Staples Employee Reviews

Found 5,173 reviews matching the search
A good place to work
Project Manager - Retail Architecture (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 13, 2017
Over the years work load went from a bit overwhelming to a task to find work to do.
Always a growing and challenging experience working for Staples as the business changed and expanded.
The management was very good and reasonable for the most part. We were tested and praised for our accomplishments.
The workplace culture helped us to toss old ideas and explore new.
The infrequent slow times were a huge test to try to delve into new issues and work ahead in area that were typically overlooked.
Travel and working on challenges were the things that I looked forward to.
Pros
Good pay, frequent challanges, new ideas.
Cons
Only the slow times.
Becoming another retail store!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CT, Davie, FLFebruary 26, 2017
As manager for this company, I found that as times change, culture does not, if you are transferred from the Northeast to the Southeast, you have to be prepare to radically adjust to a very different environment and culture.

PS: side note: If your employees get paid accordingly to their skill and training, and continue to develop trough out their career, you have a better output and service like from them.
The less training and earning you as an institution provide to your employees in general, can not bring a good service or profits to your company, and that's the reason why good employees leave the company with this type of environment.
Pros
No pros at all.
Cons
no more short breaks, 1/2 hour lunch, short staff 95% of the time, salary cuts, hour cuts to managers and staff.
Great way to start your Retail Career
Easy-Tech Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 18, 2016
Staples is a great place to begin your career in retail if that is what you are going for, otherwise is also a flexible part-time job for high school/college students.

I currently work there as an Easy-Tech Sales Associate and the work balance is not bad, you are required to drive sales (of course) as well as to convey Staples services to costumer whenever you can (that is every costumer) You will also do retail operations such as: stocking the shelves, price tags, sign-walks, pull-lists, help costumers to the right product, cashier if needed be.

Overall, is a good environment to be, although management may vary on every store.
Pros
Flexible schedule, multitask, easy assignments, costumer service
Cons
Pay rate, no real benefits for part-timers, no change to grow within the company
Fun to work there...If you're a young person, but if you're older....Not so much...
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Linden, NJOctober 28, 2016
Basically, the people I work with (most of them well under 40 yrs old) are "nice". Very ethnically cliched but civil for the most part.

The work...A little strenuous for women at times. (You have to do a LOT of bending, stretching (to reach certain items) and lifting (up to 40 lbs.).

Management...A couple of the managers are really nice..almost "caring". But there are some that are lazy, conniving and womanizers! AND...Cater to the 18 - 22 yr olds.

Some days it feel like I'm working at a prison rather than a store!
(Pushy bosses!)

They preach "Customer Service", but will let the phones ring for 1/2 an hour before picking up a call! (Too busy socializing between themselves, or playing on their cell phones!)

I just try to do my work as best I can and follow the rules.But I don't recommend anyone to go for a job at Staples...At least not the one I work at.
Pros
Not many...Some commissions on certain sales.
Cons
No real team spirit...No raises! Too much bias!
High expectations low pay
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  UtahJanuary 26, 2017
Though they're flexible with the schedule, if you're going to school or working another job there's no room for advancement into a full time position, as your availability has to be completely open and they want your complete dedication -this often includes answering your phone or going in on your days off (especially management).
They push more accounts, ESPs (protection plans) and the rewards which is fine but at the end of every shift they require a check in which just focuses on what you missed and how you need to improve. It emphasizes too much on the negative and made me at least feel like you could never be good enough or have a good shift because there was always something you didn't do well enough and you had to explain that at the end of every day.
Pros
Flexible schedule, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Hard to get tuition reimbursement, negative work environment, low pay
It started off great...
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2016
My experience started off great, and thats considering I had no actual tools that were required for me to be successful at my job. My manager was amazing. I noticed a few things of concern after a few months but, I let it go. Then after some personal difficulties the entire atmosphere changed. Instead of a positive work environment its become negative. Support isnt really isnt there. Instead my ASM makes comments about my job security. I am an employee who never had anybincidents with clients. If anything I always received praise. With being out of the office for a bit a few things fell through and even though others were supposed to be helping and failed to do so I came back and resolved them. I lead our team for 2 1/2 weeks in sales and I was still given grief.

6+ people have left since my hire. In the end it was due to how they were being treated. Not getting paid commission because the ASM refused to approve a managed account. I have lost about $1000.00 because, of this. It just is a never ending cycle of ignorance and disrespect from direct management.
Pros
Freedom to have flexible scheduling with clients
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, rude management, lack of support
overall its good place to work .
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 24, 2016
Good place to work, not much room for promotions or anything unless you wanna work there forever. Otherwise, they provide very flexible schedules for part timers and student, and pretty much anyone who needs a flexible schedule. The management varies from store to store. There aren't many benefits, they do provide health insurance and all the basic stuff though. The pay is what you'd expect of a retail place. Overall was a good place for a first job, lots of customer experience to be gained, sales experience as well
Pros
Good management, team work friendly environemnt Cons
Cons
No real potential to gain promotions
Workplace was decent
Office Supplies Associate (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJJanuary 30, 2017
A typical day there was decent. I learned how to never burn bridges and leave a job on good terms. I learned how to work hard at everything that i do. The raises i had was only 10 cents or less. I was "Employee of the Month" a couple times also. The hardest part of my job was talking to people and asking them questions because i used to be really shy. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the great people that used to be there.
Fun job, wish it offered more promotions and full time
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MISeptember 30, 2016
Love my job as a Copy and Print Associate. Keeps me busy easily. Since they only offer part time my social life and work life are easily balanced. It has decent benefits and if youbdo your job right and well you can get points to earn for gift cards and such. My management team is easy going, they dont overwhelm you with task. The job culture is easy going.
Pros
Fun, workers are the first thought and taken care of
Cons
No room for advancement, only part time
My Experience
Copy & Print Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 30, 2016
I loved the people I worked with including my General Manager and Sales Manger. My District Manager was also amazing. I wasn't getting paid my worth even tho I was doing things way beyond my job description in other parts of the store as well as coming in on my days off and working for free because we couldn't get over time. When Staples got a new CEO and redid DM lines we got a new DM who was just horrible and didn't know how to run our district. Nor where they willing to give me a pay raise after getting the CPC numbers up. I mean way up some of the highest in the district and company.
Favoritism and spiteful leadership
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2017
I worked for this company for 6 years as an operations manager and I can tell you I have never seen a more unprofessional company, managers that talk bad about associates and play favorites with the ones they got along with. I have seen people get promoted just because the gm liked them as a person while the person most qualified was shafted because they were not buddy buddy with the gm. Also as everyone knows staples is a sinking ship new managers are being promoted with less pay and thrown impossible work loads "sell 7 liquid armors a week or you're fired " words right out of the district managers mouth. Absolutely disgusting company it's good for high school kids learning there first job but if you're an adult trying to make a living stay far far away!
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Unprofessional management
Montgomery NY is a sweatshop
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, NYFebruary 23, 2017
This place will consume you. If you have a family or life outside of work well this is no job for you. You never know when you are starting you shift or going home. Everything changes and it's " based on customer needs" you will work 12 hours for a couple days and 5 hours the next few days to avoid getting paid overtime. Management team is a collection of rejects from surrounding companies that were fired from their job and Staples hires them. Snowstorms? Don't worry they will be open and yes you are expected to come to work. You are even told when to take your breaks and lunch because daily they are never the same. Human resource department is useless and friends with management so good luck getting anything resolved. If you need this until something else comes up I would take it only if last resort. Trust me you won't like it.
Staples has it !
Senior Technical Analyst, Change Management (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJanuary 16, 2017
I loved working at Staples. I began my Help Desk career with Staples and returned seven years after leaving to work in Global Operations as a technical analyst in Change Management.
I must say Staples was the single best place I have ever worked.
Typical day: Log in and dig in....you are expected to know your job and be responsible
What I learned: Managing up, down and sideways as I reviewed IT changes for risk and impact
Management: I think from the top down there was a spirit of :"what do you need to do your job?"
Co-workers were always willing to pitch in and share the load. Success was a team thing
Hardest part of the job: The best plans sometimes aren't enough.
Most enjoyable: Keeping the lights on. Feeling like I had made a contribution
Pros
Flexibility and opportunity
Cons
No coffee maker at my desk? I'm stretching here
Great company, good values. Low pay, but great hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 10, 2017
I worked at two separate Staples stores in Utah. As in any business, there were great differences in the stores I worked in do to management. Both mangers though, were willing to train well and work with my schedule. The job was low pressure, but very rewarding and there was room for advancement and improvement if one worked hard enough and sought it.
Pros
Good hours!
Cons
General culture is a little lazy.
Team synergy
Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 10, 2017
As I have relocated my family from Massachusetts to Las Vegas NV and no longer employed by Staples, I am very much interested in rejoining a company that I enjoyed being part of the sales organization and for over 10 years.

Among my strengths is breadth of experience that spans highly competitive markets, diverse industry clients, startup territories, and turnaround situations. In addition, I offer a natural ability to quickly build strong rapport with clients, gain a deep understanding of their needs, and provide them with the right solutions

Throughout my career I’ve been recognized as an energetic, strategic, and hard-working contributor, able to take cultivate long-term, loyal relationships with my clients and consistently deliver sale results that exceed corporate expectations.
Pros
No commission caps
Cons
Territory Overlaps
Behind the Curve
Multiple Management and Employee Positions (Former Employee) –  MultipleJanuary 26, 2017
Lack of employee training and training labor freezes made customer issues a regular thing. This takes up a lot of time from managers.

People calling out constantly is also very common.

Learned how to run entire buildings 40 hours understaffed and still stay above water for months at a time.

Local management struggles to do their best as upper management passes all the blame for their poor decisions to local managers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to accomplish something customers originally thought wouldn't be possible and seeing how happy it made them. :) Teaching a grandmother how to use Skype so she could talk to her grandkids in Florida.

However, the hardest part was getting yelled at for not charging that same grandmother additional for clicking a couple extra buttons.
Pros
A good first job
Cons
Weekend Work, Holiday Work, Rare Promotions, Very Little Recognition
Staples IT
IT Tech/Salesman (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAOctober 18, 2016
Staples IT is not an IT job but rather what they call a saleperson that works in their electronics department. That is fine but do not use it as a way to attract people to the job that like working on computers to have them sell printers and ink all day and reprimand them when they do get to work on a computer because it "isn't their job". Actual IT work is done offsite via another company licensed with Staples. total scam p;us you never work more then part-time for very little money and if you go into management you get full-time and $1-2 raise so definitely not worth the stress.
The worst place to work at
Merchandiser/Customer Service/management (Former Employee) –  Easton, PADecember 4, 2016
Don't work at this place they make u work like crazy for nothing and associates don't get enough credit or a knowledgment for it.i worked for this place for 3 years and I never gotten a good raise or pay for it.thry make u work for a little bit of pay and they expect so much from the associates on sales that they threaten the employees if they don't make certain sales or reward sign ups they get fired for it which is dum cause u can't force ppl to sign up for stuff u can't force ppl to apply for a credit card and u can't force ppl to buy anything in staples cause they prices are too high that's y everybody goes to bestbuy I would never work for this place again and they are threatening to close the company down in 7 years so this job is not a guaranteed stable job please please don't work at this company .they make u work like crazy but then they taking priveledges away and accentives away from the associates
Pros
Bad place to work
Cons
It's a bad place to work
Good Management and Good Training but no help
Copy and Print Account Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 14, 2016
The company is the epitome of the large corporate entity that is only concerned with the needs of upper management and share holders.
Pros:
- Good management
- Good consistent training
- Positive work environment

Cons:
-Compensation in the "marketing and print division" is very low compared to other divisions (business supplies, office furniture, technology) where this division is the most complex, detailed, high paced and most profitable division in Staples Advantage
- Terrible work life balance for the pay
- Commission structure is terrible
-Because your in the print side of the business you are on call 24/7 vacations, holidays
Pros
Cons
Work Life Balance and Pay
Retail
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAJanuary 30, 2017
Its a retail position, usual retail complaints and opinions.
Normal days for me included scheduling for deliveries and pick ups. Stacking, wrapping pallets. Creating and reading Invoices. loading and unloading trailers. Store planograms and seasonal planning.
Inventory management, zero balances and regular cycle counts.
communication with vendors and corporate.
Loss prevention and reporting.
hardest part of the job were the holidays and customers and staying staffed The enjoyable part was also at times the customers as well, helping people definitely made my day.
Pros
fast paced, fast tracked advancement
Cons
holiday hours, corporate works against staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.