Staples
3,183 reviews

Staples United States Employee Reviews

Sales Manager
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Danbury, CTApril 8, 2015
Expectatios for this position are not supported by corporate. Not enough hours not enough support with merchandise to meet sales expectations on the mobile end. Not enough promotion.
OK place to work if the management got it together.
Sales Assosciate (Former Employee), Goodyear, AZApril 8, 2015
Overall the typical day at work was rush for most things when in Copy Center and making sure stock was available on the floor when in other departments. While there I did learn more things about actual print procedures. The managers were either over worked or didn't care what happened. The co-workers were either content with their job like a few I met or were there because it was what they could get and just did the bare minimum of what was required. The hardest part of my job was explaining my limitations and having a boss that didn't care as long as the job got done. I enjoyed the interaction with customers and the satisfaction that helping them brought.
Interesting Origination
Computer Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore MdApril 6, 2015
Pros: Preview to Sales
Cons: Short breaks
Repair computer left by customers
Organize shelves
Management not consistent with work duties
Co-Workers Great
Saturday eve price changes
Working the Cash Register
Productive place of employment. Fast Paced.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great workers, fast paced.
Cons: Less hours, short breaks, open on holidays except Christmas Day.
On a typical day, I'm usually a cashier. It's all basic knowledge: If you know how to read a total to a customer, you're set. One of our merchandisers left, so now I took over her spot. I guess you can say I moved up? So now I do both, cashier AND work on the sales floor. I am still waiting to learn more about the Copy & Print center.

From what I learned, I learned that almost any idiot can work this job. It's easy, fast paced, and if you don't mind working the nights and weekends, you're set.

The managers are (from a scale from 1-10) I rate them a 8. Of course you have that one manager who is rude, doesn't listen to what someone has to say, and you'll get that in almost any retail job. All in all, everyone is really NOT that bad.

My co-workers that I work with are AWESOME! I love working with everyone and it's always a fun day. You really have to find your own fun with where you work, otherwise, it'll be so boring and you won't have any fun.

The hardest part of my job? There's nothing really hard about it, to be quite honest. The only thing is, if you're afraid of heights, DO NOT WORK THE SALES FLOOR!! We have to go up ten foot, almost fifteen foot ladders.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with. There's always a new adventure of working at Staples.
Staples
Department Lead (Former Employee), Victorville, CAApril 6, 2015
Better than most retail companies, but still lacking in some areas. Advancement generally hits a block, with little regard to potential.
cashier and copy and print associate
Cashier and Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYApril 6, 2015
Worked mulitiple departments and handled all different tasks

loved the management and co workers

learned how to balance multiple job requirements for different departments
Poor Reinvention Concepts
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), NYApril 6, 2015
Pros: Work/Life is decent for retail.
Cons: Poor high level managment
The company's reinvention plans have diluted a strong company reputation. High level management is ill-equipped to identify and navigate the company though the needed changes.

Difficult to build success with a company where we are constantly down-sizing and losing our quality staff members.
Productive Fast Paced environment
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Lithia Springs, GAApril 5, 2015
Pros: Worked with your schedule
Cons: Management is not organized or consistent with SOP
Typical day at Staples consisted of coming in checking email, following up with the HR manager and my manager (Operations manager). Started my reports for corporate, then production and damages report. any kind of assistance for the supervisors or upper management or even the associates.
Copy Center
Copy Center Associate (Current Employee), Telford, PAApril 5, 2015
I love working with clients in the copy center. But I feel that the management doesn't care about the copy center workers. We have to skip lunches and no breaks because 95% of the times we working 8 hours shifts alone.
Ping Pong
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Lake Park, FLApril 5, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Lazy management & compensation
A typical day involves running around doing many tasks and helping customers. I have learned a lot and was able to move up in the past. Management for the past few years have been mediocre and lackluster. The hardest part of the is trying to find time to "actually do my job."
Sales/delivery/DOT/Hazmat/safety/customer service route driver position
Delivery II - Route Driver/Sales/customer service (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 4, 2015
Pros: Working for world-wide company
Cons: not ensuring drivers were offered other positions
Worked for company for 31 years. My manager was outstanding and my co-workers were wonderful.

Very sad that U.S. destinations are being closed for restructuring in my position.

Experience in sales/delivery/DOT/Safety/scanning and customer service with increasing and servicing customers and sales.

Learning different routes and adapting to new situations quickly.

Interacting with different companies/individuals everyday.
What you would expect
Cashier/Inventory Associate (Former Employee), Plymouth, MAApril 4, 2015
Menial task take up most of your day. Answering customer questions and directing them to the location of the product is another big part of the job.
Meh
Mobility and Technology Supervisor (Former Employee), Lewiston MEApril 4, 2015
Was alright for a while but the quality of work only relies on the managers there. Very numbers focused, very little pay and recognition for a lot of hard work.
Ship is sinking and deck chairs are rearranging.
repair, and sales (Current Employee), Geneva, NYApril 3, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything.
Everyone is replaceable. You will be constantly berated for performance metrics you have no control over, Customers will be yelling at you because the ad is wrong or you were never sent the big sale items. You will have no control over any of this.

You'll work no more than 25 hours a week as a part time employee. Going over is grounds for dismissal. Pay is abysmal for the amount of work you'll be doing, as almost all stores are understaffed.

You'll be expected to be a top salesmen, with no commission or incentives besides keeping your job. Don't worry about needing to do anything complicated, all tech work was outsourced to a remote helpdesk. If you can plug in a USB and click a few buttons you can be an EasyTech.
wow
Solution Technician Advisor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 3, 2015
Was told that i wouldn't make it to any supervisor position because i didn't kiss up to the store manager. Very long days i was the only one there sometimes and worked all areas of the store even in copy and print.
Don't do it.
Cashier / Sales Associate / Copy Center Associate (Former Employee), Middletown, New YorkApril 3, 2015
Pros: my co-workers.
Cons: short breaks, sometimes no breaks or lunches, management, pay.
Okay, basically, Staples is a company that I would not recommend anyone to work at. At least not at this store. Management is absolutely terrible. They'd much rather sit in their office talking about tv shows and eating pizzas then assisting customers or answering pages. Extreme favoritism, and if you're not a favorite, you best be prepared to be yelled at daily for the stupidest things. The people who work at the store, besides management, are some of the greatest people that I've ever met. I loved the store, and my co-workers, but the mistreatment from management overpowered the good. If you mess up, even a little, you will without a doubt be yelled at, and talked down to as if you're a child and completely incompetent. Also, if you like not taking lunches on 10 to 12 hour shifts then this is the place for you.
good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 3, 2015
the job is pretty simple come in do customer service. Make sure the sales floor is nice and neat. Wait for sales goods to arrive pack out all the product on the sales floor. Do an inventory check before leaving the store clean and prepare the sales floor for the next day.
Stressful environment with mixed results
Sales Associate/Cashier - Part-time (Former Employee), West Hartford, CTApril 2, 2015
Pros: Valuable work experience applicable to most career paths
Cons: Negative attitudes among staff
Staples works at a fast pace, placing priority on the customer, as it should be. Tasks such as restocking, blocking (also called recovery; pulling products on the shelves closer to the customer), operating the cash register, and customer service, as the name suggests, were designed specifically to please the consumer.

Working in a customer service position taught me a lot about people. I learned to be more patient and how to give clear instruction when assisting someone. Most importantly, I learned the value of small talk. Though I did not see the results of my work in restocking or blocking, I did get pleasing results upon earning a customer's praise.

The "Back to School" season, which can be compared to the congestion of Times Square during New Years, was the most stressful time of the year. The pace grew faster, the workload became heavier, and more problems surfaced than usual, such as running out of a product, receiving too much of another product, messier shelves, and not enough manpower. The stress of the day fried my brain even after my shift ended, though eventually I learned to multitask more efficiently and improved my problem-solving skills.

Unfortunately, my manager was overwhelmed from the stress of the job. She offered criticism to my co-workers and to me, but her methods were questionable. The yelling did not bother me, but she sometimes became too animated; in one memorable occasion I witnessed her throwing products from the shelves and across the store. Ultimately, the stress spread to my co-workers as well. Morale among them was low, and they seemed to be miserable nearly all the time. While I valued my time at my first job as a sales associate at Staples, I would not like to return to that kind of woeful work environment.
The worst company with the nicest people
Sales Associate/Computer Technician (Current Employee), Rockville, MDApril 2, 2015
Staples is a horrendous company but the people I have worked with have all been very nice. But the poor upper management, hour restrictions, lack of employees, and the myriad issues with the store make it a nightmare to work at.
productive
Copy and print specialist (Current Employee), bellrose nyApril 2, 2015
I learn a lot about multitasking, computer skill and organization. my management team is great and the most enjoyable part of my job is learning something new and meeting new people everyday.

About Staples

There’s a whole lot more to Staples than you probably ever imagined. As the world’s 3rd largest internet retailer – Read more

Staples Salaries