Staples Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,496 reviews matching the search
A stable corporate enviroment with good benifts
Senior Billing and Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 11, 2016
Staples is a large corporation with great benefits. The company is currently having some financial uncertainty given a changing economic demand in their field and they are forced to make some difficult decisions which resulted in my termination. Many of my daily tasks were predictable, but I enjoyed the problem solving tasks or things that were not as predictable the most. I enjoy analyzing data and trying to find a better solution to benefit the company. The hardest part of my job was finding the balance with prioritizing tasks, but I was able to overcome that by analyzing the process and urgency of each task and addressing them accordingly. Staples offered great benefits and the management was both knowledgeable and approachable. I was given the several opportunities to learn new systems and expand my trouble shooting abilities throughout my time at Staples and overall, I would say it was a great company to work for.
Pros
Great benefits, large corporation
Cons
Company culture was very corporate, I would love a more fun dynamic as I think it improves the overall office enviroment
Great place to work with diverse associates that take pride in their work
Inventory Control Specialist (ICS) (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIJuly 11, 2016
A fast paced warehouse environment with very hectic deadlines and production goals. I have learned vast amounts on the warehouse logistics side of the business as well as production monitoring and control. Management was helpful and effective. My co-workers were very dedicated and goal oriented with attention to detail and quality. They were also a fun and diverse group of people that made it enjoyable to come to work every day. The hardest part of the job was trying to make deadlines with a very short supply of staffing and a lot of different deadlines taking place at one time. It made delegation and follow up essential. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see the end result after all the hard work and planning that was done.
Pros
work events, wages, great people
Cons
staggered breaks to cover, health insurance, incentives
Good Workplace
Office Supplier Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellerose, NYJuly 11, 2016
It was amazing doing all of these activities. Not only I get to learn a lot of things but it was fun working with different people. Everything was enjoyable and I get to learn so much in these activites
difficult work for medium pay
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NHJuly 10, 2016
management was great. Some days, there was a lot of running around and feeling that I was underpaid. I am leaving/left because of cutting down hours, and I wanted my usual.
Pros
good managers, fun people to work with
Cons
hard work, manual labor, broken ac
Most horrific work experience of my life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYJuly 10, 2016
The managers are lazy, rude and abuse their power. They don't care about the company or their employees. I felt very unwelcome and uncomfortable most of the time.
N/a
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
outstanding place to work with coworkers as friends and i guarantee u will make life long friends out of ur coworkers also a very fun place to work
it was a great experience
Stocker/Customer Service,floor supervisor (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAJuly 10, 2016
go in see what got to be done, i learned how to control the flow of the merchandise, management team was very precise, i enjoyed working with my co workers.unloading the trucks, doing back to school when we was real busy
What it is like working part-time at Staples
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, TNJuly 8, 2016
A typical day at work: four assignments at once=impossible to complete.
What I learned: you cannot let authority fool you.
Management: none.
Co-workers: nice staff, a good policy for the work environment.
Hardest part: getting good sales and ratings when we are unable to tend to all of the tasks and customers.
Most enjoyable part: when it is slow, I can finish my assignments.
Cons
Short lunch break.
Shady and Bloated
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLJuly 7, 2016
While I did enjoy how friendly the majority of its employees were, I must admit that I was also very dissatisfied with how disposable those same employees were. Very little leeway was given to uncontrollable circumstances. I once worked with an employee that worked in the printing department. Besides how hectic and understaffed the printing center is on a daily basis, the district manager approved of illegally copying and printing newspapers. It may seem silly, but it was made a law for a reason. While most can't even think of what one could possibly do with a copied newspaper, that doesn't change the fact that it is a law. The employee was against the printing job because of that very law. The district manager told him to do it anyway claiming it was in the interest of the customer. I'm pretty sure it could be "in the interest of the president", and while i can't imagine anyone saying no to the president, it is STILL illegal! It's clear that Staples Managers are above the law when it comes to lining their already fat pockets with more cash. All this while the other employees are barely getting by on the poor unstable hours, and therefore being forced to get another job just to get by.

I am happy to say that I left of my own accord. Staples is no different than any other retail store! Even the easytechs (the guys that were supposed to be fixing computers for their earnings) spent only about 10% of their work day actually touching a computer that wasn't on display! The rest of their day was spent selling! A computer repair technician shouldn't be required to do all the selling
  more... for electronics! It takes away from their ability to properly focus on their repair work, and puts them in a field that their minds aren't designed to operate. They don't even keep their job from computer repair success. They only keep their job because they sell a computer every so often. I know because that was my position!

I'm sure that there is plenty of you out there that think it's just the best company to work for! "We get benefits even if we're part time". Give me a break. You have to work for them for a year for that. They keep you at part time until you get into a supervisor position (having more than 2 per store is rare). Even then, you are by no means promised 40hours. My supervisor often only got the bare minimum 32. Not even a good pay raise for all the extra work and responsibility that is required of you. Maybe in more active areas, things are a bit different, but this isn't a chain store. It's a franchise. When something big changes in one store, it changes in all stores.

Argue with me if you want. You cannot change the negative experience I and MANY others have had at the greedy hands of Staples (and retail stores like it).
Pros
High turnover rate makes for easy hiring.
Cons
Just about everything else. Actually, you're likely to be part of that high turnover rate too. So... Everything.
Company great for Office Supplies
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 7, 2016
Sell great furniture, household items, computer's and great sales on Alot of item's. But no Health benefits, you can get cash back up to 50.00 Dollars in cash back.
Pros
10 percent discount, weekly pay
Cons
No full-time position
Good
UI Developer (Current Employee) –  StaplesJuly 7, 2016
It was good experience working at this company. Learnt a lot and good place for any one to work. If given one more chance, Would like to work here.
Fun place with its finger on the pulse of technology
Easy Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCJuly 6, 2016
There has been a lot of room for advancement, and the management team is pretty open to ideas on how to increase sales. Being a sales job, it allows you to meet a wealth of people who come from all walks of life. That, for me, is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job.
Good starter job
Sells Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2016
Great job for people in high school or for a starter job. Easy to learn and not demanding. Company promotes from inside so if you do your job well there are a lot of room to move up in the company.
Great coworkers great customers
Copy Print Pro (Former Employee) –  Atascadero, CAJuly 5, 2016
A typical day starts out coming in and getting to work right away by keeping the status of all orders for the day and helping customers if they are in line, and answer phones as well. ALL the coworkers there are very happy to be there energetic and outgoing, it was never a dull moment there. I t was stressful at times where we had to get orders done by a short deadline but rewarding to see the smile on customer's faces when they received their order in the EXACT way they asked for it.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Really hectic
Fun and productive environment
Easy Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIJuly 5, 2016
Fun environment but serious at the same time. Learned many things along with feeling appreciated. Enjoyed my time there.
bad communication between staff and management
STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GAJuly 5, 2016
A typical busy day at Staples is dealing with multiple customers at one time and closing sales within a five minute period. You also had markups where you would sale protection plans and accessories that go with the different products. At closing you would clean the store and lockup. If you were stocking you would have to be there at 5:30 am. The staff was great. However, the management would accuse me of trying to get them fired. the enjoyable part of the job was closing deals.
Pros
great sales enviroment
Cons
hard to get along with management
Good company to work for
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 4, 2016
The pay wasn't so bad for warehouse associate, and learned how to monitor production volume and pick to voice. Management are easy going and understanding. The downside would be long hours almost daily and say goodbye to sleep.
Pros
free lunches, benefits, and awards
Cons
long hours.
Company is sinking
Inventory/office supply lead (Former Employee) –  Shirley, NYJuly 4, 2016
The store I worked at closed, before that they were trying to compete in every market but office suppies. I heard they have been laying people off left and right. Not a good place to build a future.
Supportive workplace
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAJuly 4, 2016
I enjoy the positive team environment of my workplace, but I would like more hours than they can currently provide. Typically, I work with customers at the front of the store to check out supplies and manage any issues that arise.
Not very good
Copy & Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seekonk, MAJuly 3, 2016
Very difficult to move forward in the company and pay to work ratio was way off. I was doing ten thousand dollar print orders and making 10.48/hour.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.