Staples Employee Reviews

Found 5,661 reviews matching the search
Do not work for this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNJune 24, 2017
Not too many great things to say about this company. No competitiveness for better wages. Everyone is stuck in their own little circle when it comes to work. They come in, clock in, work and clock out.
Very Productive
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 24, 2017
Staples is a great place to work and it is really competitive. A typical workday includes helping customers and ensuring that you get the correct products that they came in looking for. A lot of coaching and training with the associates to ensure they have the product knowledge and ability to close the sale.
Enjoyed my time at Staples
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAJune 23, 2017
Great customers, and interesting products.
Loved working in the copy center. A great experience to challenge your creativity.
Monthly bonus for all associates a possibility.
Good Atmosphere
B2B Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 23, 2017
Great Culture to work in. Tough is you have a territory that has too many reps. Company only promotes internally which is a plus, but takes awhile to achieve a better paying position.
I am so tired of doing these reviews
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 23, 2017
Staples is a good place to work. Terrible pay, but awesome to work at. Very family oriented company. Dont really know what else to say besides that. Pretty much your run of the mill entry level job.
Productive and comfortable workplace
Cashier/Print & Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJune 23, 2017
Staples has been an excellent place to work in so far. Within the location I work in the management makes sure to be functional, but doesn't push their employees to the point of exhaustion or being sick. They care about their workplace.
A typical workday for me is fairly busy since I work within the Print and Marketing Department, which stays fairly busy throughout the year.
I like it because it keeps me on my toes, there is never a dull moment.
Hardest part of my job is making sure every order gets done within a timely fashion. It can tend to be fairly problematic if we promise a customer one thing, and it isn't done promptly.
Pros
Occational Free lunches, decent pay and wonderful coworkers
Cons
Benefits tend to be fairly difficult to set up according to coworkers, and doesn't have any benefits available for part time employees
Amazing benefits for full time
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 22, 2017
People usually work here who stick around because of the benefits. Payroll is constantly being cut by corporate so if you are part time dont get mad at your managers, its beyond their control.
Pros
Management training program if you want a career within the company
Cons
What breaks?
decent place
INVENTORY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 22, 2017
overall, staples isn't a terrible place to work. It is just the store I was working at of course but the management sorta sucked and was very difficult to wok with. The other employees are the only thing that kept me there for as long as I stayed.
staples
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 22, 2017
it was an ok company to work for, the hours were unstable and would often cause some conflict with my personal life. My managers were awesome! Had a different crowd of people come in everyday.
Okay part time job I guess...
Associate Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, NJJune 22, 2017
Overall working here is boring and your assignments are very repetitive. If you're young and interested in a part time then this is okay, but compensation is very low.
Great opportunity for advancement
Fulfillment Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beloit, WIJune 22, 2017
A typical day would include finding out our goals/tasks for the day and giving that information out to associates at a start up meeting. Delegating tasks or locations to associates based on their skill level. Keeping up with payroll, making sure we are hitting goal, VTO associated based on production levels.
Large turnover
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 21, 2017
Very large turnover for B2B sales. constant changes with in the company. They will often change sales goals. lots of write ups and turnover. The small business sector sales people aren't given the tools they need to suceed.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
so much turnover, and changes with in the sales process.
Dead-End Retail
Easy Tech Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10463June 21, 2017
As a retail store I doubt Staples is very different from many other stores. For the amount of work they wanted us to do we were not paid nearly enough. Everything felt orchestrated so as to extract the maximum amount of work from us while paying as little as possible. Also we were told to lie to customers and say that we didn't have expensive electronics hardware in stock if the customer didn't want to purchase a protection plan.
It was a great place to work
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 21, 2017
Staples overall was a good place to work and I met a lot of great people.I learned many things over the years which helped develop me into a strong manager.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
I worked with Staples for about 15 months , it is a great job. You meet different kinds of people on a daily basis , just being able to satisfy a customers needs is a great feeling . Only disadvantage is that all position's are part time except for management. Another disadvantage is it takes a very long time before you're given the opportunity to grow from a sales associate into management . Otherwise overall , i enjoyed my 15 months working with Staples.
Very unreasonable standards and policies
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJune 21, 2017
I was the certified technician and the unrealistic standards they set were something else. management often lied about policies in order to get you to do what they wanted. The pressure to sell plans was through the roof although not impossible to reach these goals the associates were often not taught about said plans policies and the way they worked. Being a Tech at staples is very stressful due to the fact that you are the only thing on the floor so all the sales pressure leans on you. Management was very hard to work with and if i had a nickel for every time i was told one thing and another was done i could have retired and moved to Florida by now. I'll be honest if they put more effort into catering their employees as well as educating them with equipment and policies then it would have been as bad. The main issue i ran across in store 0380 was management and the constant difficulty and lying. I will say once you get past the managers and some supervisors its like a family and some of the best people i have ever worked with, you know what they say "you quit your manager not your job" well unfortunately ive seen that numerous times at Staples but with the people you work with you can make the environment just tolerable enough to work. Overall i do not recommend Staples as a place of employment but hey who knows if you love to kiss the rear ends of managers and break policies and also love to lie to employees to make sure you get what you want then you might be a perfect match.
Pros
The people who i miss soo much, working next to target was nice
Cons
short shifts, hard to work with scheduling, management is unbearable, no real growth opportunities, no chances for full time unless you're a supervisor or higher, the work loads they put on associates is super high (techs mostly)
Good, if there was better management
tech associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 20, 2017
When I first started working at Staples all was fine. However lousy managers are what really brought down the experience for me. It got so bad that I had to leave.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
bad managers
Generic Stocking Job
Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 20, 2017
Boring generic retail stocking job. The people are great, but the job gets boring quickly. Corporate obviously doesn't care about generic employees. High turn around. Most people stay longer than a year because the job is easy.
A Very Productive Workplace and Fast paced work environment
Sales Associate/Retail (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 20, 2017
Working at Staples was a Great Experience A typical day as a sales associate would be greeting customers, making sure store front was neat and clean, putting merchandise where they needed to be, stocking the shelves, and helping customers throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of a regular day was making sure the customer was happy and satisfied. Sometimes it would be days where the store did not have what the customer needed, or the merchandise wasn't in stock. What I learned about management was working in a fast paced worksite you have to be always be focused, and make sure stock and merchandise is always, neat and where it needs to be. Make sure we engage with the customer, understand their needs and demonstrate deep knowledge of information about the products in the store.
Pros
People I worked with were outgoing, Gained a lot of experience
Cons
Very Low pay, long hours for little pay
typical day
Customer service, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 20, 2017
i learned about competitive pay. Management was alright. Workplace was very slow. The hardest part was selling the rewards. The most enjoyable was my team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.