Staples Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,483 reviews matching the search
Enoyable work environment with room to learn
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Yuba City, CAJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of greeting customers and making sure their needs come first. Next I would begin daily routine projects such as inventory, stalking shelves, adjusting price changes through out the store. I would provide back up coverage for all departments such as copy center, cashiers and technology, I enjoyed this the most. It gave me a chance to learn something new and meet new people in every department which made me much more flexible and more knowledgeable of the store itself. Management was always there when needed and trusted in the employees.
Pros
Vacation time, great benefits and work BBQ's
Cons
short breaks
Great high school job, miss working here sometimes
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MADecember 30, 2015
I worked at Staples for about a year, and I worked as both a front end cashier and an Easy Tech (now known as Certified Tech) associate. I worked here my junior year to senior year in high school, and I actually really loved it. The managers for the first half of working there were amazing, they were all very laid back and chill. They always tried to talk to me and made me feel good, but eventually they all got promoted and we got new managers. The new managers were actually the reason I ended up quitting, didn't really like their attitude and they were rude to many of the employees. About five others quit because of them, including me.

My co-workers were amazing. It was a big Staples but there were only about 20 employees (maybe less) and we all knew each other very well. It was a very friendly environment and I felt comfortable working there, we all came to be like a family.

As a Certified Tech the hardest part of my job was probably having no idea what to do at some times. I received no training whatsoever for EasyTech, I'm pretty knowledgeable with computers and I can fix software related issues on my own, and I can sell most of the technology products as well. Printers were a bit awful since I knew nothing about them and nobody told me anything, so I ended up teaching myself a lot about them and other products so I didn't sound awkward when talking to customers.

It's a really nice job but I wouldn't want to work here the rest of my life. Great for a high school or college kid, though.
Pros
Employee games with incentive, awesome coworkers, flexible hours
Cons
Management, no benefits
Productive and Nice place to work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 6, 2015
My day starts depending on what route I would do that day so it could be 6:3--8:15 where I would load my truck and head out for my day. My boss is awesome couldn't have asked for a better one, the people I work with are pretty cool and funny we laugh most of the morning The most challenging thing I find that I have to do is I have to learn every route we have in the building which some routes are easier than others because we have what is called desktop deliveries and I would have to remember which floor what part of the building the customer is in and deliver their packages to either their office or the copy/stockroom. I like the freedom of being in the truck driving around the city and talking to my customers
Pros
Nice people, good benefits, easy to get time off when needed
Cons
Heavy lifting
Staples employee
Easy Tech Associate (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYNovember 11, 2015
Great place for highschool & college students to make some money. growth in the company is next to impossible and no real compensation for good work.
Pros
easy going work life
Cons
pay is lacking
copy center and customer service
Copy Center and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  College Point, NYDecember 10, 2015
helped customers, answered phone, made copies, binding, laminations, faxing, and took orders for business cards and stationary making
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
salary
Awesome supportive company
Contract and Commercial Sales NAD Division (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 7, 2015
Provide excellent training. culture of work hard play hard. excellent compensation package. Continuous training. Great opportunities for advancement. Strong team development.
Great job but very little room to grow as an employe.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  London, OHOctober 14, 2015
I have had great management and have been compensated fairly during my time at Staples. They have just decided to restructure their company and left little room for some employes to continue to grow.
Pros
Decent pay, ok benifits
Cons
no defined direction
Excellent Working Environment
Delivery Driver for Office Products (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 31, 2015
Great Staff, very competive salary, great working hours and coworkers. I learn a great deal while working at Staples, from using hand held computer devices to track, scan, inventory and receive products as it enter the warehouse, storage, and repack for shipment.
Cons
Mindless Coporation with no care for employees
Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 17, 2015
I've been with the company going on 3 years - and in that time frame, I've learned every department. I was given a promotion twice, however both times I was forced to step down from my position since the company does not allowed full timers to limit their available times, AT ALL. I have a small child that is in daycare, and when I voiced that a change in my SO's work schedule would mean that I would no longer be able to work past 4 pm, I was told that I had the choice to step down to a part time position, or be fired completely.

The corporate brains behind the mechanics of the company do not know how a normal day in a retail store works, and so they keep sending out rules that make a well run store almost impossible. During this christmas shopping season, we were not allotted any extra hours for the store's scheduling - in other words, corporate said we could only have one cashier, tech, and floor associate per shift. If you've ever worked or shopped at christmas time, you know that more than one cashier on shift is pretty essential to keeping up with the huge lines of customers during this time of year.

Also in my 3 years with the company, I have seen a multitude of store managers come and go in our local stores. Many of which were obviously terminated for no reason other than their pay rates became too high for corporate to want to pay. Only one manager I've seen fired was terminated for well deserved and truthful reasons.

Overall this company is not worth your time. They don't care about employees, they don't care about customers, all they want is money.
Pros
Yearly performance based raises, decent employee discount
Cons
Bad health benefits, poor management, no ability to work with associate availability
easy to work there
Easy tech associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 2, 2015
the environment with the co works was the best part about this job.
the hardest part of the job was working with computers, but once you got use to it, it was all very easy.
Pros
pay
benefits
Leading Office supplier
Greeter/Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2015
I enjoyed being of a team, customer relations, uniforms, tuition refund for education, 401 k, great management, cross training, and advancement.
Pros
community service
Benefits
great place to work
Customer Service and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 5, 2016
although i only worked there for a few months, the people were fantastic, the management was a good balance of work and play and very knowledgeable of their products and company. staff was always willing to help out to give the best customer service possible.
Pros
work life balance, management, busy
Cons
low pay
putting the customer first
cashier,sale associates (Current Employee) –  Orleans, INApril 3, 2016
as a cashier you get a chance to all kinds people each experience is different It is vital it last chance to get the sale by meeting their needs I always try to remember their names for when they come again how valuable life is and what difference the people work with every one has gift and team work well together. Management are best teachers they have creditable ability to go over information again until team understand what their trying to convey hardest part of the job is when people aren't understand their part I love the people
Pros
insentives and free food ect
Cons
not able to work more because budget based on sale of the day
Productive workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 21, 2015
The staff take care of their employees , making sure they develop work ethics and remain consistent with ratings. Not too difficult of a job but long hours of standing.
Pros
Catered Lunches & Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
good company years ago
General Manager Designate/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 23, 2015
I worked for them years ago on the west coast and every one was so happy someone had to retire to move up. The people and culture was fabulous on the west coast. When coming to the east coast and had to walk outside and look at the building to make sure I was still with the same company.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Hours worked as salary
Nice Enough
RFP Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hutchins, TXMarch 21, 2016
The pay is competitive to the jobs performed. I've received vast knowledge about the Print industry. Upper management could use training for what their subordinates are working on. There seems to be managers who have no clue what their employees are working on or how to do their job. I love my co-workers and feel supported by them. The hardest part of my job can be understanding what the customer is actually expecting but I've learned which questions to ask to satisfy their requests.
Great team members
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Picayune, MSNovember 12, 2015
Great atmosphere, immediate manager is fully supportive. Very good with team collaboration. Struggles slightly with balance of work / home life. Overall good company
Pros
flexible schedule for virtual employees
Cons
base salary
Loved Staples
OFFICE ASSOCIATE/COPY AND PRINT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIOctober 4, 2015
If it wasn't for me wanting a career in nursing and relocating I believe I would still be working there. I love the employees we had. We all worked together to get the job done
Pros
Promotions and fun atomphere for work
Cons
healthcare benefits suck!
Poor job security, but great employees
Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 14, 2015
Promises of upward advancement and fair compensation lured me to Staples only to find after 8 months that they are slicing the retail presence and over working the people that weren't eliminated. The whole company is moving towards an online sales theme and the store is only staffed enough to keep the lights on.

Expect the worst, because its the worst retailer I have worked for as far as caring about its employee base.
17 year employee
Senior IT Manager (Former Employee) –  FraminghamAugust 19, 2015
The company continues to try to reinvent itself instead of looking at what has worked well. The new IT leadership is bound to bankrupt the company as they are running it like a mom and pop shop.
They do not interact with employees and understand how the business or staff really works.

The leadership does not care about the employees, this is evident in the poor benefits that they offer and that he cannot keep control of his senior leadership with spending and staffing that leads to layoffs every year.