Staples
2,956 reviews

Staples Employer Reviews

Environment influenced by management
COPY & PRINT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), FloridaFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling, learning environment
Cons: sometimes no breaks, low pay, stressful
Very busy environment with little coverage to manage customers and order production. Some management do not like to help out when busy. I have worked in the same store for 7 years and seen management go through 3 GM's and about 6 Assistant/Operations Managers. The atmosphere depends on the management, but corporate office restrictions make it difficult to run an ideal team. If you are not full time you will only get about 20 hours and management is VERY STRICT on this policy. The people are nice and it can be fun at times, but also overwhelming if you do not know how to manage your time. Staples has taught me lots of skills and I have never had any issues with management or policies. If you meet your goals you will have no worries, but if you don't corporate will start calling you out and making visits to your store. As long as you follow procedures and get your work done on time you will be just fine here.
Stress Retail
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Los Angeles CaFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: great vision insurance
Cons: high turnover, minimal part time hours
You must not be afraid to ask customers about add-on, Square Trade, eRecipts, Rewards Cards. You have t show results. Worst thing is that corporate keeps cutting back hours even though the number one complaint is that there isn't enough associates on the floor. Customers tend to be needier than any other retail environment I've worked at.
fun, fast paced work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2015
i gained alot of experience in customer relations. able to handle transactions faster and more efficiently. learned that i like working as a part of a team
Staples: A Working Nightmare
Copy Center Expert (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: easily accessible (2000+ stores worldwide)
Cons: awful pay, awful customer service
I've worked at Staples in multiple departments for the past 3 years. Staples is a great place to start off your working career, just to get your feet wet. If you're working another job or attending school, it's a great way to get a couple of dollars.

Let's begin.

As a retail associate, it is advised that you try to quickly move up in the company, or suffer otherwise. Twice a year, Staples gives their associates employee evaluations every 6 months which typically includes a raise. As I said before, I've been at Staples for 3 years which means I have received a total of 6 employee evaluations and 6 raises!

HOWEVER...my pay started at $8.75 in 2012, and, 3 YEARS LATER, I am currently only making $9.99! A whole $1.24 difference! On top of the horrible pay...the hours are frequently cut with little to no warning every single week (as expected in retail). But in my store, my general manager gets upset at associates' "lack of flexibility" when they find other jobs due to the dreadful lack of hours and decides to cut hours for that specific reason.

The management is just awful. AND you practically have to beg to be considered for a promotion, well, unless your buddy-buddy with your general manager.

I've had to call HR twice due to lack of respect after being talked down to like a child, and due to my managers editing my timecards without my permission.

Staples has/had so much potential and yet it's digging a deeper rabbit hole to fall into due to global customer and employee DISSATISFACTION (which is what counts towards a long-lasting successful business). I could be wrong as Staples has made some positive strides...but I predict a massive downfall for the office supplies giant in the next 10 years.
A Day in the Life of a Sales Manager
Sales & Services Manager (Former Employee), Westbury, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: being the only manager in the building most of the time.
My average day consisted a basic routine. Check to see how close I was to my weekly budget in my different categories. I would then review the schedule to see who I was working with while walking the sales floor for opportunities, most times creating a list. While walking the floor, I would make sure customers were being helped and would say hello to everyone. Finally, I would take a look at inventory that remained from truck.

After doing this, I would just systematically go through the list, delegating what was possible. Obviously the list would be interrupted from day to day happenings. Customer issues, system outages, coaching opportunities, helping customers, etc.
Decent place to work.
On-Site Technician (Current Employee), Guntersville, ALFebruary 12, 2015
Overall Staples is a decent place to work. Management at my store is very good, but advancement opportunities not so much. Once you reach a certain position all you can do is wait for someone to be promoted or fired. Full time positions are few, and it seems Easy techs are the only part time employees that make a decent wage.
Good job but not good for everyone
Stock Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: i like the hours you work.
Cons: short breaks
I like it but you have to be willing to work in a fast pace enviorment and sometimes it show so you have to do things to pace time.
Productive Workplace
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: job advancement
Cons: short hours
Typical Day At Work Was Working In The Front Of The Store With Customers.
What I Learned While Working Here Was How To Operate A Cash Register.
Hardest Part Of The Job Was Standing Up My Entire Shift.
Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job Was Meeting New Customers.
staples
Easy Tech Supervisor (Current Employee), FLFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: you can get go clearance items first
Cons: pay not worth it
when i first started at staples in 2001 everything seemed great, but slowly things were starting to show. The store managers don't get along with each other. The District managers don't really care about anything but what the numbers look like and if you met your budget. Overall I could be working at McDonald's so I wont complain o=to much.
My experience, and days with my employer.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: experiene
Cons: pay
-Typical day was register,sales then home.

-I learned to make sales and stock inventory.

- co workers were nice and management

-meeting sales quotas

-meeting new people
Business enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee), Falls Church Va.February 11, 2015
Pros: meeting people
Cons: short lunch
I stand at the front door and try to greet all customers, when customers are ready for check out I ring them out. My managers are great. I get along very well with all co-workers, None of my job is hard. I enjoy meeting and greeting customers.
Only good for short term work
Copy & Print Associate (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 11, 2015
Staples is a good company for people who don't have any work experience yet. They aren't a good long term job but for the collage student or anyone right out of high school, this is a good place to start.
Too much responsibilty not enough pay.
Inventory Associate (Former Employee), Freeport, NYFebruary 10, 2015
Cons: no raises
They wanted you to do everything for little compensation. Never got a good raise. place sucks. period. blah blah blah blah blah blah.
i loved my job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Glendora, CAFebruary 10, 2015
I liked my job at staples it was a fun experience for me, I loved working with customers and knowing and showing the knowledge I had with office supplies
Fun
Copy and Print Center (Former Employee), Mooresville, NCFebruary 10, 2015
Good Company. Many stores for growth and able to move around the country. Can move quickly up the ladder to management. Need to have more stores in the southeast.
Not a company I Suggest
Sales Associate (Head Cashier) (Former Employee), Northern NJFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: some management
Cons: short breaks, pay, benefits, associate discount
- Cannot work more than 20 hours per week

- No benefits (health, 401K, etc) for part timers

- Constantly wanting sales increase when they just take more and more from their workers and customers

- Even when your sales are 10X MORE than coworkers your pay is .06$ more..... .06$.....

-Best thing about working here for me personally would be me exploring the district and meeting General Managers and networking with people high up (General Managers, District Managers, Sales Managers, ETC)
Exciting new line of business, but there's much room for improvement.
Account Manager (Current Employee), Framingham, MAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: good initial training; upbeat and supportive team mates; exciting, but nerve racking being on the leading profit edge of a dwindling office supply industry.
Cons: work life balance isn't there., bring your smartphone with you on vacation to work on client issues/orders/payments (yes, you collect payments for every order.), . hours doing research, reports, support is hard to find at the worst times of need.
Either you're knowledgeable of the Print business or have a background in Promotional Products or you're willing to spend countless hours learning and ever changing business. You work hard at finding new "qualified" prospects, then ask for permission to sell to them after you've submitted your first order. Then, lose the customer due to no fault of your own OR you manager won't approve the account and you don't get paid. It isn't easy and the compensation is $15,000 below what I was told I could earn. Hopes and dreams you'll ever stay long enough to earn $60K.
Decent entry job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), greenbelt, MDFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: fast-paced environment
Cons: low pay
A typical day working here was very eventful but not worth the pay.

I have learned that if an employer does not show appreciation to their staff, then it makes it hard for employees to dedicate their time into a position.

This was a very easy job to have.
I enjoyed every aspect, except the low pay and the change of the management staff.
Irresponsible
sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), North andover, MAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: 10% discount
Cons: short breaks, no free lunches, no agreed hours
Came in at about 4 pm, we ring out customers and do our customer service duties. At the end of the night we box and hang up ink and we take out the trash, after this we leave but managers do not stick to their word on letting us out at our time of scheduled release after all our work is done. Rides for associates who do not drive would wait outside for as long as an hour after their scheduled time to go. Management is not very responsible or professional either
Staples Advantage
Account Manager (Current Employee), La Mirada, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: building my book of business and working with customers
Staples is a great place to work with great management and co-workers. Very professional enviroment. I am on the phones most of the day partnering with my customers to help them with their buying whether it be office supplies, furniture, technology, print, promotional products , cleaning and breakroom products. I am always looking for new buyers and growing my business. I focus on year to year sales and retention. I make visits to some customers for reviews or to promote a program . I really enjoy working with my customers and buidling rapport with them.

About Staples

There’s a whole lot more to Staples than you probably ever imagined. As the world’s 3rd largest internet retailer – Read more