Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews in United States

DO NOT work here (trust me)
Full time (Former Employee) –  Saarasota, FL.July 3, 2012
Nothing but back stabers and office politics. If you are not an
engineer you are nothing but trash to them. I worked there for some years and it was awful every day. I was a very good worker but that dont mean anything to the sarasota office. If you drop your pen to loud you will be fired. Others there use HR to lie and get you fired if they dont like your smile or if you dont drive a BMW (IE's) HR runs the office and not the office management. Stay away from this office,
others will say the same as I have trust me please.
Pros
only pay
Cons
all others

Comment – July 10, 2012

This person is right on the money

Self starters will excel at this company as your often out in remote field conditions, so your work quality is dependent on ones motivation
Natural Resource Technician (Current Employee) –  NYJuly 14, 2015
This project is based on western New York where we are provided post construction monitoring efforts for a wind energy company. The world is primarily walking along transects underneath wind turbines while search for bat/bird fatalities. We collect data on weather, vegetation, fatalities, searcher efficiency, scavenger prevalence, and wildlife observations. The best part of the job is the independence and ownership of your own work experience and quality as it is far away from the field office. The only downsides of the job are working in adverse weather and staring at the ground for 6-8 hours a day can become tedious.
Excellent opportunities
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 14, 2015
Consulting can be exciting and challenging with never knowing what you may tasked with next. Stantec met those expectations. A wide range of projects to work on in many different fields. A wide range of people in many different fields to work with.
Pros
Range of tasks
Cons
New, untrained division management
Typical Consulting Environment
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJune 4, 2014
Growth through acquisitions is not real growth, expect career stagnation. Some upper management should be removed to let real organic growth begin.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
poor managers, not all but some
Great people, and interesting work but long work hours, extended travel at minimum pay
PROJECT SCIENTIST, WATER RESOURCE DIVISION (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEOctober 20, 2012
I've worked on several diverse projects in a multitude of settings across the U.S. I had the opportunity to work with a diverse group of people from scientists and engineers to construction worker and government officials. However, there was a lot of travel involved with little room for advancement.
Pros
good benefits, good work environment
Cons
not much room for advancement
Very fulfilling, a lot of great experiences
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2015
I enjoyed every moment I worked at the Atlanta Stantec office. I learned a lot over the 3 years I was there. The management team and co-workers were very easy to talk to and work with; it was a diverse group and was treated with much appreciation and kindness.
Great co-workers to work with
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJune 23, 2015
Extemely busy keeping up with the work flow and satisfied with a good work day accomplished. Learned different ways other departments process with their discipline which helped me recognize ways I could implement them with my group. In assisting with acquisition I learned many other functions available with our software and how we can process other project formats.
Enjoying to work with great co-workers and great supervisors.
Pros
Flexibility, life & work balance.
Cons
Wages not based on performance
Not a good company, avoid - avoid
Hard work does not pay-off (Former Employee) –  sarasota, fl.July 10, 2012
Nothing but snobs and back stabers. Nothing but office politics and number counting. You are a nobody and will be treated vary bad. Hard work at the sarasota office will get you no-where, but talk craap and be a snob and then you will be somebody. Bad magement and NO moral support. Nobody is happy there, all are afraid to say something as they will get fired for nothing.
Pros
building
Cons
all others
It was a nice work environment
Assist Party Chief (Former Employee) –  OhioApril 15, 2015
Assisted with the daily duties, learned to take each task as it comes. Most of my co workers were great to work with. the hardest part of the job the environment and being so far away from home. the people I worked with
Pros
benifits
Cons
some managment
Atmosphere of nepotism, bad work place
employee full time (Current Employee) –  sarasota, fl.July 10, 2012
Only an Engineer has any hope of advancement, whether they deserve it or not. Technologists are third class citizens. it is your job to find your own work. Detached management focused on personal sustainability. Stay away if you want a real job. local management smiles at you then stabs you in the back.
Pros
the refrigerator only
Cons
all
amazing place to work,
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2015
creating construction documents - ground up or remodels, I got to use company details and create new details and drawings under the job captain/ coordinator's supervision.
I learned more in this company than any school ever taught me, under the direction of my regional manager, multiple architects, project manager, job captain and fellow CAD Drafters/ Technicians we conquered hundreds of projects including gas stations/. convenience stores, banks, fast food restaurants, and retail pads.
The management is wonderful, very educated, patient and caring.
You have the best team of co-workers surrounding you! if you don't know something there is someone who does and who will take a moment to help you learn. if you or they are behind on a project, its not difficult to get a helping hand.
The hardest part was having to say goodbye, construction came to a stop and many clients put a stop order on their projects; the layoffs started and never stopped.
Everyday was enjoyable, everyone is working in a professional manner, there's music playing.. its relaxed yet quick paced.
Pros
great pay, good leaders, office supplied snack room, monthly company lunch.
Cons
office shut down in 2008/2009
Good for starting a career and getting experience
Civil / Structural Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 10, 2012
Work could begin at 7:30 pm and could end by 4:30. Employees were very knowledgeable in working skills and would teach skills needed to others to get work done. It was a good learning environment for those just starting a career in design or engineering. Management was professional and involved with project teams over the duration of the project. Co-workers at the same levels were very competitive with each other and formed cliques. Multiple female employees did not follow company dress and were warned multiple times. The company is a Canadian based corporation and healthcare benefits were terrible. At the wage I was making I could not afford my contribution to healthcare and make a car payment at the same time. At Stantec you can have a college degree, but it might not be the right college degree, and if you have the degree it may not be from the right college. Engineers coming in should start with having completed their FE Exam for better pay and treatment. The offices were well maintained and clean. Most enjoyable part of the job was the in house training and product seminars. If you are a coffee drinker, the coffee stations are very nice in many offices. Based on where you are in your career this could be a good place for you or if you are able to handle office cliques and other office issues. It was not the place for me at the time. Lack of a good wage and not being able afford healthcare accompanied by the office cliques and unneeded competition were my main reasons for leaving.
Pros
40 hour work week, clean offices, free beverages
Cons
healthcare, hourly wage
a very familiar working environment where I got to interact with all co-workers including the directors
Architectural Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 10, 2015
On a typical day I edited red line corrections for a senior living complex. I was exposed to architectural, civil engineering, electrical, and plumbing documents. Interacted with co-workers to get directions and learned a lot from them.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
unpaid extra hours
Great people to work with and lots to learn.
Business Analyst - Enterprise Architecture Team (Former Employee) –  10160 102 AvenueJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at work was always busy arranging and meeting with the business to go through taking each project, through each stage of the project development life cycle. Management and co-workers were always great to work with and the people are always the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job is trying to arrange a time where everyone is available to meet.
not very well organized, but benefits and pay good
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 3, 2014
I was in charge of IT Support for 6 offices in SW Florida, but based out of the Lakewood Ranch office. Stantec is a public company, and teamwork was lacking.....had to work more independently and that can be difficult to find answers sometimes.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no time for breaks and poor management
Company In Process of Buying Out Seacor
Data entry for environmental cleanup projects (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 6, 2015
I was originally employed by Seacor. Stantec bought Seacor and was in the process of digesting the business. I was not able to use my skills in SQL to enhance the process due to former Seacor employees understandable resistance to being downsized.
Enjoyable
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 9, 2014
I worked for this company for a short period of time but enjoyed my time. My boss at the time was a nice and gave praise to a job well done when deserved.
Bad management
PM (Former Employee) –  HoustonMarch 28, 2012
Stantec focused on one client. When work slowed down, started laying off people to artificially raise billability. Finally left after being cut to part time while others did whatever they pleased and were full time (at least on their timesheets).
Great team concept, encouraged growth
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 28, 2012
Good company to work for. Good benefits. Company encourages cross marketing of skill sets.
Pros
benefits, cross marketing, diversified work
Cons
poor upper management
Horrible company beware!!
Geologist (Former Employee) –  UniontownSeptember 15, 2012
Stay away from this company. Management is awful and they are back stabbing!! If you have an issue, believe me, the entire company will know about it. The office I worked in allowed harassment. HR did NOTHING about it. Oh wait, they did....all the women were laid off except one who was blackmailing one of the managers in another office.

The company will work you to the bone, and then tell you that there isn't enough money to pay you for the work you did.

STAY AWAY
Pros
paycheck and leaving
Cons
management is awful, women were sexually harassed (it was our fault), hr did nothing about harassment, misguided on projects, backstabbing jerks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stantec Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.