Staples Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,411 reviews matching the search
putting the customer first
cashier,sale associates (Current Employee) –  Orleans, INApril 3, 2016
as a cashier you get a chance to all kinds people each experience is different It is vital it last chance to get the sale by meeting their needs I always try to remember their names for when they come again how valuable life is and what difference the people work with every one has gift and team work well together. Management are best teachers they have creditable ability to go over information again until team understand what their trying to convey hardest part of the job is when people aren't understand their part I love the people
Pros
insentives and free food ect
Cons
not able to work more because budget based on sale of the day
Stressful, demanding, hardest sales job I have ever had
Corporate Business Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 26, 2016
This by far was my worst job since graduating college!
The quotas grew dramatically from month to month and year to year.
The sales pipeline shrank dramatically as they limited the size and scope of the companies we targeted for corporate sales contracts.
If you were 80% of sales quota for one month they would give you a 30 day notice that you would be fired if you did not recover lost sales quota and meet the quota for the current month regardless of overall sales for the year. For example, I was awarded Business Development Associate of the entire Midwest Region one month and then given a 30 day notice for the next month when I was only at 70% of the sales quota for that next month. Really, BDA of the entire Midwest region one month and in jeopardy of losing your job the next? All because some of the contacts in my pipeline did not close before the end of the next month. When they finally did close a few days after the month end, I was told that I was safe and wouldn't lose my job. It wasn't long after that ordeal that I found a safer and more stable job- even if I did have to take a $30,000 pay cut. It was worth it!
Pros
Flexible hours, great pay, great benefits
Cons
Incredible job insecurity, demanding quotas, shrinking target market
Na
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILMarch 29, 2016
Good Work Culture. Excellent work life balance. Scope for learning new technology. and ventures awesome environment a a a a a
Pros
NA`
Cons
NA
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHNovember 1, 2015
I love my position at Staples. The company cares about their employees and is constantly evolving. Staples is making the right moves to compete in the future. Future looks very bright with this company.
Pros
Fast paced, opportunity for advancement, family culture, empowered work environment
Cons
Compensation, Expectations sometimes overwhelming
Great place to work as an Energy Specialist
Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 3, 2016
You drive to peoples home to qualify them for a free program. The program weatherizes their home at no cost to the customer.

Management is supportive and wants you to succeed. It is a team environment.

Overall I would recommend the job to a friend.
Pros
good pay, decent benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Use your own car
Dedicated people.
Easy Tech Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 27, 2015
This particular Staples has a hard-working, dedicated staff working for them, management and associates. Only real problem is not having enough employees to staff key work areas. On various occasions the Tech Department will find itself in Furniture. Not a big problem unless they have customers going to the tech area at random times. If we had less turnover, we would be able to get the job done more efficiently. We would also be able to give a fair schedule, so that people could spend more efficient time with family.

We've come to recognize repeat customers and reward them for their consistent patronage the best we can, as well as deal with problem customers to the best of our abilities.

Since I've been with Staples, I've learned how to take the computer knowledge that I do have and expand on it. It makes it easier to think outside the box when normal protocol does not cover the problem.
Pros
Tech Inside info, decent 401K
Cons
Almost no Full-Time positions, woefully understaffed, work too many nights to spend with family.
Great Company
Vendor Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 3, 2016
Fast paced, results driven company. Learned how to prioritize and meet team objectives. Strong individual contributor and team player.
Worked well with team members and management. I was a good go to person because of my contacts and knowledge within the company based on my tenure.
Benefits
Cons
Heathcare
Good job to start my IT career
Mobility and Technology Associate (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCFebruary 16, 2016
Little to no advance opportunities. Not suitable with my education and experience. Good job to start my IT career. Retail is not my specialty; therefore, I seek employment other than retail to further enhance my knowledge and experience. Hardest part of job is making the sale and especially selling the services that Staples offers. The most enjoyable part of the job is troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing personal computers. This part of the job is often not a priority and management minimizes the requirement to get services completed within a reasonable time as defined by customers. In other words, management question why services are not completed on time; however, tasks assigned by management typically do not include service completion. Priority of tasks are not beneficial to the customers. Most, if not all, of my co-workers are not college graduates and do not have extensive knowledge about technology. As a result, I am often responsible for training these co-workers which reduces productivity. I am equal to them in every category (pay, benefits, supervisory) except working hours, knowledge, and experience. The last two, I exceed the expectations of Staples and my co-workers. Honestly, I have not learned anything while working at Staples; however, I have taught a lot. There seems to be no concern with work attendance. I have been called in to work for a no show multiple times since I began working at Staples in September 2015. No consequences for absences or tardiness.
Pros
pay check, customer relationships
Cons
short breaks, micro management, no growth potential, low advancement potential
Greedy Company Now Failing!
Furniture Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 5, 2015
Longest job I've ever had, pay was low, incentives for a while, then diminished. Learned how to self manage, maintain, and run entire furniture department on my own for 2 1/2 years. Co-workers some were immature, lazy, and not motivated to work. Hardest part was adapting to change in job culture. Fun part was taking advantage of the company, hiding furniture that was on clearance for your own low price benefit (i.e. original cost of nice glass tower stand would be $179, got it for like $10.00 on clearance). Managed to take advantage for the benefit of myself after working honestly and very hard. Greedy company, CEO's and executives only care about themselves. Sorry little raises every year like $0.20 to $0.25 cents a year if anything. Fragile place to work. After I left, they suffered dramatically. Vice President of Marketing or something like that only gave me a dollar gold coin that which anyone can get, instead of giving me like a $100 store gift card, all I got was recognition.
Pros
Taking advantage of company legally. Learning new products.
Cons
Low pay, lazy workers, benefits very expensive.
Enjoyable and rewarding
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAFebruary 21, 2016
During my employment at Staples I was able to help customers discover the right type of office equipment to fit their needs. As a computer technician, I help customers in fixing their computer problems and provide advice as to what to do in their particular dilemma. I further learned how to run the store and make management decisions, I was a key holder and was required to open or close the store as required and perform cash room operations including opening the store and setting up tills and closing including collecting and counting tills. I was also in charge of inspiring other employees to promote internet sales and further monitored sales for the store.
Not a Long-Term Company
Easy Tech Associate & On-Site Technician (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 12, 2015
Staples was not a very enjoyable company to work. I worked as a tech and was responsible for selling all kinds of attachments and products. I had to repair computers and sell further services to customers such as software. The hours were great in the beginning but since Obama Care kicked in part time employees get 15-22 hours a week rather than 30. Unfortunately, that still meant working 3 or 4 days a week with shorter shifts. This makes it time consuming and limits your ability to get a second job. The people in my store were great, upper management was very unresponsive to support for the stores if it didn't have anything to do with sales. Staples has a lot of potential and hopefully they soon realize they need to support their people.
Pros
Associate Rewards/Bonus Savings Events, flexibility, Easy Advancement, Stock Purchase Program, Long Breaks
Cons
Low Pay, Short Hours/Many Days, Often Shorthanded, Low Morale
Tough but can be rewarding.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTMarch 26, 2016
Requires your complete attention and effort at all times to succeed at the job as well as maintain a reasonable work/life balance. Compensation on the upper end of the spectrum.
Team oriented
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEOctober 20, 2015
The work at Staples is explained and as an associate you do your job. The longer you are an associate you learn more and the work gets easier. The employees and management are great as you get to know each other you become a team and pick up where one has left behind and know how to. One of the best things at Staples is the part-time benefits. Overall working at Staples has been great, my only major complaint is the pay sucks, even though its considered a "starter job". I think they should pay more based on experience, availability and quality of an employee.
Pros
Co-workers, part-time benefits
Cons
Hourly wage, no full-time for cx svc associates
Good/ Bad Experience
Sales Associate /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 18, 2016
I loved my job at Staples but my Store Manager was very rude to me and very disrespectful to our customers. I was a cashier and also worked in Copy Center( hardest part of my job). I always completed my tasks and my online training assignments. My customers loved me! I always had a positive attitude and a smile on my face.
I got fired with no termination papers, wasnt even given a reason why she had let me go. She fired me on the day I was registering for classes at my College.
I had got the approval that it was ok if I didnt make it in that day from all my other store managers.
But other than that I Loved My Job. My customers made my day EVERYDAY!
Pros
discounts
Amazing Stores, Amazing Staff!
Business Machines Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAJanuary 2, 2016
I worked at both Palm Desert and Palm Springs. I worked at one with a rude over bearing manager that used intimidation tactics to make people work harder and one that would hide in his office 24/7 and not work with associates at all. Polar opposites but two reasons I was never able to stay at Staples.
Pros
Good Pay, Learned alot!
Cons
No possibility of upward mobility
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMarch 11, 2016
Raises and job promotion was determined by personal feelings. Social settings and not work product were considered in making managerial decisions.
Typical Job
sales associate (Former Employee) –  mcalester, okOctober 23, 2015
I would arrive to work 15 to 30 minutes early and clean the restrooms... Once the doors opened I was to stay near the register to assist customers with checking out and finding the product they were looking for and to get them the assistance they needed... It wasn't a bad job but that is all it was a job... With three kids to support by myself and Staples made it nearly impossible to support my family only giving me 15 to 20 hours a week... I am looking for a career and Staples wasn't getting me there... If management had kept to their word and promoted me I would probably still be there...
Pros
freindly work enviroment
Cons
lowsy hours
Decent management, Not difficult work, too many extras to sell
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYMarch 6, 2016
Management generally helped do plan-o-grams as well as stock counters and carry out heavy items for customers. Scheduling was mostly full time associates during the days, part time on nights, weekends and holidays, as it should be. Managers did not over manage instead employees were well trained and self motivated. Loves that I was left alone to do my job. The best part of the job was the bonus program they had in the late 1990's early 2000's that allowed everyone in the store to benefit therefore inspiring employees to take more interest in doing their jobs well. The worst part of the job was to many requirements to sell additional items such as rewards cards, warranties, emailed receipts, item of the month all at check outs while still wanting a fast friendly checkout.
Pros
Scheduled full time employees Mon-Fri days, Bonus program, team attitude
Cons
Interupted breaks, no more bonus program, hard sell tactics on extras, to few employees, disproportioate pay between uppermanagement and store employees
Good part-time job for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAJanuary 8, 2016
I personally liked all of the managers I worked under. They all had different management styles but were still able to work together, and expectations of staff were still consistent.

Very accommodating when it came to scheduling. If you were a good worker, and wanted more hours, you could generally get them. If you wanted fewer hours, they would give you fewer hours.

No unreasonable expectations. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with disagreeable customers, and even that isn't too terrible. Managers were never disdainful about helping with an escalated customer service situation.

If you do a good job, it's noticed, and sometimes rewarded with incentives such as Star Points. Overall, a good place to work as far as low-wage retail jobs go!
Pros
accommodating schedules, good management
Cons
customers are petty when it comes to their rewards
Job is good for high school students
Computer Technician/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Raritan, NJJanuary 4, 2016
A job where advancement comes far and few between. The working environment is kool you meet a lot of nice people ..i just dont believe that there is room to progress and advance unless you are already in a management position
Cons
no advancement in sight