Staples Employee Reviews

Job Security
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCDecember 16, 2017
As long as you do your job then you have one. It's pretty simple just answer the customers questions and keep them happy. Offer a rewards card, ask if they want a credit care, and try to upsell anything.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
High Drinks and Snacks
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 16, 2017
Each day was busy and you always have something to do. It is never ending and things are always different you are coaching and working with the employees to make sure they also understand the culture
Pros
time off and benefits
Cons
cut throat
Very busy office
TAX EXEMPT PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MADecember 16, 2017
A cubical farm in a large office.
The company does offer a lunch area with lots of choices. The down side is you only get 30min for lunch, so if the line is long, you dont have much time to eat.
Pros
Lunch options
Corporate culture makes you feel invisible
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 15, 2017
I was not an actual employee, but a temp-to-hire, and they laid my department off before I got my time in. The department manager took her job seriously and trained me well. But in a building with six floors and two different 'towers,' along with the sheer number of departments and the many, many managers made me feel insignificant. Hardest part of the job was navigating all the different types of customer service departments to call to assist dot com customers. To call it a 'maze,' would not do it justice, in terms of difficulty.
Pros
Thorough training, great coworkers
Cons
Anonymity, invisibility, difficulty finding the right solution for customers.
Challenging yet rewarding
Account Executive, Furniture (Current Employee) –  Stratford, CTDecember 14, 2017
SBA, the commercial and contract division of Staples, recently went private and is now focusing on profits and margins over customer satisfaction and a positive corporate culture. There was great room for lateral and vertical movement internally, but a high turn-over for employment. Compensation was very fair, but appropriate training was not always provided - to work here, you must take initiative and be willing to deal with copious red tape.
Pros
Competitive salary and commission, national opportunity
Cons
Cold corporate culture, job insecurity
Fantastic Print Job Experience
Print Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 14, 2017
A typical day consisted of a quick-paced work area with customer service as a must. Consumers came in and worked along with the employee for print needs and placing orders. Along with customer service, management of print queue was a necessity.
I learned a lot about customer service and how to handle print machinery.
Management was kind and open minded.
The workplace was full of wonderful people to work along side and I enjoyed having conversations with them on a day to day basis.
The hardest part of the job was the amount of training required, but once that was finished, everything else fell into place because I knew what needed to be done no questions asked
I enjoyed my experience at Staples because of how kind the environment was, my co-workers made the days enjoyable and the returning customers were fantastic to work with.
Pros
Fantastic environment, in-depth training, friendly co-workers
Cons
Lots of training
Fun and productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 13, 2017
Wasn't really busy. it was a big store with plenty of sale representatives. I learnt how to create signs for products, read sku's, and climb ladders. The manager was very laidback but still serious about her job. The hardest part was matching sku numbers. Most enjoyable for me was stocking.
Pros
Discount of supplies
Cons
N/a
laying off everyone
Production Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 13, 2017
Staples became a private equity company and in the process one of the CEOs promised that part of the contract was to protect the employees of Staples. Shortly after they closed down the store and laid everyone off. They are continuing to lay off 100s of people and are using the phrase "business as usual" to excuse it.
Cons
breaks are not promised, job security dow not exist
Good Company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wauregan, CT 06387December 13, 2017
Okay company...Losing business as we speak. Ecommerce from other sources are hurting this business. Additionally every retail store now carries some sort of Office Supplies.
Benefits
Cons
Always walking on egg shells
upbeat and creative department
print & copy clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNDecember 13, 2017
Supervisor was excellent. work was busy and fun. There were multiple projects each day to keep you busy and entertained. Wish I could still be working there.
You can just wake up one day, and be without a job
B2B Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2017
Ever since the company has been acquired by a private equity firm, a lot of changes has been happening. These changes are distracting employees from doing their jobs in the most productive ways because employees have to change their processes within an hour of announcements, or they fear that their entire department might be let go off any day.

There are a lot of restructuring / growing pain points.
Pros
Room for vertical and lateral advancement in the career
Cons
A lot of pressure is trickling down, Management has no clue what are they doing because many things are changing by the hour
Great Place to work
SR HR Area Manager (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 13, 2017
I loved my job at Staples. There were many different roles that every Human Resource Manager had to do. Lots of variety and great people to work with.
Stock/inventory & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 13, 2017
My day at Staples is productive. I learned about giving customer service and organizing stock. The management is dedicated to the cause and does a great job of overseeing their employees.
Fast-pace but fun
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 13, 2017
On a typical day you are recommended to have at least 91 inputs and outputs (incoming phone calls and out coming emails) put together. This can be stressful depending on what line management has you on. If you are just taking payments then you have nothing to worry about, but if you're working on corrections or concerns then it can get a little stressful.

Management is very amazing. If you have any personal issues that are emergency that are very understanding of you leaving to handle your business.
Pros
understanding management
Good place to work.
Photocopy Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MEDecember 12, 2017
As a Photocopy Associate, made photocopies, binded booklets, laminated, assisted customers in using the fax machine and the self serve photocopy machines, answered phones and directed phone calls to the appropriate areas in a timely manner. The work environment was busy most of the time and fast paced. I really enjoyed helping the customers and meeting their needs.
Great
Operations Supervisor/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, IN 46580December 12, 2017
Great place to work, Flexible schedule, perfect for college students, Great selling culture, lots to learn from day one. Great team work. employees are empowered enough to make executive decisions
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
It was ok for a retail job
Print & Marketing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 12, 2017
You have to meet budgets and sales goals.
They didn't have a great new hire training program (usually throw them in as soon as possible).
Had usually opening or closing hours.
Learn new skills and meet local business owners
Print and Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCDecember 12, 2017
Staples is a great place to work. There are opportunities for advancement although they are minimal. The best part is what new skills you might learn and the people that you will meet!
Fun place to work
Print and Marketing Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 12, 2017
My day looks like first hour I took care of email and orders and communicate with our support team. 2 hours to make calls to make appointments lunch and the 3 hours to go on appointment including commute .Last hour quote and orders.
Learned sales skills, Account Management. Hardest part was Too many systems to use for quoting and orders. Most enjoyable closing sales
Pros
sales
Cons
administrative work
Great Job
FORKLIFT OPERATOR-MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CADecember 12, 2017
This was a great company to work for, my mom passed and they were nice enough to give me time off. I had issues with the management not treating staff fare.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.