Staples
2,957 reviews

Staples Employer Reviews

Great place to work, unless you are an engineer
Sr. Web Developer/Architect (Current Employee), Framingham, MAMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great people, good work/life balance
Cons: poor leadership, lots of politics
So Staples is a great place to work, the people are friendly and the work/life balance is very good, I have never had a problem flexing hours or working from home when their is a storm or my daughter had a doctors appointment. The people, for the most part, are happy to help out and are very friendly.

However, as an engineer - I have to say its a huge disappointment. No one knows the code or tools, there is very little documentation, and sense of quality such as code review, coding standards, etc don't exist. It is just a very chaotic environment and there is no reason it needs to be as bad as it is.

Management on the engineering side simply does not seem to have an idea of how to design and work on an enterprise level, corners are cut in a ton of places and code is routinely pushed (and then retracted) before its ready. Management has a history of pushing code to production against Quality Assurance standards to try to make themselves look good, however it often backfires when the bad code breaks the site and they need to pull it back. Projects are routinely over budget and schedule, and they rely far too much on outsourced vendors, which just adds to the chaos.

The business side DOES seem to have their acts together, but engineering is light years behind and I myself have lost faith that they are going to fix it. Its sad, because it IS a great company - and I had a lot of high hopes when I originally took my position, we just seem to be getting worse instead of better and politics is winning over common sense and quality. A lot of our best engineers have left the company due to these reasons, leaving a big hole in technical leadership.

You can move up the ranks quickly at Staples - that is one good thing I guess, but as a middle manager there is only so much you can do to help fix the more global problems in Engineering.
hated it there
Copy Center (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: healthcare
Cons: stressfull very low pay
worked in the copy center a lot of stress for what you get paid and you get harassed a lot not worth the stress you have to clean take in orders they are always on you to upsell everything even if the customers flat out tells you no they still yell that you didn't do your best to upsell
Fun people to work with
Copy Center Associate (Current Employee), woodsideFebruary 27, 2015
Flexible hours, great place to acquire multitasking skills. It can get extremely hectic at times. Co-workers are great company. Love helping people.
Staples Office Center
Customer Service - Copy & Print Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: general manager had our teams best interest at heart
Cons: upper management was not supportive to the team
Everyday was focused on excellent customer services. Working at Staples taught me how important listening to the customers needs is the key to producing great customer service to the customers.
I worked with the best co workers and management team that any one could ask for.

The hardest part of my job was to except the verbal abuse from irate customers. And the most enjoyable part was being able to satisfy customers and for the customers to come back and build relationships with me and the team.
Overall good experience
PT Team Supervisor (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2015
Overall a good experience. I was able to transfer to other locations easily, some for promotions and once when I moved. The pay could be better and management in the last few years hasn't been as good. The job itself isn't all that hard, so long as you can handle customers (even the rude ones).

If you are part time they are pretty flexible with scheduling so long as you give them advance notice. Co-workers for the most part were always great. Out of the 4 stores I worked at, I very rarely had any major issues.
Staples was okay to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Milpitas, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: getting experience
Cons: not al ot of hours
Helping Customers
Stocking the Shelves
Cashier

I enjoyed helping and chatting with the customers

Management was okay

Co workers was okay
The retail side of the business is in decline, the delivery side of the business shows huge opportunity for the company.
General Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: work life balance is very good.
Cons: with the changes recently there is little room for advancement.
There are many Great people to work with, a lot of support from your peers. I have learned many things that will help me in my future endeavors.
Part time treated badly
Certified Technician (Current Employee), Telford PAFebruary 26, 2015
Cons: no healthcare, bad scheduling, unrealistic expectations.
Management expects full time availability for part time hours given.
Unrealistic expectations given.
Too much micro management.
Not enough employees to cover all areas of store.
Horrible scheduling.
Good part-time place to work. Good management
Porter (Current Employee), Watertown, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: good management and fair wages.
Cons: physically challenging for me
Staples is a good place to work, generally centered around the younger employee. I enjoy working there, however the work I do is physically challenging.
A typical day includes sweeping and scrubbing the floors, vacuuming the carpeted areas, and dusting displays.
Strong company that is customer and employee focused
General Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati OhioFebruary 26, 2015
Staples offers a stable environment. Life balance for the employee is by far the best I have ever worked at. Compensation is fair for leadership but promotion opportunity currently is uncertain.
Terrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn,NYFebruary 26, 2015
They fired me for wanting to spend time with my mother on Mother's Day. Good as a start off job but nothing more. Management never let out associates on time and associates were forced to get home late at night.
Set hours
EasyTech Associate (Current Employee), Tigard, ORFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: odd management styles
Part time Tech and I get MAYBE 15 hours a week but can't go over 25.

The pay would be decent if I wasn't capped for hours and if they would have better staffing statistics.
Great people
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Buford, GAFebruary 25, 2015
Loved working for Staples and my managers, I loved being around different types of people and created a strong bond with each and every person.
Great first job
Cashier and copy and print associate (Former Employee), Nottingham, MDFebruary 25, 2015
I typically went between two departments, copy center and front desk. At the front desk I would handle returns, exchanges, and ringing up the customer's purchases. At copy center I would make copies, send faxes, and work with customers designing their projects. I got along with everyone I worked with and whenever I needed anything someone was always there to help out. Management would also try and work with you in any department. It was a great place to work, I learned a lot with it being my first job.
Hm
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Gardena, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Staples has wonderful benefits. It is not hard at all to move up with management. There are many scholarships that are accessible to employees.
Great Place for College Student
Easy Tech Associate (Former Employee), Wilson, NCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: pay just above minimum wage
Great job if you are a college student or looking for part-time work. No opportunities for full-time employment, unless you are in management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dickinson, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Friendly working environment. A great place to work. Helpful management with comfortable training make for a well-rounded job.
Overall flexible with my schedule and an enjoyable workplace
Copy & Print Associate (Current Employee), Chino Hills, CAFebruary 24, 2015
I really enjoy my job, it keeps me busy and there is always something to do. My coworkers are very easy going and easy to relate to, and get along with. The management team is very organized and if an employee tells one manager something, all managers will know.
Staples: The Office Superstore
Copy and Print Surpervisor (Current Employee), Bolingbrook, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: short breaks, no advancement opertunities
I have been with Staples for almost two years now, and have worked at three different stores in that time, and while I enjoy the work I do, I do not think that the way they run things is particularly great.
There are very few positions within the store that are full time, and the chances of moving into one of those full time positions are little to none most of the time.
Like I said before, I do enjoy the work I do. I enjoy customer service, and I enjoy getting to know my frequent customers and meeting their needs.
As far as Co-workers go, at my last two stores, I loved my Co-workers, at my current store I feel like they have been less than welcoming.
The hardest part about working for Staples is definitely dealing with the way they have their staff set up. As I said, very few people at one store have full time status, and as someone who went from being full time, to now getting 19-21 hours a week, its quite frustrating (the store I was working at closed, and I chose to transfer to a different store instead of scrambling around looking for a new job on such a short notice).
I've learned quite a bit about retail and up selling from "Roll playing" at Staples, I like to think that I am a pretty good saleswoman, and I've also learned how to use Microsoft Suite and Photoshop pretty well, as I work in the Copy Center.

All in all I don't dislike working at Staples, and I do feel like I have learned quite a bit while working for them.
Overall a good place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee), Rockville, Maryland/95 corridorFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: support
Cons: sales cycle to long
Working for the Staples Advantage team was a delight. The management team was competent and supportive. Co-workers are team members who work hard to help the team succeed.

1 2 3 4 5

About Staples

There’s a whole lot more to Staples than you probably ever imagined. As the world’s 3rd largest internet retailer – Read more