Staples
3,131 reviews

Staples United States Employee Reviews

Staples was a temprary positon where I worked between my sports seasons in high school.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Riverdale, NJApril 12, 2015
Pros: oportunity to gain work experience
Cons: lack of training
At Staples, I worked as a sales associate who worked the register, stocked shelves, cleaned, managed carts and dealt with damaged products. I learned how to work with customers and manage the register.
Good place to get started
Furniture Dept. Manager/Easy Tech RT (Former Employee), La Vale, MDApril 12, 2015
Pros: You can basically do whatever you want. Free lunches etc.
Cons: Staples doesnt pay good employees, constant lowballing
Walking around and selling, work is easy.

You can learn anything as long as you show interest.

Management is typically horrible and filled with yes-men.

Co-workers are of all different backgrounds, but typically everyone gets along and if you don't fit in, you're shown the door promptly, through getting your hours cut to nothing.

The hardest part of the job is its the same thing and the same customers, but you can become accustomed to it.

After a while, management is lax, you can do what you want basically if the numbers are there.
Slow/Boring workplace
Sales Associate/Retail (Current Employee), Goodyear, AZApril 11, 2015
While working at Staples, you have to greet each and every customer or else you get reprimanded for it. The customer comes first in this workplace, above everything else. Not many hours are given and the pay is barely above minimum wage.
Lab if fun place to be
Principal Quality Engineer (Current Employee), CambridgeApril 10, 2015
As a Principal Quality Engineer I Coordinate and Plan for manual/automated testing for functional and nonfunctional testing of Apple, Android native apps. and web app. Ensure that offshore and onshore testing resources understand current priorities and are completing and reporting on their testing efforts. Execute and write functional automation scripts using Appium. Keep stakeholders informed of testing status, and provide assessment of deployment readiness. Coordinate crowd-sourced testing activities with Applause (uTest) project manager. Involved in coordinating UAT tests with internal and external sources. Building team at onsite and offshore and mentoring QA resources. Involved in conducting trainings and facilitating QA and cross-functional meetings. Play a role of Scrum master as and when needed.
B2B Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Las VegasApril 10, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: retail!
Staples is a good place to work especially if you enjoy office supplies. If not, you might get bored selling and working with those supplies.
Sales
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTApril 9, 2015
Pros: Fun place to work
Cons: Short on payroll
Sales would not be consistent enough for us week to week. We live in a state where the cost of living is outrageous and most people live paycheck to paycheck so trying to get them to purchase a warranty or attachments on all items was a tough thing to accomplish
Fun workplace
Copy and Print Professional (Current Employee), Bastrop, TXApril 9, 2015
Pros: Laid back environment
Cons: Lies to move up a level
This is a great pace to work for if you are in high school.
Management here does not work together very well. Gossip is to the extreme.
Excellent work place with awesome people
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hanford, CAApril 9, 2015
As my first real retail job, it definitely is a place to begin when learning to work well with customers. There is plenty of training even when you think you have it all down. The management is very laid back and welcoming so its not hard to talk to them. The hardest part of the job is keeping calm with unruly customers or unsatisfied customers. The most enjoyable part is probably closing time.
Great
Compter Tech / Sales (Former Employee), Brighton, MIApril 9, 2015
Pros: Fun
Cons: No benefits for part time
The company is great to work for. I learned quite a bit from working there. It was fun working there and working with customers.
Great people
Corporate Associate Relations - North America (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 9, 2015
The organization is full of great people that care about internal and external customers. The associates work hard to take the organization to the next level.
Staples (Former Employee), Reading, PAApril 9, 2015
My typical day at work was me on the register checking customers out. I would also help them if they were looking for a specific product. While it was slow I would stock items, check expiration dates on food items, box ink, spider wrap electronics, etc. I usually kept pretty busy. Some of the people I used to work with, including the general manager, was very unprofessional. My co-workers were typically pleasant though. The hardest part was trying to help some of the upset customers. The most enjoyable part of my day was being able to fulfill a customer's needs. I would make sure to include coupons if they were not aware of them.
fine
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), FloridaApril 8, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere
Cons: no job security
I left the company because of store closings. The store I was in, the associates were fun and it felt like family, The company is all about money and not so much its associates.
Great Place to work!!
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Paramus, NJApril 8, 2015
I am the Operations Supervisor and I handle store operations such as customer service and making sure the shelves are full.
Sales Manager
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Danbury, CTApril 8, 2015
Expectatios for this position are not supported by corporate. Not enough hours not enough support with merchandise to meet sales expectations on the mobile end. Not enough promotion.
OK place to work if the management got it together.
Sales Assosciate (Former Employee), Goodyear, AZApril 8, 2015
Overall the typical day at work was rush for most things when in Copy Center and making sure stock was available on the floor when in other departments. While there I did learn more things about actual print procedures. The managers were either over worked or didn't care what happened. The co-workers were either content with their job like a few I met or were there because it was what they could get and just did the bare minimum of what was required. The hardest part of my job was explaining my limitations and having a boss that didn't care as long as the job got done. I enjoyed the interaction with customers and the satisfaction that helping them brought.
Interesting Origination
Computer Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore MdApril 6, 2015
Pros: Preview to Sales
Cons: Short breaks
Repair computer left by customers
Organize shelves
Management not consistent with work duties
Co-Workers Great
Saturday eve price changes
Working the Cash Register
Productive place of employment. Fast Paced.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great workers, fast paced.
Cons: Less hours, short breaks, open on holidays except Christmas Day.
On a typical day, I'm usually a cashier. It's all basic knowledge: If you know how to read a total to a customer, you're set. One of our merchandisers left, so now I took over her spot. I guess you can say I moved up? So now I do both, cashier AND work on the sales floor. I am still waiting to learn more about the Copy & Print center.

From what I learned, I learned that almost any idiot can work this job. It's easy, fast paced, and if you don't mind working the nights and weekends, you're set.

The managers are (from a scale from 1-10) I rate them a 8. Of course you have that one manager who is rude, doesn't listen to what someone has to say, and you'll get that in almost any retail job. All in all, everyone is really NOT that bad.

My co-workers that I work with are AWESOME! I love working with everyone and it's always a fun day. You really have to find your own fun with where you work, otherwise, it'll be so boring and you won't have any fun.

The hardest part of my job? There's nothing really hard about it, to be quite honest. The only thing is, if you're afraid of heights, DO NOT WORK THE SALES FLOOR!! We have to go up ten foot, almost fifteen foot ladders.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with. There's always a new adventure of working at Staples.
Staples
Department Lead (Former Employee), Victorville, CAApril 6, 2015
Better than most retail companies, but still lacking in some areas. Advancement generally hits a block, with little regard to potential.
cashier and copy and print associate
Cashier and Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYApril 6, 2015
Worked mulitiple departments and handled all different tasks

loved the management and co workers

learned how to balance multiple job requirements for different departments
Poor Reinvention Concepts
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), NYApril 6, 2015
Pros: Work/Life is decent for retail.
Cons: Poor high level managment
The company's reinvention plans have diluted a strong company reputation. High level management is ill-equipped to identify and navigate the company though the needed changes.

Difficult to build success with a company where we are constantly down-sizing and losing our quality staff members.

About Staples

There’s a whole lot more to Staples than you probably ever imagined. As the world’s 3rd largest internet retailer – Read more

Staples Salaries