Staples Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,564 reviews matching the search
Good first Job, very accomodating, not much room to grow
Tech Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDApril 5, 2016
Good place to work, not much room for promotions or anything unless you wanna work there forever. Otherwise, they provide very flexible schedules for part timers and student, and pretty much anyone who needs a flexible schedule. The management varies from store to store, but mine was 1051 in Ellicott City at the Long Gate Shopping Center. There aren't many benefits, they do provide health insurance and all the basic stuff though. The pay is what you'd expect of a retail place. Overall was a good place for a first job, lots of customer experience to be gained, sales experience as well.
Pros
Good management, team work friendly environemnt
Cons
No real potential to gain promotions
Good enough for a start
Technology Supervisor (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAMarch 4, 2016
When it comes right down to it, making sales and earning your numbers and budget for the week are all that matter, despite being told otherwise. In fact, it seems as if everything you're told to do by management completely clashes with the demands of higher management or corporate-level requirements. Management focuses on customer service, but corporate focuses on meeting budgets and numbers.

As an employee who worked as an associate as well as a manager, the amount of pay for the work requested is good for beginner-level work. Even as a supervisor, the pay was below living wage. Staples is best seen as a place to gain experience in the field, but not a good idea as a future career unless you are a General Manager or higher.
Pros
Benefits to even part-time employees.
Cons
Numbers and budgets are valued over customer service, Lying is encouraged to protect weekly numbers and budgets.
Ample Opportunities to Advance Career
Senior Sales Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAMarch 3, 2016
At Staples, there is always a chance to find a new opportunity that will help you to advance to the next level. Although you may not see a quick path in terms of being promoted within your group, there are plenty of jobs that pop up elsewhere within the company. You will learn a lot at Staples, but like most corporate atmospheres, it can be very cutthroat. You can't expect to have your hand held when it comes to advancement.
Pros
Decent pay, lot of opportunities to learn more skills
Cons
Health benefits, management doesn't really care about you
What can I say.. It's retail...
Computer Technician (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 29, 2015
overall, I did not have a bad experience while working with Staples other than the fact that they will almost never make you full-time. No matter how great your performance is they will not give you a raise or increase your hours by much. Management is usually pretty good. Co-workers what can I say, you have some good and some bad. This company has a high turnover rate as far as I know and there is a reason for that. Hardest part of the job is walking all day and dealing with upset customers. But what can I say.. It's retail.
Pros
I got to work with computers, co-workers were pretty great.
Cons
full-time no chance, benefits non-existant, promotions good luck, raises good luck, more hours good luck.
Slow-paced and Little Pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 6, 2016
There is way too much pressure on management and there is not enough employees. Most employees are overworked for minimum wage and cannot finish jobs because most are not given enough hours to work. Store hours keep changing. Big push on digital receipts and protection plans when most customers do not want them. They don't put any money into their stores so the store is old and outdated and dirty. The candy in the store melts during the summer because they barely have the AC on and turn it off half hour before the store closes. The stores register system is frustrating to use and so slow it makes customers impatient.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Minimum wage, no advancement oppurtunities
Great company to learn the ropes...
B2B Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
Starting at Staples will prepare you for any career. The hardest part of your day is deciding what to do first!

With so much growth potential and so many line of business, I recommend Staples Business Advantage as any junior executives starting destination. With great training and support, and with tons of experience at the senior leadership level, you will learn all of the ropes and more.

The hardest part of the job is partnering with the retail store teams (as in any company).
Pros
Team atmosphere.
Cons
Below industry compensation.
Hard to transition into Staples Advantage
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 25, 2016
Accountability varies significantly but trying to improve
Excellent value proposition for customers
Competitive in most areas
It is very challenging to onboard new associates.
Management skills vary significantly from one area to another.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Inconsistent management
Easy Tech Computer Repair
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 8, 2016
Staples appears to do everything possible to keep employees part-time to avoid any kind of benefits. In my particular case, the general manager did not want to have technology in her building. This made it difficult to work proactively to solve problems.
Understandably, you work the hours the company needs you, which especially on a part-time basis, varied drastically from week to week. The result, especially providing technical support, customers were able to dependably speak with preferred techs. There was no way to predict from week to week when your time was scheduled.
Pros
The people are nice.
Cons
Low pay, inconsistent hours, lack of management support.
Nice Enough
RFP Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hutchins, TXMarch 21, 2016
The pay is competitive to the jobs performed. I've received vast knowledge about the Print industry. Upper management could use training for what their subordinates are working on. There seems to be managers who have no clue what their employees are working on or how to do their job. I love my co-workers and feel supported by them. The hardest part of my job can be understanding what the customer is actually expecting but I've learned which questions to ask to satisfy their requests.
I had fun here
Electronics/ Copy and Print Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLFebruary 10, 2016
My experience at Staples was a good one. I learned a lot about retail and customer service. I was able to utilize my computer and print skills. I made some good employee friends and for the most part, the daily operations were very organized. The only thing that I could note is that the management changed frequently, sometimes we would stay super late after closing, and each week our schedule changed. All and all, the environment was positive and the benefits were great.
Pros
Environment, organization, benefits
Cons
management frequently changes, staying late after hours, no set schedule
Awful Experience
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARFebruary 18, 2016
I understand not all stores are run by the same people, I have to say my experience at the store I worked in (mountain home, ar) was Awful! by far the worst job in retail I have ever had. I was the inventory specialist and had little to no training, management that was clueless, and was thrown under the bus within my first week of being employed there. I also felt that the management had their little niches and favorites and I did not feel comfortable or secure in my job while being there. I had left a job with decent pay but poor management thinking that it was going to be great there... Just needed to put in some work to fix the problems the previous IA had left, over the course of several months of not doing their job... I felt that I had been totally screwed over by a car salesman into buying the crappiest car on the lot for the worst price! However, having that horrible job left me with motivation to go back to college and find a career... I feel much better about the future... I now have a better job, with a lot less stress and I will never regret my decision to leave Staples.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
everything
Easy Tech Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 27, 2016
Staples is a very good place to work for. You must have a flexible schedule and be able to work all shifts including evenings and weekends.

Pay is good and you get regular reviews and raises.

Co-workers are fun to work with.

Work environment is very pleasant

During Holidays and beginning of school it is very busy and very fast paced, you must be able to work fast and do multiple tasks.
Pros
Very upbeat company and good pay
Cons
Health care benefits are not very good.
Review
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  PAMarch 20, 2016
Excellent company to work for. There are opportunities to move within new roles of the company. The compensation was very lucrative however, they no longer pay any where near as much as they used to in all sales roles.
Pros
The people and management
Cons
Compensation
great place to work
Customer Service and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 5, 2016
although i only worked there for a few months, the people were fantastic, the management was a good balance of work and play and very knowledgeable of their products and company. staff was always willing to help out to give the best customer service possible.
Pros
work life balance, management, busy
Cons
low pay
Productive and high volume work environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 26, 2016
The job is going well, I am learning more everyday about handling sales and organizing multiple tasks. Everyone are great people as well.

The thing pushing me away is the low hourly wage and the fact that they will not allow more than 25 hours a week part time and that is not enough to support my family.
Pros
Benefits, advancement, great people to work with and a very strong company.
Cons
Low hourly pay, incompetence in work place and restricted hours for part time employees (25hrs) max a week.
Fairly laid back but it is not somewhere I would make a lifetime career.
Certified Onsite Technician (Former Employee) –  Lewis Center, OHMarch 20, 2016
Management is kind and flexible but work is often not completed because employees do not take pride in the work. The company also seems to attract customers who feel they deserve a lot for little to no compensation.
putting the customer first
cashier,sale associates (Current Employee) –  Orleans, INApril 3, 2016
as a cashier you get a chance to all kinds people each experience is different It is vital it last chance to get the sale by meeting their needs I always try to remember their names for when they come again how valuable life is and what difference the people work with every one has gift and team work well together. Management are best teachers they have creditable ability to go over information again until team understand what their trying to convey hardest part of the job is when people aren't understand their part I love the people
Pros
insentives and free food ect
Cons
not able to work more because budget based on sale of the day
Need to look at the culture and long timers who are stagnant
Manager (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 11, 2016
Nice management.
Company going through a reorg now. should consider carefully if looking to work at this company.
Work life balance is good.
Many long term staff, who get promoted base on tenure and not skills.
People have taken business casual too far, and some look very dumpy.
Pros
caring managers
Cons
not secure right now
Na
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILMarch 29, 2016
Good Work Culture. Excellent work life balance. Scope for learning new technology. and ventures awesome environment a a a a a
Pros
NA`
Cons
NA
Tough but can be rewarding.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTMarch 26, 2016
Requires your complete attention and effort at all times to succeed at the job as well as maintain a reasonable work/life balance. Compensation on the upper end of the spectrum.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.