Stanley Black & Decker

Stanley Black & Decker Employee Reviews

Pleasant workplace
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cheraw, SCJanuary 14, 2016
My day included supervising the shipping department, helping load/unload and receiving freight. Entering Purchase Orders in SAP,verifying inventory/shipment records and correcting the errors. The hardest part of the job was the mental pressure it placed on me. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with others and meet new people while getting the tasks at hand completed.
Challenging and Highly Rewarding
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 12, 2016
Field Service is challenging and highly rewarding for those who enjoy traveling a lot and who like physically and mentally demanding roles. There is a lot of independence when it comes to how you manage your time each day, and your manager isn't there breathing over your shoulder as long as the job is completed correctly and on time.
Pros
Independence, Pay Structure and Benefits. (Company Vehicle!)
Cons
Some 60 hour work weeks. Away from home during the week.
Clean and friendly place
Production Worker/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIJanuary 7, 2016
Very friendly place to work,very team oriented.Management is always availiable to talk to any time of the day.The hardest part of the job is getting use to hours.but i guess that takes time..The most enjoyable part of the job i would say are the people ,
Decent Workplace - GSM
Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTDecember 6, 2015
Colleagues are good and mostly young and transitional, but the overall culture is conservative and traditional in the HQ @ New Britain. This is the type of place where you sit in your cubicle and talk to no one or people assume you aren't working.

Typical work week is 8-5:30 for most, but you will need to work more than that to keep up. Company is extremely lean across all corporate divisions so you will be swamped all year round. Analysts to Directors do essentially the same job, but with varying levels of projects managed. There are no administrators thus you will be bogged down with that type of work. This is an unproductive time drain due to most analysis and work being done manually since there is little in the way of IS integration and no BI resources.

Company has been in cost reduction mode for years and that isn't looking to change so you will be doing everything manually with little to no access to software you would expect at a fortune 500. The company is desperately behind technologically and the executive management doesn't get it. There is a plan to get the company up the speed but it has existed for a decade with little progress made since the top brass won't invest in it. Standard processes you would find in place at other companies of this size aren't and this creates a lot of ambiguity.

The company has grown through M&A activity with no team in place to execute integration properly. 90+ ERP's.

Pay is typically below average yet workload is above average and the office is high stress. Turn-over is regular with most below director level leaving
  more... after 2 years if not before. This isn't an office that particularly values it's employees even when you take on more and exceed targets. You will get a pat on the back. Yay.

There is little trust from executive management thus you will be doing mostly cost reduction with only lip-service paid to soft savings, process improvement, functional transformation ect.

The positive is that you will gain a lot of experience quickly in multiple categories by default since they can't hold on to employees for long and run a skeleton crew. They tend to recruit outside the company for director level and above positions.

I would recommend this for a young person with little personal responsibilities and looking to develop or someone making a career switch into procurement.

Company has a poor holiday schedule with nothing between New Year's and Memorial Day. They think that the stock performance and EPS is the only measure of success, but SBD has rode the same wave as everyone else since 2009.

Overall, I liked working here and it was a good opportunity for development, but long-term it asks for more than it gives with more fruitful opportunities available.
Pros
Many projects and opportunity to gain experience, cafeteria is inexpensive
Cons
poor work-life balance, holiday/vacation, pay, conservative office
Very friendly and fun co-workers to hang around with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CANovember 11, 2015
*My trip was about 40 miles one way. So I would arrive about 30 minutes early everyday to work to avoid an unforseen traffic issues. I would answer upwards of 80+ calls per day ranging from light issues to the more heavier ones.
*I learned how to communicate to the everyday customer and the not-so everyday customer. I learned how to proficiently use Microsoft Excel and Word and well as utilizing the companies Immense product catalog.
*Management was very friendly and supportive of its employees.
*Co-workers really help take the edge off of very heavy laden days in the form of help and support.
*Mondays - where the overflow of customers from the previous weekend call in.
*Meeting with co-workers after work sometimes, or just on break.
Pros
Very friendly and supportive environment
Cons
Low wages
love manufacturing
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IANovember 3, 2015
I typically get to work early and check office emails and then have meeting with 1st shift supervisor. Then I check work load for the day,
at start of shift I check to make sure operators are at work stations and what jobs are hot and find out if they need anything for the days operations. next would be meeting with schedulers to find out what customer demands are. Then back to office to check yesterdays production and where operators were lacking and who out performed, then another meeting with workers to go over safety items, production and any memo's or information and listen to operators suggestions, next would be to work on projects, 5's lean or kaizen projects to improve production, reduce down and run times, safety audits, 5's charts, layered audits, mixed parts audits,
plus ok operators 1st pc production, also work with maintenance to solve problems and schedule repairs
Pros
love manufacturing, team building and trouble shooting
Cons
poor comunications between managment and 2nd shift managment and all workes
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCOctober 25, 2015
While I enjoy working here, I feel I cannot give a five star rating due to my personal beliefs. I believe that every company should strive to be better on a daily basis. If you are already at the top, you tend to not want to go any further. As with any company, it has weaknesses, but the good outweighs those. They strive to become better and continue to improve each year. A great place to work. My day mainly consist of tracking inventory and resolving issues with overages/shortages. I have learned that certain things take a little more thought and consideration than other in order to resolve correctly. Management has been very supportive of me and my suggestions over the years I have been employed. I have a great repore with all my co-workers, and enjoy helping them when I can. The hardest part of my job is not being able to resolve all the issues as quickly as I would like due to other people taking extra time. I love the sense of urgency that I need in order to get the job done. It makes the job more rewarding to look back and see where you have been.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Overtime scheduling
Nice place to work.
HRIS Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2015
The employees are approachable and easy to work with. The company has been in business for a very long time which allows for a sense of stability in your job. This company offers great benefis and ample vacation time.
Broad Reach System Integrator
Senior National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2015
Highly qualified company to perform virtually all aspects of security integrations. Capable of both physical and electronic security products and services.
Toxic Environment In Arizona Branch
Technician (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 25, 2015
Management and HR dump on all employees. This company shows No respect to employees and is void of any Integrity. Constant turnover of technicians because of the way they are treated. Run away as fast as you can from Stanley!
Pros
1 Pro is outweighed by the MANY Cons
Cons
Where do I start?
Cover your butt because no one will help you if you mess up.
Customer Monitoring Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 22, 2015
working here was a great and interesting experience. Everyday was the same; on the phone calling customers regarding their security system. It was a very challenging job at times and also very tedious. There were great benefits, but lacked in the compensation area.
Pros
set schedule; designated days off
Cons
cold atmosphere; not clear on how to handle phone calls
High paced respectable compdany to work for
Help Desk Sen Assoc Network Access Control Admin (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTSeptember 16, 2015
A busy work place with support given at hand when needed even with upper management. Multitasking was an everyday must and being able to work quickly and effectively was always extremely important. The level of respect and appreciation was also important coming from upper management. Since change is always happening to make the company better specifically in the IT dept, you always had to be ready for change. Great company to work for.
Warehouse Admin
Warehouse Admin (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIAugust 4, 2015
Send ASN and print shipping docs. yeah sounds easy enough, what they don't tell you is all ASN's are time sensitive, uses an outdated system, and that there about 150 ASN to send in one shift and you have to them all in 8 hours or get yelled at about OT.
Pros
lots of incentives, employee discounts, very low turn-over rate
Cons
poor training, backstabbing, overworked employees, no lunches or breaks
Solid Company
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 24, 2015
Excellent benefits and PTO. High Volume of work that keeps you busy all day. Friendly environment. Advancement opportunities after you have proven your abilities.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
High Volume and Stress
Productive and well mannered
Material Handler/Floater (Current Employee) –  Cheraw, SCJuly 23, 2015
Helps out with social skills, everyone is professional. Love the environment, well rounded hands on training. Learned very much in 3 years.
Stayed Busy, Something Different Everyday, Work For A Popular Name
Inventory Specialist / Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYJuly 4, 2015
• Inventory Specialist / Materials Coordinator
• Daily interaction with SAP for inventory control, production workflow, scheduling, etc.
• Controlled outgoing & incoming materials for production & work flow
• Constantly working with quality control on all material for inspections with research & development
• Analyzing data, building spreadsheets, data entry, creating charts, constantly studying daily, weekly, monthly numbers & results for continuous improvements
• Daily cycle counts on all inventory discrepancies & issues
• Continuous planning with vendors & constant communications on past due issues
• Supply planning based on 13 week schedule controlling production flow & demand
• Occasionally travel to vendors when needed or any issue & transporting materials with company truck and trailer for our facility to meet demands
• Interacting with different teams in Kaizen's to implement new ideas for improving working practices, efficiency, workflow, development, etc.
Pros
I did my own scheduling, priorities, unless my boss specified task to me.
Cons
Couldn't advance no more in the position I was in.
Teamwork - An enthusiatic group working together to get the job done.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNJune 30, 2015
There is a team that work hand in hand, from being materials in the building, to processing them, to assembling, packing and shipping them out to end users. They are always there, and glad to pick up slack if someone is tied up with other task.
Pros
Finding the right person to talk to with the company being so large.
Cons
There are alot of great people working there, with a wealth of knowledge.
Better than Mc Donalds
Loader (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCMay 21, 2015
This place has potential to be an awesome company to work for, and in fact I continually hear that it used to be before Stanley bought them out some years ago. The way they handle communicating and delegating overtime is like on a need to know basis, they will wait till the last day of the week to tell you you have to come in on your 6th day. The pay is mediocre, they have a lot of temps so most of the people who work there, don't really care about their job because they are temps and have no intention of sticking around for long. The health insurance is ok, but not the greatest, other company benefits and perks are typical but not outstanding. Communication and company moral, pride, integrity are blow par. The over all atmosphere is oppressive. It's terribly hot in the summers, icy cold in the winters, and there is a general sense that the employer does not care about the employee beyond making numbers and production. Straight 8 hour shift, one 20 min break for the whole night. Not fun.
Cons
short breaks, too hot, weak pay
Customer Service with a Ding
Customer Fulfillment Representative/Tech Support (Former Employee) –  New Britain CTMay 15, 2015
Busy Call Center averaging about 100-120 calls daily. Daily phone stats must be met. All calls monitored and graded. Expected call stats must meet 96% or higher. On top of the regular business related calls which included anything from pricing to order status, I also answered a Tech support line for Bostitch pneumatic tools. Friendly environment, with great co-workers. Hardest of the job was dealing with irate customers, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. The most enjoyment for me was positive feedback from our customers.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
CSR's never included in activities
SB&D - Not a good place to work
DATA ENTRY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 6, 2015
Horrible consistency with policies, supervisors and management treat their teams with disrespect and talk down to us. Just a horrible environment to work in.
Pros
NONE!
Cons
no consistancy with expectations from one person to another in same roll, High pressure and intense work enviroment