Star Career Academy Employee Reviews

Rewarding career
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJJune 6, 2017
Rewarding career up until the day the institution closed. This is why I selected "not likely to recommend" as a place of employment as they have shut their doors permanently.
Was a great company
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 24, 2017
Star career academy was great. While I attended school perusing my pastry chef certification they provided me with a job to help with transportation and tuition. I was very saddened when they closed the business while I was on maternity leave, because not only was it a great job but an awesome school.
good place to work
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 5, 2017
Days were full of activity with projects to make the company better for all stakeholders. Positive culture, good people, hard workers, growth oriented.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
regulatory environment
medical assistant instructor
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJApril 5, 2017
The program is not well set up.
Students are not properly selected.
Not enough equipment.
Management has an irrelative background.
Facility is not properly clean.
Great Place to work
Assistant Director of Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 5, 2017
Great place to work with wonderful co-workers. Agency that promoted with in. Unfortunately Star is no longer open as they ceased operations in December 2016.
Educational Environment
Corporate Default Loan Instructor ~ Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NY ~ Clifton, NJMarch 14, 2017
The majority of the Instructors are knowledgeable caring individuals.
The majority of the Corporate Staff (CEO) included is less to be desired and beyond need training.
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
non qualified employees
Pressure SALES
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 2, 2017
The real reason they are closed is because when a school gets greedy they start putting people in class that do not want to work afterward.(I want to keep my Public Assistance benefits type of student)the placement rate gets affected and the Dept of ED stop funding. after that the school can only survive on students that can actually afford 15k-25k for an education.
Pros
they were conveniently located
Cons
they were pressure sales orientated
A spring board to nowhere
Business Administration Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJJanuary 30, 2017
I prefer not to say more. I was told upon hire that it was recommended that I enhance my skills by enrolling in courses and seminars, but I was scheduled to work a split shift everyday from 8 am to 12 noon, then back at 6 pm until 10 pm 4 nights a week. That schedule leaves very little personal time. I was told I would have to work 1 Saturday a month, thankfully that never happened.

In the beginning I was told I should work whatever number of hours were required to get the job done. I was permitted to arrive early to grade papers and prepare for the day's classes. After changes in management, Overtime was forbidden, and I was told to get the work done in a very short period of time without going over 40 hours a week.
My experience at Star Career Academy was very fulfilling, the interaction with students and parents in assisting them to achieve their academic goal.
Financial Aid Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
Working at Star Career Academy gave me the opportunity to enhance my management skills and must important keep the department in compliance. I had a department from 3-5 financial aid officer, the financial aid department was very hands on with met on a daily basis approximately between 10-20 students this include prospective and in school students. I have worked for Star for eight (8) years, I held the position as a Financial Aid Director for past six (6) years. I have worked for -profit Institution for 19 years.

The best part of my job is to educate students on how financial aid assistance work from how is the best way to finance their education and seeing the end result of a student graduating. The culture of this school as the years pass by was friendly, approachable we worked as a team excellent communication between financial aid and admission and with our corporate financial aid team. The hardest part of the job was waiting for new guidance on new institution policy from our corporate office that result in a hurdle to perform our daily duty. Unfortunately for the past 4 years upper management change and decisions were made that cause the school to close mainly in the financial aspect.

I’m detail oriented, one of my strength is in customer services, counseling students, analytical, multitask, adaptable, and loyal. I’m a team player that is dedicated to my job in helping students achieve their career dreams. I like to collaborate with the company by suggesting new ideas that could work for us as a company and must important for our students.
Fun peers to work with
Senior Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2017
Had fun working here met great people although wasn't a big fan of the management team and the unforeseen closing of all the schools.
A typical day at work would be making outbound calls to inquiries and setting appointment and interviewing potential students.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
School closed out of the blue without warning and school had financial issues with lawsuits
Productive and fun place to work in.
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 6, 2017
In a typical day at star career academy I have to great students and sometimes there parents, set up appointments, call some students for payments, have a resume done of all the the money coming in the department and make a excel page with all the classes, teachers and time of class of all those students that were making payments and all that were not making there payments.
coworkers were great, food was good
Director of Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYDecember 20, 2016
There was a lot of food prepared by the students. Watching the excitement on the faces of the students was very nice to see. The passion and the talent that I saw was phenomenal. The graduation ceremonies were very rewarding for me.
Decent
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJDecember 6, 2016
I enjoyed the education and job aspects. It gave me a lot of training in the classroom as well as office work. I gained slot of knowledge with typing , filing answering telephones and meeting new people
Productive and fun work place
Lead Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 1, 2016
Overall good- co-workers in my department were great.
upper management lacked experience and communication.
Meeting deadlines, monthly budgets etc.
Assisting students/graduates with finding employment.
Pros
As long as you did your job everything went smoothly
Cons
No advancement/ raises
Cash Collections Specialist
Cash Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working in my department. My manager was extremely easy going and taught me all the in's and out's of Cash Collection. Dealing with all personalities of the students was challenging and rewarding. I felt good about the job I with held at Star Career Academy. Co-workers were willing to work with you to figure out the most fare way to handle students account. By interacting with everyone made my position extremely unique.
Medical Assistant Student In The Work Study Program
Administrative Assistant- Work Study Program (Former Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJNovember 20, 2016
Great place to work when they were open. Everyone was friendly, more of a "family". I loved my job but unfortunately for all employees and students they closed their doors.
Poorly ran
Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 18, 2016
Closed the doors and gave us 15 minutes notice...I think that sums up life at Star Career Academy. The senior leadership tried the best they could given the circumstances but their hands were tied as well I presume.
not a good company
Educator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2016
not a good company, the environment was stressful and the students had no real desire to learn the skills that it took to be a stylist
Love working for this company
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJSeptember 19, 2016
I have so much experience with this company learning nee things every day like the ideal im helping candidates to pursue there goals in the medical field.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great place to work.
Culinary Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2016
Great working with both chefs and students. Enjoyed making menus with students and then producing them. It was a pleasure working and learning with the chefs on staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Star Career Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8