together.
Do not work for them !!!!!!!
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2016
Horrible place to work they have no respect for employees or their families .. All they care about is getting the numbers and will change your hours as they see fit with no heads up.. Employees there 10 years make as much as a temp starting out... They don't give you enough people to get the job done and are to stupid to realize why people are tripping over themselves to try and meet the numbers ..the little help we do get are from temps who come in high and operate machinery .. AND STILL MAKE MORW THAN 10 year vets!!! Everyone there is trying to get out.. I urge do not waste your time with this dead end job . This is the Indianapolis plant .
Cons
Long hours low pay no life no respect . Poor management, unsafe
Great working environment, offset by top management & HR
project engineer (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 14, 2016
Great place to work- BUT- know that you are a part of the financial equation to be minimized, not an assert to be invested in. Over the last 2 years we've had the best years on record, but no raises for anybody. Executive bonuses were very generous however.

If you can get over that, it's worth working here for a while to get the experience and the company name on the resume.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Compensation
Good people, and fun to work with, but intense position
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCMarch 29, 2016
A typical day included many meetings and reviews of promotions and new product offerings, purchasing approvals, scheduling review and supervisory meetings.

I learned how to manage my reaction to the stress and how to get better results from my team through delegation and holding them accountable.

The position I was in had several bosses; I enjoyed my work although it was stressful at times.

My co-workers were very supportive and hardworking.

Hardest part of my job was covering all the bases on a promotion or Launch with the entire team so that nothing fell through.

The most enjoyable part of my job was every time we succeeded at a new promotion or launch and being able to congratulate my team and reward them so they knew I did appreciate their work.
Pros
5 weeks of vacation and good friends
Cons
Intense and long days more often than not- 60 and 70 hour weeks
Its a great place to work for, very well organized, main goal is safety over production.
2nd shift Inbound Replenish Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAMarch 24, 2016
as the great place that is to work and organized, their discipline is excellent, manager are very demanding but offer you help to succeed at any task assigned. The benefits are excellent and you will always have equipment to accomplish any job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Extenuating hours which are mandatory even on weekends.
Very friendly and fun co-workers to hang around with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CANovember 11, 2015
*My trip was about 40 miles one way. So I would arrive about 30 minutes early everyday to work to avoid an unforseen traffic issues. I would answer upwards of 80+ calls per day ranging from light issues to the more heavier ones.
*I learned how to communicate to the everyday customer and the not-so everyday customer. I learned how to proficiently use Microsoft Excel and Word and well as utilizing the companies Immense product catalog.
*Management was very friendly and supportive of its employees.
*Co-workers really help take the edge off of very heavy laden days in the form of help and support.
*Mondays - where the overflow of customers from the previous weekend call in.
*Meeting with co-workers after work sometimes, or just on break.
Pros
Very friendly and supportive environment
Cons
Low wages
Decent Workplace - GSM
Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTDecember 6, 2015
Colleagues are good and mostly young and transitional, but the overall culture is conservative and traditional in the HQ @ New Britain. This is the type of place where you sit in your cubicle and talk to no one or people assume you aren't working.

Typical work week is 8-5:30 for most, but you will need to work more than that to keep up. Company is extremely lean across all corporate divisions so you will be swamped all year round. Analysts to Directors do essentially the same job, but with varying levels of projects managed. There are no administrators thus you will be bogged down with that type of work. This is an unproductive time drain due to most analysis and work being done manually since there is little in the way of IS integration and no BI resources.

Company has been in cost reduction mode for years and that isn't looking to change so you will be doing everything manually with little to no access to software you would expect at a fortune 500. The company is desperately behind technologically and the executive management doesn't get it. There is a plan to get the company up the speed but it has existed for a decade with little progress made since the top brass won't invest in it. Standard processes you would find in place at other companies of this size aren't and this creates a lot of ambiguity.

The company has grown through M&A activity with no team in place to execute integration properly. 90+ ERP's.

Pay is typically below average yet workload is above average and the office is high stress. Turn-over is regular with most below director level leaving
  more... after 2 years if not before. This isn't an office that particularly values it's employees even when you take on more and exceed targets. You will get a pat on the back. Yay.

There is little trust from executive management thus you will be doing mostly cost reduction with only lip-service paid to soft savings, process improvement, functional transformation ect.

The positive is that you will gain a lot of experience quickly in multiple categories by default since they can't hold on to employees for long and run a skeleton crew. They tend to recruit outside the company for director level and above positions.

I would recommend this for a young person with little personal responsibilities and looking to develop or someone making a career switch into procurement.

Company has a poor holiday schedule with nothing between New Year's and Memorial Day. They think that the stock performance and EPS is the only measure of success, but SBD has rode the same wave as everyone else since 2009.

Overall, I liked working here and it was a good opportunity for development, but long-term it asks for more than it gives with more fruitful opportunities available.
Pros
Many projects and opportunity to gain experience, cafeteria is inexpensive
Cons
poor work-life balance, holiday/vacation, pay, conservative office
Challenging and Highly Rewarding
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 12, 2016
Field Service is challenging and highly rewarding for those who enjoy traveling a lot and who like physically and mentally demanding roles. There is a lot of independence when it comes to how you manage your time each day, and your manager isn't there breathing over your shoulder as long as the job is completed correctly and on time.
Pros
Independence, Pay Structure and Benefits. (Company Vehicle!)
Cons
Some 60 hour work weeks. Away from home during the week.
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCOctober 25, 2015
While I enjoy working here, I feel I cannot give a five star rating due to my personal beliefs. I believe that every company should strive to be better on a daily basis. If you are already at the top, you tend to not want to go any further. As with any company, it has weaknesses, but the good outweighs those. They strive to become better and continue to improve each year. A great place to work. My day mainly consist of tracking inventory and resolving issues with overages/shortages. I have learned that certain things take a little more thought and consideration than other in order to resolve correctly. Management has been very supportive of me and my suggestions over the years I have been employed. I have a great repore with all my co-workers, and enjoy helping them when I can. The hardest part of my job is not being able to resolve all the issues as quickly as I would like due to other people taking extra time. I love the sense of urgency that I need in order to get the job done. It makes the job more rewarding to look back and see where you have been.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Overtime scheduling
Fast paced design company focused on innovation and quality.
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 3, 2016
The mechanical design process at DeWalt allows an engineer to be exposed to a wide variety of mechanical and electrical engineering disciplines.
Pros
Great product. Great career experience.
Clean and friendly place
Production Worker/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIJanuary 7, 2016
Very friendly place to work,very team oriented.Management is always availiable to talk to any time of the day.The hardest part of the job is getting use to hours.but i guess that takes time..The most enjoyable part of the job i would say are the people ,
Nice Team and Good place to work
Offshore Lead / Onsite Lead (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 29, 2016
Work Life and Personal Life is balanced while Working with SBD. I have got good set of Colleagues. enjoyed working at SBD.
A Very Bad Place to Work - Avoid!
Professional Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasMay 16, 2016
Worst job of my career. Unreasonable expectations by upper management including unrealistic deadlines, excessive work hours, no support for professional development, employees expected to take vacation time for doctor appointments and plant shut-downs. Leadership by threats and intimidation lead to an oppressive, punitive work environment with heavy turnover of professional staff, including three plant managers in two years' time.
Pros
competitive salary and benefits
Cons
terrible work environment and zero work-life balance
Productive and encouraging workplace
Supply Chain Planner (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTFebruary 21, 2016
I enjoy working at Stanley and I feel motivated by everyone around. Great work culture and comfortable working environment.
High paced respectable compdany to work for
Help Desk Sen Assoc Network Access Control Admin (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTSeptember 16, 2015
A busy work place with support given at hand when needed even with upper management. Multitasking was an everyday must and being able to work quickly and effectively was always extremely important. The level of respect and appreciation was also important coming from upper management. Since change is always happening to make the company better specifically in the IT dept, you always had to be ready for change. Great company to work for.
Management support is lacking
Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 7, 2016
They reward the top, and never the middle managers who are actually the ones getting the job done.

They discriminate against women and age. They like to get rid of employees after they get to be older.

The most enjoyable part of the job is coaching and helping others to grow in their skill set and accomplish things they never thought they would be able to do.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
MEN run everything, few women
Cover your butt because no one will help you if you mess up.
Customer Monitoring Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 22, 2015
working here was a great and interesting experience. Everyday was the same; on the phone calling customers regarding their security system. It was a very challenging job at times and also very tedious. There were great benefits, but lacked in the compensation area.
Pros
set schedule; designated days off
Cons
cold atmosphere; not clear on how to handle phone calls
Overall ok company to work for.
National Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 9, 2016
Good upper management that is willing to help with employee needs. Some team leads are not the best and handle themselves in a way that can make an employee's day stressful. If you're looking for a job that you can easily move around to different departments this would be great company to work for.
Pleasant workplace
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cheraw, SCJanuary 14, 2016
My day included supervising the shipping department, helping load/unload and receiving freight. Entering Purchase Orders in SAP,verifying inventory/shipment records and correcting the errors. The hardest part of the job was the mental pressure it placed on me. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with others and meet new people while getting the tasks at hand completed.