Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Industry
Project Cost Controller (Current Employee) –  Louisiana and Alberta, CanadaSeptember 22, 2016
There are great opportunities for collaborative efforts within the US and Canada. The downturn in oil & gas is trying, but this is standard across the board within the industry.
Can't manage projects
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MESeptember 10, 2016
Large projects underwater by millions and it takes "management" by surprise. Woefully behind the times with low skilled workers at the helm. Projects listed on website are ten years old executed by acquisitions where the leadership has bailed to successful companies.

No repeat business and lawsuits filed by companies they have screwed. Earnings destroyed by execution problems and the stock nosediving.
Pros
Decent parking
Cons
Arrogance of the unqualified
Corporate mentality and do no care about employees and their families.
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 1, 2016
Keeping community in mind is their motto yet they could care less about their employees. Not impressed with management and all the extra bull with the company. They waste lots of time and money. They bought our smaller company last year and after a few months starting letting people go, first starting with admin, accounting, then laying off CAD people, engineers and scientists. Not impressed with this large Canadian company.
An advanced surveying and engineering company
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 30, 2016
The day by day is dynamic and you can learn every day because of the team experience. my co-workers are good friends. the hardest part of the job is the summer in the road... too hot. the most enjoyable part is everything else.
Not a bad place to work.
computer drafter (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYAugust 19, 2016
I'd say it's a typical office job. Most of the time employees work independently, which I liked. The only thing that struck me (and may not be so strange to you) is that the people are very smart and social, so quiet people like me might look a bit of a funny duck, nevertheless, such a person will be respected there as long as he/she is an honest worker.
Pros
Vacation time, clean environment.
Cons
Office can be noisy at times. Some of the work may seem too routine.
Ominous, unprofessional, and unwelcoming work environment
Protection & Control Designer (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLAugust 16, 2016
If you are a perfect person who makes no mistakes, you like working extra hours without extra pay or even recognition for it, and especially if you like constant ridicule and pre-meditated judgement, then this is the work environment for you. Don't get me wrong, most people in my experience at Stantec were friendly and professional. Unfortunately, this could not be said for most of the managers. I HIGHLY discourage anyone without direct experience to the client to avoid this job at all costs. It was extremely difficult to go in to work everyday when you felt like an outcast, and any mistake you made was put under a microscope and scrutinized. The work is challenging and diligence to details is extremely important. Because of that, re-work is unavoidable. I would expect when re-work happens, a solid, cohesive team would come together, receive structured feedback, and learn from the mistakes to avoid them in the future. Sadly, this was not the case. Unorganized is an understatement of what I witnessed. The company doesn't seem to want to build up its employees from the inside and they aren't willing to pay for the experienced individuals, so they are caught in a self-inflicting lose-lose situation. What I learned is that the same way there are good quality engineers and poor engineers, there are also companies with good work environments and companies with poor ones. These environments are highly influenced by their leaders, or lack thereof.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Coworkers friendly, Competitive pay
Cons
Awful work environment, terrible management, dysfunctional teams, nonexistent leadership, unprofessional practices (scapegoating, favorites, badgering), Very short deadlines
Productive and Goal oriented company with strong focus on Health & Safety
Senior Field Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2016
Great company to work for as far as compensation, long hours of outside work. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with changing schedules. I enjoyed working outside with team members to complete tasks safely and efficiently.
Pros
Company truck and cell phone
Cons
short breaks, high heat situations, fatigue
I love this company
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 21, 2016
I learned so much working at Stantec. I miss this company as well as my coworkers. Professional company and people. It's like a family.
Worked as a Data Analyst
DATA ANALYST FOR PIPELINE RESEARCH (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 2, 2016
Searched for easements for pipeline project and uploaded documents into database. Worked 6 months due to company lost bid on job and had no work.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Work wasn't stable
Good and Bad
Supervisor(s) Jonathan Williams, Rich Pratt (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 29, 2016
Working at Stantec can be fun and rewarding given the right office. However if your office is not productive then it is every man for themselves.
This organization inspires me to do my best work every day. I am agree.
Engineer Consultant III (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 24, 2016
I truly enjoy my day-day work task.
I am able to choose how best to complete my work.
This is a socially and environmentally responsible organization.
Pros
There is a pleasant working environment.
Cons
It's hard to participate in projects where cronyism is above the professional rate.
Good place to learn technical skills, time management, and client management
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNMay 22, 2016
Fast paced consulting firm that continues to grown through acquisitions. Places a lot of value on employee billable hours. Great place to work on multiple projects and gain some valuable technical skills.

Needs improvement on employee retention and organic growth.
Pros
Good benefits, several learning opportunities
Cons
Too much focus on acquisitions, high employee turnover
summary
Engineering project manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2016
summary of this company is provided in the appropriate section of selected report. please refer to the provided section for more information and/or questions concerns.
Different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 23, 2016
My position working at Stantec was when the housing sale and building were at its peek. I was part of a team that was assigned to house being built in the Inland Empire.
Pros
New type of work
Great place to work if you make it a great place to work
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  SoutheastMarch 14, 2016
Like any consulting company your future is really up to you. You either need to have clients or be a resource to people with clients. As long as you are pushing to advance your career Stantec will be behind you and support you. This is not a lifetime appointment where you can sit on your laurels hoping for the best unless you are willing to get what you get.
Pros
People and projects
Cons
Consulting
Drafter (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 2, 2016
Typical day at work is designing underground mines. It's a fun place to work. The environment their is enjoyable.
Management is usually pretty good.
The hardest part of the job is getting projects during a tough time in the industry.
Enjoyed working there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sharonville, OHMarch 1, 2016
It was a fun company to work for. They let me go because there was not enough work to keep me busy since they had two other administrative assistants.
Comfortable Environment with great benefits
Admin Tech I (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2016
Stantec is a great company to work for. They are organized and very professional.

The compensation and benefits are what makes this work environment the best. Happily paid employees make for a happy work environment.

This company really takes care of their employees.
Pros
organization, compensation, benefits
Cons
industry suffering, inconsistency of projects causing a lot of downtime.
Fun place to work.
Technical Professional Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
Professional office environment, along with a copious sprinkling of courtesy and humor. The most enjoyable part of my work is collaborating with colleagues, while the most challenging aspect is meeting aggressive in-house project schedules.
Fair. Work experience to brief to make
Designer III (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 13, 2016
The majority of my work history has been with companies ranging in size from 25 to 800 employees, and as Stantec employs upwards of 15,000 people world wide, this would represent my first experience with a company of this size. In 2014 Stantec bought the company for with which I had worked for more than 20 years, a small business supporting the Oil & Gas industry. In 2015 we experienced the dramatic down turn in the price of Oil, leading to significant reductions in our work force. Throughout the process of staff reduction, Stantec made ever effort to place employees within the company, and delt as fairly as is possible to do so under the circumstance. Our parting was amicable and fair, and I would work again for Stantec should the sector return to profitability in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stantec Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.