Staples Employee Reviews

Found 4,788 reviews matching the search
Great way to start your Retail Career
Easy-Tech Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 18, 2016
Staples is a great place to begin your career in retail if that is what you are going for, otherwise is also a flexible part-time job for high school/college students.

I currently work there as an Easy-Tech Sales Associate and the work balance is not bad, you are required to drive sales (of course) as well as to convey Staples services to costumer whenever you can (that is every costumer) You will also do retail operations such as: stocking the shelves, price tags, sign-walks, pull-lists, help costumers to the right product, cashier if needed be.

Overall, is a good environment to be, although management may vary on every store.
Pros
Flexible schedule, multitask, easy assignments, costumer service
Cons
Pay rate, no real benefits for part-timers, no change to grow within the company
Fun to work there...If you're a young person, but if you're older....Not so much...
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Linden, NJOctober 28, 2016
Basically, the people I work with (most of them well under 40 yrs old) are "nice". Very ethnically cliched but civil for the most part.

The work...A little strenuous for women at times. (You have to do a LOT of bending, stretching (to reach certain items) and lifting (up to 40 lbs.).

Management...A couple of the managers are really nice..almost "caring". But there are some that are lazy, conniving and womanizers! AND...Cater to the 18 - 22 yr olds.

Some days it feel like I'm working at a prison rather than a store!
(Pushy bosses!)

They preach "Customer Service", but will let the phones ring for 1/2 an hour before picking up a call! (Too busy socializing between themselves, or playing on their cell phones!)

I just try to do my work as best I can and follow the rules.But I don't recommend anyone to go for a job at Staples...At least not the one I work at.
Pros
Not many...Some commissions on certain sales.
Cons
No real team spirit...No raises! Too much bias!
Good Management and Good Training but no help
Copy and Print Account Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 14, 2016
The company is the epitome of the large corporate entity that is only concerned with the needs of upper management and share holders.
Pros:
- Good management
- Good consistent training
- Positive work environment

Cons:
-Compensation in the "marketing and print division" is very low compared to other divisions (business supplies, office furniture, technology) where this division is the most complex, detailed, high paced and most profitable division in Staples Advantage
- Terrible work life balance for the pay
- Commission structure is terrible
-Because your in the print side of the business you are on call 24/7 vacations, holidays
Pros
Cons
Work Life Balance and Pay
overall its good place to work .
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAOctober 24, 2016
Good place to work, not much room for promotions or anything unless you wanna work there forever. Otherwise, they provide very flexible schedules for part timers and student, and pretty much anyone who needs a flexible schedule. The management varies from store to store. There aren't many benefits, they do provide health insurance and all the basic stuff though. The pay is what you'd expect of a retail place. Overall was a good place for a first job, lots of customer experience to be gained, sales experience as well
Pros
Good management, team work friendly environemnt Cons
Cons
No real potential to gain promotions
My Experience
Copy & Print Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 30, 2016
I loved the people I worked with including my General Manager and Sales Manger. My District Manager was also amazing. I wasn't getting paid my worth even tho I was doing things way beyond my job description in other parts of the store as well as coming in on my days off and working for free because we couldn't get over time. When Staples got a new CEO and redid DM lines we got a new DM who was just horrible and didn't know how to run our district. Nor where they willing to give me a pay raise after getting the CPC numbers up. I mean way up some of the highest in the district and company.
Staples IT
IT Tech/Salesman (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAOctober 18, 2016
Staples IT is not an IT job but rather what they call a saleperson that works in their electronics department. That is fine but do not use it as a way to attract people to the job that like working on computers to have them sell printers and ink all day and reprimand them when they do get to work on a computer because it "isn't their job". Actual IT work is done offsite via another company licensed with Staples. total scam p;us you never work more then part-time for very little money and if you go into management you get full-time and $1-2 raise so definitely not worth the stress.
Fun job, wish it offered more promotions and full time
Copy and Print Associate (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MISeptember 30, 2016
Love my job as a Copy and Print Associate. Keeps me busy easily. Since they only offer part time my social life and work life are easily balanced. It has decent benefits and if youbdo your job right and well you can get points to earn for gift cards and such. My management team is easy going, they dont overwhelm you with task. The job culture is easy going.
Pros
Fun, workers are the first thought and taken care of
Cons
No room for advancement, only part time
Pays the Bills
Inventory Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Putnam, CTOctober 19, 2016
Set Schedules. Almost impossible to get a 1st shift position. Decent start pay but it barely goes up. Only $0.25 a year raises. Management varies per department, most of it not great IMHO. I've learned almost all there is to know about the operation. Not much room for advancement. Company itself isn't doing too well. Stocks are low etc. As long as you show up on time and do your job you it pays fairly well and isn't the worst place to work. For the qualifications needed to obtain a job here it pays very well for high school diploma work.
Not Bad, but not good either
Break Pack associate (Current Employee) –  Arundel, MDSeptember 12, 2016
If you enjoy overtime this could be a place for you. The managers are out of sync and the warehouse constantly stays understaffed. There is normally mandatory overtime everyday sometimes leaving you to work a 12-15 hour shift constantly through the week. It's majority walking and so I suggest comfortable shoes. Overall I feel as if you expect to be home at a certain time you might want to get a window of possible over time of at least 4 hours.
Warning, this is not for people who use public transportation. They rarely ever let you accommodate for it and try to demand that you get a car.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Transportation, management
Positive environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 7, 2016
My time at staples has been great. The management, while often over extended due to shortage of employees, really worked to keep things positive. Congratulating employees on their work ethic, and working to advance those employees where they could was a daily occurrence. Overall, I found it a great place to work, even though the work itself is pretty mundane and typical of a retail position.
Pros
Positive coworkers, room for raises, simple work overall
Cons
High turn over of employees, heavy working hours due to shortage of employees.
The focus of overall sales initiatives are backwards
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2016
Very customer service oriented. Overall duty is fill shelves, keep floor clean, and priced..

Management was never involved with store initiatives. Always pointing out what is not right with very little to no praise with things that are going right,

Hardest part of this job is the amount of work that is needed to keep store running right (filled, clean, priced) with not enough hours to work. Always running short handed, not enough hours given to be successful.

The best part was the freedom to help customers with any issues that arrive.
Pros
freedom to make customers happy
Cons
not enough hours given to be successful
Worst company I've worked for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2016
I worked at my location for 4 years. I got promised the Inventory Specialist position and took it. I was informed a few days after I accepted it and was told that the person I was going to be taking over "changed his mind and didn't want to leave" so I didn't get the job. I worked long days, and felt as though I was getting nothing out of it. The company would make us degrade ourselves on a daily basis. Last back to school season they made us walk around the store, doing our normal job but with a backpack on, to try to sell more backpacks. What company allows this, let alone wants us to do something like that? Management is the worst part of this company. They're just there to yell at you and try to make their quotas. My general manager would lock himself in the office for hours, and claim that he was on a "conference call." I was then fired from the job because I had gotten into a horrible car accident. I had sprained my ankle and I came into the store to let my manager know what had happened, and she told me that I had given up my job and that I was being terminated for a no call, no show.
Cons
No health benefits were available to me
Productive and fun work place.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDNovember 1, 2016
Start time was 6.00am. Trucks were loaded and on there way by 7.30am. Drivers learn how to route their paper work and to read maps. Management was very professional, great staff. Co-workers were hard working and respectful. The most difficult part of the job was leaving (company went back to employees). The most enjoyable part of the job was pleasing the customers and seeing a smile on their faces.
Pros
Extra salary for walk-ups and re-deliveries.
Cons
Company going back to employees
Lots of room for upward mobility, OT almost always available, poor management
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 5, 2016
This was a great resume builder job for me and provided a lot of different positions and options to learn different transferable skills. Pay is competitive, and extra compensation is given to people who work later in the day/night (less desired shifts). Training is questionable, rushed, and not managed.
Pros
Options for upward mobility, Overtime, Good benefits
Cons
Lack of training time, poorly managed
Interesting and a great place to communicate with customers,, management very supportive, limited chances for advancement
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 12, 2016
I have enjoyed working at Staples . There is some independent opportunities to make decisions, but feel there is very limited chance for advancement as the core staff number is small. Things I could do at other cashier jobs is restricted there, and I think that is a system wide policy.. . The hardest part of the job is the lifting of computers from a basket into a recycling box and the lack of communication regarding my functioning and progress at the job.The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and the staff there.
Pros
People that work there
Cons
Standing for length of shift, lower salary than other jobs
Not a career
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAMay 31, 2016
Working at staples showed me my first ever example of not caring much about employees. Managers are always stressed because their bosses are telling them to meet some quota and because they can't do it they put their stress on you to do something..even when you haven't been trained to do it. Pays minimum wage and a tiny raise evey year. Managers yell at customers and employees so your survey scored are never good no matter how friendly you are. You get paid almost nothing to do the same jobs that your manager should be doing. If you NEED a job, work here, 10% discount is great if you're in college but if you can find a better job save yourself the bother and work somewhere else. Also don't expect to get a break unless you ask for one and even then you'll get complaints from your manager and will have to wait another hour or so.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Too much stress for minimum wage job
Fast pace/ senority means nothing
RECEIVING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 7, 2016
Not an ideal job/workplace environment. Dis-organized and no job security. Managements mood changes on a daily-basis. Favoritism happens alot. Unexpected requirements/expecation at times (especially in the heat working in a fan-based work environment-(over 3 hours for last breaks). Say they are a equal opportunity employer, but management finds ways around it by retaliating in different forms. Severity/punishment depends on who you are in the company and work place.
Pros
GOOD BENEFITS
Cons
YEARS OF SERVICE MEANS NOTHING/BAD RELIABLE JOB SECURITY/NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK NOR ENVIRONMENT
The Best Call Center I've worked for.
High Touch CSR (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYAugust 15, 2016
Staples understands it. The Call Center in Rochester is open M-F 11:30am-8pm. You are off and paid on holidays (XMas,Thanksgiving etc) You do not work weekends. If you're productive and you're interested, you can work from home. Staples supplies the equipment and you take care of the Internet and phone. You are working with business customers, so they are a lot more friendly than the general retail user. I've only been here a year and I'm still learning so I haven't applied for a promotion as of yet but they are available when time permits. Starting rate is $13.10/hour. Most of the managers were reps before so they are a great learning source. You won't find this at any other call center. The only thing that bothers me is they will train you on multiple accounts and still pay you the same. You are expected to help on those accounts when needed. I believe if you're giving a person more work they should be paid accordingly.
Pros
No weekends, work from home, paid holidays, if you work in office office supplies are free, 20% discount on Staples brand products
Cons
No leeway with attendance policy, only a 40 cent raise after a year, trained in multiple departments with the same pay
Not a bad place to work.
High Touch Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Orange City, IAJuly 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time working here. You occasionally had people problems, but for the most part everyone was respectful. The hardest part about working here was that the policies did not allow for life. While some people got away with anything it seemed like. Those who were trying there hardest and failing were not given any help. Sometimes snow happens and your kids get sick. They attempt at being flexible without actually achieving flexibility.

Hardest part of the job......having a family at the same time.
Pros
dependable pay check, insurance benefits
Cons
attendance policy doesn't allow for snow storms and sick kids for mor than a couple of times a year
A stable corporate enviroment with good benifts
Senior Billing and Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 11, 2016
Staples is a large corporation with great benefits. The company is currently having some financial uncertainty given a changing economic demand in their field and they are forced to make some difficult decisions which resulted in my termination. Many of my daily tasks were predictable, but I enjoyed the problem solving tasks or things that were not as predictable the most. I enjoy analyzing data and trying to find a better solution to benefit the company. The hardest part of my job was finding the balance with prioritizing tasks, but I was able to overcome that by analyzing the process and urgency of each task and addressing them accordingly. Staples offered great benefits and the management was both knowledgeable and approachable. I was given the several opportunities to learn new systems and expand my trouble shooting abilities throughout my time at Staples and overall, I would say it was a great company to work for.
Pros
Great benefits, large corporation
Cons
Company culture was very corporate, I would love a more fun dynamic as I think it improves the overall office enviroment