Staples Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,332 reviews matching the search
Staples is Great if You do Not care About Low Pay
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Camillus, NYApril 28, 2016
Loved staples. the staff was great and helpful. But they never had enough hours to give out. They did give good benefits and respected the employee.
Fast-paced retail
Tech Sales Supervisor/Resident Expert Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 28, 2016
Shift work without set schedules. Management more like babysitting. Understaffed stores interruptive of tasks and customer relations. Little growth opportunity.
Typical Retail Environment
Production and Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTApril 27, 2016
Your typical day in the Copy and Print department is very high paced and stressful. I learned to further develop my customer service skills in an effort to make every visit the most productive. Unfortunately there is very little support from management for this department. My co-workers were great people who really did their best with every customer interaction. The hardest part of the job was meeting all the demands presented by the company and by the customers. The best part of the job is interacting with so many customer types and growing a relationship with them and becoming a dependable part of their continuing business.
It's a great place to build a resume.
Tech Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXApril 27, 2016
They do a good job of teaching you a lot of different skills and it's a good place to start if you want to get into sales or management.
It's alright, a decent place to work at
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenville, TXApril 27, 2016
Working at Staples is a good well-balanced job. A typical day at work is clocking in, standing at my register checking customers out, going to break, working some more, and then going home. I've actually learned a lot working at Staples. I mostly learned about work ethics. Management is great at the Staples where I work. Everyone is nice (for the most part) and very knowledgeable. Co-workers are nice too.

The hardest part of my job is trying to earn enough of the daily requirements (rewards sign-ups, square trades, etc.) And it is getting even harder to keep up with their demands now. I'm willing to put out the effort and do a great job, but lately they keep raising their expectations and basically require us to make more sales and get more things like rewards sign ups and square trades, and recently they want us to start getting one MORE account per day. But I'm just a cashier, and it takes some time to discuss the MORE account with a customer, and even more time to set up a MORE account. Of course I'm willing to learn and I have no problem doing it, but again I'm a cashier, and I need to be available at all times to check out customers, so that makes no logical sense to me. And because of these new standards, I've been struggling to keep up with them, and they have this new system now that everyone has a card with all their requirements they have to fulfill, and they have you check with them before you can clock in or out for anything. I kinda feel like their treating us like children now.

I've never been threatened directly, but they have done it indirectly several
  more... times, because I have not been able to meet their new requirements. I love working at Staples for the most part, but what they are doing right now just makes it less fun to work there. I've even asked several times to my manager if I could transfer to another department, or cross train in other departments to expand myself, and they always came back telling me I had to first improve my performance on the register and get more items, such as the square trades and reward signups. But this has been going on for almost a year now, and I'm tired of playing this game with them. I feel like they are stunting my experiential growth, and it is very frustrating for me because I feel like I will be stuck on the register for the rest of my time there. I might start looking for another job because this is nonsense.  less
Lack of training, poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INApril 26, 2016
I worked for staples for a brief period, however, I did not receive full training so constantly caught myself trying to figure things out, management at the time was always inappropriate with the young female cashiers.
Pros
its a job
Cons
no proper training
OK place to work
STAPLES EASY TECH SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAApril 26, 2016
Working at Staples can be somewhat of a bad experience on certain days and very exciting other days. Working in Easy Tech I deal with a lot of customers interested in new computers and customers trying to fix their computers as well. Although the tech supervisor worked on most of the machines, I have learned a lot from him as he is very knowledgeable in IT. Most of my time repairing devices comes with cell phone repair, mainly the screens and charging ports. Management, on the other hand seems to be hot or miss. One of the managers seems to pick personal favorites in employees and hold them to lower standards than other employees, however the other managers do hold everyone to a similar standard of excellence. The biggest pro of working here is most managers want to help employees grow and perform better. This has led me to adopt new techniques while with customers and while working on electronics as well. My biggest complaint of working here is how understaffed my location is. It seems as though a manager and myself, or another employee is always on the register as a line backups for one cashier. My coworkers also seem somewhat hit and miss on their dependability as well as their attitude. Many times a cashier will call out and I will have to fill in their position for the day. Other times employees will shrug off suggestions for better work performance ( whether from a manager or other employee). The hardest part of the job, for me is lifting heavy furniture and electronics due to my back acting up. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see people  more... smiling and thanking me when I show them their newly fixed phone or computer.  less
Pros
Paid breaks, Knowledgeable Managers.
Cons
Understaffed, Hectic work hours
Frustrating and dishonest
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLApril 25, 2016
Even as the top sales person in the store, they still threatened my job almost daily. I was promised that if I stayed the top sales person for 6 weeks I could move to EZ Tech. After 3 months of remaining at the top, the job was given to someone else because they "couldn't afford to move me off the register" with the numbers I was getting. Customers in my town were demanding and abusive, no matter how accommodating employees tried to be. Management would always take the customer's side over the employee's, and go out of their way to make you look bad.

Having the opportunity to learn new things was fun. If you insist, they will let you cross train and take on new responsibilities, which keeps it interesting.

At my store, you couldn't trust management or coworkers to follow through on promises. Also, lots of opportunities to pick up hours, but never over time. If you work a double one day, you will be made to take those hours off on other days.
Pros
Plenty of hours if you're willing to work
Cons
No advancement, lots of double shifts, lies, minimum wage and no raises
Loved Working here
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYApril 25, 2016
Opening and closing the building daily deposits setting registers back. Training the associates, assisting with the hiring process scheduling associates.
great place
Computer Technician / System Support (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 25, 2016
learned alot from the place it defintely a place to test your knowledge with customers and to learn new things if any one is willing to learn, some nice benefits caring managements
Retail and Computer repair
Retail management (Current Employee) –  West Berlin, NJApril 24, 2016
I generally open or close the store. That involves counting the tills and the safe. I handle any costumer complaints and make sure they are happy with their shopping experience. I also repair any computers that come in and make sure the computer is in 100% working order to the customers satisfaction.
Pros
great custumers
Cons
no money
Likable coworkers
Tech Associate (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 23, 2016
A typical day consist of selling computers or another type of technology and fixing computers. Through it I have learned different aspects of the hardware and software of computers and what I should do to fix the problems and have learned how to setup a basic home network. My co-workers and bosses are all really likable people, of course there are a few that I don't always get along with. The hardest part would be dealing with angry customers and sometimes work can be very tedious, but I really enjoy talking to the customers and working on computers.
fun environment, great customers
Office Supplies/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, OKApril 22, 2016
They are an extremely fun company to work with. Our customer base is full of amazing people who value every employee at their local Staples store. However there is really no room to advance within this company unless you have a direct line into our HR department that is located in an entirely different state. The Store manager doesn't get to choose their management team. It is all chosen by a team in another state based on a one paragraph essay rather than by someone who can see your potential and drive daily.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
no advancement
Good Company
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, NJApril 22, 2016
Very good benefits and good work environment. Never had a problem with the people and the environment. Very fast paced.
Benefits
Cons
It was a quota driven place, i loved the competitiveness, I had won several awards for my competitiveness and hard work.
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 21, 2016
It was a friendly very competitive place to work it could be good at times and not so good at other times. It was a family oriented environment.
Pros
5 on 4 off.
Cons
Healthcare was expensive and not that good
Technical Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 21, 2016
Love to work here but need a growth and desired compensation.
Nice team accept 2 s
Doing some one else work is the hardest part.
All time at work is enjoyeble
Productive Place to Work with Upward Mobility
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAApril 20, 2016
Staples is a great place to work for work/life balance, upward mobility, and empowerment. Benefits could be better, and
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Healthcare is less than ideal
Consistent Work
Copy Center Supervisor, Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 20, 2016
Not a lot of room for advancement. No consistent work schedule for Management. Not able to schedule vacation time when you want.
Qualex, Inc.
HR Coordinator Strategy and Analytics (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAApril 19, 2016
I loved working for Qualex. Sad that they no longer exist. A great company with great people and great benefits. Room for advancement and then they closed their doors.
a summary of a typical day working on audits
Associate Sales Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAApril 19, 2016
Working on sales and use tax audits and personal property tax audits daily. Learned how to interact with audtiors and our management team to close audits timely and reduce any sales tax exposure by providing necessary documents to satisfy audtitors requests. Coworkers worked cohesively as a team to assist each other in meeting deadlines. Hardest part of the job was trying to obtain sales information that reconciled to what was reported on our returns. Systems are home grown and antiquated. Most enjoyable part of job was closing audits quickly and under reserve.