Staples Employee Reviews

Found 5,822 reviews matching the search
Good for those with other income
Manager On Duty/Inventory Specialist Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 23, 2017
This is a good starter or secondary job for those not needing to live off of it. Job is very demanding but fun for those who are numbers and inventory minded like myself.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Low wage and high demands
Good Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2017
Good Company, Good Environment, pay good, Good Company to grow, have programs in place to help the community, Good for small business to help with business cards etc.
Enjoyable
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 23, 2017
I feel as though it's very hard to move up in this company just like any warehouse enviorment. This company could do better with letting the employees know that they care, I do love going to work and feel as though I can learn something new everyday being in the position I'm currently in.
Pros
Pay decent and Vacation seems fair
Cons
Very strict tardiness policy
good mgmt
Easy Tech Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 23, 2017
Mgmt was really nice and caring not only about their customers but their associates.

The job doesn't pay very well but I was young and didn't have much to pay for at the time. Best for students not yet in college.

The work load wasn't difficult.
Rotating schedules
and there isn't much room for growth.
Sales Associate Computer Tech
Sales Associate Computer Tech (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAJuly 23, 2017
Nice place to work. Customers are nice, other employees work well with everyone.

Advancement is hard to get and additional training would be helpful.
Its a toss up
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2017
Great as a sales associate.

Managers undergo extreme amounts of pressure. For them, there is no work/life balance.

Intense selling culture. It is not just about selling office supplies.
Stressful situation
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJuly 22, 2017
Start up meeting is good, but your opinion will not be respected. They do give most employees a chance to learn different aspects of the overall operation. Management is unstable. I worked there 10 months and had 3 different supervisors. The place is like a high school, and very unsafe. The hardest part of the job is the disorganization. The best part of the job is the pay rate.
Pros
good base pat
Cons
stressful
Stressful high demand job
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJuly 22, 2017
Incredibly high stress job, where sales metrics and valued above all. at the location where i worked for three years during which we went through four general managers and two assistant managers the turn over was so high there was a new face every week due to the lack of any real management. when the location was finally closed down for reasons that were never made apparent we were given three weeks notice and one week of severance which was denied to ninety percent of people for simple reasons. If you missed one sales goal or had a single even mildly negative comment on your record your severance was pulled and you were left high and dry.
It was moderate
Sales/Stock (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 22, 2017
Didnt have trouble doing my job . Most of the work was simple and not that hard of heavy lifting. Greeting customers with a smile and having respect ..
Wonderful
Customer Service Associate (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJuly 22, 2017
With lots to do day to day this job keeps you on your feet.
There are lots of fun people to attend to on a day to day bases.
Management always has you on the go with new experiences and lots to learn.
The friendly environment is a good leaning experience with defferent back grounds of different people.
The hardest part about this job is to not have time to get to help everyone before the end of the day.
Decent
Sales and Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 21, 2017
Very metric driven. Expectations are pretty outrageous for management especially if only part of the management team cares. Good atmosphere and customers are decent.
Stressful, but satisfying experience in a retail environment with great co-workers
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCJuly 21, 2017
Staples, Inc. is more concerned with revenue than employees.

Managers were more interested in reminding everyone to "engage" with customers than rewarding employees for the outstanding work that was actually accomplished.

The workplace culture was one of pressure to meet certain "daily goals."

The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with customers, even those who were difficult. I'm confident that I gave each one my best.

I learned a lot about retail sales, most of it very satisfying, and some things not necessarily good. I think the hardest part of MY job was reaching the "goals" set by the individual store, but more importantly by the corporate culture.
Pros
Working with enthusiastic co-workers.
Cons
Half hour lunches, but only for those who worked over six hours, and the fifteen minute breaks that were over before you had a chance to sit down.
Productive, enjoyable , and frendly work place
Cashier/Customer Service & copy center (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA and menifee caJuly 21, 2017
I loved working at staples. I got along great with all my co workers and customers.my managers where always fare, and it was a fun place to work 2 thumbs up!
Pros
Christmas dinners
Cons
Breaks could of been longer
working with computer systems
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJuly 20, 2017
working with computer systems to scan product and ship to offices or customers. management was great always cared for their employees and they promoted from within the company. that was easy.
fun, competitive, knowledgeable
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 20, 2017
The best part of work in Staples was the competitive environment trying to meet our daily goals getting to know new people learning so much of technology, copy center or just different kind of business clients that came in to the store.
Pros
Building relationships with the clients and employees.
Cons
The amount of time I had to put down with short breaks was hard some times.
Slow pace
employee (Former Employee) –  TNJuly 20, 2017
I already wrote a review so here is some generic stuff. Slow paced. local management is good. Corp management is not. Customers are customers. no advancement.
Great Company to Work for in the Heyday of Retail
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHJuly 20, 2017
I worked for Staples for 17 years and started out as an hourly computer tech and worked by way up to General Manager where I spent my last 10 years and I still bleed Staples red. However, times have changed and the industry is different than it was in 1998, 2002, 2005, and even 2010. Staples.com has flourished but the retail side has not. What I noticed over the last 5-8 years I was with the company was that our policy of internal promotion stagnated as they began to cut back on stores and reduce district managers and other higher level management.

There is hope for the company as everyone needs office supplies and the online side is incredibly strong. Hopefully Staples adapts to the change in the retail market and keeps the stores in the best markets.
Always new things to learn and discover
Copy and print specialist (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CAJuly 20, 2017
Always new things to learn and discover including products, services, and more. I felt like a kid in a giant craft area at home in the copy and print center where I could demonstrate constant creativity and endless possibilities for creating and producing one of a kind work.
Pros
Fun and interesting, never a dull moment. Always discovering awesome new products and services available year round.
Cons
Returns and go backs
Positive Enviroment
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJuly 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at Staples before joining the Army. I excelled very quickly and had the opportunity to show my strengths to corporate. my coworkers and managers were extremely fair and encouraging.
Pros
Always had wonderful customer service
Cons
Having customers doubt your skills and knowledge
Great amazing workplace
Tech Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New Milford, CTJuly 19, 2017
I loved staples and loved interacting with customers and fellow employees. The atmosphere is so positive and would love to work there again in the future.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Can get boring sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval